Darrelle Revis says sit down with Jets GM, owner has to happen 'sooner or later'

Ryno the Jet

Darrelle Revis says sit down with Jets GM, owner has to happen 'sooner or later'

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 3:27 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

darrell-revis-holdoutjpg-ea5c15bc82acb6bb.jpg

Star-Ledger file photoDarrelle Revis said there hasn't been any movement on a new deal.

Sitting out of mini camp was never an option for Darrelle Revis, even though he said again today that he couldn't confirm his attendance at training camp next month in Cortland.

With his third potential holdout looming, he said he's learned from past situations. He believes a sit down with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, owner Woody Johnson and coach Rex Ryan is inevitable.

"I have grown, I've been in a lot of situations, you guys gotta remember even my rookie year, my rookie contract I didn't get in until late," he said. "The second one, it was the same type of scenario but we'll see. When me, Mike, Rex and Mr. Johnson sit down at that point we'll discuss it and see what the future is for me. I think that's the best way I can sum it up."

When asked if a sit down was confirmed with Ryan, Johnson and Tannenbaum, Revis said: "Sooner or later it has to, I got two more years left so we'll see and we'll go from there. Whatever is best for me and the organization we'll get through it."

Revis said that there's been no update on talks regarding a new deal.

"I haven't talked to my agents so I can't really speak on that right now," he said.

In the meantime, Revis plans to wait for the right time to enter discussions with Tannenbaum and Johnson. He said he's not concerned about what a third holdout would do to his public perception.

"No, this is my situation and my career and that's how you have to look at it," he said. "It's not like I don't love the New York Jets fans...sooner or later we have to talk about it, that's just how the fans can look at it."

Matt Slauson said that the offensive players voted on their top lifters this offseason and, despite recovering from shoulder surgery, he managed to finish fourth.

However, he joked, he did not beat out Tim Tebow. According to Slauson, the standings shook out like this:

1. Dustin Keller

2. Tim Tebow

3. Vlad Ducasse

4. Matt Slauson

Slauson was turned loose today and was able to be more involved in offseason practice than ever before. He said his shoulder wasn't a hinderance at all.

"I didn't have one little twinge, one little nothing," he said. "I felt great...I was actually hoping to be at this point a little quicker but they keep saying hey, we need you for August, not for now. But I'm just happy I got the nod now and I'm able to do at least half the reps."

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Sit down and discuss how your not going to play 16 football GAMES for over 12 million dollars this year? Buh bye MEvis. The OWNER has the power, he OWNS the team therefore he HIRED you for 4 years at an agreed upon rate that you signed, now honor the contract you signed you selfish premadonna!!!

the Jets will either pay him now or pay him later. the price is probably lower now.

No team treats everyone the same. If they want the best CB in the NFL lock him up longterm and be done with it.If not, explore thre possibilities. I'd rather they keep him.

But if not, let's get it over with instead of the August drama and diner bullsheet. Not having either Revis or players equal to his value on opening day is a recipe for disaster.This team is not very good on offense, and it's defense despite improvement on the DL and at safety will need to bail the offense out -again. It's stupid; either they want him and they will pay him(and they do and should) or get him out of here and fill some holes.

No team treats everyone the same. If they want the best CB in the NFL lock him up longterm and be done with it.If not, explore thre possibilities. I'd rather they keep him.

But if not, let's get it over with instead of the August drama and diner bullsheet. Not having either Revis or players equal to his value on opening day is a recipe for disaster.This team is not very good on offense, and it's defense despite improvement on the DL and at safety will need to bail the offense out -again. It's stupid; either they want him and they will pay him(and they do and should) or get him out of here and fill some holes.

But if this gets resolved quickly and quietly, how will Tannenbaum get to show the world how smart he is?

So... This is news?

Press asks him about it daily. His response is "sooner or later" lol.

In other words, this is about as exciting as if they asked him if he pooped today. "Not yet, but it'll happen sooner or later."

Hahaha... Media sucks.

This. If they can't redo his deal for cap reasons this year, they should make it clear to him that they have every intention of doing so ASAP. He's the best corner in the league and everyone knows it, so let's just pay him as such and get it over with.

the Jets will either pay him now or pay him later. the price is probably lower now.

I'd wait.. if Sanchez doesn't develop this season, we're likely not winning a SB anytime soon. At that point, you just trade him

POTENTIAL.

Only line of the article that says anything. Conjecture to exploit the fears of the fan base.

For once I agree with you. I believe the writers read these boards and laugh their arses off seeing how many times they can get us to freak out with the same non story. It's crazy how many articles have been written with no real information.

I'd wait.. if Sanchez doesn't develop this season, we're likely not winning a SB anytime soon. At that point, you just trade him

the team doesn't get closer to a super bowl by trading their best player

there are no free agents that add up to what Revis brings.

he's basically the best defender in the league. If you get lucky enough to find a franchise player, keep him happy. It's that simple.

Enjoy your time Revis. You're an ACL tear away from being just another player making league minimum. You'll be out of football with no real life skills to fall back on and you'll have pissed all of your money away.

a$$hole.

haterade

he's basically the best defender in the league. If you get lucky enough to find a franchise player, keep him happy. It's that simple.

Need a QB, if Sanchez is going to be a career bottom half of the league guy who keeps his job cause he's got a top 1-3 defense covering him, we ain't winning sh*t..

Stick sanchez on the browns or rams or any of the other truly hapless teams out there and he's on the bench by now

haterade

Hahahaha

I just took what amounted to a 15% wage reduction at work. I'm a bit bitter and have zero sympathy.

I agree with your argument that he's gotta get paid at some point and later will cost more, but damn the man has to have some degree of honor. Perhaps they need to work performance based accelerators and/or decelerators into the next one. I don't know.

That's why I have a History degree and I'm not a G.M.

Enjoy your time Revis. You're an ACL tear away from being just another player making league minimum. You'll be out of football with no real life skills to fall back on and you'll have pissed all of your money away.

a$$hole.

Making the case for Revis to hold out while he's on top of his game. I like it!

For once I agree with you. I believe the writers read these boards and laugh their arses off seeing how many times they can get us to freak out with the same non story. It's crazy how many articles have been written with no real information.

You realize most of the time I talk football, I'm advocating that fans don't over-react to garbage sports media right?

So... This is news?

Press asks him about it daily. His response is "sooner or later" lol.

In other words, this is about as exciting as if they asked him if he pooped today. "Not yet, but it'll happen sooner or later."

Hahaha... Media sucks.

Some fans suck too. The ones who jump to conclusions, believe everything they read, and even bring up that he gave up a ******* catch in a minicamp. A minicamp. I swear, the people around here really suck lately. Not meant at you Optimus. The guy can't even give up a pass on what sounded like an awesome catch without people overreacting to that as well.

You realize most of the time I talk football, I'm advocating that fans don't over-react to garbage sports media right?

Yes I do. I just usually don't find the umph to reply when I agree with you lol

Where I disagree is that I tend to look at every situation individually. Most of the time the media is drumming up the troops. Other times there are reasons to bitch. Complaining is part of being a fan. I do it far less than I used to in years past, but sometimes ya just gotta bitch and moan.

Like that friggin Sparano article. Boy does that get my panties all bunched up. :D

you know, at this point, I'm beginning to think Darrelle Revis just likes f*cking with people.

he thinks of himself extremely highly and Revis should be the highest paid Jet, all the time. Without him, that defense drops like 10 spots. they go from top 5/elite to top 15/average. that's how important he is to Rex's scheme. I don't think it's crazy that he asks for long term security and I don't see how the Jets can afford to lose him . the franchise loses games (and value) without him.

he thinks of himself extremely highly and Revis should be the highest paid Jet, all the time. Without him, that defense drops like 10 spots. they go from top 5/elite to top 15/average. that's how important he is to Rex's scheme. I don't think it's crazy that he asks for long term security and I don't see how the Jets can afford to lose him . the franchise loses games (and value) without him.

the thing with Revis is he wants to be the highest paid CB every single season until he retires.. and the second he isnt, he'll ask for a new contract or hold out.

Has that precedent ever been set in any sport? the Arod contract is looked at as a disaster...and even the Pujuols one is too. Different sport, same idea.

We can turn around and give Revis a 10 year deal...but that deal is only as good as the salary he sees every year.

Revis is absolutely great at what he does, but this is such a load of crap. Rex has had top notch defenses throughout his entire career, the vast majority of them without Revis. Even with the Jets, the first half of 2010 Revis played like crap between being an out of shape fat a$$ and then getting hurt and missing games because of being an out of shape fat a$$, so the defense couldn't be / was not at all reliant on him, and yet they did just fine. Is the defense better with him than without him? Of course, but the same holds true for pretty much every starter on every team throughout the league, that's why that player is the starter. Granted he'd be a bit harder to replace than most, but this defense doesn't live and die by him and him alone. After all, the Jets have managed to just do fine against the Bills in recent years in spite of the fact that Revis can't cover Stevie Johnson for sh*t.

He received long-term security. He is financially secure long-term. $32M for the past 2 seasons doesn't count?

ok yeah and in 2 years get another holdout, if he wont play ship his a$$ away no one player has won the SB by himself

“Let’s be real. It was quoted. It was quoted that it was a Band-Aid (contract),” Revis said. “It was quoted. Like I said, I learned a lot from these first two (contract negotiations). The third one, when it happens, when talks happen, we’ll hash it out.”

Revis, who is to earn a $4.5 million base salary (plus bonuses) in 2012, is just two years removed from a 35-day contract holdout. Training camp opens July 26 in Cortland, N.Y.

“Like I said before, something has to happen. Talks have to happen,” he said. “And then you go from there.”

Read more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-darrelle-revis-aims-pick-deal-article-1.1095372#ixzz1xlyh271B

Granted he'd be a bit harder to replace than most,

this is the understatement of the year. He's not replaceable. They cannot replace Revis. There are no other players in the league that can shut down Megatron on an island. There are no other players who can take away the other team's #1 WR.

We talk about money, why should he play for half of what he's worth this year? Because he played for what he was worth last year? The guy should be getting franchise tag money every year. He is the franchise.

you all think it's about money it's also about respect. Why should anyone on the Jets make more than Revis?

Archived