NBA Finals thread: Heat vs Thunder

Blackout

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heat are better defensivley. Ibaka's aggresiveness on D will get him in foul trouble against an attacking LBJ & Wade. While OKC does have BIGS they still have no post up prescence. Heat will run P&R's all day long bringing the Bigs out of the paint. Bosh will be out on the permiter also bringing a Big out of the paint. Heat in 6.

As much as it I hated seeing the Heat win, this is the most compelling Finals. We never got to see Kobe vs. LeBron, but we're getting to see the next best thing.

That said, Miami is drastically overrated and really not that great. The East sucks. The team had to beat the sh*tty Knicks, the average Pacers, and the old Celts and every series was harder than the first.

OKC mopped up the best of the West, beating the defending Champs in Dallas, destroying LA and taking the Spurs in 4 straight after dropping the first 2.

OKC in 5. Better deeper team with home court advantage.

Thunder in 6.

Homecourt, match up talent wise, but with deeper bench.

Depends if Lebron busted his nut against Boston or not. If that Lebron shows up, all bets are off. I say Miami in 5. Heat have a ton of Finals experience on the floor and the best player on the planet. And if Wade actually decides he'd like to play basketball that really shifts the talent balance. But who the hell knows. I've lost a ton of respect for him this year between the dirty plays and laziness. Dude was always like the Derek Jeter of Miami, but not anymore. Derek Jeter doesn't take playoff games off and spear guys in the back.

As much as it I hated seeing the Heat win, this is the most compelling Finals. We never got to see Kobe vs. LeBron, but we're getting to see the next best thing.

Yep. Best player in the world vs. the 2nd best player in the world, each with more than capable sidekicks. And while the Heat are the antithesis of the late-80s Pistons, they're still the closest thing to a "villain" the NBA has.

I like the Thunder to win this series because I don't see the Heat being any better than the version that lost to Dallas last year. Everyone wondered how Dallas was going to handle two top-10 players. They did it with Dirk going beast mode and everyone else filling in to their roles capably. They also controlled the boards. The Thunder have that ability with Durant and co.

Meanwhile, the Heat are a team without an identity, STILL, and that pretty much always fails when you get to the Finals. What was the last championship team that won it all despite not really knowing what they do best on any given night? I can't think of any.

Of course, all it takes is LeBron having a couple of "F*** you" games and this thing is over before it starts.

Yep. Best player in the world vs. the 2nd best player in the world, each with more than capable sidekicks. And while the Heat are the antithesis of the late-80s Pistons, they're still the closest thing to a "villain" the NBA has. I like the Thunder to win this series because I don't see the Heat being any better than the version that lost to Dallas last year. Everyone wondered how Dallas was going to handle two top-10 players. They did it with Dirk going beast mode and everyone else filling in to their roles capably. The Thunder have that ability with Durant and co.

I think the 2 things that favor OKC is depth and size. The reality is, the Celts has no business losing that series...they blew 2 games they totally out played the Heat because they went on scoring droughts. OKC doesnt do that and are able to put teams away. Even when the Celts had a big lead and won, they squandered it away at some point in the game. I dont see that happening with OKC. Especially if it comes down to last possessions. Durant >>> LeBron

Overall, I dont think the Heat are a great team. Not at all. They've had the luxury of playing in the watered down sh*t hole that is the Eastern Conference and should have literally cruised to the Finals, but that wasnt the case. OKC did though, vs. 5x the competition. Really think this is a walk away for the Thunder but I know its also totally biased because I hate everything about the Heat.

Really think this is a walk away for the Thunder but I know its also totally biased because I hate everything about the Heat.

I hope you're right. I don't think the Thunder will win this series in any less than 6 games, however. Miami will not lose 2 games at home, and LeBron on his own can win them 2 games.

Yep. Best player in the world vs. the 2nd best player in the world, each with more than capable sidekicks. And while the Heat are the antithesis of the late-80s Pistons, they're still the closest thing to a "villain" the NBA has.

I like the Thunder to win this series because I don't see the Heat being any better than the version that lost to Dallas last year. Everyone wondered how Dallas was going to handle two top-10 players. They did it with Dirk going beast mode and everyone else filling in to their roles capably. They also controlled the boards. The Thunder have that ability with Durant and co.

Really have to disagree. Dallas' bigs were insanely good defensively between Marion and Chandler. They also had an entire group of veteran all-stars and award winners who'd never won a championship (Kidd, Dirk, Tyson, Marion, Terry, Peja), coupled with Dirk playing at a level last year that I don't quite think Durant has played on during this postseason. It's apples and oranges trying to compare them. I think the one thing OKC might have going for them right now is naivete, because it's been an insane run that they've been on to get to this point and there's so much inexperience between all of them that they don't realize what's happening. Inexperience is a thing that always seems to catch up to young players like this eventually, even if it's in the Finals. Between their lineup, strengths, and experience, I don't see many similarities between that Dallas team and this OKC team. They had several bodies they could put on Lebron and Wade to force them to play a perimeter game, OKC doesn't, and even though they're hella athletic that's not enough to stop Lebron if he decides he wants to attack the paint.

Meanwhile, the Heat are a team without an identity, STILL, and that pretty much always fails when you get to the Finals. What was the last championship team that won it all despite not really knowing what they do best on any given night? I can't think of any.

Disagree again. Before they went on cruise control after the break and throughout the first round they sure looked like a team that knew exactly what they were doing. Bosh got hurt and it took some time to figure out their spacing. As much as everyone makes fun of the guy he's still a great player. Then the Boston series hit and it took a few games for Lebron to say **** it, I'm not letting Wade lose us this series. Then Game 7 hits, Bosh is fine, and all is back to normal. If Miami had that Game 7 team on the floor for that entire series, I don't think that would have gone more than 5 games. They sure as hell had an identity for a good amount of the season when healthy and motivated, and it's probably more likely than not that team shows up for this series.

I like OKC on paper, but I'm sure Miami will win because the world is a cruel place completely devoid of light in which hope, belief, and even existence are completely meaningless.

Makes sense. After all, the Jets did extend Mark Sanchez's contract.

Oh stop it. What OKC did to Seattle is far worse than what Lebron did to Cleveland.

Yeah, but we don't have an entire network devoted to telling us that what OKC did was no big deal and we should all root for them and look how super awesome Clay Bennett is, dudes!

Yeah, but we don't have an entire network devoted to telling us that what OKC did was no big deal and we should all root for them and look how super awesome they are, dudes!

Nah, it's worse. Because Seattle is the scorned ex-boyfriend that nobody cares about, and the chick just tells her friends rumors that his arena wasn't good enough for her. But everyone knows Cleveland got f'd, and the ex's friends realized it and one of the other, younger hot chicks took pity on him and got together with him. He's starting to get laid again and everyone high fives him when he's out because they're so sympathic towards him. Meanwhile Seattle is alone, all the time, and masturbating while crying every night using his own tears as lube.

I don't even know why I'm trying to explain or rationalize this. You know better. If our relationship with sports were in any way rational, we all would have become Steelers fans years ago.

Russell Martin ruined my weekend. I'm starting to realize that all I have now is a summer full of walking through puke-soaked Wrigleyville streets and summer reports written by Rich Cimini. I feel like Brooks when he realized he couldn't work at the Foodway anymore. Suicidal clarity is a helluva thing.

Nah, it's worse. Because Seattle is the scorned ex-boyfriend that nobody cares about, and the chick just tells her friends rumors that his arena wasn't good enough for her. But everyone knows Cleveland got f'd, and the ex's friends realized it and one of the other hot chicks took pity on him and got together with him. He's starting to get laid again and everyone high fives him when he's out because they're so sympathic towards him. Meanwhile Seattle is alone, all the time, and masturbating while crying every night using his own tears as lube.

I'm just getting tired of the sports-industrial complex pushing me to consume consume consume. If I hear one more ******* lecture from Mike Breen about how unreasonable it is to hate LeBron, I'm going to throw my TV out the window. Of course it's unreasonable. That's because I'm a fan, not a discerning purchaser of athletes-cum-commodities like ESPN/Nike/Gatorade/NBA/NFL wants me to be. There is no rational reason to hate Tom Brady, but I hope he never wins another game and then dies of syphilis at age 38. There's no rational reason to hate Juan Pierre, but I hope he gets gang-raped by a herd of bison. There's no rational reason to hate LeBron more than Clay Bennett, but here I am, hoping the latter wins a title and lines his pockets at the expense of the former. It is what it is. Enough already.

Russell Martin ruined my weekend. I'm starting to realize that all I have now is a summer full of walking through puke-soaked Wrigleyville streets and summer reports written by Rich Cimini. I feel like Brooks when he realized he couldn't work at the Foodway anymore. Suicidal clarity is a helluva thing.

At least you made peace with the Heat. Once they win the title, the summer basically becomes me wallowing in impotent rage while I wait for the latest blowup from Holmes. GTs, man, GTs.

I like OKC in 5 or 6, but Im a bit nervous about how they will react when they come face to face with Lebron and Wade. I think Durant could go toe to toe with James scoring, but thats not his demeanor. He'll take whatever his teammates give him, and Westbrook can have nights in a series like this where he gives him no looks. Lebron has been out of this world in the playoffs and its tough to beat a guy like that if OKC cant counter with Durant.

That said I think OKC is the far better team. They are better coached. They faced much better competition. If Miami doesnt get out in transition they have a much tougher time and OKC actually hits baskets making that pretty difficult for Miami.

I like OKC in 5 or 6, but Im a bit nervous about how they will react when they come face to face with Lebron and Wade. I think Durant could go toe to toe with James scoring, but thats not his demeanor. He'll take whatever his teammates give him, and Westbrook can have nights in a series like this where he gives him no looks. Lebron has been out of this world in the playoffs and its tough to beat a guy like that if OKC cant counter with Durant.

This. I think it's just too early for him. He hasn't developed that killer instinct yet, but I do think it'll come in due time. That's something that just comes over time with playoff experience. There's a difference between being an elite scorer and an assassin. Lebron's been the latter this postseason and I think that makes all the difference in this series.

This. I think it's just too early for him. He hasn't developed that killer instinct yet, but I do think it'll come in due time. That's something that just comes over time with playoff experience. There's a difference between being an elite scorer and an assassin. Lebron's been the latter this postseason and I think that makes all the difference in this series.

God, your hard on for LeBron knows no end. He's been an assassin this postseason but Durant hasnt despite the facts? lmfao.

Durant - game 1 vs. Dallas - game winner with 1.5 seconds left on the clock

Durant - game 1 vs. Dallas - hits the go ahead free throws w/ 50 seconds left

Durant - game 2 vs. LA - hits the go ahead jumped with 18 seconds left to win the game

Durant - game 5 vs. LA - hits the go ahead game winning 3 with no time left on the clock

Durant - game 4 vs. SA - scored 18 pts in the final 7 minutes of the game.

Thats not assassin like? No killer instinct?

The one time the Heat needed LeBron to be clutch in the closing minutes of the game, he differed. But he's an assassin. Okay...

LeBron has been outstanding this postseason but Durant has been tremendous in the clutch, to say otherwise is outright stupid.

At least you made peace with the Heat. Once they win the title, the summer basically becomes me wallowing in impotent rage while I wait for the latest blowup from Holmes. GTs, man, GTs.

I think the lockout changed my view on everything. That sh*t should have been settled so much sooner because the settlement they came to was nothing drastic. But Stern wanted to have a dick measuring contest and decided to play the 'inmates running the asylum' card; and cost the fans a legit season and the Knicks a healthy team for the playoffs. Blocking the Paul trade was the last straw for me with him. F 'em. Meanwhile if I'm a former diehard Sonics fan, I have an assortment of nooses made and ready to go. Weird how this isn't a story at all right now. But, like you said, the media be a fickle bunch.

I've gotta take the Thunder in 6; they hold home court and steal one in Miami. Lebron's had himself an absolutely fantastic playoffs, no doubt about it, the games he realizes he's Lebron james, there's no stopping him. However, for my money, give me Lebron James from the '08-'09 playoffs, he was better in just about every facet of the game: he was insanely more efficient (a 37+ PER...i mean get the **** outta here with that sh*t), scored more, had more assists, got to the line at a higher clip and was better from both the line and field. That was the last year I loved Lebron, right before his last year in Cleveland that he spent dancing around and taking pictures. That's the reason I dislike him so much, because of how much I used to like him. Once he became a doucey-diva, I became a scorned ex-lover..so to speak. To me, I've never seen a better all-around and more efficient playoffs than Lebron in '08-'09, so to me it doesn't matter what he does, but how Wade, Bosh and the supporting cast show up. I just don't have faith in them after watching Wade inexplicably mail it in half the games. I'm taking OKC in 6.

I reserve the right to change it to Heat in 7 following game 1 if I see that Wade decides that he actually wants Lebron to win a championship.

First, ESPN is a fuvking joke with this self-created "OMG EVERYBODY HATES LEBRON. DON'T YOU JUST HATE LEBRON? YOU PEOPLE ARE SO DUMB FOR HATING LEBRON. BTW, HATE LEBRON!" storyline that they keep trying to foment. It's similar to their embarrassingly overzealous attempt to make us care about Barry Bonds. Enough.

I like the Heat in six because Lebron can cover Durant and Durant can't cover Lebron. Westbrook will go crazy trying to emasculate Wade, which will choke the OKC offense.

Knick fans spent years blowing Lebron and will spend the rest of his career bashing him.

Ehh, most Knicks' fans I know stopped liking him prior to the '09-'10 season due to his childish, douche-like behavior, but were completely willing to swallow some pride if it meant having the best basketball player on the planet on their favorite team.

Marbury had that too. Oh the days.

My feelings towards Lebron have pretty much mirrored those of mine towards Steph. He was the player I idolized growing up; we shared almost identical names, same height, same position, born in brooklyn etc. etc. pretty much loved the guy. When he came to the Knicks it was like a dream come true and for him, not completely on his own, to just implode on my favorite sports team, it just crushed me . Same thing with Lebron. Loved watching the kid play ever since his first year on Cleveland. Then when he started acting like a prick during his last year on the Cavs, I stopped liking him and that pissed me off, because of how much I wanted to still like him. That and go to any other team but the ******* heat, I mean christ.

OKC now with the lead. It would be a pretty tough loss for Miami to waste what could be a 20 point effort from Shane Battier. When the scrub guys put up baskets they should win going away. Wades been awful again though. They need him to start playing better.

OKC now with the lead. It would be a pretty tough loss for Miami to waste what could be a 20 point effort from Shane Battier. When the scrub guys put up baskets they should win going away. Wades been awful again though. They need him to start playing better.

Would be a very tough loss for Miami. I've felt like it for a while that the best I've ever seen Lebron play was in the '08-'09 playoffs and that right now, it doesn't matter how beastly of a game he plays, whether they win or not is up to Wade. No idea why, but with as bad as he's playing, it almost seems like he doesn't want Lebron do get a chip. I know that's absurd, but i'm having a tough time finding a rational reason why he's been, for lack of a better phrase, so un-wade-like this postseason.

Archived