flgreen

Notes: No deal for Dustin

June, 17, 2012

Jun 17

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Notes and observations on the Jets and the NFL:

1. DUSTIN THE WIND: Four of the Jets' six first-round picks between 2006 and 2009 have been rewarded with new contracts. The exceptions: Vernon Gholston (no explanation needed) and Dustin Keller. They have no immediate plans to make Keller the fifth. The Jets are taking a wait-and-see approach with the talented tight end, and they're planning to wait until after the season, when Keller's rookie contract expires. Keller isn't making a stink, but he'd like the security of a long-term extension. He deserves it, but with the change in direction on offense, the Jets want to see how he fits into Tony Sparano's system before making that kind of commitment. If Keller has a big year, he'll get a new deal or get slapped with the franchise tag. If not, they'll probably let him walk. And that would be too bad.

2. MONEY NEVER SLEEPS: Several other Jets are entering their final year, namely RB Shonn Greene, RG Brandon Moore, LG Matt Slauson and DT Mike DeVito. They also have a lot of players on one-year contracts -- LB Bryan Thomas, S LaRon Landry, S Yeremiah Bell, LB Aaron Maybin and WR Chaz Schilens. In other words, GM Mike Tannenbaum will be awfully busy next offseason.

3. BEAT THE CLOCK: One of Sparano's points of emphasis is tempo; he wants the offense to play fast, fast, fast. Got me to wonder how his offenses performed in Miami. In fact, the Dolphins had the second slowest offense in the AFC last season, averaging one play every 29.46 seconds. A methodical offense isn't necessarily a bad offense. The Steelers and Texans -- playoff teams -- also ranked among the slowest three offenses. The Jets finished ninth at 28.72 seconds.

4. STUNT MAN: Watching daredevil Nik Wallenda walk a tightrope across Niagara Falls on Friday night, I couldn't help but wonder if that's how Mark Sanchez will feel all season.

5. DEFENSIVE SHIFT: Nice observation by ESPN.com AFC East blogger James Walker, noting the shift toward 4-3 defenses in the division. The Patriots mixed in some 4-3 last season, the Bills and Dolphins are implementing the 4-3 and, as everybody knows by now, the Jets used it a lot in minicamp. The question is, how much will the teams use it against each other? Defenses are playing a lot of nickel and dime packages because of the growth of spread offenses, replacing LBs with DBs. The Jets are the only AFC East team planning to take an old-school approach, emphasizing run over pass. Even the Dolphins, with new coach Joe Philbin and his West Coast offense, figure to throw more often.

6. THAT'S SHOWBIZ: "That's My Boy," an Adam Sandler comedy that includes three scenes with Rex Ryan, is getting universally hammered by critics. The metascore on IMDB.com, which combines 22 film reviews, rates "That's My Boy" a 27 on a scale of 100. In football parlance, that would be akin to getting beat by the Patriots, 45-3. New York Post critic Kyle Smith even rips Ryan, saying he "acts about as well as Tim Tebow throws a football." Ouch.

7. EYE IN THE SKY: The NFL has announced it will release coaches film to fans, as part of its "Game Rewind" package on NFL.com. (Yes, there's a subscription fee.) This is a cool thing for hardcore fans and sports writers who love the Xs-and-Os aspect to the game. Coaches film -- a.k.a. "All-22" -- shows what you don't see on TV, all 22 players on every play. In other words, there's no place for players to hide. Everybody will be watching, all the time.

8. SILVER LINING: If Darrelle Revis decides to stage a training-camp holdout, it might not be the worst thing in the world for the Jets. It would take some of the spotlight away from Sanchez and Tebow. Hey, I'm trying to take the half-full approach here.

9. CRIME DOESN'T PAY: Something tells me Adam (Pacman) Jones isn't going to receive an $11.7 million appearance fee from the NFL to speak at the rookie symposium. That's would it would take to cover the amount he was ordered to pay victims in a 2007 Las Vegas shooting.

10. R & R: Now that most of the minicamps are over, the NFL is about to get very quiet. Good. We could all use a break.

3. BEAT THE CLOCK: One of Sparano's points of emphasis is tempo; he wants the offense to play fast, fast, fast. Got me to wonder how his offenses performed in Miami. In fact, the Dolphins had the second slowest offense in the AFC last season, averaging one play every 29.46 seconds. A methodical offense isn't necessarily a bad offense. The Steelers and Texans -- playoff teams -- also ranked among the slowest three offenses. The Jets finished ninth at 28.72 seconds.

I'm as much of a Sunshiner as anyone in June, but one of the things that really disturb me about the Jets, besides Hunter, is all this talk about Sparano running this new and improved O.

Living in South Florida I've been exposed to Sparano's creative offense quite a bit.

I wasn't impressed. We'll see

I'm as much of a Sunshiner as anyone in June, but one of the things that really disturb me about the Jets, besides Hunter, is all this talk about Sparano running this new and improved O.

Living in South Florida I've been exposed to Sparano's creative offense quite a bit.

Again, this is meaningless. He wants the guys to play fast in practice to make sure they are digesting the play book and understand where they are supposed to be. He doesn't want the guys to just walk through it, he wants them to "feel" where they are supposed to be and be able to make split second decisions. That doesn't mean we'll be running that kind of offense all season long.

As I said in an earlier thread, Sparano was not brought in to set the world on fire with our offense. He was brought in to do the exact opposite. Instill discipline and accountability, sustain drives, establish our running game, and protect the ball.

2. MONEY NEVER SLEEPS: Several other Jets are entering their final year, namely RB Shonn Greene, RG Brandon Moore, LG Matt Slauson and DT Mike DeVito. They also have a lot of players on one-year contracts -- LB Bryan Thomas, S LaRon Landry, S Yeremiah Bell, LB Aaron Maybin and WR Chaz Schilens. In other words, GM Mike Tannenbaum will be awfully busy next offseason.

Unless Laundry has a huge year, the only priorities there are Maybin and Keller. Greene will probably be gone, DeVito will get better offers elsewhere, the Jets will evaluate the OL and resign the guards accordingly, but neither will attract a ton of interest or be too difficult to keep.

The franchise number for TEs is the lowest for a starting position in the NFL. I'm sure Tannenbaum's aware of that.

Yet another stupid stat that means nothing.

I cant wait for the All 22 film personally and I hope they release past seasons as well (probably will)

flgreen the Dolphins were not a very talented football team they did well with a healthy Brown, Williams and Penny but when those guys got hurt they had nothing in year 2 other than Marshall who had to learn the offense and Matt Moore in year 3 who also had tro learn the offense and did well at the end of the season. Want to evaluate Sparano check out his 5th ranked offense with the cowboys who actully had some good players

Again, this is meaningless. He wants the guys to play fast in practice to make sure they are digesting the play book and understand where they are supposed to be. He doesn't want the guys to just walk through it, he wants them to "feel" where they are supposed to be and be able to make split second decisions. That doesn't mean we'll be running that kind of offense all season long.

As I said in an earlier thread, Sparano was not brought in to set the world on fire with our offense. He was brought in to do the exact opposite. Instill discipline and accountability, sustain drives, establish our running game, and protect the ball.

flgreen the Dolphins were not a very talented football team they did well with a healthy Brown, Williams and Penny but when those guys got hurt they had nothing in year 2 other than Marshall who had to learn the offense and Matt Moore in year 3 who also had tro learn the offense and did well at the end of the season. Want to evaluate Sparano check out his 5th ranked offense with the cowboys who actully had some good players

I understand guys.

As I said, in June I'm always a Sunshiner. On the one hand Sparano's philosophy does seem to go hand in hand with what Rex wants to do on the field, and could work out very well for the offense in general, and Sanchez in particular.

On the other hand I am having a hard time dismissing the offense I have seen down here for a few years.

I'm not attacking the guy, and stating "he sucks. This has no chance to work" But I'd be a liar if I said I'm not concerned about it.

We'll see come camp.

sparano's philosophy fits with what Rex is trying to do, so it's going to be more continuity in the locker room at that level. I don't expect Sparano's offense to be more explosive or put up tons of points just take care of the ball and be organized. They have an awesome OL they should be relying on these players and Shonn Greene to set up play action for Mark and company.

as for Keller I think this is absolutely fair. While I am often on the side of players making money, keller needs to fit in with this system. unlike Revis, who will produce no matter who is the coach or what is the system, keller's success depends on Sanchez, Sparano figuring out a way to use him. the franchise tag for a TE is also among the lower numbers so that's a good accounting move.

Sparano wasn't running the offense and wasn't calling the plays in Miami though. Look at the huge difference between when Rex was calling the plays in 2009, and then last year when it was Pettine. I'm not saying it's going to be that much of a difference with Sparano, but saying the offense he's going to call here with the Jets is what he was running in Miami is shortsighted.

sparano is teaching an offense

pushing the tempo in practice forces the players to prepare more off the field

so they learn it faster

doesn't mean they are running a no huddle or up tempo offense during a game

it's practice rich

practice

Archived