The Brooklyn Nets

Jetsfan80

Johnson has like $100 million left on that deal too. Worst trade ever if this sh*t happens. That Wallace contract is Isiah-esque.

Yep. 4 years, $90 mil I think. I know they're under pressure to get name players on the roster to open the new arena with, but this would be catastrophic.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Atlanta sign Johnson to a 6 year deal? The amount of money he's still owed is crazy.

He signed at the same time that STAT did, but STAT has only 3 yrs $65 mill left. Did Johnson get an extra year because of his Bird Rights?

CBS reporting strong chance of the Johnson deal happening within the next 48 hours. Howard is not happening if they get Johnson's contract, no way no how. Only way Orlando deals is if they can unload Richardson and Hedo's contracts.

platoon05.jpg

Deal's done, contingent on DWill re-signing. Nets kept Brooks and Green.

Completely takes them out of getting Howard, either now or next year (Lakers become the favorite). Apparently, Orlando wasn't even taking the Nets calls anymore considering the putrid packages they were offering.

On the plus side, it's a really athletic team with a great point guard throwing it to a bunch of 6'5-6'8 swing players, so it could be fun to watch. On the negative side, there's no cap room in the near future to make any moves, plus they're almost forced to keep that crippled Lopez girl in the middle that Wiliams hates. I'd love--LOVE--to trade Lopez somewhere for an athletic Serge Ibaka-type big, especially if Lopez thinks he's worth $12 mil per.

This may be one of the dumbest moves. Ever.

What is the upside to this?

Ted Stepien is no longer the dumbest person involved with an NBA franchise in history. Billy King takes the title. The worst thing Porkorov has done is chase Rod Thorn away and hire this imbecile. A bunch of overpaid over 30 guys is not winning anything.

As above, the draft pickless Nets will chase their tails and overpay dregs instead of scouting young cheap talent. Billy King would rather overpay some JAG than scout NCAA and Europe. The man is a dope. But if he keeps this up he will find himself in a trunk of a Mercedes in Brighton Beach.

Its a nightmare. They will have no depth and no real presence down low. At most they have a 1 year window to host a playoff series before their money guys all break down for good. Apparently they think the way to win is to be like a poor mans Miami except with Williams as Lebron, Johnson as Wade, and Wallace as Bosh. I guess if Antonie Walker and Stephon Marbury are looking to get back into the NBA they may have now found a team that will be bringing in jokers like that. I really dont like where this is headed for the Nets.

Steep price, but how are they including Hump who is an UFA? Nets would have to pull off a sign and trade for him and Lopez as a RFA.

I assume that'd have to be the route. Broussard obviously hadn't slept and whomever was tipping him off was texting him during his interview. King goes from nitwit to rock star within the span of 24 hours if this comes off. Ends justifying the means and whatnot.

The depth should be fun to watch though.

The positive is that DWill, Johnson and even Wallace are all pretty good passers, so whatever scrubs they line up with will get opportunities to score. They've supposedly got a bead on a few foreign players that can shoot. They just need to find a power forward and backup center with a pulse.

Its a nightmare. They will have no depth and no real presence down low. At most they have a 1 year window to host a playoff series before their money guys all break down for good. Apparently they think the way to win is to be like a poor mans Miami except with Williams as Lebron, Johnson as Wade, and Wallace as Bosh. I guess if Antonie Walker and Stephon Marbury are looking to get back into the NBA they may have now found a team that will be bringing in jokers like that. I really dont like where this is headed for the Nets.

The math doesn't work. If this team doesn't win right away Williams, Johnson and/or Howard will not play nice nor be willing to take less than full cost. And the rest of the roster figures to be very, very bad,

I assume that'd have to be the route. Broussard obviously hadn't slept and whomever was tipping him off was texting him during his interview. King goes from nitwit to rock star within the span of 24 hours if this comes off. Ends justifying the means and whatnot.

Yeah if they get Howards its a legit team. At the backend it will be tough to watch, but that move probably makes them the 2nd best team in the East the next two years even with zero depth. Still I dont think the Magic will go for that deal. I think they figure the can get a better deal from one of the teams in the West.

It's not impossible for the Nets to still trade for Howard, but it's going to take a level of skill that I think exceed's Billy King's capabilities as a GM.

They first have to hope that Orlando is desperate enough to take on a package of a re-signed Lopez, Brooks, and (3) crappy 1st Rd picks without shedding Turkoglu in the process. It's a major obstacle, but if that's the best offer they can muster - considering that Dallas has few assets to trade, I suppose that it's feasible.

The next problem is that due to Base-Year Compensation rules, Lopez's new salary will only count at 50% for trade-matching purposes. Therefore, if the first year of his contract is $11m, it only counts as $5.5m with respect to matching Howard's incoming salary of ~$18m. Brooks counts as another ~$1m, so they're going to have to be able to S&T Humphries as well to take on Dwight. Word is that Orlando has no interest in Humphries, so the Nets would need to get a 3rd team involved that is interested in taking him on, and is under the cap (or has a large TPE) and willing to send an asset of some sort to Orlando.

Even at that, unless the Lopez (BYC) + Humphries salaries combine to make up ~$16m, the Nets would still fall short and would have to try and S&T any other FA holdovers that weren't included in the Johnson deal. The only other way to get it done would be to trade Gerald Wallace, which seems highly unlikely.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the Nets could agree, in a subsequent deal, to take on Quentin Richardson using the $3m TPE from Shawne Williams to further entice Orlando. Unfortunately, they won't have the capacity to take on any of the Magic's truly bad contracts, like Hedo, Jason Richardson, or Duhon.

Great stuff, Hector

If they get Howard, I guess it will be worth it. But from Humps & Lopez's perspective, why would they go for that deal? Also, why would Orlando want Lopez and Hump?

The deal only makes sense from the Nets' perspective in desperately trying to be relevant. It doesn't make sense for Orlando or the 2 key FAs in Lopes and Hump.

I think this is Jay-Z feeding Broussard pie-in-the sky info again, like he did about LeBron.

If they get Howard, I guess it will be worth it. But from Humps & Lopez's perspective, why would they go for that deal? Also, why would Orlando want Lopez and Hump?

Agreed in that I don't think Orlando has any interest in Humphries, which is why they will need to get a 3rd (if not 4th) team involved. Even at that, assuming nobody wants to pay Humphries $10m+, the Nets don't have the contracts to match Howard without S&T'ing 5-6 guys. The Base-Year Compensation rule really kills them in this scenario.

To land Howard, it'll take a near-miracle and shrewd maneuvering by King (which would actually be a second miracle), or moving Gerald Wallace's salary in the deal.

The other alternative is that Orlando goes into the season with Howard and the Nets trade for him during the season, when Lopez's contract is 6 months old. At that point, BYC will no longer apply and his full salary will be used for matching purposes. They probably would need to have re-signed Humphries as well, though, because their roster will otherwise be filled out by a bunch of vet-min guys that still won't add up to the requisite number of ~$18m. The other alternative would be to use their two TPE's to bring in players to later be used in a Howard deal.

Orlando probably wants to unload Dwight as soon as possible so that they can completely tank this upcoming season and keeping him into January, even if unmotivated, will win them enough games to keep them out of the top-5.

I don't see why the hell Orlando would take NJ's offer over Atlanta's. Unless they're just that afraid that Howard wouldn't show up for the physical or something. Or why the hell they'd take a deal without shedding Hedo to begin with. That's probably the top benefit of trading Howard.

I don't see why the hell Orlando would take NJ's offer over Atlanta's. Unless they're just that afraid that Howard wouldn't show up for the physical or something. Or why the hell they'd take a deal without shedding Hedo to begin with. That's probably the top benefit of trading Howard.

Agreed 100%. Any deal you accept at this point is not bringing back nearly equal value, so you at least have to impose a trade tax and saddle them with Turkoglu's ugly contract at a minimum.

To think that Otis Smith once did a S&T with Turkoglu because he was demanding too much money in exchange for nothing more than a TPE (that he let expire) and then went out and re-acquired him on that very same contract. Not exactly a head-scratcher as to why this guy isn't in the employ of an NBA team right now.

Agreed 100%. Any deal you accept at this point is not bringing back nearly equal value, so you at least have to impose a trade tax and saddle them with Turkoglu's ugly contract at a minimum.

To think that Otis Smith once did a S&T with Turkoglu because he was demanding too much money in exchange for nothing more than a TPE (that he let expire) and then went out and re-acquired him on that very same contract. Not exactly a head-scratcher as to why this guy isn't in the employ of an NBA team right now.

Oh the good ol' days of this forum when InstantClassic would lecture us about the genius of Otis.

LOL. That's like the ending of The Hurt Locker.

Sign and trade for Reggie Evans, who's repped by Howard's agent. Is that the missing salary?

At a whopping 3yrs/$5m? No.

He was acquired because he will be the only guy capable of grabbing a rebound on the team when they fail to land Howard and are starting Teletovic and Lopez at the 4/5.

In another positive development, Adam Morrison is playing for the Nets in the summer league.

At a whopping 3yrs/$5m? No.

He was acquired because he will be the only guy capable of grabbing a rebound on the team when they fail to land Howard and are starting Teletovic and Lopez at the 4/5.

In another positive development, Adam Morrison is playing for the Nets in the summer league.

Perhaps it would be easier for both of us if you just stepped directly on my penis.

Archived