Schotty and over-thinking/being cute vs The Hammer

SouthernJet

I've always been perplexed by a Schotty called game (especially last year). Many times when a 'set of plays' are working, he'd leave that set ASAP. I asked Rich Cimini on a ESPN chat last week same thing. Here is Q and A.

SouthernJetNC (Raleigh NC)

Hi Rich. Is it JUST me or did Schotty seem to get in a mode where when 'something was working' he over thought it and felt 'hey the D knows we will run this cause its workin, so I'll fool em and not run it'. I am of school where keep it up till they stop it. Will Sparano be more of a 'stop it if you can' coach?

Rich Cimini

Good observation. Schotty got too cute at times -- and that's not just me talking. Players have told me that. Sparano won't stop swinging the hammer if a certain play is working.

Schotty was cute in the same way Bruce Coslet was cute back in they day. Put a full back in motion, then split him out wide. No more of that stuff. The full back better only go in motion if they want to switch from the left to the right. Otherwise pound the ball and get Mark to raise his completion percentage.

Schotty was cute in the same way Bruce Coslet was cute back in they day. Put a full back in motion, then split him out wide. No more of that stuff. The full back better only go in motion if they want to switch from the left to the right. Otherwise pound the ball and get Mark to raise his completion percentage.

agree. time to see if simple works better

Well yeah, we've got a hammer to do it with. I like hammers! Tools are MANLY like me, not cute like do nothing kittens!

Wtf did I even mean there? I really wanted something to do with how tools like hammers are a MANS man thing while Schotty and all that THUNKING ain't no good for my FOOTBALLS! Iunno....I don't even think Chip could help me out.

Derp.

agree. time to see if simple works better

I don't believe it is a difference of simple versus complicated.

It is more about find a weakness, exploit the weakness, keep exploiting it until they stop you, if they stop you, chances are they created another soft-spot to attack by adjusting to what you are doing, attack new soft-spot versus let's try this, let's try that, that seemed to work, but let's go back to the first thing because they won't expect it, oh still doesn't work, try it again, they'll be expecting us to try to run the plays that seem to be working, let's surprise them, oh we have to punt.

Shotty was cute in the way my 8th grade girlfriend was: lots of fun to watch, but you can never score.

Shotty was cute in the way my 8th grade girlfriend was: lots of fun to watch, but you can never score.

Dude what was she doing exactly? Sounds like you may have had a little web cam action going on there. But when you got your parents to drive you to her house she never delivered.

Is that accurate.

Off topic I know but I think this is important. So please elaborate.

The biggest mistake in almost all sports is to go away from what is working. If it works, keep doing it until your opponent proves they can stop it. No over-thinking necessary.

exactly . i remember a game where the raiders ran the ball like 15 times in a row against us. it may have even been more than that. it was demoralizing . everyone knew they were just gonna run it and yet we couldn't ****in stop it. they just stuffed that damn ball down our throats. embarrassing. but it worked.

exactly . i remember a game where the raiders ran the ball like 15 times in a row against us. it may have even been more than that. it was demoralizing . everyone knew they were just gonna run it and yet we couldn't ****in stop it. they just stuffed that damn ball down our throats. embarrassing. but it worked.

This! IMO that is the second best attribute of the ground and pound philosophy. (first best being the rest it gives the D while keeping the opponents O off the field) When someone knows you're going to run it yet you can't stop it, it breaks the heart of the D. Gets them yelling at eachother etc. It sucks when it happened to us and very embarrasing.

I like the idea of letting everyone know what we're going to punch them in the face. I just hope we have the guns to back it up. Green and Mcnight aren't gettin me chubbed.

while some of Schott's play calling was infuriating at times he didn't cause mulligan to jump offsides, Hunter to suck in pass protection, or Sanchez to miss wide open throws.

Schott has become the scapegoat for all the offensive woes but truthfully last season was on the players. The offense pretty much sucked top to bottom and Schott took all the blame.

Schott has become the scapegoat for all the offensive woes but truthfully last season was on the players. The offense pretty much sucked top to bottom and Schott took all the blame.

Not true. If Schotty took all the blame, why did Tannenbaum say "[sanchez] is not where we want him to be", then bring in Tebow as the # 2?

while some of Schott's play calling was infuriating at times he didn't cause mulligan to jump offsides, Hunter to suck in pass protection, or Sanchez to miss wide open throws.

But he is the one who kept putting Mulligan out on the field, refused to give Hunter help in pass pro, and had Sanchez throwing the ball excessively more than ever before. He's not solely to blame and I don't know anyone who is saying otherwise, but there's absolutely no question that he made an already bad situation so much worse by his complete incompetence.

My favorites were the slow developing running plays with a ballet of lineman moving in every which direction only to have a defender shoot a gap and drill the ball carrier while he was waiting for this beautiful array of blocks to develop. Pound the damn ball down their throats!

Dude what was she doing exactly? Sounds like you may have had a little web cam action going on there. But when you got your parents to drive you to her house she never delivered. Is that accurate. Off topic I know but I think this is important. So please elaborate.

Agree. This issue needs photos.

I've always been perplexed by a Schotty called game (especially last year). Many times when a 'set of plays' are working, he'd leave that set ASAP. I asked Rich Cimini on a ESPN chat last week same thing. Here is Q and A.

SouthernJetNC (Raleigh NC)

Hi Rich. Is it JUST me or did Schotty seem to get in a mode where when 'something was working' he over thought it and felt 'hey the D knows we will run this cause its workin, so I'll fool em and not run it'. I am of school where keep it up till they stop it. Will Sparano be more of a 'stop it if you can' coach?

Rich Cimini

Good observation. Schotty got too cute at times -- and that's not just me talking. Players have told me that. Sparano won't stop swinging the hammer if a certain play is working.

The biggest concern I have about the "Hammer" is when the "Hammer" isn't the right tool for the job that day do the Jets have the proper tool to use to replace the "Hammer", also will Sparano know when to get away from the "Hammer" on those days, or will he tire himself out swinging the "Hammer", and wondering why the nail just won't go in, but oh F it lets give it another try?

To me this seamed like the biggest problem the Dolphins offense had during the Sparano era, if a team had their number the game was over the Dolphins had no awnser to good defenses who could stop their scheme, but I didn't watch the Dolphins enough to know if it was stubborness from the coaching staff, or just not enough talent, or the probable correct awnser both.

Archived