The Facebook IPO

JerryK

If I was Facebook I'd charge companies for thier pages...

Plus the make money on the games

They are basically trying to do that now. But they would have been better off just charging up front. Instead they lured companies in for free and told them about ad campaigns to get likes. They built that up and now they want companies to pay money for the promote this post.

I would imagine companies like the Jets are pissed. They paid a TON to get to 1.4 million likes. Now they have to pay to reach their own likes. Interesting.

They are basically trying to do that now. But they would have been better off just charging up front. Instead they lured companies in for free and told them about ad campaigns to get likes. They built that up and now they want companies to pay money for the promote this post.

I would imagine companies like the Jets are pissed. They paid a TON to get to 1.4 million likes. Now they have to pay to reach their own likes. Interesting.

I don't think it matters, unfortunately.... Facebook is so heavily trafficked it would take a brave executive to say no and have 0 presence on there..They kinda have you by the short hairs.

I have this conversation all the time with the Owner/Chairmen of our company, he wants us to focus more on FB and I tell him that while it has soft benefits there's no real direct ROI, and certainly nothing that returns quickly. At times I feel like he's going to fire me just to hire someone who will gleefully do as he instructs.. i have to tread lightly

I don't think it matters, unfortunately.... Facebook is so heavily trafficked it would take a brave executive to say no and have 0 presence on there..They kinda have you by the short hairs.

I have this conversation all the time with the Owner/Chairmen of our company, he wants us to focus more on FB and I tell him that while it has soft benefits there's no real direct ROI, and certainly nothing that returns quickly. At times I feel like he's going to fire me just to hire someone who will gleefully do as he instructs.. i have to tread lightly

Oh it definitely doesn't matter and they know it. Which is why I agree with RJF's points earlier in the thread. Those who are on top know aren't guaranteed to always be there.

The ROI with FB depends on what you can do with those likes. Can you drive them to your site? FB is a top 5 referrer for JN, basically a lot of our content and threads gets put in front of that page for additional exposure.

I agree with you though, it doesn't make sense for every business. I don't have a FB page for the company I work for either.

How does an Internet website do that? Generate revenue? Other than the ads no one clicks?

It depends on when you use that website. For Google ads work better because if you are searching for a product or service its more likely that you are looking to buy that service and more likely to click on ads that offers the same. So Google can tailor the ads that are displayed based on what you are searching and have a better hit rate.

On Facebook that's where it becomes tricky. If you just changed your status to engaged does not mean you are rushing to buy a wedding dress or a tux. So if those ads are displayed it might not be as well received. And when advertisers find out that ads do not work or have limited success on Facebook they either run away or have to enticed with lot lower rates. That's something FB has to figure out before the stock can justify its valuations.

Archived