SI: Offseason Breakdown: New York Jets

flgreen

Offseason Breakdown: New York Jets

New York Jets, Offseason Breakdown | Comments

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

tim-tebow.jpg

Can Tim Tebow pick up the slack in the Jets’ backfield? (Getty Images)

With NFL training camps just around the corner, we’re taking a team-by-team look at how the offseason played out and what you can expect in 2012. Click here to read them all.

Even when outnumbered by healthy cells, cancer finds a way to grow. Such was the case of the 2011 Jets.

Rex Ryan’s crew entered last season with high expectations, coming off consecutive AFC title game appearances. But something happened along the way to taking that next step. Long-simmering skepticism about Mark Sanchez’s ability and ceiling came to a boil within Sanchez’s own offensive huddle, thanks to a pouty receiver group led by Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress (Derrick Mason added to the drama early, but the team was smart enough to trade him after just five games of discontent; unfortunately they couldn’t trade the top half of the receiver depth chart all at once).

That led to dysfunction in the passing game, which caused more doubt, within the team and outside of it, about Sanchez and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Pair that with an ineffective ground game, and a defense that was still very good, albeit a step back from its dominant past self, and it’s easy to see how the Jets ended up at 8-8. Gone are Burress and Schottenheimer, along with Rex Ryan’s bravado (supposedly), but will the 2012 Jets be any better, or harmonious, this year?

2011 Record: 8-8 (second in AFC East)

Key Additions: QB Tim Tebow, WR Chaz Schilens, S LaRon Landry, S Yeremiah Bell, DL Quinton Coples, WR Stephen Hill, LB Demario Davis

Key Subtractions: RB LaDainian Tomlinson

Team Strengths: DL, CB

Team Weaknesses: RT, WR, RB, LB

Three Things to Watch:

1. What impact will Tim Tebow’s addition have on Mark Sanchez?: Include me in the camp that believes that Sanchez is not as bad as 2011 made him seem. He had a lot working against him last year — the aforementioned diva receivers, an offensive line that wasn’t great (particularly when Nick Mangold was injured) and a run game that offered little support. He also entered last year without two underrated players in the passing game, receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith, the latter of whom added another dimension to the offense with his Wildcat skills.

While the team helped Sanchez on that front this year by jettisoning Burress, Holmes inexplicably remains, with no upgrades to the run game or line. And now there’s a whole new problem for Sanchez to worry about in Tim Tebow.

The Jets’ coaches, and Sanchez and Tebow themselves, have said all the right things about the headline-grabbing move. But make no mistake: the Jets brought Tebow in to push Sanchez, Tebow wants to push Sanchez and Sanchez is feeling the heat. And the first time Sanchez one-hops a ball to a receiver at home, or throws a dumb pick, the Jets’ crowd will ratchet that heat up a few degrees.

Some quarterbacks — and people — thrive under pressure. So far in his still young career, Sanchez has proven he’s not one of those quarterbacks. Some have blamed the Jets for that, saying they’ve coddled Sanchez publicly and privately, withholding the tough part of tough love that pushes players to improve. Maybe acquiring Tebow was the first step in the Jets changing that, hoping that the challenge will light a fire under Sanchez and teach him how to play with a bit of grit.

We’ll see if it works.

2. Back to ground-and-pound?: In 2009 and 2010, the Jets made those consecutive AFC championship games on the back of an old, trusty formula: pair a great run game with a great defense, and don’t make too many mistakes in the passing game. In 2009, the team got 2,480 yards from its top four rushers. In 2010, that number was 2,168, still respectable. Last year, it plummeted to 1,571, with Sanchez replacing Smith as the team’s fourth-leading rusher. That, obviously, is not a recipe for success.

But Tony Sparano, a maestro with the run game and a Wildcat aficionado, was brought in to replace Schottenheimer at coordinator, and the company line is a rededication to the ground-and-pound.

But what does he have to work with?

LaDainian Tomlinson is gone, leaving Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and to a lesser extent Bilal Powell to carry the load in the backfield. Greene had a career year last season, but he was still far from impressive, and doesn’t show what it takes in most aspects of the game to warrant a spot atop a depth chart. McKnight is a valuable rotation guy, and Powell is underwhelming. Neither is going to suddenly turn the Jets’ ground game around. The team may be counting on Tebow to replace Tomlinson’s lost production and what they lacked in losing Smith before last year.

That’s a lot to ask of Tebow, though Sparano will undoubtedly be creative in how he uses him.

Especially with rookie receiver Stephen Hill (who excelled in an option offense in college, just like Tebow) in the fold, there are a lot of ways to disguise how the Jets utilize Tebow’s ability. But counting on him to contribute 700-1,000 yards might be a bit much (especially with the turnstile that is Wayne Hunter returning at RT), and the Jets may need that if they want their run game to be a threat again.

3. How will the linebackers fare?: Like at running back, the Jets needed change at linebacker, and didn’t get much.

On the outside, the Jets managed 35 sacks last year, 17th in the league, and ahead of only five teams that predominantly used a 3-4. Their starters at OLB, Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace, combined for just 4.5 of those (Thomas, actually, had none at all), with former bust and sub pass-rusher Aaron Maybin leading the team with six. That won’t do, but the team didn’t add any pass rushing prowess at that position in the offseason. It’ll again be Thomas and Pace, with Maybin getting sizable snaps as well. First-round pick Quinton Coples will take a break from his typical end duties to stand up on some passing downs, but it remains to be seen how effective he can be playing at an unnatural position, especially for a guy who had questions about his work ethic coming into the draft.

Inside has a slightly better outlook. David Harris is a bonafide thumper, but other starter Bart Scott’s days are numbered, with effectiveness dwindling quickly for the soon-to-be 32-year-old. Still, Ryan and others have raved about Scott’s work so far in camp. The addition of Demario Davis in the draft’s third round will help a lot, as well. Davis is a solid tackler with strong instincts and the ability to make plays on the ball quickly, and he should contribute immediately.

Then there’s the plan to use more four-man fronts this year, something the team has very rarely done in the past. So far, that’s meant Maybin and Pace lining up at end, with Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson playing inside. Doing that puts less pressure on the linebackers to get to the quarterback and takes Scott off the field, with Davis and Thomas flanking Harris. Given the Jets’ personnel, shifting almost fully to a 4-3 might be the wisest move; if Maybin can handle the burden of squaring off against offensive tackles from a three-point stance, it gives the team a more dynamic front while limiting the deficiencies at linebacker.

Outlook: The Jets should be less of a newsy team, with Ryan vowing to rein in his bravado. But two troublesome spots, chemistry wise, still exist in Holmes and the ever-present threat of Tebow hovering over Sanchez’s shoulder. Let’s take the best case scenario and say that the dysfunction is mostly curbed this year; Holmes isn’t the quitter he was last year and Sanchez responds positively to Tebow’s presence.

On paper, this is still a team that is nowhere near as good as its rival from New England and, worse, the Jets appear to have been surpassed by the Bills. It’ll be a battle with Buffalo for second place in the AFC East to start the season, but expect the Bills to pull away and the Jets to again be relegated to somewhere around .500.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On paper, this is still a team that is nowhere near as good as its rival from New England and, worse, the Jets appear to have been surpassed by the Bills. It’ll be a battle with Buffalo for second place in the AFC East to start the season, but expect the Bills to pull away and the Jets to again be relegated to somewhere around .500.

When was the last time the Bills beat us, three years ago? GTFO

Then there’s the plan to use more four-man fronts this year, something the team has very rarely done in the past. So far, that’s meant Maybin and Pace lining up at end, with Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson playing inside. Doing that puts less pressure on the linebackers to get to the quarterback and takes Scott off the field, with Davis and Thomas flanking Harris. Given the Jets’ personnel, shifting almost fully to a 4-3 might be the wisest move; if Maybin can handle the burden of squaring off against offensive tackles from a three-point stance, it gives the team a more dynamic front while limiting the deficiencies at linebacker.

Completely innacurrate.

From what's been reported so far, Coples rarely comes off the DE position, and Pouha rarely comes off the field. The logic behind playing more 4-3 comes from the fact that they have a bounty of DL right now. Ellis and DeVito (who Rex still calls a starter) will see a lot of time inside with Wilk at DE, too.

Maybin will continue to be a part time player, and it remains to be seen who sees more playing time between DeVito and Pace, who I think is also being phased out a little bit.

The DL they describe could be their nickel front, when Scott would be off the field, anyway.

But it's reporting like this that makes me question the entire article, especially it's conclusions.

Completely innacurrate.

From what's been reported so far, Coples rarely comes off the DE position, and Pouha rarely comes off the field. The logic behind playing more 4-3 comes from the fact that they have a bounty of DL right now. Ellis and DeVito (who Rex still calls a starter) will see a lot of time inside with Wilk at DE, too.

Maybin will continue to be a part time player, and it remains to be seen who sees more playing time between DeVito and Pace, who I think is also being phased out a little bit.

The DL they describe could be their nickel front, when Scott would be off the field, anyway.

But it's reporting like this that makes me question the entire article, especially it's conclusions.

There's pretty much nothing as useless as a preseason preview/prediction article.

There's pretty much nothing as useless as a preseason preview/prediction article.

Yeah, especially final standings predictions. Lol! Obviously, the Bills are the sexy choice for big improvement this year. I'll give them this: their star backup QB is better than ours. When Vince Young is named the starter, I'll start getting concerned.

Seriously. Fuk the nonsense about the Bills pulling away from us. They aren't anywhere near our level. The Patriots are neck and neck with us. I don't fear those scumbags.

:rl:

I just about spit water on my CPU when reading this.

Nothing the Jets did have closed the 5 games.

If Mario Williams continues his stellar play, the Bills D will be better. This means that two game gap could be erased with one victory versus the Jets.

When was the last time the Bills beat us, three years ago? GTFO

You used to say the same thing about the Phins, but they have been splitting with you the last 3 years.

:rl:

I just about spit water on my CPU when reading this.

Nothing the Jets did have closed the 5 games.

If Mario Williams continues his stellar play, the Bills D will be better. This means that two game gap could be erased with one victory versus the Jets.

You used to say the same thing about the Phins, but they have been splitting with you the last 3 years.

Typical Pats fan having no clue what he is talking about. You opened up your pc cover to spit on its CPU? Why would you do that? Dolt.

Typical Pats fan having no clue what he is talking about. You opened up your pc cover to spit on its CPU? Why would you do that? Dolt.

Of course, you cannot refute anything I said. Dolt.

Again, you cannot refute what I said.

Nothing the Jets have done has closed the gap.

Soooooo, the Jets defense gets younger, faster, and stronger, and you say that means nothing? The offense goes back to the principles that led it to two consecutive AFC Championship games, and you say that means nothing? Me thinks you like to live in "Crazy Town," like your Pittsburgh people, perpetuating the delusion that your team will be better - just cause. We'll see how loud you are when the season is 8 games deep this year. I believe Buffalo may be better than the Pats at that point.

Soooooo, the Jets defense gets younger, faster, and stronger, and you say that means nothing? The offense goes back to the principles that led it to two consecutive AFC Championship games, and you say that means nothing? Me thinks you like to live in "Crazy Town," like your Pittsburgh people, perpetuating the delusion that your team will be better - just cause. We'll see how loud you are when the season is 8 games deep this year. I believe Buffalo may be better than the Pats at that point.

It seems to me that you are doing the very same thing, only more so. The Pats used FA and the draft to try to shore up their weak spots: defense and receiver. The Bills and Fins did the same thing for their weak areas, albeit they certainly had and have more.

The Jets OTOH did little in FA to fill any of their needs, which were RT, WR, RB, backup QB, and S. The two notable FAs they signed, safeties Landry and Bell, maybe be good against the run but they aren't very good against the pass, especially against NE's big fast TEs. They did nothing about the FS position. Schillens has done nothing in his NFL career so far to suggest he'd make a decent #2 WR. They did sign a backup QB, but traded him away when they spent a fourth round draft pick on Tebow. How exactly does trading for a backup/wildcat QB improve the team?

In the draft, the Jets went heavily for defense, where they were strong, and largely ignored their needs. The WR they picked in the 2nd is primarily a blocker who occasionally caught passes out of a spread option offense. They didn't take a FS candidate until the 6th round, probably NOT the best place to find an immediate starter. They ignored RT altogether, although they did pick up a RB in the 6th or 7th.

So, how do the Jets improve if they didn't add personnel at their weakest positions? Are they counting on their defense holding opponents to less than 2 TDs every game? Are they going to install a college style spread option offense with Tebow and Hill? Is that the plan???

Seriously. Fuk the nonsense about the Bills pulling away from us. They aren't anywhere near our level. The Patriots are neck and neck with us. I don't fear those scumbags.

Right. Other teams don't get better. Only the Jets get better, even when some of their moves don't make any sense like the trade for Tebow.

NE was 13-3. The Jets were a dropped TD pass by Stevie Johnson from being 7-9 and tied with the Bills, so you're already neck and neck with the Bills, and they made major moves to fix their lousy pass defense while the Jets did NOTHING to fix the turnstile they have at RT or the void they have at FS.

Right. Other teams don't get better. Only the Jets get better, even when some of their moves don't make any sense like the trade for Tebow.

NE was 13-3. The Jets were a dropped TD pass by Stevie Johnson from being 7-9 and tied with the Bills, so you're already neck and neck with the Bills, and they made major moves to fix their lousy pass defense while the Jets did NOTHING to fix the turnstile they have at RT or the void they have at FS.

Can't be neck and neck with a team we beat on a consistent basis. No need to be bitter, little fella... thats just how it is.

Watch what happens at Free Safety this year. Watch. Hater.

I love that no one is giving us any chance this year. I really thought that New England played well above their talent level last season. We, and the rest of the league, will be better prepared for their TE's this coming season, and 13-3 won't come as easily. Barring injury, I do not see why the Jets defense isn't near the top of the league this year. Also, we turned the ball over like a bunch of drunkards last season. I think that with the addition of Stephen Hill we will finally have a player that can legitimately spread out defenses and keep Safeties out of the box. We will be very interesting this year if we can average 24 or so points a game. I think we go 10-6 and duke it out for the wildcard. As for the Bills, color me unimpressed. I know they spent a lot of money this offseason, but other than Mario Williams (who we have successfully blocked in the past) there is little about that defense that scares me, and it isn't as though Ryan Fitzpatrick has done much against our defense in the past...

Isn't that what you are doing?

You are saying the Jets will be better cause their unproven draft picks make them younger and faster. The Jets will be stronger cause of Landry or Bell.

Their offense will be better cause they are returning to the principles of their two AFC Championship runs.

I can use you first sentence for the Patriots. The Patriots will be better cause of Jones, Thomas, Bequette and Dennard. This makes them younger, faster and stronger. Their offense is still strong and if Vereen is healthy and matches his potential, they will be better cause he is much more versatile than BJGE.

IMHO they are a 10-12 win team. No worse than an 8 win team. I think you will give the Patriots a run, but our QB is still light year ahead of yours and unless he closes the gap, we will win the division. Not by 5 games, but it will go well into December.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was about taking turns in a conversation. I was waiting for you to respond to my response to your CPU comment.

As I told war, it is an expression. That you took it literal or tried to make a joke of it is dumb.

You are saying the Jets will be better cause their unproven draft picks make them younger and faster. The Jets will be stronger cause of Landry or Bell.

Their offense will be better cause they are returning to the principles of their two AFC Championship runs.

I can use you first sentence for the Patriots. The Patriots will be better cause of Jones, Thomas, Bequette and Dennard. This makes them younger, faster and stronger. Their offense is still strong and if Vereen is healthy and matches his potential, they will be better cause he is much more versatile than BJGE.

IMHO they are a 10-12 win team. No worse than an 8 win team. I think you will give the Patriots a run, but our QB is still light year ahead of yours and unless he closes the gap, we will win the division. Not by 5 games, but it will go well into December.

As I told war, it is an expression. That you took it literal or tried to make a joke of it is dumb.

An expression... that... you made up? Cause it is pretty stupid.

Again, you can discount the improvements the Jets made and wax eloquent about all those draft picks the Pats made until the rubber meets the road. As far as Brady being better than Sanchez - that's a given. Brady's a first round HOFer. But he is also 35 and looks more and more brittle every year. One good tag from any D lineman can put a significant injury to a tall, aging quarterback. Therefore, you might want to bone up on the stats your backup is boasting cause you might be closer to needing them then you readily accept.

As long as Brady's healthy, the Pats will win the division. Hell, they might win it if he goes down in week one again.

But just as I believe that, I believe the Jets remain ahead of the Bills. The Jets didn't have any trouble with Mario Williams when he was with the Texans, and I have a hard time believing that Dave Wannestedt makes him a better player. Watch Aaron Maybin have more sacks than Mario this year. I don't see Fitzpatrick as being any higher on the QB ladder than Sanchez. I think the Bills are the sexy pick, but sexy picks flame out all the time.

Jets didn't make the splashy moves they usually make, but they did add a lot of team speed where they needed it: at WR and the front seven. The loss of Brian Schottenheimer is addition by subtraction, and the defense is just going to be better.

Again, you cannot refute what I said.

Nothing the Jets have done has closed the gap.

The Patriots are absolute dogsh*t outside of Tom Brady. Unfortunately for the Jets as long as he's around and they don't have a legit QB of their own, the Pats will likely be better, but the rest of their team is still crappola (with perhaps the exception of TE). It is what it is, and of course all that really matters is the bottom line, but lets not pretend they're leaps and bounds better than anyone, it's just a matter of fact that QB is really that important.

I don't see Fitzpatrick as being any higher on the QB ladder than Sanchez.

That all depends on the month we're talking about. When September rolls around and he starts the season well, people will be drooling all over themselves about Fitzy again. Then by the time November rolls around he'll be back to sh*tting the bed for the last 2 months of the season as he does every year.

So, how do the Jets improve if they didn't add personnel at their weakest positions?

This may be one of the most asinine posts ever written on this board. So basically what you did was list a whole bunch of positions you said the Jets needed to address, then listed all of the ways the Jets actually did address them, but then went on to let us all know why YOU say that those moves don't count. And that somehow qualifies as them not doing anything about it? You can't possibly be serious with that nonsense.

The Patriots are absolute dogsh*t outside of Tom Brady. Unfortunately for the Jets as long as he's around and they don't have a legit QB of their own, the Pats will likely be better, but the rest of their team is still crappola (with perhaps the exception of TE). It is what it is, and of course all that really matters is the bottom line, but lets not pretend they're leaps and bounds better than anyone, it's just a matter of fact that QB is really that important.

Perhaps the exception of the tight end? Are you on drugs? He scored 17 TD's last year.

Again, you can discount the improvements the Jets made and wax eloquent about all those draft picks the Pats made until the rubber meets the road. As far as Brady being better than Sanchez - that's a given. Brady's a first round HOFer. But he is also 35 and looks more and more brittle every year. One good tag from any D lineman can put a significant injury to a tall, aging quarterback. Therefore, you might want to bone up on the stats your backup is boasting cause you might be closer to needing them then you readily accept.

So, trading for Tim Tebow was an improvement? Well ... whatever.

Seriously, what non-Jets fans see when they look at your team's off-season is a team that added more strength to the areas where it was already strong and barely addressed -- or not even addressed in some cases -- the areas where it had weaknesses or outright holes. What it looks like, to me at least, is that the Jets are going to be very unbalanced in terms of defense vs offense. They may very well have the #1 defense, but they may very well have the #32 offense, too.

What Ryan and Sparano claim to want for the offense would scare me if I was a Jets fan.

• They want the Jets to be a run-first team but the OL isn't as good as it was in 2009 or 2010, and Shonn Green simply isn't a starting caliber RB; he's too slow, isn't elusive, doesn't have great vision, etc. Like Wayne Hunter, he's a career backup elevated to starter by default. Minimally, to be a good run-first team the Jets would need either a better OL or a better RB.
  • Using Tebow extensively as a wildcat QB (with the play being used frequently) or playing HB or on the punt team seems to be asking to hamstring the offense. Maybe it's just Ryan talking out of his anal orifice as he's wont to do. Taking Sanchez out of the game frequently to have Tebow run the wildcat will not only telegraph what's coming, it will put Sanchez off his rhythm. Using Tebow as a HB will also telegraph that the wildcat's coming because he's simply NOT a good enough blocker for the play to be any play except a wildcat. Using Tebow on punts is setting him up to get injured. He's the backup QB, NOT a HB or ST ace.

As long as Brady's healthy, the Pats will win the division. Hell, they might win it if he goes down in week one again.

But just as I believe that, I believe the Jets remain ahead of the Bills. The Jets didn't have any trouble with Mario Williams when he was with the Texans, and I have a hard time believing that Dave Wannestedt makes him a better player. Watch Aaron Maybin have more sacks than Mario this year. I don't see Fitzpatrick as being any higher on the QB ladder than Sanchez. I think the Bills are the sexy pick, but sexy picks flame out all the time.

Jets didn't make the splashy moves they usually make, but they did add a lot of team speed where they needed it: at WR and the front seven. The loss of Brian Schottenheimer is addition by subtraction, and the defense is just going to be better.

They made the splashiest move in all of sports.

When Williams played in Houston, until last season, he was essentially the only guy on their DL that was a real pass rushing threat. He also played on the left side, which is the strong side of the offense (RT). Mario will still be primarily on the left side of the Bills' DL, so he'll get to play against Wayne Hunter, easily the most vulnerable player on the Jets OL. More importantly, the Bills have 2 excellent DTs in Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams in the middle as well as pass rushing DE, Mark Anderson, on the right side. It's the entire line that's going to be trouble for offensive lines not just any single player.

Drafting a pass-rushing DE was the only move that had any coherent thought surrounding it, and even that one is in question because of the player drafted. The Tebow trade told you absolutely everything you needed to know about the priorities of our beloved front office. It's about selling tickets and, if they happen to win a Super Bowl along the way, well, that's plenty fine, too.

This may be one of the most asinine posts ever written on this board. So basically what you did was list a whole bunch of positions you said the Jets needed to address, then listed all of the ways the Jets actually did address them, but then went on to let us all know why YOU say that those moves don't count. And that somehow qualifies as them not doing anything about it? You can't possibly be serious with that nonsense.

Is Wayne Hunter still the Jets starting RT?

Is Shonn Green still the Jets starting RB?

Who's the Jets' FS again?

When you expect a never-was (Schillens) or a rookie with 45 career receptions (Hill) to be an effective #2 WR, you are operating on wishful thinking. When you are depending upon a 6th or 7th round rookie to be an adequate starter at FS, you are downright delusional.

Archived