Did Rex Ryan Send A Message to Coples At Rookie Camp

JetNation

Post image for Did Rex Ryan Send A Message to Coples At Rookie Camp

A controversy was created at Jets rookie camp when first round pick Quinton Coples was told to sit out of 11-on-11 drills during the second day of practice.  Members of the media went into a frenzy on twitter about the Coples “benching” and asked if he were injured.  To his credit Coples simple said he was told to stay out, “If the boss says sit down, sit down. That’s what I did.”

Coach Rex Ryan explained that Coples was left out of drills to get a look at other rookie defensive linemen since it might be his last opportunity to see certain players in action.  While Ryan’s explanation is plausible ask yourself this question:  Didn’t Ryan know leaving Coples out of the entire drill would create a story? 

Coples was considered a top 10 draft talent but fell to the Jets at 16 mostly due to work ethic concerns.  Leaving him out of the drill would look like some sort of punishment given the perception of Coples not being a hard worker.  Why not have Coples run some plays in the drill then take him out?  This would have made Ryan’s explanation seem more logical, “I wanted to see some of the other guys compete give them an opportunity.”  It probably would have at least lessened if not totally eliminated the media hype that Coples was benched for some other reason and Ryan had to know entering his post-camp press conference that the first question would be about Coples non-participation.

The day before Coach Ryan was informed Coples had said he knew the playbook already and Ryan reacted with some surprise saying, “This is one practice and he has four defenses in and our library is a little more extensive than that.”

Ryan is known as a players coach but that does not preclude him from a tweak now and then.  Remember he would sit quarterback Mark Sanchez in practice and let back-up Mark Brunell run plays with the first team to send a message to Sanchez.

So why would Ryan want to deal with the media by pulling out Coples unless he was sending him a subtle message?  It seems as if Ryan let Coples understand who was in charge and a first round pick doesn’t mean a free ride.  Maybe he wanted Coples to realize you never truly know everything, even the playbook.  You’ll have to earn it every day or you could be sitting on the sideline real easy.

There is no way to know this for sure it’s just strange how Ryan handled the situation given the fact it was bound to blow up, if in fact, Ryan really wanted to see other players.  The interesting thing is since then Coples has been a model player no mention of poor work ethic/taking plays off and seeing him at mini-camp he looks like the real deal, only time will tell, but there is no limit to his potential.  Just wonder if Coach Ryan nipped any potential problem in the bud giving Coples the focus and understanding about being a professional he’ll need to live up to his talent. 

No, he wasn't sending a message. He was taking a guy who has already been named a starter, and asked him to step aside so that he can evaluate some fringe guys.

Think your over thinking this.

If Ryan wanted to send him a message about perceived laziness in college he would have done it the first day. Or if Coples came into camp out of shape, and didn't play real well the first day maybe.

That's not what happened. This was the rookie camp with a make shift OL. After the first day Ryan had said if there was contact Coples would have had 10 sacks. I think Coples was just being so disruptive to the O that it was counter productive to keep him in the second day, and evaluate the other players.

There's no second shooter

Think your over thinking this.

If Ryan wanted to send him a message about perceived laziness in college he would have done it the first day. Or if Coples came into camp out of shape, and didn't play real well the first day maybe.

That's not what happened. This was the rookie camp with a make shift OL. After the first day Ryan had said if there was contact Coples would have had 10 sacks. I think Coples was just being so disruptive to the O that it was counter productive to keep him in the second day, and evaluate the other players.

There's no second shooter

This is pretty much how I remember it going down. It was either sit him or tell him to take it easy on the little guys. I can see how you could strain your eyes to read into "why not give him a couple of reps and then pull him" but when I try to look into it all I see is him being rewarded for crushing whoever they put in front of him the day before.

Didn't Rex say he spent time this offseason talking to Parcells about coaching philosophy? Pair the Coples benching with trying to run Holmes into the ground, and those are two cla$$ic Parcellsian pre-emptive strikes against two players with histories of being uncoachable.

Didn't Rex say he spent time this offseason talking to Parcells about coaching philosophy? Pair the Coples benching with trying to run Holmes into the ground, and those are two cla$$ic Parcellsian pre-emptive strikes against two players with histories of being uncoachable.

Coples doesn't have a history of being uncoachable. He had a great relationship with his former HC, and the DC. It was when they were fired in his Senior year over a scandal, and the new coaching staff changed his position, and the style he played with that his production fell.

Actually even though his production was off from the previous year, he still had a very good year

Next is he going to issue all the rookies white helmets with stripes but no logos on them?

Maybe it's just me but the whole 'wanting to look at other players' excuse sounds pretty reasonable.

The Coples thing is not clear to me either way, but I do think they were sending Holmes a message in OTAs.

why is this a "story"? -_- I stopped reading after the explanation.

I'm going to become a reporter, just so I can start reporting about anything I can make a conspiracy.

Sanchez didn't throw to Holmes they hate each other again. Call the masses.

If only Parcells had some method of dealing with people like Tom Shane.....

I don't know if Rex met with Parcells or not, but if he did, Parcels probably recommended Sparano. Sparano is a major follower of the Parcells philosophy. I am much more inclined to agree that Holmes was targeted early by Sparano.

That would a Parcells move. I suspect that before the season is over the Holmes, Sparano, Lal relationship might be very interesting to watch. Particularly if Schilens, and Hill work out

I don't know if Rex met with Parcells or not, but if he did, Parcels probably recommended Sparano. Sparano is a major follower of the Parcells philosophy. I am much more inclined to agree that Holmes was targeted early by Sparano.

That would a Parcells move. I suspect that before the season is over the Holmes, Sparano, Lal relationship might be very interesting to watch. Particularly if Schilens, and Hill work out

kerley filled in fine for the last game of the season.

Archived