Holmes throws helmet in disgust at todays OTA's.."too many reps coach"

Matt39

Whats interesting about Sanchez putting up career numbers across the board, is that the offense IMO looked worse than it ever had. I never recall as many 3 and outs or turnovers during the Sanchez era as I did last season and the running game sucked

Either way, the difference in numbers between Holmes, Edwards and Cotch is minimal (except for yards that one season with Edwards), so I just see it as thats what you're going to get from the WR position with Sanchez at the helm until/if he takes the next step....I kind of the same way Holmes production increased when Big Ben finally put it all together.

I get your point and see your logic but this offense was so bad...its hard to make it that simple, IMO. The other thing to consider and this is just off the top of my head from another similar conversation but I think the ball was spread around more last season than ever before.

Yes, Hpomes has been victimized every season of his career, ever, which explains why he's never been a #1 receiver, and never even sniffed a godforsaken Pro Bowl. But, you wait, he's going to peel back his face and reveal to the world that he's been an undercover Jerry Rice this whole time.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SRSLY. It's not like he was forcibly ejected from another organization or something.

Who? Braylon Edwards?

I would actually agree with this, although the running game sucking also played into Sanchez's numbers, as the Jets ended up passing the ball more than ever before because of that. Yeah, can't really argue with that one too much. Hopefully everyone plays significantly better this year and then we don't have to worry about this sh*t. Plus as an extra bonus, then it will be even funnier hearing Gato still trying to excuse how Schotty doesn't suck at his job when the Jets turn it around at the same time the once-beloved Bradford becomes a complete turnover machine under his watch.

I'm hoping the back to the basics movement helps. Its going to be interesting to see if it pays off...but I'm excited to not have to watch 5 people in motion but not actually doing anything.

Yes, Hpomes has been victimized every season of his career, ever, which explains why he's never been a #1 receiver, and never even sniffed a godforsaken Pro Bowl. But, you wait, he's going to peel back his face and reveal to the world that he's been an undercover Jerry Rice this whole time.

You are totally making sh*t up. I never said any of these things.

///mock outrage!!!!

I'm hoping the back to the basics movement helps. Its going to be interesting to see if it pays off...but I'm excited to not have to watch 5 people in motion but not actually doing anything.

LOL, me and you both. Especially when that is happening after Sanchez is yelling at the sidelines for the play call and then having to burn a timeout in the first quarter because everyone is still motioning around as the play clock hits 0.

This article was in the minicamp recap thread. Really points out what a destructive force Santonio is to the team.

Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes

Florham Park, N.J.- Ask you’re average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you’re likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he’s selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you’ll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we’re talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are.

No one condones Holmes’ actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that’s not who he is. If that bothers you, he really doesn’t care and neither do his teammates. The Santonio Holmes that the media meets with once a week and the fans get to read about is not the same guy his teammates see, or the people involved in any of his charities get to see.

If you ever get a chance to come out to an open practice you’ll also see a guy in a number 10 jersey whose behavior you don’t recognize. As the receivers run their drills, Holmes goes first then turns around and makes his way back to help coach the younger receivers through the drill. He’s an extra coach out there on the field and according to some of his teammates he’s just as big a coach to them off the field.

“Yeah he is an (extra) coach. He’s a seven, eight year vet and that’s a guy that we look to for a lot of direction amongst us young guys and he’s our leader out there.” Kerley said, “He’s a great dude, he’s a great guy to look up to and we lean on him for a lot of things.”

Last week wasn’t the first time he’s shown this leadership in practice, last year he would do the same thing. He’d take each of the young receivers off to the side, one-on-one and give them pointers. He’d give them tips on when to come out of a certain break or how to use their body as a shield between the defender or answer any other questions they had for him. Yesterday Holmes spent the day sprinting and doing conditioning drills, today he got involved in some team drills and as he can participate more in the immediate future he can continue to teach and lead the young receivers that look up to him.

Holmes was wrong for how he handled himself last season, but that season is over and done with. It’s time to move on. Last week there was no helmet-smashing or temper-tantrum’s being thrown, just a little frustration with himself for not being able to finish practice, a granting of his request to sit out by his coaches and a whole lot of coaching up his teammates that somehow went unnoticed by most.

“It’s easy to go unnoticed because people aren’t here everyday, seeing what goes on and ‘Tone has been in the biggest moments of the sport, Super Bowl, being a Super Bowl MVP and done a lot of great things.” Patrick Turner said, “You know, to have that on your side and someone who’s willing to open up and be a great teammate, it shouldn’t go unnoticed and I feel everybody really looks up to him. He’s always there whether you have a question or if you just want to ask him a question about anything, on the field or off the field and it’s good to have. He’s a good guy.”

After the way last season unfolded it was real easy to forget about the leadership Holmes showed last training camp and how much his teammates enjoyed his presence, but after seeing it again last week it was impossible to forget.

This article was in the minicamp recap thread. Really points out what a destructive force Santonio is to the team.

Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes

Florham Park, N.J.- Ask you’re average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you’re likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he’s selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you’ll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we’re talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are.

No one condones Holmes’ actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that’s not who he is. If that bothers you, he really doesn’t care and neither do his teammates. The Santonio Holmes that the media meets with once a week and the fans get to read about is not the same guy his teammates see, or the people involved in any of his charities get to see.

If you ever get a chance to come out to an open practice you’ll also see a guy in a number 10 jersey whose behavior you don’t recognize. As the receivers run their drills, Holmes goes first then turns around and makes his way back to help coach the younger receivers through the drill. He’s an extra coach out there on the field and according to some of his teammates he’s just as big a coach to them off the field.

“Yeah he is an (extra) coach. He’s a seven, eight year vet and that’s a guy that we look to for a lot of direction amongst us young guys and he’s our leader out there.” Kerley said, “He’s a great dude, he’s a great guy to look up to and we lean on him for a lot of things.”

Last week wasn’t the first time he’s shown this leadership in practice, last year he would do the same thing. He’d take each of the young receivers off to the side, one-on-one and give them pointers. He’d give them tips on when to come out of a certain break or how to use their body as a shield between the defender or answer any other questions they had for him. Yesterday Holmes spent the day sprinting and doing conditioning drills, today he got involved in some team drills and as he can participate more in the immediate future he can continue to teach and lead the young receivers that look up to him.

Holmes was wrong for how he handled himself last season, but that season is over and done with. It’s time to move on. Last week there was no helmet-smashing or temper-tantrum’s being thrown, just a little frustration with himself for not being able to finish practice, a granting of his request to sit out by his coaches and a whole lot of coaching up his teammates that somehow went unnoticed by most.

“It’s easy to go unnoticed because people aren’t here everyday, seeing what goes on and ‘Tone has been in the biggest moments of the sport, Super Bowl, being a Super Bowl MVP and done a lot of great things.” Patrick Turner said, “You know, to have that on your side and someone who’s willing to open up and be a great teammate, it shouldn’t go unnoticed and I feel everybody really looks up to him. He’s always there whether you have a question or if you just want to ask him a question about anything, on the field or off the field and it’s good to have. He’s a good guy.”

After the way last season unfolded it was real easy to forget about the leadership Holmes showed last training camp and how much his teammates enjoyed his presence, but after seeing it again last week it was impossible to forget.

For what it's worth it's an article from JI

This article was in the minicamp recap thread. Really points out what a destructive force Santonio is to the team. Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes Florham Park, N.J.- Ask you’re average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you’re likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he’s selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you’ll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we’re talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are. No one condones Holmes’ actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that’s not who he is. If that bothers you, he really doesn’t care and neither do his teammates. The Santonio Holmes that the media meets with once a week and the fans get to read about is not the same guy his teammates see, or the people involved in any of his charities get to see. If you ever get a chance to come out to an open practice you’ll also see a guy in a number 10 jersey whose behavior you don’t recognize. As the receivers run their drills, Holmes goes first then turns around and makes his way back to help coach the younger receivers through the drill. He’s an extra coach out there on the field and according to some of his teammates he’s just as big a coach to them off the field. “Yeah he is an (extra) coach. He’s a seven, eight year vet and that’s a guy that we look to for a lot of direction amongst us young guys and he’s our leader out there.” Kerley said, “He’s a great dude, he’s a great guy to look up to and we lean on him for a lot of things.” Last week wasn’t the first time he’s shown this leadership in practice, last year he would do the same thing. He’d take each of the young receivers off to the side, one-on-one and give them pointers. He’d give them tips on when to come out of a certain break or how to use their body as a shield between the defender or answer any other questions they had for him. Yesterday Holmes spent the day sprinting and doing conditioning drills, today he got involved in some team drills and as he can participate more in the immediate future he can continue to teach and lead the young receivers that look up to him. Holmes was wrong for how he handled himself last season, but that season is over and done with. It’s time to move on. Last week there was no helmet-smashing or temper-tantrum’s being thrown, just a little frustration with himself for not being able to finish practice, a granting of his request to sit out by his coaches and a whole lot of coaching up his teammates that somehow went unnoticed by most. “It’s easy to go unnoticed because people aren’t here everyday, seeing what goes on and ‘Tone has been in the biggest moments of the sport, Super Bowl, being a Super Bowl MVP and done a lot of great things.” Patrick Turner said, “You know, to have that on your side and someone who’s willing to open up and be a great teammate, it shouldn’t go unnoticed and I feel everybody really looks up to him. He’s always there whether you have a question or if you just want to ask him a question about anything, on the field or off the field and it’s good to have. He’s a good guy.” After the way last season unfolded it was real easy to forget about the leadership Holmes showed last training camp and how much his teammates enjoyed his presence, but after seeing it again last week it was impossible to forget.

Cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also called "good teammates": Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Eddie Murray, Corey Dillon, Derrick Coleman, Eddy Curry, Vernon Gholston.

Being popular and being a sh*thead are not mutually exclusive enterprises.

Also called "good teammates": Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Eddie Murray, Corey Dillon, Derrick Coleman, Eddy Curry, Vernon Gholston.

Being popular and being a sh*thead are not mutually exclusive enterprises.

Shut up and read the article. He's a leader. They look up to him. He's a good guy.

Stop letting the media feed your agendas.

The "media" made him worth a measly fifth round pick coming off a Super Bowl MVP?

This has nothing to do with how much the young Jets WR look up to Holmes. They love him because he's a leader and a really good guy.

And I think his value had more to do with the genius of a one Michael Tannenbaum. That and weed is worse than rape.

This has nothing to do with how much the young Jets WR look up to Holmes. They love him because he's a leader and a really good guy.

And I think his value had more to do with the genius of a one Michael Tannenbaum. That and weed is worse than rape.

I'm attributing this post to your ongoing battle with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Because we all know how rookie players come into the league to bash teammates. Its a huge problem these days in the NFL. So it was a breath of fresh air when we heard Jets rookies sucking Santonios dick almost as good as JIF does

Because we all know how rookie players come into the league to bash teammates. Its a huge problem these days in the NFL. So it was a breath of fresh air when we heard Jets rookies sucking Santonios dick almost as good as JIF does

Are you calling these young men liars?

Thats just rude.

I know I was done with this conversation but I keep seeing this...other than screaming at Mark in the huddle after he just threw the season away chilling out in the shade in Miami - what else has he done that is problematic?

That's all he had to do Jif to make me dislike the guy....to me that's a loser mentality.

boards a bit slow this morning so I thought I'd throw this out there. :winking0001:

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal in 'complete shock' over attention given to Santonio Holmes' decision to take himself out of OTAs

BY Manish Mehta

A few weeks after new wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal witnessed it in person, he still marveled at the memory of a play that revealed the precision and promise of his best wideout.

Santonio Holmes vs. Darrelle Revis.

Inside the Jets’ wide receivers’ room covered with pass formations on white grease boards, Lal explained the play from OTAs that “we’ve used as a model” this offseason.

Mark Sanchez called a 18-yard deep out pass pattern.

“It was press coverage,” Lal told me. “Tone fought the press off. He burst to his exact route depth that he was supposed to get to. He was supposed to get to 15 yards and he was pinpoint accurate on that. He snapped off, made a great catch and turned upfield. If you rewind the film, Mark threw the ball when Tone was at 13 yards. Tone runs a full two more yards with Revis all over him and then breaks when the ball was in the air.”

“You break at 15 and end at 18,” Lal explained. “He was on the money exactly. (With) contested environment --- press coverage – most receivers would have cut that off at 13 yards. I would say 99 percent of them. For Tone to go those extra two yards, fight off and make a great catch -- and for Mark to trust him and throw it when he was at 13 yards -- is huge…. Tone doing that solidified every opinion I had of him, positively. And that’s the standard he’ll be held to.”

Holmes’ goodwill trip to Germany for the U.S. troops caused him to miss nearly half of the team’s nine voluntary OTA practices.

When he returned for the final OTA session on June 7, he made headlines by pulling himself out due to “too many reps,” he said at the time, tossing his helmet and expressing his frustration to Lal. At the time, Holmes and Rex Ryan said that the receiver wasn’t injured. Before last week’s mandatory minicamp, however, Ryan revealed that Holmes had suffered a hamstring injury during that final OTA practice.

“Honestly, it was complete shock to me that this was being reported,” Lal told me of Holmes’ decision to remove himself from the June 7 practice. “Every day in every practice, I make it a point to tell the receivers -- because they run so much -- you have to keep them healthy. There’s an open book in our room: If you feel any muscle issue, we’re going to err on the side of caution, especially in June. There’s no point getting hurt in June. So, a receiver coming to the coach and saying, ‘Hey, my hammy’s tight.

Hold me down to short routes. Can you space out my routes more today?’ That’s done every day…. So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me.”

Holmes participated in individual and passing drills during the three-day minicamp, but didn’t take part in any 11-on-11 team sessions. He didn’t speak to the media last week, a violation of the league’s access policy. (NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News in an email that the league has reached out the Jets regarding the matter and that “we do not expect any further issues.”).

Holmes has been criticized by his teammates for skipping a meeting organized by Sanchez in the run-up to the Jets’ final regular-season game in Miami and getting benched in the waning minutes after jawing with players in the huddle on multiple occasions.

Holmes has maintained that he has no personal regrets for that behavior.

Lal, who joined the staff after five seasons with the Raiders, admitted that it’ll take time to develop a relationship with the team’s No. 1 wideout.

“We’ve only been together six weeks,” Lal said. “You don’t really get to know your players and develop the full trust until you go through some battles together. He’s probably wondering, ‘How’s this guy going to react when we lose a game? Is he the same guy? What if there’s some adversity that happens during a game? How is it going to be handled?’ And same with me for him. So, I think it takes some time. It takes some battle testing to see really what you have.”

Holmes grew increasingly frustrated with former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer last season. Lal admitted that Tony Sparano has made it clear that he will feature Holmes’ strengths in his offense this season.

Not accepting losing is a loser mentality?

I don't think it went down like that.....to be a captain you've got to be a big guy and a stand up guy, not a d-bag against your team-mates and undermining your QB during the game. I would have had much more respect for San-Blow-Me-Oh if he would have done it in the locker room. That's just my take on it but of course I could be wrong. And ask yourself this, if he didn't have the contract he has do you honestly think this guy is on this team today after what he did last year?.........NOT.

boards a bit slow this morning so I thought I'd throw this out there. :winking0001:

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal in 'complete shock' over attention given to Santonio Holmes' decision to take himself out of OTAs

BY Manish Mehta

A few weeks after new wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal witnessed it in person, he still marveled at the memory of a play that revealed the precision and promise of his best wideout.

Santonio Holmes vs. Darrelle Revis.

Inside the Jets’ wide receivers’ room covered with pass formations on white grease boards, Lal explained the play from OTAs that “we’ve used as a model” this offseason.

Mark Sanchez called a 18-yard deep out pass pattern.

“It was press coverage,” Lal told me. “Tone fought the press off. He burst to his exact route depth that he was supposed to get to. He was supposed to get to 15 yards and he was pinpoint accurate on that. He snapped off, made a great catch and turned upfield. If you rewind the film, Mark threw the ball when Tone was at 13 yards. Tone runs a full two more yards with Revis all over him and then breaks when the ball was in the air.”

“You break at 15 and end at 18,” Lal explained. “He was on the money exactly. (With) contested environment --- press coverage – most receivers would have cut that off at 13 yards. I would say 99 percent of them. For Tone to go those extra two yards, fight off and make a great catch -- and for Mark to trust him and throw it when he was at 13 yards -- is huge…. Tone doing that solidified every opinion I had of him, positively. And that’s the standard he’ll be held to.”

Holmes’ goodwill trip to Germany for the U.S. troops caused him to miss nearly half of the team’s nine voluntary OTA practices.

When he returned for the final OTA session on June 7, he made headlines by pulling himself out due to “too many reps,” he said at the time, tossing his helmet and expressing his frustration to Lal. At the time, Holmes and Rex Ryan said that the receiver wasn’t injured. Before last week’s mandatory minicamp, however, Ryan revealed that Holmes had suffered a hamstring injury during that final OTA practice.

“Honestly, it was complete shock to me that this was being reported,” Lal told me of Holmes’ decision to remove himself from the June 7 practice. “Every day in every practice, I make it a point to tell the receivers -- because they run so much -- you have to keep them healthy. There’s an open book in our room: If you feel any muscle issue, we’re going to err on the side of caution, especially in June. There’s no point getting hurt in June. So, a receiver coming to the coach and saying, ‘Hey, my hammy’s tight.

Hold me down to short routes. Can you space out my routes more today?’ That’s done every day…. So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me.”

Holmes participated in individual and pa$$ing drills during the three-day minicamp, but didn’t take part in any 11-on-11 team sessions. He didn’t speak to the media last week, a violation of the league’s access policy. (NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News in an email that the league has reached out the Jets regarding the matter and that “we do not expect any further issues.”).

Holmes has been criticized by his teammates for skipping a meeting organized by Sanchez in the run-up to the Jets’ final regular-season game in Miami and getting benched in the waning minutes after jawing with players in the huddle on multiple occasions.

Holmes has maintained that he has no personal regrets for that behavior.

Lal, who joined the staff after five seasons with the Raiders, admitted that it’ll take time to develop a relationship with the team’s No. 1 wideout.

“We’ve only been together six weeks,” Lal said. “You don’t really get to know your players and develop the full trust until you go through some battles together. He’s probably wondering, ‘How’s this guy going to react when we lose a game? Is he the same guy? What if there’s some adversity that happens during a game? How is it going to be handled?’ And same with me for him. So, I think it takes some time. It takes some battle testing to see really what you have.”

Holmes grew increasingly frustrated with former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer last season. Lal admitted that Tony Sparano has made it clear that he will feature Holmes’ strengths in his offense this season.

I like the last statement above.....again its all about Holmes.....by the way how many drops did he have last year?

Archived