Mayhem Maybin Continues to Beef Up

Ryno the Jet

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/05/aaron-maybin-gains-weight-with-help-from-michael-phelps/

Aaron Maybin gains weight with help from Michael Phelps

Posted by Josh Alper on June 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

610x23.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

Michael Phelps has said that he’s planning to retire from swimming after the Summer Olympics.

That means he’ll need to find another career path to fill his days. You might not expect it, but Phelps might have a future as a trainer for NFL players looking to add weight to their frames.

Jets linebacker Aaron Maybin lives near Phelps in Baltimore and spent some time with the swimmer this offseason to get a look at his famous 12,000 calorie a day eating regimen.

Maybin wasn’t planning on consuming quite that much, but he was interested in adding some weight to his frame before the 2012 season. The idea is to get big enough to stay on the field for three downs after making an impact for the Jets as a situational pass rusher last season.

“Having a little bit of extra weight on you, it helps you deal with the ground and pound of the season and all that kind of stuff,” Maybin said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “It definitely gives you a better anchor when you’re playing against the run. That was a big goal of mine during the offseason, to become a better run defender as well as improve my pass rush.”

Maybin played at 229 pounds last season and hopes to be around 250 pounds this time around. With Bryan Thomas coming off an Achilles injury that cost him most of last season, the Jets could use an every-down outside linebacker but they also need Maybin’s ability to pressure quarterbacks to survive intact. Gaining weight could have an impact on that part of Maybin’s game, making the change in diet less of a sure thing for the linebacker than it is for Phelps.

We’ll find out this summer how well Maybin’s plan works out while Phelps concentrates on adding to his gold medal count in London.

Looks like he is ahead of schedule. He posted this today on twitter:

Aaron Maybin@AaronMaybin51

Been eatin good.... http://instagr.am/p/LvDCWPtsc1/

980d76b6b3c811e1aebc1231381b647a_7.jpg <--------254.4 libs

I think we all agree that if this guy figures out how to become more involved in the defense and improve his run game skills, the Jets D could be scary good. I think Rex and Co. feel like they have found a beast hiding in the bushes, and they are equally excited about his expanded role as they are about the addition of Coples.

Glad to see Maybin wants it and that he is on track. Go Jets!

I know he's said that he thinks he's faster with the added weight. I hope it's true. Usually an added 25 lbs. has the opposite effect.

Yeah, I agree that line definitely sounds sketchy, but there's been a couple of coaches who have been quoted saying the same. I think it was Rex who said he thinks more than anything, it's just a matter of Maybin being more comfortable in the defense and with the playbook, so there's less hesitation in his play. We'll see, but if even if he can move at that same speed with the extra weight and now having a year in the system, that could be huge.

I know he's said that he thinks he's faster with the added weight. I hope it's true. Usually an added 25 lbs. has the opposite effect.

Agree.

I'm really excited about Maybin though. The obvious way to improve his game was to add weight so he could stay on the field for three downs and he went out an did it (without drama). If he keeps his speed, he's gonna be really great.

That's my biggest fear with this kid. I just have a hard time seeing him gaining 25 pounds in 4 months and maintaining the crazy burst he had off the point.

We'll see.

He is in a great situation to become an elite pass rusher with the players he has in front of him pushing the pocket into his outside rush.

I personally would rather see him as a situational pass rusher getting 14-16 sacks, then a JAG run stuffing OLB.

I hope he can do it, but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit I was concerned

He's a professional. I have seen tons of just good athletes pack on legitimate muscle mass and not lose speed. He says he is at 3% body fat, which seems like a stretch.. but if he really did pack on true muscle, and kept working his speed I trust in his assessment.

I think it was Rex who said he thinks more than anything, it's just a matter of Maybin being more comfortable in the defense and with the playbook, so there's less hesitation in his play.

I could see that being very true on first and second down, but not as much in designated pass rusher mode.

But I hope it's true that he's built muscle that has actually improved his burst. He's a guy that it's impossible to root against.

Depends on how/where he packed on the extra weight. If he focused on on his core and lower body as much as his upper body, it certainly bodes well for the explosiveness and speed aspects of his game.

I doubt all 25 lbs were put on above the waste.

Not that it really matters, as the point of the article isn't changed, but I've just grown tired of reporter after reporter just regurgitating the myth that Phelps has a 12,000 calorie diet. When that's one of the first things you read in the article and you know it's not even remotely true, it's pretty difficult to give credence to anything after in the article.

Just off sheer intuition alone you should release a guy south of 200 lbs is probably not consuming that many calories, when your typical lineman is eating around 6000 or so. Despite all that, Phelps came out and said that it was 100% false that he was eating that much. I just don't see how journalists can continually put this sh*t in their articles.

That having been said, it was only a matter of getting Maybin a solid workout and nutritional routine for him to bulk up. Anyone with the proper trainers/nutritionists can totally reshape their body, it's just a matter of putting in the work and staying dedicated. When it's your job, you should have no reason not to. He definitely had the frame to add some weight, lets see if it hinders his play at all and if he can keep it on.

to be clear those before and after shots were from 2009

the trend seems to be that Maybin can bulk up but he cannot retain that bulk. His build is such where its questionable if he will every really be a natural 250 pound player.

Where does it say he gained 25lbs??

It says he would like to play at 250 and played at 229 last year.

FWIW, there have been plenty of really good linebackers past and present who played at 230-240.

He needs to learn how to keep weight on and he should be fine.

Where does it say he gained 25lbs??

It says he would like to play at 250 and played at 229 last year.

FWIW, there have been plenty of really good linebackers past and present who played at 230-240.

He needs to learn how to keep weight on and he should be fine.

The scale in the first picture says 254.4

The scale in the first picture says 254.4

See that now thanks.

Question is can he be weight trained to keep the lbs on as a season progresses?

I think this kid was close to 210 when he was released by the Bills.

If he can stay at 235-240 he should be fine.

See that now thanks.

Question is can he be weight trained to keep the lbs on as a season progresses?

I think this kid was close to 210 when he was released by the Bills.

If he can stay at 235-240 he should be fine.

I agree with the 235-240 area. As a pass rusher at least.

This will be the 3rd time he has been around 250+-. He did it right before the combine, but couldn't maintain it. He did it in Buffalo, but couldn't carry it.

Maybe the 3rd time is the charm, but I think they would be best off leaving him in the 235-240 area. Let him just be a terror as a pass rusher, and let someone else worry about the running game on first down If this 250+ affects his speed, it will be a major missed opportunity for him

That's my biggest fear with this kid. I just have a hard time seeing him gaining 25 pounds in 4 months and maintaining the crazy burst he had off the point.

We'll see.

He is in a great situation to become an elite pass rusher with the players he has in front of him pushing the pocket into his outside rush.

I personally would rather see him as a situational pass rusher getting 14-16 sacks, then a JAG run stuffing OLB.

I hope he can do it, but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit I was concerned

The fact that he was able to add that weight while keeping his body fat down is pretty impressive IMO.

The fact that he was able to add that weight while keeping his body fat down is pretty impressive IMO.

I've also read that, your correct.

he gained 25 pounds in 4 months. That's big. We'll see how he performs.

I'm a major advocate of Maybin becoming a big time contributor this season. The extra 25 pounds worries me

I've also read that, your correct.

he gained 25 pounds in 4 months. That's big. We'll see how he performs.

I'm a major advocate of Maybin becoming a big time contributor this season. The extra 25 pounds worries me

He must have been working out like crazy to do that in 4 months.

It worries me too though. I've never seen someone add weight and be just as fast as before. I wanna see Maybin flourish here, and get as many sacks as you said earlier.

While we'll have to wait and see on the speed, I think there is potentially reason to be optimistic about Maybin finally being able to keep on some of that weight, which we know has been an issue in the past. I think you have to give the Jets credit, one area they've been really successful in recent years is with their strength & conditioning. The easiest example to look at is Brick, who had major weight issues to start his career, and if you look at the difference with him in his two years in the league that he wasn't working with the Jets in the offseason (his rookie year and last year) vs the rest of his career, it's like night and day. Hopefully this offseason with the Jets will yield similar results, and Maybin will have put the weight on the right way and keep it on. If that's the case and he hasn't lost a step in the process, there's a whole lot of potential there

Archived