Holmes throws helmet in disgust at todays OTA's.."too many reps coach"

Matt39

Here are some quotes from Rex on Holmes:

On how Holmes came off the field…

The thing about him is that he is a competitive guy. I guess you would have to ask him because I never saw it. I thought he was in great spirits. He told me I looked great so I felt good about that. (laughter)

On Holmes telling the coaches to take away some of his reps…

I know he was scheduled for ‘X’ amount of reps and I know he wanted to take some of those off. Any time a player tells you that, like Brandon Moore, I remember last year he finally just said, “I can’t go today.” Well Brandon, all you have to do is tell us. He knows. You lean on your guys. They know their bodies. Anytime a player has tightness or whatever, then we are not here to push you over, ‘Oh, you can do that.’ These are professional athletes. They know their bodies. Santonio knows his body better than anybody, obviously. So if he thinks he would be stretching it to give another five, 10 snaps, then you have to be smart about that and that’s really with any of those veteran players.

On Holmes sitting out…

I don’t know when he even approached the coaches on it. I just knew that he had made those comments. When I talked to him and Sanjay that he was pulling himself out of that team period, I thought it was smart. If a guy thinks he is tight or whatever it may be, we don’t want a guy pulling. He knows his body better than anybody.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But he is going to JETS west camp. So I am happy!

BTW...I know this is a noble cause but what does a WR do on a USO sponsored event. A comedian/comedienne can entertain the soldiers. A singer can perform, But what does a NFL WR do. Plus Holmes must have caused a lot of anguish to the Steelers and JETS fans amongst our soldiers.

Here are some quotes from Rex on Holmes:

On how Holmes came off the field…

The thing about him is that he is a competitive guy. I guess you would have to ask him because I never saw it. I thought he was in great spirits. He told me I looked great so I felt good about that. (laughter)

On Holmes telling the coaches to take away some of his reps…

I know he was scheduled for ‘X’ amount of reps and I know he wanted to take some of those off. Any time a player tells you that, like Brandon Moore, I remember last year he finally just said, “I can’t go today.” Well Brandon, all you have to do is tell us. He knows. You lean on your guys. They know their bodies. Anytime a player has tightness or whatever, then we are not here to push you over, ‘Oh, you can do that.’ These are professional athletes. They know their bodies. Santonio knows his body better than anybody, obviously. So if he thinks he would be stretching it to give another five, 10 snaps, then you have to be smart about that and that’s really with any of those veteran players.

On Holmes sitting out…

I don’t know when he even approached the coaches on it. I just knew that he had made those comments. When I talked to him and Sanjay that he was pulling himself out of that team period, I thought it was smart. If a guy thinks he is tight or whatever it may be, we don’t want a guy pulling. He knows his body better than anybody.

Dina Lohan, Head Coach.

So I take it none of you athletes ever got pissed during a workout or practice, especially early in the season before you were back in shape, because you weren't where you are used to being?

Getting pissed about this = competitive.

Biggest non-story of the preseason so far. I love 24/7 sports news! It's so.... Necessary!

Good point. No one has ever been injured while fatigued in shorts and a tshirt.

After 20 reps, that's embarrassing. And then causes a scene.

Quinton Coples is the next Bruce Smith going against cones in shorts and a tshirt, but Santonio Holmes cant jog some routes and catch passes without throwing a temper tantrum. My kinda team, Charlie.

Quinton Coples is the next Bruce Smith going against cones in shorts and a tshirt, but Santonio Holmes cant jog some routes and catch passes without throwing a temper tantrum. My kinda team, Charlie.

I respect a man that knows his body.

I respect a man that knows his body.

I don't respect a man that publicly undresses his WR coach(who's new) in front to the entire team. It's a bush league move.

If rex doesnt step in and get this sh*t together its going to be another long finger pointing season with the offense.

I don't respect a man that publicly undresses his WR coach(who's new) in front to the entire team. It's a bush league move.

If rex doesnt step in and get this sh*t together its going to be another long finger pointing season with the offense.

I believe Rex said that he's a veteran who knows his body.

I don't know how to say this any more clearly... IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Obviously after being on the other side of the world, he couldn't keep up with the team, and it pissed him off. I'd be pissed too if I was used to my body responding one way, and it wasn't cooperating. The lot of you trying to wedge this in an agenda-driven argument sound the most non-athletic bunch of goobers ever. The guy had a bad practice.

Athletes, athletic people, they get pissed sometimes when they can't meet their own expectations. Did you ever play baseball? Ever strikeout? Ever slam your bat into the ground or chuck your helmet afterwards? Why?

Who cares? You think its the first time any of the guys on this team have seen a teammate pop off on a position coach when it's clear the player is having a bad day at the office?

Sky. Is. Falling.

I don't know how to be this any more clearly... IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Obviously after being on the other side of the world, he couldn't keep up with the team, and it pissed him off. I'd be pissed too if I was used to my body responding one way, and it wasn't cooperating. The lot of you trying to wedge this in an agenda-driven argument sound the most non-athletic bunch of goobers ever. The guy had a bad practice.

Athletes, athletic people, they get pissed sometimes when they can't meet their own expectations. Did you ever play baseball? Ever strikeout? Ever slam your bat into the ground or chuck your helmet afterwards? Why?

We talking about practice. Not the game, practice. Slamming your helmet is one thing...ripping the new WR coach in public, in front of the team, in front of rookies, is bad form and just shows nothing has changed with this jackass.

Considering how the season ended last year, this looks bush. That's all.

Rex also openly admitted he didn't have the pulse of the team last season because of garbage like this.

Players didn't get along with each other last year.

Not the same as a player having a routine frustration exchange with a coach because said player is struggling.

Not the same at all.

Who cares? You think its the first time any of the guys on this team have seen a teammate pop off on a position coach when it's clear the player is having a bad day at the office?

Sky. Is. Falling.

it's a maturity level thing. This stuff does matter actually. It isnt an individual sport like baseball....this team sh*t does matter. Holmes is a baby and considering we're still a couple years away from the defense being able to really carry us to a Super Bowl, we'd probably be better off without him as a team.

Players didn't get along with each other last year.

Not the same as a player having a routine frustration exchange with a coach because said player is struggling.

Not the same at all.

From all accounts, it was the entire team vs Sanotnio Holmes that didnt get along last season.

So I take it none of you athletes ever got pissed during a workout or practice, especially early in the season before you were back in shape, because you weren't where you are used to being?

Getting pissed about this = competitive.

Biggest non-story of the preseason so far. I love 24/7 sports news! It's so.... Necessary!

I think it's the throwing of the helmet and yelling a the coaches that makes it a problem. You would think he learned a thing or two from the last time he pulled something like that. It just shows that he is a child. Just like was said by one of the players at the end of last season. If want to spin it that this is a good thing because it means he's competitive so be it. I've never heard of Mangold, Harris, Pace, BT, Brick, Kerley, Moore, Maybin, Cro, Smith (lol) Wilson, Pouha, Wilk, Devito, Slauson, Scott, Green, Connor, Shlauderhaffnagle, or anyone else throwing their helmet to prove how competitive they are.

Especially the first practice back after throwing a temper tantrum in a live game where the playoffs were on the line and pouting on the sideline like a....um.... child.

Stop defending this turd. We all hope he catches brown balls thrown high in the air to him at the end of a long grassy type field so we can yell YAAAAY!

But to make it like Holmes is some sort of warrior because he yelled at the coaches and threw his helmet is ridiculous.

This

We talking about practice. Not the game, practice. Slamming your helmet is one thing...ripping the new WR coach in public, in front of the team, in front of rookies, is bad form and just shows nothing has changed with this jackass.

Considering how the season ended last year, this looks bush. That's all.

Season ended last year with Santonio NOT CARING.

Now Santonio cares to the point of getting pissed, and it's spun to be the same?

Listen when an NFL player can't keep up, he isn't going to say "golly gee coach, I'm sucking wind today" no... he's going to say "DAMMIT COACH WAHH WAHHH WAHHH". Regardless, the coach knows what the outcry is about. Player isn't in shape yet, can't keep up, doesn't want to admit it... pride.

Give me a break with all this. It's a friggin June OTA.

Season ended last year with Santonio NOT CARING.

Now Santonio cares to the point of getting pissed, and it's spun to be the same?

Listen when an NFL player can't keep up, he isn't going to say "golly gee coach, I'm sucking wind today" no... he's going to say "DAMMIT COACH WAHH WAHHH WAHHH". Regardless, the coach knows what the outcry is about. Player isn't in shape yet, can't keep up, doesn't want to admit it... pride.

Give me a break with all this. It's a friggin June OTA.

Time will tell anyways. I highly doubt Holmes is going to turn into a good teammate though. If he were a star I'd deal. He's a decent WR. Every team in the NFL has a decent WR.

Rex also openly admitted he didn't have the pulse of the team last season because of garbage like this.

Well, he's an awful coach. Duh.

Sky. Is. Falling.

Have you ever seen the Adrian Peterson film of him at practice battling with the RB coach in Minn? (Eric Bieniemy)

it's a maturity level thing. This stuff does matter actually. It isnt an individual sport like baseball....this team sh*t does matter. Holmes is a baby and considering we're still a couple years away from the defense being able to really carry us to a Super Bowl, we'd probably be better off without him as a team.

From all accounts, it was the entire team vs Sanotnio Holmes that didnt get along last season.

Listen. I'm not a Santonio apologist, but the lengths you are going to make something out of nothing is laughable.

I guarantee the standards to which you hold players on a random June afternoon are nowhere near those you hold for yourself.

I think it's the throwing of the helmet and yelling a the coaches that makes it a problem. You would think he learned a thing or two from the last time he pulled something like that. It just shows that he is a child. Just like was said by one of the players at the end of last season. If want to spin it that this is a good thing because it means he's competitive so be it. I've never heard of Mangold, Harris, Pace, BT, Brick, Kerley, Moore, Maybin, Cro, Smith (lol) Wilson, Pouha, Wilk, Devito, Slauson, Scott, Green, Connor, Shlauderhaffnagle, or anyone else throwing their helmet to prove how competitive they are. Especially the first practice back after throwing a temper tantrum in a live game where the playoffs were on the line and pouting on the sideline like a....um.... child. Stop defending this turd. We all hope he catches brown balls thrown high in the air to him at the end of a long grassy type field so we can yell YAAAAY! But to make it like Holmes is some sort of warrior because he yelled at the coaches and threw his helmet is ridiculous.

I'm defending common sense and rationality.

You guys want Santonio to stop being a baby, but then... listen to yourselves, because of a bad day of practice, extrapolating this into all sorts of mellowdramatic catastrophe.

Listen. I'm not a Santonio apologist, but the lengths you are going to make something out of nothing is laughable.

I guarantee the standards to which you hold players on a random June afternoon are nowhere near those you hold for yourself.

I generally never acted like a cry baby to coaches when running receiver routes, no. I've ran routes before, it isnt exactly a taxing exercise. I don't know what that has anything to do with it though.

The only reason it was a story was because of the player. He quit on the field last year. Called out coaches, called out teammates. He's 27-28 years old now....time to grow the **** up.

Have you ever seen the Adrian Peterson film of him at practice battling with the RB coach in Minn? (Eric Bieniemy)

Yeah.

Better yet, I played sports - and know athletes.

This is a big pile of nothing. I'm glad he showed up on D1 and had some fire personally, his problem last year was not giving a sh*t.

I'm defending common sense and rationality.

You guys want Santonio to stop being a baby, but then... listen to yourselves, because of a bad day of practice, extrapolating this into all sorts of mellowdramatic catastrophe.

TO compare a message board to a guy getting paid 10 mil a year to catch a football is silly and you know it. All we are commenting on is the fact that the team impoded last year. Holmes being the main culprit if not at least one of them. His first practice back, he throws his helmet and yells at the new WR coach in front of the whole team. How you can defend this is beyond me.

I will concede that it's only June and it's early, but this speaks volumes as to what we need to get a handle on. This is actually a BIG deal. Much much bigger than how Sporano proposed to his wife. LOL

( that one was just for you)

Yeah.

Better yet, I played sports - and know athletes.

This is a big pile of nothing. I'm glad he showed up on D1 and had some fire personally, his problem last year was not giving a sh*t.

No. His problem last year was he cried about not getting the ball as much as he would have liked, leagued up with Plax to alienate the QB, and helped to divide the team.

Archived