Q & A With CB Ellis Lankster

flgreen

Jets summer Q&A with cornerback Ellis Lankster

Published: Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 10:00 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

lanksterjpg-c08e894bc4693c08.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerEllis Lankster (right) has been working as the Jets' No. 4 cornerback.

Happy Fourth of July to all. Today's installment of the summer Q&A series is with cornerback Ellis Lankster, who spent the spring working behind Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson as the No. 4 cornerback -- a spot previously filled by Drew Coleman and Donald Strickland. Originally a seventh-round pick by the Bills in 2009, Lankster signed a future contract with the Jets in January 2011 and was brought back midseason. Lankster played in seven games last year and is working hard to play a bigger role in 2012.

What are your plans for the summer?

After mini-camp, I’m going to pick up my son (Ellis, Jr., age 5), and I’m going to bring him back to Alabama with me. After that, I’m going to spend time with him and train.

What are your expectations for the season?

I’m going to try to learn the defense; I’m not going to let my teammates down. Because Revis and Cromartie, they are expecting big things from me. And also Coach (Mike) Pettine, and my cornerbacks coach, Dennis Thurman, he’s expecting a lot out of me, too. I have to go home, work, get in my playbook and just keep pushing forward and just try to make everybody proud.

The coaches said you have been working as the No. 4 corner, is that correct?

Yes ma’am. I’m the No. 4 corner. I come in on passing downs, like second down and third down, as the fourth corner. So to me, to be the fourth corner on the Jets, that’s really good. You come in and my position includes sticking to tight ends and blitzing. So far, everything has been going good.

What have you most improved on in your time with the Jets?

I’ve improved on my patience of sticking to a wide receiver, and I’m learning more about the offenses in the NFL. I’m learning from Revis and Cromartie, and coach Dennis Thurman, so I mean, I’m learning a lot. I’m soaking it up and trying to take it to the field.

I think that this kid looked good when he played and during the preseason last year. He seems pretty tiny though. The Jets can use guys like that (see Trufant) because they are primarily concerned only with man cover skills, but it should make him a liability against TEs. It was also kind of interesting that he says he is the "fourth corner" a few times but never mentions Wilson. Lankster has basically been in the system for a full year. I'd hope he knows the D at least a little bit by now.

I think that this kid looked good when he played and during the preseason last year. He seems pretty tiny though. The Jets can use guys like that (see Trufant) because they are primarily concerned only with man cover skills, but it should make him a liability against TEs. It was also kind of interesting that he says he is the "fourth corner" a few times but never mentions Wilson. Lankster has basically been in the system for a full year. I'd hope he knows the D at least a little bit by now.

Well, Revis and Cro are the stars. He's probably eyeing Wilson's job

Archived