OTA's 5/24

F.Chowds

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets held their third OTA this morning -- the first open to the media -- meaning this was the first look at the Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic on the practice field.

Tebow took reps as the No. 2 quarterback behind Mark Sanchez, as the team has made clear his role will be

Some of Tebow's passes came out a bit high. He was picked off on back-to-back passes in 7-on-7 drills, by Bart Scott and new Jets safety Yeremiah Bell. Tebow finished 6-for-10 in the nine snaps he took in 11-on-11 team drills, by an unofficial count

Tebow was also used on special teams, as the personal protector on the punt team.

Sanchez looked pretty sharp (and in case you were wondering, was the best quarterback on the field). His first three passes in 11-on-11s were incomplete, but that included a drop or two from his receivers. The highlight was a 75-yard touchdown to Stephen Hill, who burned Kyle Wilson on coverage. Sanchez finished 7-of-14 in 15 snaps during 11-on-11 team drills.

Absent from today's voluntary OTA were S LaRon Landry (his own decision), WR Santonio Holmes (in Germany supporting the troops) and CB Antonio Cromartie (spending Memorial Day weekend with family). Seventh-round pick Jordan White was also not here, but it's unclear if he has school obligations.

LB David Harris (unknown), LB Bryan Thomas (Achilles) and LG Matt Slauson (shoulder) did not participate in team drills.

Hill and first-round pick Quinton Coples worked with the first team, as coach Rex Ryan has said they would.

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

By an unofficial count, Sanchez took 17 snaps in 11-on-11s, 7-for-14 with a TD. Tebow took 9 snaps, 6-for-10. #nyj

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Mark Sanchez was making all the throws at OTAs today. Accurate on short, intermediate and deep passes. Impressive. #nyj

Tebow is more accurate than Sanchez.

CONTROVERSY!!!!

Tebow is more accurate than Sanchez.

CONTROVERSY!!!!

Tebow is so accurate he can throw more times than he's even on the field for plays! And I bet those back to back INTs to the top rate cover men of Scott and Bell were real beauties.

I think the bad news may be that if Tebow possibly becomes just a bit more accurate, he goes from the "throwing the ball so far off that absolutely nobody on the field can catch it" player he once was to the Sanchez-esque "throwing it a little off and, oh sh*t, there's a defender".

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez shines to wrap up first week of OTAs

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Jets wrapped up their first week of Organized Team Activities with this undeniable fact:

Mark Sanchez was clearly the best quarterback on the field on Thursday.

The fourth-year signal caller out-shined Tim Tebow by looking sharp on his short, intermediate and deep throws. While Tebow, who was running many of the plays for the first time, threw two interceptions in 7-on-7 drills, Sanchez connected with rookie Stephen Hill for a 75-yard touchdown.

Sanchez was relaxed and loose after practice, shaking off the scrutiny of him this offseason.

“(Tebow’s) popularity drives a lot of that,” Sanchez said. “At the same time, I wouldn’t be in this position if I couldn’t handle it. And I’m prepared for it.”

“I’m getting a good vibe from what we’re doing now,” Sanchez said of the offense.

A couple weeks after quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh told the Daily News that “poor decision making” contributed to bulk of Sanchez’s career-high 26 turnovers last season, Sanchez admitted that the theme this offseason has been ball security. (Running backs coach Anthony Lynn had a 20-minute power point presentation on the correct ways to secure the ball).

“I got to take care of the ball better,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez was undaunted by the increased media attention and focus on Tebow and him.

“We’ve been to the playoffs around here,” Sanchez said. “We know what it’s like to have different media outlets. When you get a guy as popular as Tim it’s just natural. It’s good exposure for our team.”

Tebow was shakier on Thursday.

“Absolutely (it) had a competitive vibe,” Tebow said. “It was a lot of fn. I feel like we have a very good pace. We’re getting in and out of the huddle… getting a lot of plays off, which is something that Coach Sparano stresses. So we want to have a good tempo. I feel like we were very competitive.”

Tebow’s college coach Urban Meyer was in attendance to watch his former pupil, who made some nice passes after scrambling out of trouble, but threw two interceptions to Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Tebow said. “But it’s 7 on 7. Those plays… were the first time I ran them. So I’lll learn from it. Honestly, it won’t bother me again. When you make the bad play, you got to put it behind you and move on. I felt like I did.”

Tebow also practiced as the personal punt protector on special teams after doing it for the first time on Monday. Special teams coach Mike Westhoff told the News a few weeks ago that he envisioned Tebow as a “more potent Brad Smith.”

But it was clearly Sanchez’s day.

“As you get more and more comfortable with the offense, you just go out and play,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “There’s not that much thinking involved. He knows these plays pretty well and obviously there’s a lot more room for growth. At this point, being this early in OTAs, I think he’s really comfortable with it and it shows.”

New offensive coordinator has left little doubt about what he wants the team’s identity to be this season.

“Last year, more than anything, we were a really game-plan specific team,” Keller said. “You may see a heavy running game one game and then we’re throwing the ball 70 times the next. We know who we are now: We’re a power football team that can (also) throw the ball.”

NOTES: Santonio Holmes, who was in Germany visiting the US troops, was absent. Antonio Cromartie was spending with his family and wasn’t in attendance. Darrelle Revis said that LaRon Landry missed OTAs, in part, due to “family issues.”

Bryan Thomas, who is rehabbing his Achilles, didn’t participate in team drills.

David Harris had a wrap on his calf and didn’t participate in team drills.

Archived