James Walker: Notes From Jets Minicamp

flgreen

Notes from Jets minicamp

June, 12, 2012

Jun 12

3:07

PM ET

By James Walker | ESPN.com<p>FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets held their first mandatory minicamp practice at the team's training facility Tuesday. The AFC East blog was there to take in all the action.

nyj.gifHere are some news and notes:

• It was a hot-and-cold day for the quarterbacks. I thought starter Mark Sanchez had the most consistent day. Sanchez threw some beautiful passes in team drills. He completed three touchdown throws to tight end Dustin Keller and receivers Royce Pollard and Chaz Schilens. The catch by Schilens was particularly impressive, because he made a leaping catch over Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, which doesn’t happen often. Tim Tebow had an up-and-down day but made a couple of nice throws, as well.

• Revis briefly spoke about his contract but didn’t want to make a big issue of it. "The situation will take care of itself," Revis said. The cornerback still said he can't answer whether he will be on time for training camp but pointed out that he’s been in workouts every day so far.

• The injury list was lengthy, but there weren’t many serious ailments to report. Among the key players who did not practice were receiver Santonio Holmes (hamstring), safety LaRon Landry (Achilles) and rookie second-round pick Stephen Hill (hamstring). Hill said he wasn’t sure if he would be able to participate in minicamp this week.

• Holmes suffered his hamstring injury last week, when he made headlines by pulling himself out of practice. He was criticized for it, but the injury was legit. Jets head coach Rex Ryan said veteran players know when something doesn't feel right. Holmes was inactive for a while after a trip to Germany to visit troops.

• Finally, New York rookie first-round pick Quinton Coples stood out on a few plays. He nearly picked off Sanchez near the line of scrimmage on one play but dropped the ball. He did pushups after the drop. Coples also zipped around the corner for a would-be sack of Sanchez in team drills.

Darrelle Revis says sit down with Jets GM, owner has to happen 'sooner or later'

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 3:27 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 3:28 PM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

darrell-revis-holdoutjpg-ea5c15bc82acb6bb.jpgStar-Ledger file photoDarrelle Revis said there hasn't been any movement on a new deal.

Sitting out of mini camp was never an option for Darrelle Revis, even though he said again today that he couldn't confirm his attendance at training camp next month in Cortland.

With his third potential holdout looming, he said he's learned from past situations. He believes a sit down with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, owner Woody Johnson and coach Rex Ryan is inevitable.

"I have grown, I've been in a lot of situations, you guys gotta remember even my rookie year, my rookie contract I didn't get in until late," he said. "The second one, it was the same type of scenario but we'll see. When me, Mike, Rex and Mr. Johnson sit down at that point we'll discuss it and see what the future is for me. I think that's the best way I can sum it up."

When asked if a sit down was confirmed with Ryan, Johnson and Tannenbaum, Revis said: "Sooner or later it has to, I got two more years left so we'll see and we'll go from there. Whatever is best for me and the organization we'll get through it."

Revis said that there's been no update on talks regarding a new deal.

"I haven't talked to my agents so I can't really speak on that right now," he said.

In the meantime, Revis plans to wait for the right time to enter discussions with Tannenbaum and Johnson. He said he's not concerned about what a third holdout would do to his public perception.

"No, this is my situation and my career and that's how you have to look at it," he said. "It's not like I don't love the New York Jets fans...sooner or later we have to talk about it, that's just how the fans can look at it."

Matt Slauson said that the offensive players voted on their top lifters this offseason and, despite recovering from shoulder surgery, he managed to finish fourth.

However, he joked, he did not beat out Tim Tebow. According to Slauson, the standings shook out like this:

1. Dustin Keller

2. Tim Tebow

3. Vlad Ducasse

4. Matt Slauson

Slauson was turned loose today and was able to be more involved in offseason practice than ever before. He said his shoulder wasn't a hinderance at all.

"I didn't have one little twinge, one little nothing," he said. "I felt great...I was actually hoping to be at this point a little quicker but they keep saying hey, we need you for August, not for now. But I'm just happy I got the nod now and I'm able to do at least half the reps."

• Holmes suffered his hamstring injury last week, when he made headlines by pulling himself out of practice. He was criticized for it, but the injury was legit. Jets head coach Rex Ryan said veteran players know when something doesn't feel right. Holmes was inactive for a while after a trip to Germany to visit troops.

I was told by a poster this wasnt true. I believe that poster because he has real football practice experience.

I was told by a poster this wasnt true. I believe that poster because he has real football practice experience.

hey I was going by what Rex and Tone were reported as saying and I know you read that as well . if the guy got hurt in that practice on that play then sorry to hear it but it does not make him less of a dick.

hey I was going by what Rex and Tone were reported as saying and I know you read that as well . if the guy got hurt in that practice on that play then sorry to hear it but it does not make him less of a dick.

<3 you bro, you're my boo.

I doubt it is true myself, but didn't you just admit you were wrong in another thread?

Truth. Smash won by a land slide.

<p>

AFC East Q&A: Jets safety Yeremiah Bell

June, 12, 2012

Jun 12

4:00

PM ET

By James Walker | ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – The New York Jets began their mandatory minicamp Tuesday. Afterwards, the AFC East blog caught up with new Jets safety Yeremiah Bell to get his thoughts on leaving the Miami Dolphins, joining their rival and a few other topics.

Yeremiah, I'm still not used to seeing you in these Gang Green colors. How is the transition going?

Bell: (Laughs) It's been good. It's been a really easy transition. All the guys welcomed me with open arms. Everybody has been helping me with the defense. Even though I've only been here a couple of weeks, part of the first week I was here it felt like home. You get the football spirit around here. Guys love to play, and it's easy to come here and get settled.

Did you know many of the guys here with the Jets before you signed?

Bell: I knew the guys playing against them, but not really on a personal level. It was more on an on-field level. But that's what's so funny, because when I was there it was back-and-forth [tension]. But as soon as you walk in here and you're on the other side, everything is all good. That was a blessing to come into, because I know that's not easy.

I don't recall you doing many interviews in Miami since you left. Can you give us your perspective of what happened with your release?

Bell: From my perspective, I think it was strictly a business decision on their end. It's part of the game. I kind of felt it going into the last year of my contract. That's something that happens in this league. So I just basically saw it as a business decision and left it at that.

Why did the Dolphins wait so late to make the decision?

Bell: Now, that part I couldn't tell you. I don't have anything negative to say about the organization, but that part made me a little mad. Because if they were going to release me, they could have done it before the free-agency period started. I don't have anything negative to say but I think they could've handled that a little better than they did.

Tony Sparano and Rex Ryan are different guys on the surface. How do you see them getting along?

Bell: They fit well to me. Both of them love football, and Tony is a fiery guy. Rex is a coach who loves it, and Tony is all about football. And it's two great minds. I think anytime you get two great minds together coaching on the same team, special things could happen. I think those guys mix real well.

What are your thoughts on pairing with safety LaRon Landry?

Bell: We can be as good as we want to be. We can be a good duo back there. We just got to learn the defense in and out and keep leaning on Smitty [safety Eric Smith] to help us both out and adjusting to the system. We can be a great tandem out there, along with Smitty. Smitty is in that mix, too. The three of us back there can be dangerous. We can do a lot of different things.

Finally, what's your take on your former Dolphins team doing HBO's "Hard Knocks" this summer?

Bell: It's good for them. I mean, maybe they need it. It's a lot of good guys down there. So I'm sure they will do a great job. It will be pretty entertaining.

Wow, 85 pages in one thread, only to "see the light" in a thread that just started.

JN iz da bestes!

Archived