NFL Will Make Its All-22 Film Available To Everyone Next Year

Ryno the Jet

The NFL Will Make Its All-22 Film Available To Everyone Next Year, And Football Writing Will Never Be The Same Again

By Jack DickeyJun 15, 2012 3:05 PM

http://deadspin.com/5918786/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Rejoice, football dorks! The NFL evidently rolled out its Game Rewind 2012 today and announced that there'll be real full-game-length All-22 film in there. This is big.

For the vast majority of football fans, those who enjoy the games just fine with Cleatus the Hoppin' Fox Robot and Phil Simms's Appalachian intonation on short-I sounds, this won't make a difference. The public availability of All-22 film won't change the way broadcasters work, either, because many TV analysts have access to the private film. (Cris Collinsworth frequently—and endearingly—talks about all the film he's broken down.)

But here's what will change: We'll soon see a lot of hobbyists learning much more about how the game works and bringing that new knowledge to a broad audience, kind of like what Sebastian Pruiti and his kind did for NBA basketball.

Football journalists (except those at the stadium) always had to watch the games like everyone else does, relying on television camera angles that do little to show line play and coverage in the secondary. If you wanted to dig deeper, you had to play Madden. Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus did what they could, but the numbers—gleaned from watching taped TV presentations of the games—weren't as precise as they could be.

Now, we'll know for sure which defensive back got beat on a given play, and we'll know for sure which lineman on the left side gave up the pressure. We'll have a much better sense of the coverages and blocking schemes teams run, because writers will distill all of this for us and publish it. (You won't have to watch the game tape, and lucky you, because it's captured in 4:3—not HD-friendly—and without sound.)

And, make no mistake, the NFL directly resisted that enlightenment. As Reed Albergotti wrote in the Wall Street Journal last year:

Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.

Bye-bye, gnosticism, hello, chaos. It'll be a rough few years for the NFL's worst coaches. But, maybe a decade or two from now, we'll see the NFL's coaching ranks full of kids who grew up dissecting All 22. It worked pretty well for this one.

Can someone explain to me what this actually means?

All 22 is essentially the coaches film of a play. Its the overshot camera that will give you the view of all 22 players on the field. You should have the ability to zoom in and out to get better looks at plays and players as well. I think its been available internationally for a few years now. Basically if you are someone looking to track stats and data on plays and players its a dream come true. If you are a coach at any level or want to get into scouting its great. For most of us its something we probably end up spending 60 bucks on, rarely using it, and then not renewing.

The NFL in the past has been against this because they dont want certain players getting ripped. For example you can easily see with this footage when WRs quit on a play, when a QB misses a player, a safety heads in the wrong direction, when someone falls down in a route, uninterested players, etc...The TV footgae is only going to show you the visible play. This footage lets you see what maybe led to that result.

You can see DBs, WRs, TEs, and LBs better, if you want to.

All 22 is essentially the coaches film of a play. Its the overshot camera that will give you the view of all 22 players on the field. You should have the ability to zoom in and out to get better looks at plays and players as well. I think its been available internationally for a few years now. Basically if you are someone looking to track stats and data on plays and players its a dream come true. If you are a coach at any level or want to get into scouting its great. For most of us its something we probably end up spending 60 bucks on, rarely using it, and then not renewing.

The NFL in the past has been against this because they dont want certain players getting ripped. For example you can easily see with this footage when WRs quit on a play, when a QB misses a player, a safety heads in the wrong direction, when someone falls down in a route, uninterested players, etc...The TV footgae is only going to show you the visible play. This footage lets you see what maybe led to that result.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping it meant. This is not going to be good for Cromartie. Seeing him avoiding tackles and all.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping it meant. This is not going to be good for Cromartie. Seeing him avoiding tackles and all.

Pfft, more like this isn't gonna be good for the wide outs that Cromartie shuts down without ever actually ever tackling them.

It won't be bad ... he does miss a few ... but the guy he's most afraid to hit is with us now.

Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.

"Heaven forfend the peasants lay their grimy hands on proprietary film, lest they form opinions of their own!"

/monocle falls into tea

"Heaven forfend the peasants lay their grimy hands on proprietary film, lest they form opinions of their own!"

/monocle falls into tea

The humans may also derive that Zion has been created and destroyed six times before, and will, again, a seventh.

architect1.jpg

this is a great explanation and let me just add a couple points

1) wish the NCAA would do this... would bring the draft websites to the next level.

2) it's not just gonna be bad for bad players it's gonna be good for good players who are being bashed unfairly, for example the stats of how many times Santonio Holmes was open and not targeted in 2011, and could compare that to other WR

3) Max if the all-22 camera was in the old Giants Stadium it would be right around the big speaker behind the end-zone. It's high and directly behind the action. Not a bad way to watch the game, btw. You can see alot more real football from the cheap seats in any stadium. I've sat in up front seats and yes it's great when the receiver catches a touchdown right in 'your' corner of the endzone. but all-22 films is the viewpoint of the pros.

this is a great explanation and let me just add a couple points

1) wish the NCAA would do this... would bring the draft websites to the next level.

2) it's not just gonna be bad for bad players it's gonna be good for good players who are being bashed unfairly, for example the stats of how many times Santonio Holmes was open and not targeted in 2011, and could compare that to other WR

3) Max if the all-22 camera was in the old Giants Stadium it would be right around the big speaker behind the end-zone. It's high and directly behind the action. Not a bad way to watch the game, btw. You can see alot more real football from the cheap seats in any stadium. I've sat in up front seats and yes it's great when the receiver catches a touchdown right in 'your' corner of the endzone. but all-22 films is the viewpoint of the pros.

Awesome, thanks.

Shouldn't bother Cro much. When he misses a tackle it is usually front and center on your TV..

Who it will hurt is a player like Holmes just trotting thru a route because he isn't the #1 receiver on the play

This does seem very cool. Anyone have a clue how much it is going to cost?

Boy, it should make the Monday debates very interesting

I believe its this.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=3&ttp=3

$70....I can do this. I watch football primarily online now anyway so this would be a good thing. I can finally get HD and get the coaches view. Being able to watch every play from a different view will bring a whole new feel to the viewing experience.

Been watching Game Rewind since it was made available..a while back, and the coaches film has always been a part of it.

Not sure what this difference is supposed to be.

My renewal always comes at an odd time, and I have to pay a full subscription just to get the last two months before the

new *release* or whatever this is, so I can watch games on vacation... I can hook up my laptop to most displays

put it on full screen and voila, football 24/7/365.. all the games, any game, with no commercials.

I believe its this.

https://gamerewind.n...ges?ttv=3&ttp=3

$70....I can do this. I watch football primarily online now anyway so this would be a good thing. I can finally get HD and get the coaches view. Being able to watch every play from a different view will bring a whole new feel to the viewing experience.

Thanks Villain

Yeah I'm in for $70. I'm assuming that the reduced price for following just the Jets doesn't include the coaches film.

But yeah $70 is reasonable. Only thing I don't like is it isn't available until after the Sunday-night game

I can't decide how I feel about this. As a writer, I'm glad this will be available to me. As someone who already has to sift through all the crap there is on the internet, adding even more people who think they know what they're talking about to the already overcrowded Jets blogosphere is sort of unappealing.

Thanks Villain

Yeah I'm in for $70. I'm assuming that the reduced price for following just the Jets doesn't include the coaches film.

But yeah $70 is reasonable. Only thing I don't like is it isn't available until after the Sunday-night game

Yeah, I just found out. I thought Rewind meant that right after the game. Its hard to not find out the outcome until the following day. Its still good though, there's a few other teams that I want to follow this year. Cam, Griffin III and Alshon Jeffery.

Yeah, I just found out. I thought Rewind meant that right after the game. Its hard to not find out the outcome until the following day. Its still good though, there's a few other teams that I want to follow this year. Cam, Griffin III and Alshon Jeffery.

I *thought* the Coaches Film was part of the package, but it was only on certain plays last year and since 09 when it started.

I am kind of surprised, I thought just about everyone who was an NFL fan had Game Rewind.

Until I got the NFL package from my sat provider, I lived on GR. In fact, I think I liked it better without NFL LIVE... I could go fishing on Sunday, and watch every game through the rest of the week..

I spend more time on Game Rewind than anything else. You can watch every player, every play, over and over, 10 sec backups, or forward, no commercials..it is really sweet.

They have effectually doubled the price since last year... It was 40 bucks for everything, now its 70 and 40 for just the season without the playoffs.

Archived