The Brooklyn Nets

Jetsfan80

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude who sounds pretty plugged in to the Dwight situation just painted the ol' word picture that Dwight will be a Net by next week. The only hurdle remaining is pawning Humphries off on somebody.

Hes the second guy I have heard say that on the situation (Im assuming you heard this on WFAN too) so its probably being floated by Howards agent. Lakers deal for Nash and the fact that the Lakers players rub it in that they dont want Dwight every chance they have has pretty much taken them out of consideration. At this point Id imagine the decision comes down to how much they value poor draft picks that they may be able to package down the line for something vs the pure salary dump and young mid draft players they get from Houston. I also wonder how much Howard's attitude plays into it and the Magic not wanting to send him to a team and then having him do something crazy like not show up. I think they would be nuts to give him to the Nets. You never should take a team in your conference like that and essentially hand them the number 2 seed, barring injuries, for the next 3 years for Brook Lopez

Hes the second guy I have heard say that on the situation (Im assuming you heard this on WFAN too) so its probably being floated by Howards agent. Lakers deal for Nash and the fact that the Lakers players rub it in that they dont want Dwight every chance they have has pretty much taken them out of consideration. At this point Id imagine the decision comes down to how much they value poor draft picks that they may be able to package down the line for something vs the pure salary dump and young mid draft players they get from Houston. I also wonder how much Howard's attitude plays into it and the Magic not wanting to send him to a team and then having him do something crazy like not show up. I think they would be nuts to give him to the Nets. You never should take a team in your conference like that and essentially hand them the number 2 seed, barring injuries, for the next 3 years for Brook Lopez

I agree with everything you're saying. If I'm Orlando, I wouldn't even answer the Nets' calls. I couldn't even imagine trying to sell Brook Lopez to your fanbase after getting dragged through all the sh*t Dwight created. At this point, I'd wait until the trade deadline and gouge some desperate team for a few first round picks in return for a short-term Dwight rental, then watch as Dwight twists in the wind in the offseason when he realizes the Nets gave all his money to Ilyasova.

Dude who sounds pretty plugged in to the Dwight situation just painted the ol' word picture that Dwight will be a Net by next week. The only hurdle remaining is pawning Humphries off on somebody.

It's not just pawning Humphries off on somebody, but pawning him off at an $8m+ starting salary.

Based on the 125% rule, the Nets will have to send Orlando roughly $15.41m in salary to match Howard's incoming contract.

Given how terrible the #1 picks Orlando would be receiving will be, I don't see how the Nets could strike a deal without including Brooks, so take his $1.16m off that figure and that leaves it at $14.25m.

Nobody is giving Brook Lopez a max contract, so let's say he gets a deal starting at $10m for this upcoming season. Due to him being subject to the Base-Year Compensation rule, his outgoing contract value in a trade is only 50% of his salary for the 6-month period following the signing of said contract. Thus, slash $5m off the required outgoing total and you're left at $9.25m.

That means that the Nets would have to be able to S&T Humphries and some combination of other expired contracts (Gaines, Damion Jones, Gerald Green, Shelden Williams) for a total of at least $9.25m.

While a trade isn't impossible from a cap standpoint, it's not as simple as Orlando picking up the phone and saying "yes" to make it happen. King's got his work cut out for him in finding a team willing to take on Humphries at a high enough salary to get this done.

This made me laugh really, really loud on the train.

I still can't believe he went 3rd overall. Then again, Jordan was making the decision.

This is one of the reasons I hate the NBA draft. With only 60 picks, in a good year the draft produces a Revis, maybe a Mangold, two or three Harrises, and then a bunch of Gholstons.

It's not just pawning Humphries off on somebody, but pawning him off at an $8m+ starting salary.

Based on the 125% rule, the Nets will have to send Orlando roughly $15.41m in salary to match Howard's incoming contract.

Given how terrible the #1 picks Orlando would be receiving will be, I don't see how the Nets could strike a deal without including Brooks, so take his $1.16m off that figure and that leaves it at $14.25m.

Nobody is giving Brook Lopez a max contract, so let's say he gets a deal starting at $10m for this upcoming season. Due to him being subject to the Base-Year Compensation rule, his outgoing contract value in a trade is only 50% of his salary for the 6-month period following the signing of said contract. Thus, slash $5m off the required outgoing total and you're left at $9.25m.

That means that the Nets would have to be able to S&T Humphries and some combination of other expired contracts (Gaines, Damion Jones, Gerald Green, Shelden Williams) for a total of at least $9.25m.

While a trade isn't impossible from a cap standpoint, it's not as simple as Orlando picking up the phone and saying "yes" to make it happen. King's got his work cut out for him in finding a team willing to take on Humphries at a high enough salary to get this done.

It's pretty damn impressive that you know this stuff so well. Amick (SI) put out today that it either happens early next week or Orlando may be forced to deal with Dwight until mid-December, when Lopez can be swapped at full percentage of his salary, as you stated last week. Talk about playing a game of chicken--there's virtually no way Brooke Shields stays healthy for another six months.

LOL, Prof. Either way, its real lucky we got guys like Hector in basketball and Jason in football.

On a separate note, after all the reading I did yestert became more apparent how greatly Cuban screwed up. DWill was right about the roster disparity. The Mavs only had 34 yr old Dirk and Marion. The Nets could sell DWill on JJ, Wallace, and the DH possibility. Kidd pointed this point out.

Besides Billy King fellating DWill on a daily basis and the extra money, DWill made the right decision.

LOL, Prof. Either way, its real lucky we got guys like Hector in basketball and Jason in football.

Then again, I'm single and still read the entire histories of both Batman and Superman, not to mention the lyrical story-arcs of almost every Wu-Tang album that have ever existed. I'm probably not one to judge.

I don't consider myself remotely on par with Jason... he's compiling data that is not readily available elsewhere and is used as a resource by others.

I, on the other hand, use the information provided in Larry Coon's FAQ, salary data from multiple sources, and my own rudimentary knowledge of how the NBA cap works with respect to trades, exceptions, etc. The NBA cap, as a whole, is a helluva lot easier to navigate than the NFL as well, as you're not dealing with bonus money spread across the life of the contract.

I don't consider myself remotely on par with Jason... he's compiling data that is not readily available elsewhere and is used as a resource by others.

I, on the other hand, use the information provided in Larry Coon's FAQ, salary data from multiple sources, and my own rudimentary knowledge of how the NBA cap works with respect to trades, exceptions, etc. The NBA cap, as a whole, is a helluva lot easier to navigate than the NFL as well, as you're not dealing with bonus money spread across the life of the contract.

So humble. Just admit that you're Scott Layden.

Soooooooo, from several sources (fwiw) it sounds like the Nets and Cleveland are working on a tenuous Kris Humphries trade that would potentially give the Nets the needed ammo to make the Howard move, but Cleveland is holding a gun to the Nets head for the ol' add-ons to take Hump and pay him $9 mil per. I'm not even sure what the Nets could include at this point, given that every remaining asset is ticketed for Orlando.

Yeah, twitter is abuzz about Nets going hard after DH with Cleveland as the 3rd team.

I can imagine the holdup being in part because of Hump's salary demands. He's still an UFA and it's pretty unprecedented to try to pull off a major multiteam trade where a key piece is an UFA. Hump has no incentive to play along unless he's get top dollar.

Alright so it seems I'll be paying attention to basketball.

I zoned out about 5-6 years ago so catch me up here. Brook Lopez sucks, Humphries is decent, but they can land Dwight Howard? What a world. Also, I'm supposed to like or dislike Johnson?

Also, I'm supposed to like or dislike Johnson?

Joe Johnson = Santonio Holmes minus the major character issues. Talented but not really worth the $$$ he's paid. So I guess you'll love him and Smashmouth, if he were an NBA fan, would hate him?

Joe Johnson = Santonio Holmes minus the major character issues. Talented but not really worth the $$$ he's paid. So I guess you'll love him and Smashmouth, if he were an NBA fan, would hate him?

You know what? I liked Johnson before I ducked out on the NBA. No clue he went on to become Mr. Overrated within the league...Meh, if they get Howard all will be right.

You know what? I liked Johnson before I ducked out on the NBA. No clue he went on to become Mr. Overrated within the league...Meh, if they get Howard all will be right.

Exactly. Johnson is fine as the # 2 scoring option, even if he IS overpaid. With Deron running the offense and Howard as the alpha-dog, this team could be really good. F***, I mean Gerald Wallace as the 4th-best guy in the mix? That's your best shot at knocking off the Heat before the Finals anytime soon. That or some goon taking out LeBron's knees or something.

I grew up a Nets fan and, like you, admittedly fell away from the NBA for a while after moving to NC. Obviously I'm a fairweather fan, but a good team in Brooklyn really excites me. Sue me, Knicks fans.

Exactly. Johnson is fine as the # 2 scoring option, even if he IS overpaid. With Deron running the offense and Howard as the alpha-dog, this team could be really good. F***, I mean Gerald Wallace as the 4th-best guy in the mix? That's your best shot at knocking off the Heat before the Finals anytime soon. That or some goon taking out LeBron's knees or something.

I grew up a Nets fan and, like you, admittedly fell away from the NBA for a while after moving to NC. Obviously I'm a fairweather fan, but a good team in Brooklyn really excites me. Sue me, Knicks fans.

EFF. YOU.

If you weren't there for the Tate George Era, you can't jump in now, you filthy front-runner.

You can't do the Holmes comparison mainly because of the age disparity. Johnson is 31 years old with 5 years and $89 million left on his contract.

Interesting that Orlando is supposedly interested in Lopez for S&T at $58 million. Would think theyd want total rebuild assets.

Bynum's comments really blew any hopes that Orlando had of using the Lakers as leverage, I think. Bynum is actually flakier than Dwight, by a lot.

Interesting that Orlando is supposedly interested in Lopez for S&T at $58 million. Would think theyd want total rebuild assets.

That's just an absolutely crazy number. Maybe they're so bitter about the whole situation with Howard and want to move past it buy getting a guy whose game is the exact opposite of Dwight's.

On a 4/$58m contract, assuming 7.5% annual raises since Lopez has Bird rights, you're looking at a first-year salary of just under $13m. Applying the BYC rule, Lopez will count as ~$6.5m of outgoing salary, meaning that basically anything over $8m for Humphries in a S&T, when coupled with Brooks's outgoing salary, will allow the Nets to take on Howard's contract.

Since there's talk of this being more complicated and for a higher annual for Humphries, Orlando must be insisting on shedding some other contracts in a trade.

Yeah, Hector, there's reports of Orlando insisting on shedding Turk's contract and/or J-Rich. I guess that's why it's reported as an 11 player trade (but players haven't been explicitely named, but we can guess at the pieces).

And, yeah, T0m, Bynum's comments screwed things up for the Lakers, but I understand his point. Why would Bynum commit to the Magic with only 1 year left until UFA when he can sign with anyone. There will be some attractive FA destinations next year, Magic not being one of them.

And, last, I maybe in a severe minority here, but I like Hump as a player. He's a guaranteed double-double guy. He doesn't hurt his team on either side of the court. He's worth more than a 1 year deal that Cleveland is insisting on if they're going to play along with this megadeal.

Heck, I'd take Hump over Amare right now on the Knicks. (Hope that doesn't end up like a T0m-esque statement)

Archived