Mariano Rivera Not Ruling Out A Return This Season

Maxman

NEW YORK -- Could Mariano Rivera be back on the mound by the end of the season? The Yankees aren't expecting the all-time saves leader to be ready before 2013, but Rivera isn't ruling out the possibility.

Rivera spoke optimistically about a September return in an interview on Monday with ESPN Radio's Michael Kay, addressing a published report that suggested his torn right ACL might not be a season-ending injury after all.

"That's my goal," Rivera said. "Definitely, that's my goal. I'm not thinking about it, because if it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed. So I'm taking it day by day. I'm working hard and doing what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to put something in my mind.

"I want to make sure that I do my things first. That's what I'm doing, that's the way I'm thinking. Day by day, positive, optimism.

Whatever the Lord will allow to happen, that will happen."

The New York Post reported last week that while Rivera's working theory is that he is out for the season, his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule. The Post quoted Dr. Keith Pyne, who is overseeing Rivera's rehab, as saying that "if I was putting money on it, I would put my money on Mo."

Rivera was injured on May 3 in Kansas City while shagging batting-practice fly balls. He did not undergo surgery until June 12 because of a blood clot in his right leg, but doctors have been impressed by how quickly he is recovering.

"I'm working. I'm feeling good," Rivera said. "That's all I can tell you. I feel good and the therapy is great. Everything is good. You have to continue working hard and wait to get on the field."

The 42-year-old Rivera was 1-1 with a 2.16 ERA and five saves this year. He has 608 career saves and said he has been tossing baseballs with his children, but will not guarantee that he'll be pitching to any big league hitters this season.

"I don't know," Rivera said. "I don't know. I can't answer that. I want to. I want to be there now. Only God knows."

I wouldn't put it past him. He's an all-time great and one of the few Yankees I respect.

It is weird because I want to say he is just a freak of nature. Seems impossible to come back this year, who could possibly do that. But he defies logic in a lot of ways.

That said his career was almost over before it started due to an injury.

Not having Mo wouldnt be the reason the Yanks don't win it all this year. He's 42, dont rush it.

Yanks have managed to have the best record in baseball without him.

I love Mo, and he's the best closer ever and a 1st ballot....but its an overrated position. Him going down sucked but I was never worried.

Not having Mo wouldnt be the reason the Yanks don't win it all this year. He's 42, dont rush it.

Yanks have managed to have the best record in baseball without him.

I love Mo, and he's the best closer ever and a 1st ballot....but its an overrated position. Him going down sucked but I was never worried.

So then let him come back. He doesn't have to close if he isn't ready. I just want him to get another ring. Let him get one this year and next year before he retires. I don't want Jeter getting too far ahead of him.

So then let him come back. He doesn't have to close if he isn't ready. I just want him to get another ring. Let him get one this year and next year before he retires. I don't want Jeter getting too far ahead of him.

He gets a ring if they win Max.

And if he does come back there's no way he isnt closing.

Soriano is locked in as the closer. He's a moron, the last thing we need is him getting pissed this year over something that's in actuality not that important. The save stat is beyond stupid...yet it means the world to these guys getting that S in the boxscore.

He gets a ring if they win Max.

And if he does come back there's no way he isnt closing.

Soriano is locked in as the closer. He's a moron, the last thing we need is him getting pissed this year over something that's in actuality not that important. The save stat is beyond stupid...yet it means the world to these guys getting that S in the boxscore.

I know he gets a ring. I just want him on the active roster. Andy, Mariano and Jeter add to the total. Posada weeps silently.

I don't think he'll be ready to come back this year. He may want to, but I don't see it happening .

It's hard to recuperate from an injury like that and be 100%.

If he does :love0030: he's more than a legend... he's a GOD lol

NEW YORK -- Could Mariano Rivera be back on the mound by the end of the season? The Yankees aren't expecting the all-time saves leader to be ready before 2013, but Rivera isn't ruling out the possibility.

Rivera spoke optimistically about a September return in an interview on Monday with ESPN Radio's Michael Kay, addressing a published report that suggested his torn right ACL might not be a season-ending injury after all.

"That's my goal," Rivera said. "Definitely, that's my goal. I'm not thinking about it, because if it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed. So I'm taking it day by day. I'm working hard and doing what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to put something in my mind.

"I want to make sure that I do my things first. That's what I'm doing, that's the way I'm thinking. Day by day, positive, optimism.

Whatever the Lord will allow to happen, that will happen."

The New York Post reported last week that while Rivera's working theory is that he is out for the season, his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule. The Post quoted Dr. Keith Pyne, who is overseeing Rivera's rehab, as saying that "if I was putting money on it, I would put my money on Mo."

Rivera was injured on May 3 in Kansas City while shagging batting-practice fly balls. He did not undergo surgery until June 12 because of a blood clot in his right leg, but doctors have been impressed by how quickly he is recovering.

"I'm working. I'm feeling good," Rivera said. "That's all I can tell you. I feel good and the therapy is great. Everything is good. You have to continue working hard and wait to get on the field."

The 42-year-old Rivera was 1-1 with a 2.16 ERA and five saves this year. He has 608 career saves and said he has been tossing baseballs with his children, but will not guarantee that he'll be pitching to any big league hitters this season.

"I don't know," Rivera said. "I don't know. I can't answer that. I want to. I want to be there now. Only God knows."

Derrick Rose injured his knee around the same time and is younger. He is not expected back until January (best case scenario).

Adrian Peterson injures his in December and is younger. They are not sure if he will be back by the first week.

Mariano has like 15 years on both and he is going to defy all known recovery times and come back 3 months after his surgery? Ummm okay. :rolleyes:

Derrick Rose injured his knee around the same time and is younger. He is not expected back until January (best case scenario).

Adrian Peterson injures his in December and is younger. They are not sure if he will be back by the first week.

Mariano has like 15 years on both and he is going to defy all known recovery times and come back 3 months after his surgery? Ummm okay. :rolleyes:

Yes because pitching an inning of relief is the same thing as carry a football 25 times in a game.

I am not saying it is going to happen. Just saying it is cool that he is even considering it.

being a Patriot fan shouldn't be an excuse for being dumb lol

D-Rose is a POINT GUARD. he runs up and down the court and runs into big men....Adrian Peterson is a running back who totes the rock 20 times a game

Mariano trots to the mound and throws pitches. No running and no physical pain.

D-Rose is a POINT GUARD. he runs up and down the court and runs into big men....Adrian Peterson is a running back who totes the rock 20 times a game

I'm not sure which knee he hurt but doesn't he either push off of it or land on it multiple times a game? Just asking because a pitchers legs are pretty important.

Don't call people dumb. I don't want to see you get banned again.

I'm not sure which knee he hurt but doesn't he either push off of it or land on it multiple times a game? Just asking because a pitchers legs are pretty important.

Yes because pitching an inning of relief is the same thing as carry a football 25 times in a game.

I am not saying it is going to happen. Just saying it is cool that he is even considering it.

What CC says.

While carrying the ball on the football field or on the court obviously has more repetitive movement, we are talking about a guy in his 40s being on the field in three months. Compared to players, albeit players that have more pounding on their knees in game, doing it in a third of the time. Adrian was running during OTAs and looking good, but the Vikings do not want to rush him for the opening game and he was 6 months removed from surgery.

Now, Mariano is saying he can do it 3 months? Again, okay.

You are still talking on average of 20 (?) pitches in an inning of relief. Placing all his weight on that leg and then driving forward. Yeah, he is not driving to the basket or cutting on field turf, but Mariano is still placing weight on, and twisting the knee when he pitches.

What CC says.

While carrying the ball on the football field or on the court obviously has more repetitive movement, we are talking about a guy in his 40s being on the field in three months. Compared to players, albeit players that have more pounding on their knees in game, doing it in a third of the time. Adrian was running during OTAs and looking good, but the Vikings do not want to rush him for the opening game and he was 6 months removed from surgery.

Now, Mariano is saying he can do it 3 months? Again, okay.

You are still talking on average of 20 (?) pitches in an inning of relief. Placing all his weight on that leg and then driving forward. Yeah, he is not driving to the basket or cutting on field turf, but Mariano is still placing weight on, and twisting the knee when he pitches.

This is improbable. But everything about Mariano is improbable.

He is like 167lbs. That has to make the comeback a bit easier I would think. (I am not sure what he actually weighs but you get the point).

I'll redo what i meant: it is foolish to compare NFL and NBA to MLB.

I believe if Mariano does come back he will be 100% healthy (or at least 95%) and that he and the Yankees know what he is doing.

i highly doubt the Yankees will let him just come back for no reason lol

This is improbable. But everything about Mariano is improbable.

He is like 167lbs. That has to make the comeback a bit easier I would think. (I am not sure what he actually weighs but you get the point).

Maybe and being an athlete probably helps.

If he was a DH, yes than maybe he could comeback and Kirk Gibson it.

However, a pitcher relies on their legs even if it is for an inning. There has to be a reason no one has comeback that quick from a torn ACL.

If I am wrong, irregardless of sport, please let me know someone that came back 3 months after surgery and played. I think you can find 100% athletes that want to, but none that did.

Mariano deserves to go out on his terms. Hopefully, it is next season after another full season.

Maybe and being an athlete probably helps.

If he was a DH, yes than maybe he could comeback and Kirk Gibson it.

However, a pitcher relies on their legs even if it is for an inning. There has to be a reason no one has comeback that quick from a torn ACL.

If I am wrong, irregardless of sport, please let me know someone that came back 3 months after surgery and played. I think you can find 100% athletes that want to, but none that did.

Mariano deserves to go out on his terms. Hopefully, it is next season after another full season.

I would like him back this year for the ring and next year to go out on his terms with the back to back. That would be sweet, he deserves it.

I would like him back this year for the ring and next year to go out on his terms with the back to back. That would be sweet, he deserves it.

He does deserve back-to-back AL East titles. ;)

Archived