Ask Tom Shane a question about the Jets

Maxman

Tom Shane has all the answers. We have contracted with him to provide answers to the questions that you ask. In order to keep our expenses low, we ask that you refrain from asking him more than 4 questions per day (per person).

Thanks,

JetNation (the site that cares)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Tannenabum: Bad GM or worst GM?

Mark Sanchez: Is he more bad than gay?

What ceiling do you see for Quinton Coples? Wilkerson?

How important is the RT position in the overall performance of an offense?

Tim Tebow: Is it possible he can be an average QB in the next 5 years? Is it possible the Jets can coach him up at the position and flip him? I'm guessing the odds are heavily stacked against this happening?

How many sacks for Aaron Maybin behind the possibly very badass DL?

All excellent questions. I'll take them one at a time.

1. Which franchise do you like better, the Giants or the Jets?

Because I've always been something of a contrarian, I chose to follow the Jets at a young age, and because of my ethical backbone and misguided sense of loyalty, I cannot ever switch my allegiances. However, I look at the Giants as a model franchise, who (on the surface, anyway) comport themselves with a sense of dignity and composure that the Jets have historically lacked. To use an analogy, I like Kate Middleton better, but I bang Courtney Love.

2. Is Woody Johnson pure evil?

I don't believe Woody Johnson is evil. I believe Woody Johnson wears socks that cost $500/pair and can't comprehend how anyone could ever wear socks that were made of mere cotton.

3. Why does it hurt when I pee?

Constricted urethra, either due to venereal inflammation or silicate blockage.

4. How dreamy is Mark Sanchez on a dreaminess scale of 1-10?

Like Derek Jeter, Sanchez's alleged "dreaminess" is overrated because of his status as a millionaire athlete. Were Mark Sanchez a waiter at Applebee's, he'd still get laid, but not by supermodels.

Tim Tebow: Is it possible he can be an average QB in the next 5 years? Is it possible the Jets can coach him up at the position and flip him? I'm guessing the odds are heavily stacked against this happening?

We will pay the overage but the next one is on you.

Bad GM. In over a decade's service in personnel (6 as the head man), has yet to find a QB or a pass rusher--both unconscionable demerits on his ledger. His major failings are philosophical, all stemming from the fact that he has never spent one minute as a coach, scout, or player and, as such, knows little about the nuances of putting together a functioning locker room. As with Herm and Mangini, the Rex Ryan regime will fail in similar fashion--with a promising beginning undone by roster attrition and gambling on older, expensive FAs to plug holes ignored in the draft, resulting in limited depth and an absence of cheap, worthwhile developmental prospects on the back end.

Mark Sanchez is not untalented. Mark Sanchez is a case of arrested development. He was handed the starting job from Day One, had some success, and that sense of entitlement, combined with his imminent struggles, has left him the insecure, quivering psychological mess that he is today. In sum, he's the Macauley Culkin of NFL quarterbacks.

Great question. I think as long as the team is good and stable, both players will perform at a high level. Wilkerson will always be solid, in much the same way that Shaun Ellis was solid. Coples, however, will go as the team goes. If he's as susceptible to surrounding negativity as has been rumored, it will be incumbent upon Rex and Pettine to shield Coples from the bad apples in the locker room. Reading up on the UNC issues, it sounds a lot like Donte Paige-Moss and Bruce Davis were the ringleaders of the mutiny, and Coples got caught up in that. If the Jet offense goes bad, and negativity starts affecting the locker room, will Coples--a newly-minted millionaire--stop working? The key figure here will be Bart Scott. Bart admitted to being somewhat disgruntled last year by scheme changes, weird play calls. and by Rex killing the defense for the offenses's suckage. If Bart jumps ship this year, it's hard to see a young, impressionable player like Coples resist the temptation to follow.

Every team has a garbage offensive lineman starting for them. It's incumbent upon the OC and QB to compensate for this. Schottenheimer's offense put a ton of pressure on everybody because every pass was intended to travel 15-20 yards downfield. Perhaps that was because of the personnel (where's the short receiver? Keller?). To answer the question, the RT will be fine if Sparano recognizes he needs TE help, and if he features the short passing game.

I think Tebow is in an unwinnable situation here. The Jets brought him in solely for the headlines, and when he gets the chance to play, it'll come when the team is ready to implode after Sanchez fails. In short, Tebow and his permasmile will be really tested this year, and next, and he'll end up being run out of town with Sanchez when the Jets draft their next franchise saving QB in 2013.

If the offense is functional and can plow its way to early leads, Maybin could have 8-10 sacks. If the offense is miserable, Maybin will be an afterthought and the bigger Ricky Sapp will steal his snaps.

Charlie Winner or Lou Holtz as the worst Jets coach ever?

Because of the roster he was handed, and because he squandered the organizational foundation that Bill Parcells worked to create here after decades of pure sh*t, Herm Edwards is the worst coach in the history of the Jets franchise.

I've got some questions for you guys:

1. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you believe anything Rex says, either about his players or the team?

2. If the NFL gave each team salary cap amnesty to cut one player without penalty, which Jet would you ship out of town?

3. Will Mark Sanchez be your starter in Week Eight?

4. You can add one non-QB to this roster from any team in the league. Who are you taking?

1. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you believe anything Rex says, either about his players or the team?

2. If the NFL gave each team salary cap amnesty to cut one player without penalty, which Jet would you ship out of town?

4. You can add one non-QB to this roster from any team in the league. Who are you taking?

1. 10

2. Holmes

3. Yes

4. Ngata

1 - A year ago? Not a whole lot. Now? He's a little more reserved and he's talking up the talent (not your Rotipatowhatevers). To throw a number out...8.

2 - Gun to the head it's Holmes, but personally I think his antics get way overblown. He'll be key this year.

3 - Yes.

4 - Hmmm...one non-QB? Only because JiF said Ngata will I say healthy Suggs/Ware.

1. Five.

2. Holmes. Best move for Smash's blood pressure, plus then he can not stand for much more important things.

3. Yes?

4. Calvin Johnson (honorable mention to Patrick Willis).

1. About the defense, 8. Anyone on offense, a 2.

2. Bart Scott.

3.No.

4. Ngata in a Rex Ryan defense is a no brainer.

1. Not sure about the scale but Rex is not believable at all when he is talking about his own players. He praises publicly and is never honest with how he truly feels.

2, Santonio Holmes.

3. Yes.

4. Tim Tebow and I would make have the best punt team ever.

1. 2

2. Holmes

3. Yes

4. Since I cut Holmes I would Add Calvin Johnson

1. 2

2. Holmes

3. Yes

4. Since I cut Holmes I would Add Calvin Johnson

Only thing I would change on this is 1. I'd give Rex a 7. The team is good, just not a Super Bowl shoe in. Many of the players he talks up are good players, just not first vote HOF'ers

Only thing I would change on this is 1. I'd give Rex a 7. The team is good, just not a Super Bowl shoe in. Many of the players he talks up are good players, just not first vote HOF'ers

Gholston, Kerry Rhodes, Brad Smith, John Conner?

I should ammend the answer a little....

I think its wrong to call Rex a liar I think he genuinely feels his players are much more than they actully are when it comes to OTA's and Training camp as opposed to Regular Season. Hes a confident guy and I think that works its way into his evaluations of players. Also if you notice he does the same thing with players we face when asked questions on them.

1) 0

2) Assuming 4 is happenning, Holmes..

3) Yes

4) Megatron.. to go with #2

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

24 mph, duh.

P vs NP?

What are the values of g(k) and G(k) in Waring's problem?

Are there infinitely many Fibonacci prime numbers?

The end result of all science and philosophy is best summarized in the following mantra:

fuck%2Bbitches%2Bget%2Bmoney.jpg

Archived