flgreen

Notes: The Tony and Tone show

June, 10, 2012

Jun 10

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Sunday notes and observations on the Jets and the NFL:

1. ODD COUPLE: Santonio Holmes was no fan of Brian Schottenheimer. Speaking to reporters Thursday, he took a subtle jab at his former OC. Asked about Tony Sparano's no-nonsense style and the accountability he demands, Holmes said, "It'll be great for an offense that was lacking a lot of that last year." It's funny to hear Holmes, of all people, stress the need for accountability. It sets up a "Be careful what you wish for" situation: How will the Jets' resident diva respond to the old-school Sparano? Prediction: He'll either fall into line or butt heads with Sparano; there will be no middle ground. Based on Holmes' mini-tantrum Thursday, I'd say there's a better chance of the latter. Sparano is Parcells Lite, and there's no way he will tolerate any player pulling himself out of practice and telling the world how the coaches should handle him. Holmes-Sparano will be almost as fascinating as Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow.

2. SAME OLD TONE? The Holmes practice incident received a tremendous amount of media coverage -- maybe too much -- casting him in a bad light. But here's the deal: If Holmes really wants to be perceived as a team guy, if he wants to redeem himself after last season's mess, he has to make an extra effort to change the perception. He knows he's under the microscope, and he knows every little transgression will be a headline, which is why he needs to be on his best behavior. Last Thursday wasn't a good start.

3. REVIS CHATTER: Darrelle Revis is confusing me. In an interview with the Star-Ledger of Newark, he reiterated he's not unhappy with his contract and wants to retire as a Jet. At the same time, he won't commit to showing up for training camp. Interesting how Team Revis has changed its approach from 2010, the year of his five-week holdout. Back then, it attacked with an all-out blitz. This time, it's playing a Cover-2, waiting for the opponent -- the Jets' front office -- to make its move. My gut feeling: no holdout, no new contract. There's some risk there for the Jets. If Revis has another Revis year, they'll have to pay him the sun and the moon in 2013, when they will be $19 million over the projected salary cap. Remember, they can't use the franchise tag on Revis in 2014. To a paraphrase the old Fram oil-filter slogan, you can pay him now or pay him later.

4. JETS WEST INVITES: Sanchez should be commended for organizing the annual "Jets West" passing camp, but let's not nominate him to sainthood just because he invited Tebow. That was a no-brainer; Sanchez invites every skill-position player. Could you imagine the controversy if he excluded his new backup? And did anybody really think Tebow would blow it off? If he did that, he'd be painted as the bad guy. Happy camping, fellas.

5. JETS EAST: On Memorial Day weekend, TE Dustin Keller chartered a yacht out of Manhattan and invited the tight ends and wide receivers for a day trip. The voyage included plenty of food and the players got to play their own music. A total of 14 people made the trip (no Holmes), including a few wives and girlfriends. Keller, entering his fifth season, is definitely emerging as one of the leaders on offense. Here's another way to look at it: A year ago, the receiving corps made plenty of waves. This time, it enjoyed them.

6. HANGING CHAD: The Jets have no interest in WR Chad Ochocinco, but it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on the receiver market -- i.e. Braylon Edwards. The lack of veteran depth was amplified last week, with rookie Stephen Hill (hamstring) sitting out. Beyond Holmes, the receiving corps has only 111 career catches, including 72 by Chaz Schilens. Edwards might be worth a look, if he has recovered from knee surgery.

7. SPEAKING OF CHAD: If Ochocinco signs with the Dolphins (he reportedly will work out for them), it'll make Revis happy. He owns Ochocinco, who has been running on fumes for a couple of years. If nothing else, he'd provide another storyline for "Hard Knocks."

8. BIG MONEY FOR BIG TIGHT END: The Patriots made a smart move by tearing up the final two years of Rob Gronkowski's contract and giving him a six-year, $53 million deal. That sounds like a lot of money for a tight end, but it's actually a team-friendly deal -- $12.9 million (all guaranteed) over the first three years. Or course, the benefit to Gronkowski is that he scores big money two years ahead of free agency. Gronk is going to be around for a long time, much to the chagrin of the AFC East.

9. WHAT A TWIT: Broncos LB D.J. Williams, already serving a six-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs, tweeted on his iPad a picture of the team's defensive playbook. Obviously, his positive test wasn't for smart pills.

10. PLAYER SPEAK: Bucs longtime CB Ronde Barber praised new coach Greg Schiano, saying his tough, intense style is just what they need. (Hmm, sounds like what the Jets are saying about Sparano.) Just once I'd like to hear a player say, "Nah, we don't need a disciplinarian, we want a softie."

6. HANGING CHAD: The Jets have no interest in WR Chad Ochocinco, but it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on the receiver market -- i.e. Braylon Edwards. The lack of veteran depth was amplified last week, with rookie Stephen Hill (hamstring) sitting out. Beyond Holmes, the receiving corps has only 111 career catches, including 72 by Chaz Schilens. Edwards might be worth a look, if he has recovered from knee surgery.

How does Cimini think Braylon and the Jets fit together? Braylon as #4? Hill as #4? Schilens as #5? White on the practice squad?

Richie likes stirring up the sh!t, I'd love for him to do a little reporting on why no one was interested in Braylon last year, and why no one seems interested this year, either.

How does Cimini think Braylon and the Jets fit together? Braylon as #4? Hill as #4? Schilens as #5? White on the practice squad?

Richie likes stirring up the sh!t, I'd love for him to do a little reporting on why no one was interested in Braylon last year, and why no one seems interested this year, either.

This.

All this article proves is that Cimini writes for the lowest common denominator of paranoid, over-reactive Jet fans. Nothing more.

Only difference is that ESPN pays him to write sh*t that half of the people here write and start threads about 10-20 times a day, for free.

^^ He's got one hell of a writing gig with that.

If there's one thing I can support it's that what Holmes said was definitely a shot gainst Schottenheimer and nobody else. That was extremely subtle. Cimini definitely knows who to take shots at in his writing...

I even commented there about how Revis is confusing Cimini because I really think Revis is manipulating the media. Cimini is always the one stirring up sh*t in interviews with Revis, and Revis is not a dumb man. I'm pretty sure he knows what's going on and is basically just toying with them all. I like how he's pretty tightlipped when asked by Cimini but that Star Ledger article is much better. I wouldn't be surprised if he's like the rest of us and thinks that Cimini is a dick and treats him as such and that's why Cimini always tries to start sh*t with him.

BTW: Be sure to post the next Cimini piece when it comes out. I can't get enough of that guy. I hate him, but I can't help reading and commenting on what he writes.

It's like a train wreck or car crash. You just have to stop and look.

The fate of this regime rests on fixing Sanchez. Braylon was the only guy (next to Keller) that Sanchez seemed to trust enough to actually throw the football to. Why not give Sanchez every opportunity to succeed with guys he likes in his huddle? Sure, Edwards is likely an alcoholic, but I'll take a hung-over flake over a malignant tumor/quitter every day of the week.

BTW: Be sure to post the next Cimini piece when it comes out. I can't get enough of that guy. I hate him, but I can't help reading and commenting on what he writes.

We're not Jets fans because we're addicted to slathering our frontal cortex in tales of unfettered success. Cimini knows this, and speaks to our shared mental illness.

The fate of this regime rests on fixing Sanchez. Braylon was the only guy (next to Keller) that Sanchez seemed to trust enough to actually throw the football to. Why not give Sanchez every opportunity to succeed with guys he likes in his huddle? Sure, Edwards is likely an alcoholic, but I'll take a hung-over flake over a malignant tumor/quitter every day of the week.

This. If Sanchez is really "the guy" and all their fates lie with him, why are they so reluctant to at least discuss the possibility of re-adding Edwards (assuming he's healed)? Edwards and Sanchez made each other better, something Holmes and Sanchez clearly don't do.

You people are assuming that Edwards is healthy. The last thing I read a few weeks ago was that he was still rehabbing his knee injury. If it was as minor of an injury as was reported last year, it shouldn't be taking this long to heal. Also, consider that no other team has brought him in for a look. That should also tell you something.

This. If Sanchez is really "the guy" and all their fates lie with him, why are they so reluctant to at least discuss the possibility of re-adding Edwards (assuming he's healed)? Edwards and Sanchez made each other better, something Holmes and Sanchez clearly don't do.

I'm not sure they are reluctant.

Before the draft Mike T mentioned that Edwards is still a possibility. Unexpectedly adding Hill has changed that dynamic, and reduced the glaring need for a player with Edwards skillset.

I think they also want to see what the other young players like Schilens, Jackson, and I would have thought White before the injury, can bring to the table before making a move.

The issue of Edwards knee is major. One of his main attributes was his upfied speed, if he isn't right, he is about useless on this offense.

If Edwards is added, IMO, it won't be till late in camp, after they have seen what the kids have, and if Edwards can run.

I like Edwards but I think the chances of that are slim unless Schilens, and Hill are disappointing.

In 2010, Santonio Holmes had nearly as many catches (52) in 12 games as Braylon Edwards had (53) in 16 games. So obviously, when both players where available, Sanchez was targeting Holmes more. And that's even though he worked with Edwards the previous year, and had some rapport going in the first four weeks of the year. So the argument that Sanchez trusted Edwards more than anyone else doesn't really fly.

Further, Edwards did have a decent year on a ground and pound team with over 900 yards at 17.1 ypc and 7 TDs, and yet the only deal the then 28 year old former #3 overall pick could get was an incentive laden one year deal. This year he remains out of work. This is a guy who should be in the prime of his career, and he appears to be essentially blackballed. He's at least an alcoholic. This is a very talented guy who can't get a job because the entire league feels he's not worth the risk.

Last year the whole offense suffered from a lack of speed. This year they drafted Hill and signed Schilens to address that deficiency directly. Those guys will stretch the field, demand safety attention, and open up a lot underneath for everybody's favorite WR, Santonio Holmes, to finally emerge as a #1 WR. They not only don't need Edwards, they just don't want him, and there's no room for him even if they did.

Further, Edwards did have a decent year on a ground and pound team with over 900 yards at 17.1 ypc and 7 TDs, and yet the only deal the then 28 year old former #3 overall pick could get was an incentive laden one year deal. This year he remains out of work. This is a guy who should be in the prime of his career, and he appears to be essentially blackballed. He's at least an alcoholic. This is a very talented guy who can't get a job because the entire league feels he's not worth the risk.

Last year the whole offense suffered from a lack of speed. This year they drafted Hill and signed Schilens to address that deficiency directly. Those guys will stretch the field, demand safety attention, and open up a lot underneath for everybody's favorite WR, Santonio Holmes, to finally emerge as a #1 WR. They not only don't need Edwards, they just don't want him, and there's no room for him even if they did.

These two points, in the end, are the bottom line.

Edwards has shot himself in the foot, in a different manner then then our second favorite ex-Jet WR.

After his pretty good season on a ground and pound O, he goes out and has a 1 car crash with a tree on private property at 3am. The day after his court hearing for violation of probation, he's involved in a bar fight that some one gets stabbed in. Then he tweets about it.

LOL

Who would pay this guy?

Now he's injured, and the Jets need for a big fast deep threat has moved on. It's still possible the Jets might bring him in late if he can still run because in all honesty both Hill and Schilens are still giant question marks.

I'm wouldn't mid it, but I'm not banking on it either.

Edwards is smart if he makes it very public he is in AA, keeps his mouth shut, and prays he heals

This year they drafted Hill and signed Schilens to address that deficiency directly. Those guys will stretch the field, demand safety attention, and open up a lot underneath for everybody's favorite WR, Santonio Holmes, to finally emerge as a #1 WR. They not only don't need Edwards, they just don't want him, and there's no room for him even if they did.

Holy leaps of faith, Batman. Holmes, in his seventh year in the league, is going to all-of-a-sudden emerge as a #1 receiver because we signed Oakland's fifth receiver and drafted a guy who caught 22 passes last year...in the ACC? Holmes was the #1 receiver last year (by default) and managed to catch ~50 passes. It might be time to say that Holmes is just a really decent #2 receiver who's been vastly overrated because of his Super Bowl performance against a bad Arizona secondary. I think that gambling on Holmes, Hill and Schilens to carry Mark Sanchez to the next level is dicey at best. Not that Braylon comes with any guarantees, but if he can run at all, I don't see the danger in bringing him in.

He got railroaded out of here in the first place (in part) because Tannenbaum and Woody hatched a master scheme to steal Plaxico away from the Giants as far back as 2009 when they visited him in prison. It's a mystery as to why he hasn't received more interest (knee? Meth? Sizzurp?). All I know is that the last time Mark Sanchez looked like a viable QB, Braylon was his #1.

Holy leaps of faith, Batman. Holmes, in his seventh year in the league, is going to all-of-a-sudden emerge as a #1 receiver because we signed Oakland's fifth receiver and drafted a guy who caught 22 passes last year...in the ACC? Holmes was the #1 receiver last year (by default) and managed to catch ~50 passes. It might be time to say that Holmes is just a really decent #2 receiver who's been vastly overrated because of his Super Bowl performance against a bad Arizona secondary. I think that gambling on Holmes, Hill and Schilens to carry Mark Sanchez to the next level is dicey at best. Not that Braylon comes with any guarantees, but if he can run at all, I don't see the danger in bringing him in.

He got railroaded out of here in the first place (in part) because Tannenbaum and Woody hatched a master scheme to steal Plaxico away from the Giants as far back as 2009 when they visited him in prison. It's a mystery as to why he hasn't received more interest (knee? Meth? Sizzurp?). All I know is that the last time Mark Sanchez looked like a viable QB, Braylon was his #1.

Well said TS

I forget who had posted it, if it was someone here or JI, but it was mentioned that Holmes went to the Jets front office and basically said its him or me to Tannenbaum. Holmes apparently didnt like Braylon. Obviously a rumor as it was never confirmed...but the interactions between the two on the field was generally Braylon congratulating Holmes and never vice-versa.

Making Braylon out to be the good guy isnt really the truth either though. He had a ton of jack a$$ tendencies as well....but the team was so gaga for Plaxico, I never got the sense they saw Braylon as an important piece at all regardless of Holmes' personal feelings.

I forget who had posted it, if it was someone here or JI, but it was mentioned that Holmes went to the Jets front office and basically said its him or me to Tannenbaum. Holmes apparently didnt like Braylon. Obviously a rumor as it was never confirmed...but the interactions between the two on the field was generally Braylon congratulating Holmes and never vice-versa.

Making Braylon out to be the good guy isnt really the truth either though. He had a ton of jack a$$ tendencies as well....but the team was so gaga for Plaxico, I never got the sense they saw Braylon as an important piece at all regardless of Holmes' personal feelings.

I think 99.999% of the Rex love for Holmes is based in his (and Tannenbaum's) delusional need to believe that they one-upped the Steelers with that trade. That's why they tripped all over themselves to give him top dollar, which is hysterically amusing at this point. And we all know Rex has this baseless idea that he can turn around even the worst social deviants (if anyone has an example, offer it up). If Holnes washes out, everybody loses, which is why they baby him to no end.

As far as Braylon, he's definitely nuts but I don't recall it ever manifesting itself on the field. He always blocked and he didn't show Sanchez up (it seemed). Maybe he's divisive behind the scenes? It'll be an interesting story when it comes out.

Holmes is a good player. He's never going to be a Calvin Johnson type, but he's capable of carrying a #1 sized portion of the load - as long as he has help. Hill and Schilens bring size and speed. If Sanchez can connect with either of these guys early -or just get close to it- teams will have to respect that speed and size with a safety. That's going to open it up for Holmes. I'm not talking about any huge numbers, but 65 catches and 1000 yards seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

As for Braylon, it's surprising for me to see you advocate for his return. Railroaded? I think you could make a case for that if any other team in the league had an interest in him. But no other team does, and no team knows him as well as the Jets. When he's getting the otherwise saintly D'Brick in trouble with the law because he can't avoid a good drinking and driving adventure in NYC, you know the brass is going to want to excise that cancer. And that's cancerous, spreading his drunken ways to his teammates. Holmes is a douchebag, but I don't see anyone defending or joining up with him. He may be a tumor, but he's benign.

If they had more faith in Braylon, they never would've sought to sign Plaxico. But they don't trust him. He's a gifted athlete who's put up big numbers who should be in the prime of his career right now but instead he's burried on the Ocho Owens scrapheap. He's too young to be there, but there he is. Why anyone would suggest that bringing him back could possibly be a good thing is beyond me. Hill had a nice set of mini-camp/OTAs, no reason a second round pick can't be a viable starter in this league. And if he's taking his time, Schilens isn't a terrible backup plan. Better than bringing in someone who might get your OL killed on the way home from a charity event.

Holmes is a good player. He's never going to be a Calvin Johnson type, but he's capable of carrying a #1 sized portion of the load - as long as he has help. Hill and Schilens bring size and speed. If Sanchez can connect with either of these guys early -or just get close to it- teams will have to respect that speed and size with a safety. That's going to open it up for Holmes. I'm not talking about any huge numbers, but 65 catches and 1000 yards seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

As for Braylon, it's surprising for me to see you advocate for his return. Railroaded? I think you could make a case for that if any other team in the league had an interest in him. But no other team does, and no team knows him as well as the Jets. When he's getting the otherwise saintly D'Brick in trouble with the law because he can't avoid a good drinking and driving adventure in NYC, you know the brass is going to want to excise that cancer. And that's cancerous, spreading his drunken ways to his teammates. Holmes is a douchebag, but I don't see anyone defending or joining up with him. He may be a tumor, but he's benign.

If they had more faith in Braylon, they never would've sought to sign Plaxico. But they don't trust him. He's a gifted athlete who's put up big numbers who should be in the prime of his career right now but instead he's burried on the Ocho Owens scrapheap. He's too young to be there, but there he is. Why anyone would suggest that bringing him back could possibly be a good thing is beyond me. Hill had a nice set of mini-camp/OTAs, no reason a second round pick can't be a viable starter in this league. And if he's taking his time, Schilens isn't a terrible backup plan. Better than bringing in someone who might get your OL killed on the way home from a charity event.

Holmes is a talented player who's never been a #1, who's a renowned headcase, who's about to play a season under a coordinator who's promised to run the ball 60% of the time with a QB against whom Holmes co-led a mutiny last year. It's hard to conceive of a scenario wherein Holmes doesn't check out/flip out at some point this season.

I'm not trying to make this Holmes v. Edwards. IMO, what the Jets desperately needed to do this offseason was circle the wagons around Sanchez, and they haven't done it. At all. They needed a TE, they needed to improve their backs and their OL, and they needed to insulate Sanchez from having to rely on Holmes in the passing game. I don't think it's fair, or smart, to rely on an ultra-raw WR prospect whose draft stock shot up solely because of his 40 time. Vlad Ducasse was a 2nd round pick--he's not a viable anything.

This is just a long way to say that if Edwards can run, and if Edwards isn't a crackhead, the Jets should be interested in bringing him in. He's at least someone that has a history of helping Sanchez.

Holmes is a talented player who's never been a #1, who's a renowned headcase, who's about to play a season under a coordinator who's promised to run the ball 60% of the time with a QB against whom Holmes co-led a mutiny last year. It's hard to conceive of a scenario wherein Holmes doesn't check out/flip out at some point this season.

I'm not trying to make this Holmes v. Edwards. IMO, what the Jets desperately needed to do this offseason was circle the wagons around Sanchez, and they haven't done it. At all. They needed a TE, they needed to improve their backs and their OL, and they needed to insulate Sanchez from having to rely on Holmes in the passing game. I don't think it's fair, or smart, to rely on an ultra-raw WR prospect whose draft stock shot up solely because of his 40 time. Vlad Ducasse was a 2nd round pick--he's not a viable anything.

This is just a long way to say that if Edwards can run, and if Edwards isn't a crackhead, the Jets should be interested in bringing him in. He's at least someone that has a history of helping Sanchez.

I think I speak for most of this board who has read your posts for years when I say this...

Thank Tebow you aren't the GM.

That is all, you can go on bashing the team and GM in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR ******* POSTS now.

Yeah. I still don't see the offense having a guy that can Sanchez can dump the ball to and make people miss. Or a guy that can get behind the safety like Braylon was able to in 09-10. Hill is a project. If we cant run the ball like we did in 2009 this season, our offense is going to look a lot like last years. Painful.

Whats funny about the Holmes Edwards comparison is that they are cancers in different ways. Holmes is a cancer in the locker room and Edwards is a cancer in society no matter which way you slice it its bad for the team. I like the drafting of Hill and I hope he will be the guy to step up and take the number one spot in this WR corp problem is if he becomes the main target in this offense and develops nicely the next few years how will Holmes react to that ? Hopefully in a positive way.

When it comes to Holmes he is not a number 1 WR in this league he needs a good complement on the other side because hes not big enough or physical enough to take on number 1 duties of a WR . I think in some respects Edwards and Holmes complemented each other nicely. Edwards being the deep threat opened things up for Holmes..... when he was gone and the Jets signed the Slow Plaxico no one had to worry about him deep and double coverage slid over to Holmes and the guy just could not deal with it.

While its good they also signed Schiliens hes a big question mark due to what seems to be constant injury so we can only hope he stays healthy which once again brings us to numerous question marks in the Jets WR corp.

What I think the Jets should have done as well was sign some type of threat in the backfield something similar to how the Saints signed Darren Sproles a guy who no doubt keeps the defense off balance and opens up the entire offense. Its nice every now and then to dump a pass to a back and watch him turn nothing into 25 yards or take a screen to the house or just be that type of threat. This is something the Jets have not had for years and in a ball control offense like we want to run I think this may very well be the missing link. Can McKnight be that guy ? He has the speed but I think he lacks other attributes that can make an ordinary back a great back.

Whats funny about the Holmes Edwards comparison is that they are cancers in different ways. Holmes is a cancer in the locker room and Edwards is a cancer in society no matter which way you slice it its bad for the team. I like the drafting of Hill and I hope he will be the guy to step up and take the number one spot in this WR corp problem is if he becomes the main target in this offense and develops nicely the next few years how will Holmes react to that ? Hopefully in a positive way.

When it comes to Holmes he is not a number 1 WR in this league he needs a good complement on the other side because hes not big enough or physical enough to take on number 1 duties of a WR . I think in some respects Edwards and Holmes complemented each other nicely. Edwards being the deep threat opened things up for Holmes..... when he was gone and the Jets signed the Slow Plaxico no one had to worry about him deep and double coverage slid over to Holmes and the guy just could not deal with it.

While its good they also signed Schiliens hes a big question mark due to what seems to be constant injury so we can only hope he stays healthy which once again brings us to numerous question marks in the Jets WR corp.

What I think the Jets should have done as well was sign some type of threat in the backfield something similar to how the Saints signed Darren Sproles a guy who no doubt keeps the defense off balance and opens up the entire offense. Its nice every now and then to dump a pass to a back and watch him turn nothing into 25 yards or take a screen to the house or just be that type of threat. This is something the Jets have not had for years and in a ball control offense like we want to run I think this may very well be the missing link. Can McKnight be that guy ? He has the speed but I think he lacks other attributes that can make an ordinary back a great back.

Good post. A few comments

Schilens is a major question mark. Not his skill set, but as you mentioned the guy just can't stay on the field. He was the one guy Lal wanted from the Raiders. He stays on the field, and if Hill adjusts to the NFL quickly (fingers crossed) the Jets will be very scary for D's with he long ball, mixed with the running game.

Depending how he is used the Jets may have gotten their RB/receiver in Tebow

I agree with you on Holmes here, without hating him. Lol!

I see no reason why Hill (or Schilens) can't be that compliment. Once Holmes joined the team, he became Sanchez' primary target over Edwards. Edwards was the downfield threat, and a willing blocker - same M.O. Hill brings here. Teams may not respect that deep threat until the Jets strike there a couple times - which is why they'll need to strike there a couple times early!

Holmes' co-mutineer is gone. This year, he has the choice of being a team player, or being completely isolated. You don't see any players coming to Holmes defense when he throws his helmet in OTAs. Santonio may be a little bitch, but if he wants to make a good living in this league beyond his current contract, he's going to need to grow up a little bit. I think he's just bright enough to figure that out.

I would've liked additional weapons on offense, but the team had limited resources and obviously the Jets are a defense-driven team. So while I would've liked Lamar Miller in the 3rd, they went with Demario Davis. Oh well, what's done is done.

That said, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that Edwards might be good for this team. Hill and/or Schilens can fill the role of deep threat/blocker that Edwards was here. After Holmes joined the team in 2010, Edwards averaged 3.5 catches a game (Holmes averaged 4.3 over the same period). A rookie can come in and do close to that. Kerley should be a bigger factor, and Schilens can either spell Hill or get on the field in 4 WR sets to open the offense up further. The only thing (besides liquor) that Edwards brings to the table that these kids don't is experience - but with that experience is a ton of baggage that no team in the league has any interest in bringing aboard. Ochocinco just got signed, and Edwards is still out there. Ocho sucks.

I agree with you on Holmes here, without hating him. Lol!

I see no reason why Hill (or Schilens) can't be that compliment. Once Holmes joined the team, he became Sanchez' primary target over Edwards. Edwards was the downfield threat, and a willing blocker - same M.O. Hill brings here. Teams may not respect that deep threat until the Jets strike there a couple times - which is why they'll need to strike there a couple times early!

yup. When you look at Hill the guy has beast written all over him physically, lets hope that translates to the NFL game if it does watch out.

Good post. A few comments

Schilens is a major question mark. Not his skill set, but as you mentioned the guy just can't stay on the field. He was the one guy Lal wanted from the Raiders. He stays on the field, and if Hill adjusts to the NFL quickly (fingers crossed) the Jets will be very scary for D's with he long ball, mixed with the running game.

Depending how he is used the Jets may have gotten their RB/receiver in Tebow

i could see the Jets lining up both Schileins and Hill on the wildcat plays for 2 reasons 1. they can both block and 2. They can both go deep.... its going to be hard for defenses to account for that IMO if they send both deep and Tebow runs and gets past the LB's its open field. The Jets offense should certainly improve with all the possibilites in that respect

That said, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that Edwards might be good for this team. Hill and/or Schilens can fill the role of deep threat/blocker that Edwards was here. After Holmes joined the team in 2010, Edwards averaged 3.5 catches a game (Holmes averaged 4.3 over the same period). A rookie can come in and do close to that. Kerley should be a bigger factor, and Schilens can either spell Hill or get on the field in 4 WR sets to open the offense up further. The only thing (besides liquor) that Edwards brings to the table that these kids don't is experience - but with that experience is a ton of baggage that no team in the league has any interest in bringing aboard. Ochocinco just got signed, and Edwards is still out there. Ocho sucks.

Agree with this. I was an Edwards fan while he was here and thought he would have been the smarter choice for the Jets to retain at the time, but I said it right after the draft that with the Schilens signing and Hill pick, the chances of Edwards' return became very slim. At this point, the only way he makes a return is if he's still out there at the end of camp and the Jets see some combination of injury and/or complete failure in camp from those two. I'm sure the team considers him a fine emergency / backup plan given his familiarity with the team and Sanchez, but nothing more.

If thats the case, then why did Holmes nearly double the targets of BE when he arrived to the Jets?

You Holmes haters are ridiculous. The priority was to sign Holmes not BE. I'm sure Sanchez had his say in that. Its amazing what one incident of him screaming at his QB for throwing the season away will do to a players image.

If thats the case, then why did Holmes nearly double the targets of BE when he arrived to the Jets?

You Holmes haters are ridiculous. The priority was to sign Holmes not BE. I'm sure Sanchez had his say in that. Its amazing what one incident of him screaming at his QB for throwing the season away will do to a players image.

Image ? :)

Whats funny about the Holmes Edwards comparison is that they are cancers in different ways. Holmes is a cancer in the locker room and Edwards is a cancer in society no matter which way you slice it its bad for the team.

How is Holmes a cancer in the lockerrom?

And why isnt BE considered that? Didnt he get traded mid-season by a team because of his lockerroom presence?

lol - you people

Singed a WR, drafted a WR, drafted a RB, signed a TE, signed depth on the OL, drafted on the OL, got a new offensive coordinator....yadayada. Are you going to start arguing about weapons now?

Archived