New York Knicks / Syracuse

F

6-10

3/24/84

Miami Heat / Georgia Tech

G

6-6

8/23/78

Los Angeles Lakers / Lower Merion H.S. (PA)

C

7-1

10/02/82

New York Knicks / Dominguez H.S. (CA)

G

6-10

3/11/92

New Orleans Hornets / Kentucky

G

6-9

9/29/88

Oklahoma City Thunder / Texas

F

6-8

8/17/86

Memphis Grizzlies / Connecticut

G

6-3

12/25/88

New Orleans Hornets / Indiana

F

6-10

03/16/89

Los Angeles Clippers / Oklahoma

G

6-5

8/26/89

Oklahoma City Thunder / Arizona State

G/F

6-6

1/28/84

Philadelphia 76ers / Arizona

F

6-8

12/30/84

Miami Heat / St. Vincent-St. Mary H.S. (OH)

F

6-10

9/07/88

Minnesota Timberwolves / UCLA

G

6-0

5/06/85

Los Angeles Clippers / Wake Forest

G

6-3

11/12/88

Oklahoma City Thunder / UCLA

G

6-3

7/26/84

Brooklyn Nets / Illinois

Managing Director:

Jerry Colangelo

Head Coach:

Mike Krzyzewski, Duke University

Assistant Coach:

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse University

Assistant Coach:

Mike D'Antoni

Assistant Coach:

Nate McMillan

Team Physician: Don Roberts, Portland Trail Blazers

Team Physician: Paul Saenz, San Antonio Spurs

Athletic Trainer: Joseph Sharpe, Oklahoma City Thunder

Athletic Trainer: Casey Smith, Dallas Mavericks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kobe was recently quoted as saying the 2012 team could beat the '92 Dream Team. Clearly absurd, but interesting to think about as well. No chance Tyson Chandler, the only true center on the roster, could handle Patrick Ewing and David Robinson. LeBron might be able to keep Magic in check, but no way Michael Jordan gets contained by Kobe.

Plus, who beats out Malone & Barkley for rebounds? Kevin Love?

Kobe was recently quoted as saying the 2012 team could beat the '92 Dream Team. Clearly absurd, but interesting to think about as well. No chance Tyson Chandler, the only true center on the roster, could handle Patrick Ewing and David Robinson. LeBron might be able to keep Magic in check, but no way Michael Jordan gets contained by Kobe.

At least I know thats where the thought came from. I was flipping through the stations and heard Mike Lupica saying the same thing and had no clue how that idea got in his head. I think its pretty crazy because the bigs on 1992 would destroy the bigs on this team. Ewing, Robinson, Barkley and Malone were all time players. Griffin, Chandler, and Bosh are nice players but none are at the stage these guys were in 1992 and will likely never get there. I guess the question is does the backcourt talent now, primarily at the point, eat up John Stockton and an old Magic and how much Lebron would beat up whomever 92 brought out to cover him. 92 Jordan would be better than young Durant and old Kobe, though. The only way Id see the 1992 team losing is if the current team was able to push the pace and just run them off the court not allowing the 92 squad to use their guys down low to draw foul after foul after foul on the overmatched current bigs.

it's all about the PG play

williams and cp3 in their primes > old magic and broken leg stockton

So, apparently Blake hurt his knee today and they've called The Brow to come in immediately.

He probably tried to cram it on DeMarcus Cousins and paid the price.

Probably not the worst thing that could happen. Davis being there gives us a backup center.

So, apparently Blake hurt his knee today and they've called The Brow to come in immediately.

He probably tried to cram it on DeMarcus Cousins and paid the price.

So pissed about that one. Was dying to see him pull a Frederic Weis (or a Mozgov) on Gasol on the international stage.

Pippen on Lebron would be fun to watch. I think the 92 team would physically beat the sh*t out of this team. Ewing and Barkley would cripple Bosh and Chandler, and Jordan would decapitate Kobe every time he put the ball on the floor.

Pippen on Lebron would be fun to watch. I think the 92 team would physically beat the sh*t out of this team. Ewing and Barkley would cripple Bosh and Chandler, and Jordan would decapitate Kobe every time he put the ball on the floor.

In fairness it depends on the rules that they play with. 92 rules Id agree. 2012 rules you would probably see alot of fouls being called when some of the guys got physical.

One of the other things that would be neat to see is how the older guys would have handled the size/athleticism combo you get from Durant, James, and Anthony. Jordan never saw a guy that could play like Durant at his height. The big guys are all the same and that hasnt really changed, but 6'10" shooting guards and physical marvels like Lebron are something the older group never played against. I still think its just a question of tempo. If you can slow the game down the 2012 squad doesnt stand a chance because nobody would know how to defend the 92 guys in the paint.

Kobe wouldn't pass the ball to prove how good he is vs the '92 team. '92 team could play zone.

In fairness it depends on the rules that they play with. 92 rules Id agree. 2012 rules you would probably see alot of fouls being called when some of the guys got physical.

One of the other things that would be neat to see is how the older guys would have handled the size/athleticism combo you get from Durant, James, and Anthony. Jordan never saw a guy that could play like Durant at his height. The big guys are all the same and that hasnt really changed, but 6'10" shooting guards and physical marvels like Lebron are something the older group never played against. I still think its just a question of tempo. If you can slow the game down the 2012 squad doesnt stand a chance because nobody would know how to defend the 92 guys in the paint.

Malone would only have Stockton to blame considering he invented Lebron's entire arsenal.

As much as I hated Stockton, I can sort of look past a guy who's 6'1", 175 lbs and looks more like a pharmacist than an athlete doing something to gain a competitive advantage.

When you're built like a tank and are the most talented human being to ever play the sport, not so much...

Yeah, as said, the 12 team wouldn't be able to contend with 92's size. Two genuine 7 footers who could rebound, block shots, and shoot midrange jumpers.

Best 5 of:

Ewing

Barkley

Bird

Jordan

Magic

vs.

LeBron

Durant

Melo

Kobe

Paul

Yes, if we went best 5 v. 5 you'd have to have LBJ play center because Tyson would foul out in the 1st 5 minutes guarding Ewing.

And the second 5:

Admiral

Malone

Pippen

Drexler

Stockton

vs.

Chandler

Love

Iggy

Westbrook

DWill

The 12 second team might keep it close by running, but they still wouldn't be able to take the lead.

The backbenchers:

St. Johns

Duke

vs.

Brow

Beard

Damn, the 92 team would probably win that matchup too.

The officiating would be interesting, for sure. International rules allow the zone, IIRC, which would be a field day for Ewing and Robinson. I'd love to see it.

Magic was done back then, was he not?

No. He just won the NBA title the year before and abruptly retired once he tested for HIV the November before the Olympics. Bird was done, however.

Without question, The Dream Team was better IMO, but the 2012 squad does have the disadvantage of playing against superior international talent.

The Dream Team didn't have to contend with facing NBA veterans in every game like Horfrod, Nene, the Gasols, Ibaka, Ginobli, Dirk, and Parker.

Lebron forced a lot of very bad shots. No one wanted to pass the ball.

LMAO did this guy even watch the game??? Lebron was the ONLY reason USA pulled away. BTW he shot over 50% for the game scoring 30 points on 20 shots. Melo 1-7, Durant 5-13, Kobe 3-11 and you chose to call out LeBron LOL.

LMAO did this guy even watch the game??? Lebron was the ONLY reason USA pulled away. BTW he shot over 50% for the game scoring 30 points on 20 shots. Melo 1-7, Durant 5-13, Kobe 3-11 and you chose to call out LeBron LOL.

I'm not calling him out he forced bad shots, he took a shot from the baseline behind the glass. They all chucked 3's. NO ONE MOVED THE BALL.

FYI I'm not a Lebron hater although he also had 5 turnovers to 1 assist.

Archived