2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

35 minutes ago, The Troll said:

I don't know that it's getting better. Arrieta is in the midst of a complete implosion. Hopefully Lackey and Hendricks keep coming around. Pitching was what I was worried about to begin with. Regression was inevitable from last year.

We've gotta get this sh*t together. Six division games this week against teams that are FAR inferior on paper. All heads out of asses, please.

Minus the 2 homers yesterday - Jake look pretty good. Better than he has.

Lester regressed a little after a great start against the Yanks. 

Butler threw amazingly well but we shouldn't count on that going forward.

Scouts better be earning their money by getting that extra look/see at as many arms as they can over the next 6 weeks.

Another factor - Cubbies are 3rd in errors committed in the game (30) and a few of them have cost games.

Additionally - they are tracking to only produce 20 Defensive Runs Saved on 2017 when 82 was last years number.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's May.   Just be in the hunt and healthy.

Right?

Inexperience was supposed to be the reason the lineup wouldn't win it all last year. Not even a month and a half for it to come up again, but this doom and gloom nonsense is last June/July all over again.

14 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Right?

Inexperience was supposed to be the reason the lineup wouldn't win it all last year. Not even a month and a half for it to come up again, but this doom and gloom nonsense is last June/July all over again.

Nobody's spreading doom and gloom  -  simply discussing the current state of the team. 

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's May.   Just be in the hunt and healthy.

That's the plan Rob. I know it's mid May but its a quarter of the way into the season as well - definitely some bad plate mojo going on throughout the order at the moment but it won't last - universally anyway.

We were very lucky only missing 2 starts by starters last season so we're due some downtime at some point (not looking at Anderson as a real starter)

Starting pitching is coming around and they've already gotten some good work out of the AAA arms they've brought up.

The big question is how close can those arms come to winning the 103 games they did last year. Already know they'll be a bit off of it - how much remains to be seen.   

41 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Forget about it ; you guys shot your load last year .

:Shrugs: Not a bad way to do it

Imagine if the Cubs shot it by losing the WS at home, just avoiding a sweep, and then breaking the whole starting rotation almost immediately after? That would be some sh*t.

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

So with Happ hitting and Heyward possibly back at the end of the week, maybe a pitching trade comes sooner rather than later?

Small sample size - but it does give them a ton of versatility with him in the line-up and could make at least one player expendable.

I'd hate to see it only because he's so likable with a glove on, but Javy could be that guy.

Theo et. al. know there's holes in his swing and although he's still very young and could patch some of them - they've got to give up somebody.

Happ's best work since he's been here are the 4 walks he's coaxed. They knew the kid could hit but he's worked some admirable plate appearances ending with a BB.

if somehow Happ stays up after J-Hey gets back - we could have some 8 lefty batter evenings.

If they stuck Happ at shortstop and let Miggy catch Lester - we could bat the whole lineup lefty - and you know Joe would just love to put that show on -even if for just once through the order.

• 2 weeks later...

Isaac Paredes since May 9: .303/.350/.406 with an 8.75% K rate in 80 PAs

I don't particularly care to split seasons up and he's doing fine overall for an 18 YO SS in full season ball. Still, this was nice to notice. Prooooobably my favorite prospect on the farm right now along with Jimenez. 

Excited to see what Seth Frankoff does for the Cubs after getting called up.  He pitched at my alma mater, UNCW, from 2007-10.  Bounced from the A's to the Dodgers and then the Cubs systems over the subsequent 7 years and now gets the call up at 28 years old.  He's been killing it at AAA Iowa. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Excited to see what Seth Frankoff does for the Cubs after getting called up.  He pitched at my alma mater, UNCW, from 2007-10.  Bounced from the A's to the Dodgers and then the Cubs systems over the subsequent 7 years and now gets the call up at 28 years old.  He's been killing it at AAA Iowa. 

One of my son's teammates in travel ball will be playing shortstop at your alma mater. He is a 2018 grad.

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2017 at 11:55 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Short trip 80 - he got his feet wet. Lets hope he continues to mow'em down in Iowa.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

2 out of three baby ; Thank Mr Rondon for me .

All it cost was a DL trip for Harvey and Walker plus at least four more weeks of no Syndergaard. So is this the highlight of the decade for the Mets or is it still beating the Cubs on the way to losing the WS to the Royals at home? 

A few things from the Cubs' draft:

- Alex Lange might be a legit SP prospect. He checks many boxes for me - lots of innings, lots of Ks, very hard to hit, high pedigree, no major arm injuries or surgeries...Fingers cross, I guess, because the SP prospects on the farm blow.

- Brendan Little could be the Paco Rodriguez/Brendan Finnegan of this draft, first guy in their drafts to make the majors. There's a need for a power LH reliever, and his fastball/curveball combo would fit the bill should he not sh*t the bed in the minors next year.

- Jeremiah Estrada and Ricky Tyler Thomas were two sleepers I really liked before the draft, both picked by the Cubs. Thomas is LH and reminds me of Tony Sipp. Lots of Ks, pulled groundballs, and popups in college from him. Estrada fell all the way to the 6th for non-injury reasons. I'm a little down on him for that, but Lange being better than I thought as a prospect makes up for it.

- They added yet another 17 YO switch hitter. They've drafted and/or signed a half dozen+ of these guys over the past 2-3 years, mostly IFAs.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

A few things from the Cubs' draft:

- Alex Lange might be a legit SP prospect. He checks many boxes for me - lots of innings, lots of Ks, very hard to hit, high pedigree, no major arm injuries or surgeries...Fingers cross, I guess, because the SP prospects on the farm blow.

- Brendan Little could be the Paco Rodriguez/Brendan Finnegan of this draft, first guy in their drafts to make the majors. There's a need for a power LH reliever, and his fastball/curveball combo would fit the bill should he not sh*t the bed in the minors next year.

- Jeremiah Estrada and Ricky Tyler Thomas were two sleepers I really liked before the draft, both picked by the Cubs. Thomas is LH and reminds me of Tony Sipp. Lots of Ks, pulled groundballs, and popups in college from him. Estrada fell all the way to the 6th for non-injury reasons. I'm a little down on him for that, but Lange being better than I thought as a prospect makes up for it.

- They added yet another 17 YO switch hitter. They've drafted and/or signed a half dozen+ of these guys over the past 2-3 years, mostly IFAs.

Are you on the Cubbies payroll ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Troll said:

What the **** is wrong with this team?

This is the 2011 Jets without the cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that baseball is now the toughest sport to repeat. Pitchers have such an extra toll going through a post-season run, it always seems difficult for them to bounce bak the year after.

Those that try to yell "dynasty" are fools in this sport.

Remember how last June or July the Cubs totally definitely sucked? The hitters lacked arbitrary levels of experience and the team lacked enough aces to stand up to the might of the WS runner up Mets? Pretty much the same sh*t except the Mets broke their whole team since that WS loss and the Cubs have a buy a SP rather than closer this year 

Btw I love the handling of Montero. He had some great moments with the org but has been whining for a while now and had to go. It shows this FO is willing to do some drastic sh*t. I don't think this team needs much to get back on track, a pitcher or two and I wouldn't complain about an OF, but what does need to get done should be loud and impactful if they plan to hold off the Nats or Dodgers this year. 

18 hours ago, The Troll said:

What the **** is wrong with this team?

This is the 2011 Jets without the cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came back and won one from Dusty's powerhouse tonight which is good for a split at their house.

Starting pitching is hurting badly with Hendricks out, Lackey having a good outing every 2.5 times he takes the mound and Arrieta looking lost more times than hes looking good.

Maddon is smart using Davis sparingly - if he goes down we need not think about going anywhere in the post season as there's nothing close to another closer in that pen.

Then surround all that with the 3rd worst average in the league with runners in scoring position  ...

I would like to see Joe change his tune and get the guys slumping at the plate some additional BP  - it doesn't appear the thinking or wishing their way out of slumps is working real well.

We will pick up some pitching before the trade deadline but I don't think these guys pull it together this year to repeat of even go very deep.

Not concerned - there's a ton of talent on board and plenty in the wings that wont get dealt to finance the acquisition of some arms. 

10 hours ago, NJ said:

Came back and won one from Dusty's powerhouse tonight which is good for a split at their house.

Starting pitching is hurting badly with Hendricks out, Lackey having a good outing every 2.5 times he takes the mound and Arrieta looking lost more times than hes looking good.

Maddon is smart using Davis sparingly - if he goes down we need not think about going anywhere in the post season as there's nothing close to another closer in that pen.

Then surround all that with the 3rd worst average in the league with runners in scoring position  ...

I would like to see Joe change his tune and get the guys slumping at the plate some additional BP  - it doesn't appear the thinking or wishing their way out of slumps is working real well.

We will pick up some pitching before the trade deadline but I don't think these guys pull it together this year to repeat of even go very deep.

Not concerned - there's a ton of talent on board and plenty in the wings that wont get dealt to finance the acquisition of some arms. 

The one thing you guys have going for you is the Division this year.  With all the struggles and injuries so far this year, still only a game behind Milwaukee.  It is really hard to take them seriously as a contender since they have not been able to add any separation during this last month.  This was the chance for the Brewers to show they are for real and put some pressure on the Cubs.  They haven't done it.  

Still think the Cubs win the Division comfortably and once you get in the postseason, anything is possible.

12 hours ago, NJ said:

Also keep in mind that there are 4 teams in the NL on track to win 100 games. That is absolutely not ******* happening.

Jeremy Schapp was trying to call the Cubs' brass "villanous" for cutting Miguel Montero.

Totally disagree with that assessment.  You DO.  NOT.  Rip on your own pitching staff to a reporter.  Especially when Montero has one of the worst "pop times" (time from pitch caught to ball reaching the base) in all of MLB. 

If I'm a Cubs fan I'm saying "Good riddance, GTFO".  And good friggin luck getting a job elsewhere anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

Nice to occasionally weigh in on the SenorGato, I mean Cubs thread.

Somebody wiser than me said - Now I understand the giants every other year thing a little better.

Pitching is killing us. Jake showed what he can be today, but can he give us that consistently? It's easy to predict Jake and Lackey gone next year. The Pen? Let's end the Stropdon experience. These guys need to go. Davis and Edwards are the keepers. The others? We just need a consistent bridge between starter and setup.

• Upvote 1