Cimini: Landry (Remember Him?)

flgreen

Landry (remember him?) shows up

June, 12, 2012

Jun 12

4:06

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

LaRon Landry, who skipped all the voluntary practices, showed up Tuesday for the Jets' three-day minicamp, but the safety didn't participate in practice because of an Achilles-tendon injury from last season.

Because it's a mandatory minicamp, Landry would've been subject to a fine if he didn't show. He didn't speak to reporters after practice. His teammates were "giving him the business a little bit," according to Rex Ryan.

Ryan seemed hesitant when asked about Landry's physical condition, possibly because the team simply doesn't have a lot of information. The former No. 1 pick of the Redskins, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract in free agency, has decided to rehab on his own.

Ryan said they never expected Landry to be ready for minicamp, so in that sense, he isn't behind schedule. Beyond that, Ryan couldn't give many details. He said they hope Landry is ready for training camp in late July, but he couldn't say for sure.

Ryan supported Landry's decision to work out away from the facility, which could cost him a $100,000 workout bonus.

"To his credit, he's doing what he thinks will give him the best opportunity to be successful in the fall," Ryan said. "I know his heart is in the right place. I know he wants to be healthy. He knows it's a critical year for him, a critical year for us and we need him out there."

Because he skipped almost the entire offseason (he showed up for a couple of early workouts in April), Landry has missed a significant amount of classroom time. As a result, he's far behind, trying to learn a new defensive system. The Jets are counting on Landry to start with Yeremiah Bell, but it's also possible they will employ a three-safety rotation with Landry, Bell and Eric Smith.

"It's good to have him here," Bell said of Landry. "We feel now, on the back end, that we're complete. Me, him and Smitty, we all see we're going to fit into this defense somehow. We all want to be in the game at the same time, and I'm sure in some packages (we will be)."

Every player under contract reported to the minicamp.

so the Jets paid this guy 4 million bucks why is he not in the Jets facility dealing with the Jets trainers and Doctors ? How could the team not know whats going on with him and why are they relying on a player to workout his own rehab schedule ? None of this makes any sense to me. Im sure there are some dumb a$$ NFL restrictions to deal with but come on how could the HC not be able to answer questions pertaining to this guys status

QB scorecard: Another lackluster day

June, 12, 2012

Jun 12

5:39

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com<p>FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow received effusive praise from their coaches, but both quarterbacks were uneven Tuesday on the field as the Jets opened a three-day minicamp.

Mark Sanchez

#6 QB

New York Jets

2011 STATS

• Att543
  • Comp308
  • Yds3474
  • TD26
  • Int18
  • Rat78.2

Working with a patchwork receiving corps, Sanchez and Tebow struggled to find open receivers, sometimes resulting in "sacks" and hurried throws. It wasn't pretty, but, remember, they're learning a new offense. The good news: no turnovers.

The unofficial stats from the non-contact practice:

TEAM DRILLS

Sanchez: 2-for-9, three sacks, two near-interceptions. He was almost picked off by CB Darrelle Revis and rookie DE Quinton Coples, who let a pass bounce off his hands. It was a poor throw, shades of the season finale in Miami, where Sanchez was picked off twice by DL Randy Starks on check downs.

Tebow: 5-for-9, one sack, one TD pass. Tebow, working exclusively with the second-team offense, made a nice completion to WR Jeremy Kerley on a deep cross. His TD was an easy toss to a wide-open TE Dustin Keller.

SEVEN-ON-SEVEN DRILLS

Sanchez: 6-for-11, three TDs. His best throw came in the red zone, when he rifled a pass to Keller in the back of the end zone. Later, OC Tony Sparano called it a picture-perfect play -- right read, excellent throw.

Tebow: 1-for-4. Tebow missed a wide-open Kerley on a seam route that would've resulted in a touchdown. He underthrew Kerley and it was nearly picked off.

TWO-MINUTE DRILL

Sanchez: He took over at the opponents' 25 with 45 seconds on the clock, trailing by four points. A first-down sack pushed him back, but he hit Keller for 26 yards on a well-thrown post. With four seconds left, ball on the 5, Sanchez hit Kerley on a short pass ... and he was stopped by Revis at the 1. If this happened in a real game, they never would've heard the end of it.

Tebow: Placed in the same situation as Sanchez, Tebow did worse, taking a sack from the 18 as time expired.

Afterward, Sparano praised Sanchez's overall performance in the offseason, noting his ability to make all throws. Sparano said Tebow is showing daily improvement with his throwing mechanics, always an issue for him.

"Every day I see a ball come off his hand that's better than it was yesterday or the last time we practiced," Sparano said.

Players vote Tebow No. 2 weightlifter

June, 12, 2012

Jun 12

4:55

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan gushed last week about Tim Tebow's exploits in the weight room. Tebow's teammates also think he's pretty impressive.

The players voted for the top weightlifter of the offseason, and Tebow finished second on the offense. The top four, in order: TE Dustin Keller, Tebow, OL Vladimir Ducasse and G Matt Slauson. Not a bad showing for Slauson, considering he's coming off major shoulder surgery.

QB Mark Sanchez didn't make the top four, but he received praise from offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

"His lower-body strength is completely different than it was before," said Sparano, noting that quarterbacks generate power and torque from lower-body strength. "Right now, I've seen him make just about every throw that I wanted to see him make."

We know this much about the Jets' quarterbacks: They're strong.

for some reason when I read about that lower body thing for Sanchez, I pictured this really butch dwarf. yeah. ...I don't know what that means.

I'm glad everyone seems so positive, but I'm afraid of how much of it is BS.

Tebow: Placed in the same situation as Sanchez, Tebow did worse, taking a sack from the 18 as time expired.

Afterward, Sparano praised Sanchez's overall performance in the offseason, noting his ability to make all throws. Sparano said Tebow is showing daily improvement with his throwing mechanics, always an issue for him.

"Every day I see a ball come off his hand that's better than it was yesterday or the last time we practiced," Sparano said.

Tim Tebow is a mistake.

The players voted for the top weightlifter of the offseason, and Tebow finished second on the offense. The top four, in order: TE Dustin Keller, Tebow, OL Vladimir Ducasse and G Matt Slauson. Not a bad showing for Slauson, considering he's coming off major shoulder surgery.

Freaking Vlad. Can't win King Ugly, can't win the RT job, and can't win the weightlifting contest. CUT HIM

Archived