MLB Draft: June 4-6

Jetsfan80

Total meh pick by the Mets. At #12, I think you have to get a kid with more upside than being an above average defender up the middle with gap power and average speed. His floor is high, but the Mets lack anything resembling a future All-Star hitter in their system, as Nimmo and Puelo are still too young and raw.

I understand that their top-2 hitting prospects are OF's, but if they were OK with taken a HS position player, I would've prefer to have seen them go with Courtney Hawkins.

Total meh pick by the Mets. At #12, I think you have to get a kid with more upside than being an above average defender up the middle with gap power and average speed. His floor is high, but the Mets lack anything resembling a future All-Star hitter in their system, as Nimmo and Puelo are still too young and raw. I understand that their top-2 hitting prospects are OF's, but if they were OK with taken a HS position player, I would've prefer to have seen them go with Courtney Hawkins.

I would hope that someone out of the Wheeler, Harvey, Familia, group will have some All Star games in their future. I am guessing you meant position players(?)

The Mets have changed course under the new regime, and are more confident in their own ability to develop talent. Before, they seemed to go the college route.

EDIT-My bad-I did not see "hitter" in your original post-sorry

Let's hope that they can back up that confidence.

I would hope that someone out of the Wheeler, Harvey, Familia, group will have some All Star games in their future. I am guessing you meant position players(?) The Mets have changed course under the new regime, and are more confident in their own ability to develop talent. Before, they seemed to go the college route. EDIT-My bad-I did not see "hitter" in your original post-sorry Let's hope that they can back up that confidence.

In back-to-back years, they drafted an OF who comes from a state in which they don't even play HS baseball and now a kid whose floor is a utility man and whose ceiling is a solid guy up-the-middle.

Considering that part of the whole Moneyball mantra is the high variance/bust rate when dealing with HS players and the fact that their best position player in the minors, while still young, is now in his 3rd season of A+, I was hoping for a guy with a ceiling of a perennial All-Star, even if it meant his floor was UPS driver.

In back-to-back years, they drafted an OF who comes from a state in which they don't even play HS baseball and now a kid whose floor is a utility man and whose ceiling is a solid guy up-the-middle.

Considering that part of the whole Moneyball mantra is the high variance/bust rate when dealing with HS players and the fact that their best position player in the minors, while still young, is now in his 3rd season of A+, I was hoping for a guy with a ceiling of a perennial All-Star, even if it meant his floor was UPS driver.

Hey, with what I have seen of this regime so far, I will give them a bit of a leash here.

We are witnessing a transformation on a mlb level of hitters being more patient and excelling in clutch situations-A complete reversal where they were previously. I am normally not a big proponent of hitting coaches, but Dave Hudgens has done a great job.

The team is playing situational baseball.

The players that the Mets promote, contribute. Credit the Minaya regime for planting those seeds, but this regime has cultivated them.

The Zach Wheeler trade last year was well done.

I think that Alderson and company deserve the opportunity in years to see how the draft picks turn out.

Hey, with what I have seen of this regime so far, I will give them a bit of a leash here.

We are witnessing a transformation on a mlb level of hitters being more patient and excelling in clutch situations-A complete reversal where they were previously. I am normally not a big proponent of hitting coaches, but Dave Hudgens has done a great job.

The team is playing situational baseball.

The players that the Mets promote, contribute. Credit the Minaya regime for planting those seeds, but this regime has cultivated them.

The Zach Wheeler trade last year was well done.

I think that Alderson and company deserve the opportunity in years to see how the draft picks turn out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not closing the book on anything... I just don't like the idea of drafting a kid out of HS unless he has a high ceiling, since you're not getting as good a look at him as you would a college player. It seems to me that a guy whose ceiling isn't even as high as, say, Ian Desmond shouldn't be taken #12 overall.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not closing the book on anything... I just don't like the idea of drafting a kid out of HS unless he has a high ceiling, since you're not getting as good a look at him as you would a college player. It seems to me that a guy whose ceiling isn't even as high as, say, Ian Desmond shouldn't be taken #12 overall.

It is difficult to say what the ceiling of an 18 year old kid is. He comes from a baseball family, and seems to have the instincts of the game. I like that as a way to start with a middle infielder.

To me, drafting the college kid is the easy way to draft, and you know more of what you are getting, as you say.

I do admire the moxie of the Mets of wanting develop players in their mold (and more teams are doing this) and developing an organizational system of "Met type players".

I have been jealous of the Cardinal system who produce player after player who already fit their big league club.

The Mets have never had that. We all hope they are sucessfull

Cubs got the next Carlos Beltran in Albert Almore. Hopefully the ring will be less elusive for him than it has been for Beltran.

They also got other stuff.

Yankees took a really talented HS RH, Tyler Hensley. Typical big fastball/curveball HS pitcher.

Archived