Revis "doesn't know" if he'll report to training camp

RyanBe_Tweetin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he's a dumb **** and doesn't realize he's getting millions to play a sport and should be a man and live up to his contract.

Contracts don't mean a thing to these degenerate a$$holes....and trust me the only thing they care about less than honoring a contract is caring about their fans.

Contracts don't mean a thing to these degenerate a$$holes....and trust me the only thing they care about less than honoring a contract is caring about their fans.

Describes the owners a lot better than the players.

In many situations yes, but Revis hasn't exactly been mistreated. The organization has bent over backwards trying to stroke his ego. If he holds out again it's a slap in the face to Woody. Billionaires probably don't like getting embarrassed.

You are delusional. When owners cut players loose it is within the parameters of the agreed-to and legally binding contract. Holding out while still under contract is a breach of the agreement. Totally different deal.

If you're Revis, do you play for anything less than being the highest paid CB?

Probably not. I hate that he does it, but can you blame him?

If thats the case than Revis should be willing to play on a a yearly basis of guaranteed salaries than demanding up front money to stay on the team. You cant be the highest paid corner by a wide margin for 2 years and then complain when your yearly take home is no longer blowing the rest of the market away. His contract has more guarantees than anyone else at the position and his APY is 2nd in the league assuming Asomugha plays in at least 90% of the defensive snaps for Philadelphia this season.

Really? Is Woody saying I don't know if I'm going to pay Revis this week or not. The owners hire the players to work for them and compensate them by providing them with top healthcare, training and first class transportation and hotels for games on top of huge salaries. The players are the ones that don't honor their contracts.

Really? Is Woody saying I don't know if I'm going to pay Revis this week or not. The owners hire the players to work for them and compensate them by providing them with top healthcare, training and first class transportation and hotels for games on top of huge salaries. The players are the ones that don't honor their contracts.

No, but he's telling Mike DeVito that the Jets found someone they like better at his position, so they'll be cutting his contractually agreed to pay and he can take it or leave it.

The whole system is completely rigged in the owners' favor. The only option the players have is to hold out. Mike DeVito doesn't have the clout to tell the Jets to fvck off, so he has to eat that deal. That's the case with most players. We saw it play out on television with Kellen Clemens. But Revis does have that clout. He knows with absolute certainty that if the Jets don't pay him what he wants, another team will.

I hope he plays for his current contract this year, but I won't fault him if he uses his leverage to get a better deal. God knows if the Jets found a better CB in the draft, or if Revis' skills deteriorated, that the Jets would not hesitate to cut his pay or cut him outright.

No, but he's telling Mike DeVito that the Jets found someone they like better at his position, so they'll be cutting his contractually agreed to pay and he can take it or leave it.

The whole system is completely rigged in the owners' favor. The only option the players have is to hold out. Mike DeVito doesn't have the clout to tell the Jets to fvck off, so he has to eat that deal. That's the case with most players. We saw it play out on television with Kellen Clemens. But Revis does have that clout. He knows with absolute certainty that if the Jets don't pay him what he wants, another team will.

I hope he plays for his current contract this year, but I won't fault him if he uses his leverage to get a better deal. God knows if the Jets found a better CB in the draft, or if Revis' skills deteriorated, that the Jets would not hesitate to cut his pay or cut him outright.

It is a business, and like all businesses, things are "rigged" in the owners, or employers, favor. A CEO of a company has the right to fire his employees if they feel they are costing more than producing the same way the owner of an NFL team has the right to fire coaches and players if he feels he is overpaying them for subpar production. Mike DeVito will be playing a lesser role this season than last, and the owner felt he did not want to pay starter money for him. He was given the option to take a pay cut to stay here, or he could test the open waters if he thought he could get starter status and money playing elsewhere.

Same with Kellen Clemens on HK... It is easy to find a 3rd string QB, and makes no sense for an owner to overpay for one. If he wants to stay here and still have a very well paying job, he can take a pay cut to do so. Otherwise, he can test the open market, without any guarantee whatsoever that he will find another suitor. There is a reason these guys agreed to the pay cuts, you know.

Personally, if Revis holds out, I don't think Johnson will cave this time around. He has two guys that can be legit corners in Wilson and Cro, and what should be an improved safety squad and a much improved pass rush. With Rex leading the way, we can still be a very successful D without Revis....And he would be under contract for the next 4 years now if he were to hold out.

The expecations surrounding this team are nowhere near where they were 2 years ago....the overrall reaction from the fanbase is going to be "meh"

Dont see Revis having nearly as much pull this time around...also, its not going to be broadcasted. We had people hitting refresh every 2 seconds for the last hold out...this time, oh well if he plays, he plays.

But when you sign your deals the negotiation process is supposed to give the player protection if the agent does his job. In Revis' case he is essentially uncuttable because of the cap charges associated with the cut. Really the Jets are almost stuck with extending him next season regardless of how much his skills would have diminished.

The fact of the matter is that 80% of the time veteran NFL deals are meant to be 3 year contracts. They are only longer for two purposes- salary cap and ego. If you notice contracts in the past for big name players were almost always 6 years and sometimes 7. Now because of the change in proration rules they are either 5 or 6. The goal of the agent is to do the best job possible to put the team in a position to where they have to carry the player in year 4. Some do it (Revis' clearly did) and others dont do a good job with that (Chris Johnson in Tennessee could have been cut for instance despite the high number claims in his deal).

The only player the owners have "full control" over is a rookie. In the past it was only those selected beyond pick 20 or so, but now its the whole draft. They have complete control of the early career and they have no recourse. Veterans have free agency and when they hit it they have to strike deals that make the increases the likelihood of the player earning the most money. Often they dont because the people representing them are more looking to make headlines than actually getting them more cash. Agents dont have a lifespan like a player. They can accept a short term loss on a player because every 60 million dollar contract that has no chance of being earned gets them 2 or 3 more stud potential players to sign with them.

The fact is Revis signed a deal 2 years ago to play for a certain amount of money. He wasnt underpaid nor is he underpaid now. If Revis wanted to always remain the highest paid year over year his recourse was simple--- take a contract where you make $11.5 million every season. No signing bonus. No option bonus. No money upfront. If it wasnt for Rex Ryan the Jets would have played hardball with him the last time. I have a feeling this time they will actually do it and keep their fingers crossed that the development of Wilkerson and the drafting of Coples make him less of a priority.

Public Sevice Announcement

Really don't feel like arguing this now during the pre/possible holdout panties wadded stage. I'd rather wait 'til Revis pulls the trigger so I can really twist 'em up.

Thanks. :)

Public Sevice Announcement

Really don't feel like arguing this now during the pre/possible holdout panties wadded stage. I'd rather wait 'til Revis pulls the trigger so I can really twist 'em up.

Thanks. :)

Translation: I lost this time around, I'll wait til everyone is overemotional if Revis does hold out so I can sound like the more logical one. :winking0001:

As far as the bolded goes, welcome to the business world. That's what happens when you're the one fronting the excessive amount of money needed to run the business. Does it suck sometimes? Sure, but it's the world we live in, and there's not much to do about it, because owners aren't about to front their money in a business that favors their employees, that they are paying, over them.

Regarding Revis, I'm sorry, but it's time to accept that this argument has completely lost any and all merit when it comes to him. I can see your point with other guys in different positions, but that doesn't magically make Revis' completely incomparable situation at all the same. As far as contracts go, he is literally the single least trustworthy person in the league; player, owner or otherwise.

The fact is Revis signed a deal 2 years ago to play for a certain amount of money. He wasnt underpaid nor is he underpaid now. If Revis wanted to always remain the highest paid year over year his recourse was simple--- take a contract where you make $11.5 million every season. No signing bonus. No option bonus. No money upfront.

This right here is what it all really comes down to. Unless we're to believe Revis is too f'n stupid to understand the way NFL contracts work and that the bonus money he receives is designed to cover a large chunk of the payment of the course of the entire length of his deal, he either needs to accept that a single years salary cannot be looked at in a vacuum and means absolutely nothing, or he needs to accept that yearly salary will be the ONLY money in his contracts from here on out.

If Revis holds out again, and the Jets do decide they will renegotiate with him, the first thing I would tell his agent when contract talks open is that I would not guarantee one single cent of his new contract since Revis cannot be trusted to do what he's being paid for and see what they have to say.

When asked today if he would definitely report to day one of training camp, Revis replied "I don't know" theres a link to it somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it and you can check Manish Mehta's twitter.

Revis is very valuable, give him more millions, and simply jack up the price of beer to $12.50 to pay for it...see what a plan....or you can say to him GFYS!

In many situations yes, but Revis hasn't exactly been mistreated. The organization has bent over backwards trying to stroke his ego. If he holds out again it's a slap in the face to Woody. Billionaires probably don't like getting embarrassed.

Everything you said is true, however, organizations have done the same to players. Revis does it and the sky falls.

If thats what he wants to do then let the Jets sit him, trade him or resign him to a new contract.

When rookies like Coples come in and are "guaranteed a starting position" and guys like Devito are sat in a room and have their agreement restructured no one says anything.

Its called business. Revis is a rare talent and it seems like he's a very profitable businessman. I doubt this has to do with Ego. He's getting his money now before he's just a "good" corner. As a fan I dont like it, but I can separate my fandom and certainly understand it.

i say they don't negotiate with him one ******* bit. if he holds out let him sit the **** out. if i'm the jets i refuse to negotiate with him if he holds out. then i figure out how to afford to trade his a$$. the guy in the video is right, having the best corners in the league doesn't translate to wins as much as a good offense and a good pass rush. pass rush has the biggest effect on the opposing offense. not one lockdown corner. the wat to stop brady is to get to him, not just lockdown one of his receivers. at this point, if he decides to hold out, he is worth more to the team in trade value.

Archived