Cubs sign 20 year old mysterious, rarely seen potential superstar from Cuba

SenorGato

Jorge Soler got a 9 year 30 million dollar deal. He's the most hush hush talent I've ever heardof in the baseball world, and my theory is that he's been developed in a government lab from the DNA of superstars of the recent past and present. Specifically I am guessing a little bit of Barry Bonds, a little bit of Vlad Guerrero, and a little bit of Justin Upton, whom they've allowed comparisons to so far.

I imagine the day he enters the minors will look alot like this:

but in baseball form.

If he works out and is up within 2-3 years, his contract will be the biggest bargain in baseball (like Longoria for the Rays). If he doesn't, that sucks but the Cubs will just Kei Igawa him into the abyss somewhere. There's a chance he might bust because he's from the early stages of the technology being used to create him, but otherwise expect a sensation.

Hey man, the Cubs have money too. Plus, Soler is the last major IFA before the new rules kick in on July 2nd. Yanks lost fair and square.

The new CBA did kill what Ricketts, Epstein, and Hoyer wanted to do with the draft. That would be load up on upside guys and HS talent who the poor teams wouldn't/couldn't pay.

Soler can opt-out once he's arbitration eligible, so if he winds up being a Super-Two and sees immediate success, the Cubs will effectively have paid him handsomely to play a few years of minor league baseball.

Granted, there are worse problems to have than a prospect realizing success immediately and they needed to bid high to secure him, but he won't be a bargain like the guys who had their arbitration years bought out by signing long-term deals early on (ie. Longoria, Matt Moore).

Not only is that a rumor (deal hasn't been announced by the Cubs yet), but he'd only be getting arb money, not FA money, anyway. He'd still be under the Cubs' control. Plus, yeah the whole immediate success that would create that opportunity for him.

Sucks if it's true because I'd love a bargain like Longoria and Moore. The good thing is that the Cubs can afford for him not to be a bargain if he's any good.

good, we have too many potential superstars on our roster.

you guys take some.

Cubs are going to be a machine within 5 years. I'm just having fun watching it take shape. Our SS is the next your SS, which sounds like nonsense from me because I've watched way more Yankees in my life than Cubs.

Cubs are going to be a machine within 5 years. I'm just having fun watching it take shape. Our SS is the next your SS, which sounds like nonsense from me because I've watched way more Yankees in my life than Cubs.

the next Jeter?

never

Oh it's been happening as we live. Castro's the muhfckin man.

I was at the game in decent boxes last Sunday against the Sawx. A friend's son, who is just starting minor Little League, was sitting next to me and when Castro came up I told him "watch this guy at the plate ... when you're in college they'll be talking about him as a first ballot HOF'r .... when you're married with your own kids - he'll be in."

Can't wait to see how Rizzo does when he comes up.

I was at the game in decent boxes last Sunday against the Sawx. A friend's son, who is just starting minor Little League, was sitting next to me and when Castro came up I told him "watch this guy at the plate ... when you're in college they'll be talking about him as a first ballot HOF'r .... when you're married with your own kids - he'll be in."

Can't wait to see how Rizzo does when he comes up.

The sad thing is Cubs fans are clueless as to how good he is. There's obviously a few who do, but the vast majority get so hung up on his walks like it's still 2002.

Get this...a real trade made up by a Cubs fan....Castro + Brett Jackson + Matt Szczur for Manny Machado and Dyland Bundy. I read this weeks ago and haven't stopped laughing. They don't get it. It's what happens when you haven't gotten laid in 100 years.

The sad thing is Cubs fans are clueless as to how good he is. There's obviously a few who do, but the vast majority get so hung up on his walks like it's still 2002.

Get this...a real trade made up by a Cubs fan....Castro + Brett Jackson + Matt Szczur for Manny Machado and Dyland Bundy. I read this weeks ago and haven't stopped laughing. They don't get it. It's what happens when you haven't gotten laid in 100 years.

Gotta agree Cat - there are a ton of Cub fans who are very unclear of the concept. It must come from the fantasy that went on for so many decades that next year ... was here. There are zero boards worth posting on either - so many of the members redefine homer it's gag reflex to even sort through the sh!t. I got tossed off probably the best one a couple years back by calling for the public sodomization of Kevin Gregg after he gave up 12 dingers in 56 innings as the closer and blew countless saves. The guy who owned the board just wanted to beam about his 23 garbage time saves. It's wonderful going to games again, they're not selling out and you can get a good seat at near face. Those who came for the city's largest social gathering are now getting loaded elsewhere and you can watch the game with other baseball fans. But the best really is yet to come. Finally.

Which board? NSBB isn't bad but there's a hive mentality there and pretty much the only people allowed to post there without being hounded have 40,000 posts and have been there for 5 years or more. BCB is an utter disaster and the guy who runs it (Yellon ) might be one of the worst baseball writers on the internet.

I should head out to Chicago for a weekend now that you mention it.

NSBB - the guy who runs it is the UberHomer. If you come out let me know - I've got a very good scalper I've dealt with since the 84 play-offs and can save a lot of money off stub hub pricing.

how is A-gon doing this year?

Playing like crap, but that is not the point.

If the Yankees had "too many" potential stars on their roster they would not be using all the re-treads they are using. And...if they had them in the farm system, again, they would not be using re-treads.

NSBB - the guy who runs it is the UberHomer. If you come out let me know - I've got a very good scalper I've dealt with since the 84 play-offs and can save a lot of money off stub hub pricing.

I can vouch for NJ and his scalper. He hooked me up a few years ago when I was doing a ballpark road trip starting in Chicago. Great seats and a damn good price.

There are zero boards worth posting on either - so many of the members redefine homer it's gag reflex to even sort through the sh!t.

Can you blame them? While they might look objective compared to Hawk Harrelson, 15 years of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo's homerrific announcing could have that effect on people.

Can you blame them? While they might look objective compared to Hawk Harrelson, 15 years of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo's homerrific announcing could have that effect on people.

I hear you man - Ronnie was my hero from day 1 and I wear # 10 on every jersey I've been on a field with in his honor.

That said, it was embarrassing to listen to him even when he had some of his marbles. Hawk Harrelson is is a loud mouthed foreskin that's intolerable to listen to. Saving grace is Bob Brenly who provides pretty good commentary and to a lesser degree Steve Stone does the same for the Sox.

Archived