When did Mike DeVito become a scrub?

stoicsentry

All these posts talking about "OMG, Coples-Pouha-Wilkerson will be amazing," how the hell did Mike DeVito get so quickly forgotten? Even the coaches, like the defensive line coach will leave him out of conversations even as he's mentioning guys like Kenrick Ellis and so on. DeVito has been beasting for us the past couple years... still want to see what he can do in this rotation.

When he became a one dimensional player who was never suppposed to be a starter in the first place. He has played nicely but his tenure as our starting DE should be over. I hope he stays on the team of course, but he should be considered solid depth. Not our the starting DE on a top 5 D IMO

DeVito wasn't the same last year, probably because of the injury. Great guy, the ultimate hard worker, awesome locker room presence. That said guys like DeVito will forver be replaced with guys like Coples. Upside wins. Even when it doesn't win. Think about it.

I posted this interview in another Thread. I think it's very relevant to this thread so I'll post it again. It's an interview with Mike Pettine. It really answers a lot of questions we have been posting about.

The Jets really like their young DL. They are going to be putting a lot of the core of their D on the DL. They are looking for big things from Aaron Maybin, Sapp, and Kendrick Ellis.

Type D fronts they will be employing.

I post a lot of newsey, interview kind of stuff. This is a really good one if you want to know what to anticipate from the Jets D this year. . Or a least what they hope you will be seeing

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/NFLN-Jets-to-use-famed-46-defense-in-2012/6b886a11-b568-42bb-b373-1835b1106d6d#?id=44d266cd-f43f-490b-bc27-5e72dc82fd1b&channelName=Recent

DeVito is one of my favorites -- exceptional run stuffer, great motor, and great glue. Coples is a complementary piece, not a replacement.

No, he was drafted to be a replacement. If he's a complementary piece to DeVito, he's a bust.

Mike DeVito is a scrappy, lunchpail guy who plays with a ton of heart.

And thoughts like this are why the Jets arte stuck in mediocrity. We need guys like this on the team, not as our our starter. When the game in on the line, and Big Ben is back to pass on 4th down, Mike Devito is rarely the hero.

DeVito is a solid starter and a great run defender, but the Jets are looking to make that DL an elite unit with lots of young talent. DeVito will still undoubtedly get plenty of playing time this year, but if Coples can be what the Jets think he can be, having him starting along with Wilkerson and Pouha, with DeVito, Dixon and Ellis coming off of the bench, that has the ability to be one hell of an impressive unit, and one that won't be crippled by a single injury. When you add in the number of tweeners they have to play DE in the 4-man fronts (Maybin, Pace, Thomas, etc), you can see the shift in emphasis on D they've made over these past two seasons and as much as I like DeVito as a player, when trying to build up a unit the way the Jets have, it sometimes involves sending those pretty good players to the bench, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if they're willing to take on that backup role and strengthen your depth, and the replacement is an upgrade.

DeVito is a solid starter and a great run defender, but the Jets are looking to make that DL an elite unit with lots of young talent. DeVito will still undoubtedly get plenty of playing time this year, but if Coples can be what the Jets think he can be, having him starting along with Wilkerson and Pouha, with DeVito, Dixon and Ellis coming off of the bench, that has the ability to be one hell of an impressive unit, and one that won't be crippled by a single injury. When you add in the number of tweeners they have to play DE in the 4-man fronts (Maybin, Pace, Thomas, etc), you can see the shift in emphasis on D they've made over these past two seasons and as much as I like DeVito as a player, when trying to build up a unit the way the Jets have, it sometimes involves sending those pretty good players to the bench, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if they're willing to take on that backup role and strengthen your depth, and the replacement is an upgrade.

If the Jets blink, DeVito will be a Patriot so fast our heads will spin

Mike DeVito is a scrappy, lunchpail guy who plays with a ton of heart.

True, we all love what DeVito gives us, heart, toughness and a great run stuffer. Lunch pail is correct, he like a much less talented Klecko. The problem is, Coples makes him a backup and rightfully so. Quinton is a great pass rusher and a good run stuffer and the complete package our defense has lacked on the defensive line.

Archived