SenorGato

2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

Epstein says they're shooting for the division next year. 

For FAs...Multi year deal guys:

Andrew Miller

James Shields

Francisco Liriano

One year deals:

Joakim Soria

Jesse Crain

Liriano Alternate on a one year: JA Happ

Backup C: Jeff Mathis

Get him if they don't pick up the option: Span, Zobrist (both options will almost definitely be picked up)

I'd be for signing Brandon McCarthy depending on what kind of contract he wants.

Joe Maddon was electric during his press conference. I don't expect anything huge anymore, but this should be an exciting offseason. Lester, Andrew Miller, maybe a Liriano or Shields...damn do I want to trade for Hamels.

Joe Maddon was electric during his press conference. I don't expect anything huge anymore, but this should be an exciting offseason. Lester, Andrew Miller, maybe a Liriano or Shields...damn do I want to trade for Hamels.

Dude - how refreshing to listen to someone that doesn't talk out of their rectal cavity and give canned responses based on a perception of what the audience wants to hear.

I've drank the kool-aid and projectile vomited it out many times - just drank a big ole pitcher of it again.

How bout matter of fact comments like this ... "you have to have a decent relationship with someone before you offer them constructive criticism if you want it to be constructive"   .. 

I think Joe may have the Zen thing figured without putting a robe on and studying it. 

A good day for Cubs baseball.

Cubbies are in on Russel Martin according to mlbtraderumors.com

A weakness addressed with nothing compelling in the system either.

He, hopefully, will be able to contribute till it's soup and for a couple after if we're lucky.

I'm expecting to land Martin at this point. Castillo is best used as a backup, and Martin's patience, defense, and pitch framing are clear upgrades. Martin might be among the last catchers you can steal - the numbers I'm hearing are very, very reasonable (something like 4/60-68). The price is only going to go up as pitch framing catches on with the mainstream, and waiting even a year for someone like Wieters (a player I really like) could prove to be costly.

BTW: A FA steal in baseball requires thought as it's never obvious in the ways a min salary superstar is.

BREAKING NEWS:

Cubs Looking to Extend Epstein's Laurels?

The Cubs seem to be interested in getting at least one more offseason out of Epstein's past success with the Red Sox. The deal being discussed would be a one year deal with a team option for 2016. No word yet on the dollars, but it is likely to be the first contract ever handed out that will not be labeled an overpay.

A spokesman for the club delivered a statement this afternoon. "Prospect prospects right deal flexibility future long term. Aw *****, all these rules."

While the Cubs look at other top FAs like Jon Lester, Maximum Scherzer, and Jim Shields, the word is that they may favor bringing back the fan favorite. Long exalted for it's ability to hold off bad press and placate fan expectations, the the laurels were thought to have been on the way out as recently as two days ago.

BREAKING NEWS:

Cubs Looking to Extend Epstein's Laurels?

The Cubs seem to be interested in getting at least one more offseason out of Epstein's past success with the Red Sox. The deal being discussed would be a one year deal with a team option for 2016. No word yet on the dollars, but it is likely to be the first contract ever handed out that will not be labeled an overpay.

A spokesman for the club delivered a statement this afternoon. "Prospect prospects right deal flexibility future long term. Aw *****, all these rules."

While the Cubs look at other top FAs like Jon Lester, Maximum Scherzer, and Jim Shields, the word is that they may favor bringing back the fan favorite. Long exalted for it's ability to hold off bad press and placate fan expectations, the the laurels were thought to have been on the way out as recently as two days ago.

What drug addled mind wrote this?

“It seems more palatable to just say: ‘Hey, let’s just go the extra year on a free-agent contract,’” Epstein said. “Because the potential burn factor is four years down the line, five years down the line.

“Whereas the prospect, there’s an emotional connection to him. He’s tangible. He’s right here. You’ve just seen him play. You know how talented he is.

“But in the long run, as we all know, not all prospects work out. And usually you don’t like that extra year that you gave the free agent. Those chickens always come home to roost.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/money...elite-pitching

Shut up about it and just make a Hamels trade.

Looks like Lester's choices are down to the Cubs and Giants. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and prepared the Jack Daniels/Clorax cocktail I'm going to drink for when he signs with San Francisco.

Looks like Lester's choices are down to the Cubs and Giants. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and prepared the Jack Daniels/Clorax cocktail I'm going to drink for when he signs with San Francisco.

I tend to believe this due to Boston's dropping the ball last off season, but it is being reported Boston is still in play.

Now lets trade for Hamels and Zobrist

By 2016:

Montero/Castillo? C

Rizzo 1B

Castro 2B/SS

Russell SS/2B

Bryant 3B

Zobrist LF/RF

Soler RF/LF

Heyward CF

Lester

Price

Hamels

Arrieta

Zobrist? Meh. Only if the price were really nice. A similar deal to the Montero one, sure. Giving up prospects of any significance? No way.

Would much prefer Cespedes. Don't really see that as being a match, however, since the Sox need pitching, being as how the ******* CHICAGO CUBS SIGNED JON LESTER! We're back, baby! Hey, Chicago, whaddya say?!

Zobrist? Meh. Only if the price were really nice. A similar deal to the Montero one, sure. Giving up prospects of any significance? No way.

Would much prefer Cespedes. Don't really see that as being a match, however, since the Sox need pitching, being as how the ******* CHICAGO CUBS SIGNED JON LESTER! We're back, baby! Hey, Chicago, whaddya say?!

Zobrist is a significantly better player and hitter than Montero. I'd give up a piece for him, but the Cubs' leverage is that he's a FA next year.

Zobrist is a significantly better player and hitter than Montero. I'd give up a piece for him, but the Cubs' leverage is that he's a FA next year.

The appeal of Montero is his pitch framing ability. We didn't pursue him for his offense, which is mediocre, but decent for a catcher. I would not be happy if we gave up a top ten guy in the organization for Zobrist. Less than that, fine, but that kind of assumes a Baez trade and I don't want to give up on him yet unless it leads to a major piece.

The appeal of Montero is his pitch framing ability. We didn't pursue him for his offense, which is mediocre, but decent for a catcher. I would not be happy if we gave up a top ten guy in the organization for Zobrist. Less than that, fine, but that kind of assumes a Baez trade and I don't want to give up on him yet unless it leads to a major piece.

Bold: None of this explains why you wouldn't give up significant prospects for Zobrist. Zobrist is also a top notch defensive player who has made positive defensive contributions at every non-C/P position on the diamond. He even played CF for the MLB team during their trip to Japan this year.

You're not giving up Baez for Zobrist. That has zero shot at happening. Not every top 10 Cubs prospect is a Baez either. In fact, the Cubs probably have a system where Baez is kind of the fulcrum - before him you're either way better (or just outright better) than him and after him you're a way worse bet. Anyway - back to the point - Zobrist does not cost a Baez and is most definitely worth a significant haul. Guy's been one of the best all around players in baseball since 2009 and has only slowed down in the sense that he stopped putting up 8+ rWAR seasons.

Bold: None of this explains why you wouldn't give up significant prospects for Zobrist. Zobrist is also a top notch defensive player who has made positive defensive contributions at every non-C/P position on the diamond. He even played CF for the MLB team during their trip to Japan this year.

You're not giving up Baez for Zobrist. That has zero shot at happening. Not every top 10 Cubs prospect is a Baez either. In fact, the Cubs probably have a system where Baez is kind of the fulcrum - before him you're either way better (or just outright better) than him and after him you're a way worse bet. Anyway - back to the point - Zobrist does not cost a Baez and is most definitely worth a significant haul. Guy's been one of the best all around players in baseball since 2009 and has only slowed down in the sense that he stopped putting up 8+ rWAR seasons.

Zobrist will be 34 next season. He's no longer a 20/20 threat, as his power and speed numbers have both been basically chopped in half since his age 31 season. This is not an in his prime Ben Zobrist. This is a Beb Zobrist that is already in his decline phase. I don't really see how he's much of an upgrade to Valbuena, aside from about 8 extra steals, a name, and the ability to play some corner outfield.

Zobrist will be 34 next season. He's no longer a 20/20 threat, as his power and speed numbers have both been basically chopped in half since his age 31 season. This is not an in his prime Ben Zobrist. This is a Beb Zobrist that is already in his decline phase. I don't really see how he's much of an upgrade to Valbuena, aside from about 8 extra steals, a name, and the ability to play some corner outfield.

- 34 is not a reason to not acquire a player. He's on a one year deal anyway, and is a FA next year. He's a virtual lock to be good enough to reject a QO and net the Cubs a first if he were to leave.

- His ~115 OPS+ over the past two seasons would have been 2nd behind Rizzo on the Cubs over that time span.

- Cubs would not be buying his power but rather his patience, defensive versatility, contact skills, and skills as a LH and switch hitter. The one thing the Cubs do have is power - they've hit the second most HRs in the NL over the past 2 seasons.

-  His .354 OBP, with a pitcher's park as his home park, would be 2nd on the Cubs in 2013 and 2014.

- Ben Zobrist's decline phase is pretty good. Baseball Reference has him at 9.8 rWAR over the past two years while FanGraphs has him at 11.1 fWAR. His .334 wOBA in 2013-2014 would be second on the Cubs.

- It's your fault/problem if you can't see how he's an upgrade to Valbuena, but Valbuena has nothing to do with this anyway. While he is a better player than Valbuena, clearly and easily by any metric, he would play the OF and maybe some 2B/SS. IIRC 3B is his worst position, though he's capable of a spot start there.

- Zobrist was playing CF as recently as a month ago. Cubs happen to need a CF who can get on base and not strike out in front of their big power guys who will strikeout.

- 34 is not a reason to not acquire a player. He's on a one year deal anyway, and is a FA next year. He's a virtual lock to be good enough to reject a QO and net the Cubs a first if he were to leave.

- His ~115 OPS+ over the past two seasons would have been 2nd behind Rizzo on the Cubs over that time span.

- Cubs would not be buying his power but rather his patience, defensive versatility, contact skills, and skills as a LH and switch hitter. The one thing the Cubs do have is power - they've hit the second most HRs in the NL over the past 2 seasons.

- His .354 OBP, with a pitcher's park as his home park, would be 2nd on the Cubs in 2013 and 2014.

- Ben Zobrist's decline phase is pretty good. Baseball Reference has him at 9.8 rWAR over the past two years while FanGraphs has him at 11.1 fWAR. His .334 wOBA in 2013-2014 would be second on the Cubs.

- It's your fault/problem if you can't see how he's an upgrade to Valbuena, but Valbuena has nothing to do with this anyway. While he is a better player than Valbuena, clearly and easily by any metric, he would play the OF and maybe some 2B/SS. IIRC 3B is his worst position, though he's capable of a spot start there.

- Zobrist was playing CF as recently as a month ago. Cubs happen to need a CF who can get on base and not strike out in front of their big power guys who will strikeout.

I don't feel like writing a novella, so I'll just boil it down for you. I have zero interest in giving up anything substantial for a one year rental of a declining 34 year old player. As I said previously, I'd be okay giving up a similar package to the one that netted Montero. However, this is all likely a moot point. You really think the Rays of all teams are going to be willing to negotiate with the Cubs? They're slightly pissed at us.

I don't feel like writing a novella, so I'll just boil it down for you. I have zero interest in giving up anything substantial for a one year rental of a declining 34 year old player. As I said previously, I'd be okay giving up a similar package to the one that netted Montero. However, this is all likely a moot point. You really think the Rays of all teams are going to be willing to negotiate with the Cubs? They're slightly pissed at us.

That you actually buy thinking Zobrist is on the same tier or lower than Luis Valbuena and Montero should have indicated that I'm wasting my time here.

Technically he is declining - from an 8+ WAR player to a 5 WAR player who should be a lock for 4+ WAR in 2015 if healthy....Woooe be he, can't work with that!

I don't think the Rays care who they trade with so long as the talent is match. Cubs have the pieces to make something happen without dipping into their elite guys.

That you actually buy thinking Zobrist is on the same tier or lower than Luis Valbuena and Montero should have indicated that I'm wasting my time here.

Technically he is declining - from an 8+ WAR player to a 5 WAR player who should be a lock for 4+ WAR in 2015 if healthy....Woooe be he, can't work with that!

I don't think the Rays care who they trade with so long as the talent is match. Cubs have the pieces to make something happen without dipping into their elite guys.

Valbuena 2014 OPS+: 114

Zobrist 2014 OPS+: 115

Nope. Not at all comparable players.

Valbuena 2014 OPS+: 114

Zobrist 2014 OPS+: 115

Nope. Not at all comparable players.

Zobrist: 146 G/ 146 starts at 6 different positions/ 5 rWAR/ 5.7 fWAR

Valbuena: 149 G/ 149 starts at 2 different positions/ 1.7 rWAR/ 2.7 fWAR

Once again - they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Zobrist made 0 starts at 3B last year.