2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

1 hour ago, NJ said:

I was there dude - Joe never should have taken him out. 

The momentum turned 180 and was at fever pitch when he pulled him .. and we saw the rest of the story 

Yeah I didn't get it either and neither did Lester it seemed. Also Edwards Jr. telegraphed a bad night coming almost immediately all year, did it again, and yeah all that stuff happened. :shrugs:

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah so watching Harper come up consistently short in coulda been heroic situations was deeeeeeeeeeelicious. 

His stat line was damn near identical to Murphy's who seems to have retired from his role as Cub Killer. 

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Congrats to Cubbie fans (well, at least most of them that act like humans). 

Consistent failures by the National organization that just seems to choke consistently. I am sure the Nats thought that they had it with Scherzer coming in relief, and he just flat out spit the bit.

Dodger series will be interesting. Good luck!

Thanks Dierk. It's going to be a real interesting to see what rabbits Maddon can pull out of hats and create a bull pen in LA. 

And that's after he gets some starters rested and ready. 

After this last show in Washington I'll believe anything.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2017 at 8:34 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Congrats to Cubbie fans (well, at least most of them that act like humans). 

Scccccoooooottttaaaaaaaaay...Where you been all year, you human you? Probably busy super busy being human but your hundreds of steaming hot takes/bits were missed! 

I suppose I shouldn't concede the series, but there's worse things than losing to a team that was legitimately better all year. At least it's not 2015 where they ran into an inferior team that happened to be hot at the right time.

The beauty of having a Bryant and Rizzo is that the Cubs are here to stay. The team basically slept their way to the NLCS this year and haven't gotten the BABIP inflated seasons recent nominally stronger offenses (2016 Red Sox for instance) have gotten. Bryant somehow got better this year, guys just on a different level from non-Trouts. 

Otani, Britton, and a starting OF, please!! Just keep piling on this roster, goddamn beautiful thing. 

I never saw this one during the summer:

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/7/16/15979550/mlb-trade-rumors-blue-jays-marcus-stroman-cubs

The Toronto Blue Jays were seeking a major-league player from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for starting pitcher Marcus Stroman in talks before the Cubs acquired Jose Quintana, according to Peter Gammons.

Please make it happen!

Hickey and Davis bring some pedigree to the coaching staff, guys with a ton of high level experience. I love that Hickey was the PC when the Astros fielded that loaded Clemens/Pettitte/Oswalt/Lidge staff in the mid-2000s as well as that mom and pop bakery in TB. 

Now please go get Stroman or Archer and a post-hype arm like Daniel Norris! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Morrow on a badass contract for both sides.

His relatively limited relief resume tells me Theo and crew aren't looking at him as the "Davis not resigning" hedge fund.

We need him, Wade back, another decent WHIP guy, and Wilson to come back strong. 

If we don't get at least 3 of the 4 things listed above - it will be another short post season, if any.

• 2 weeks later...

Willson Contreras’ second half last year (150 PAs):

.305/.407/.586 with a 17.3% K rate (14.7% BBs)

The plate discipline is very reminiscent of the hitter he was in AA and AAA. Along with Bryant and Rizzo, he’s another one I think has his biggest year to date. I don’t see him carrying a .281 IsoSLG but that plate discipline might be legit. 

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yankees are paying Stanton less than the Cubs are paying Heyward this year..

Shucks, the all important $/run and win on the roster is off! 

Cubs are paying Bryant and Rizzo, two perrenial MVP candidates, less than half of what the Yankees are paying Stanton. :confetti cannon:

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Shucks, the all important $/run and win on the roster is off! 

Cubs are paying Bryant and Rizzo, two perrenial MVP candidates, less than half of what the Yankees are paying Stanton. :confetti cannon:

Ditto judge and Sanchez. Not exactly apples to apples. Pointless to compare guys in rookie contracts to veterans. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Regardless, my point was Heyward was a terrible singing from day 1. I compared it to ellsbury who I also hated got sh*t for saying that on here. I won’t let anyone forget I was right. Lol

I mean they literally won the WS that year. Couldn’t be that bad? :shrugs: The obsession with these guys’ salaries...

On 12/27/2017 at 10:18 PM, Tyler Durden said:

No thanks to Heyward who couldn’t possibly of been any worse in that postseason 

:shrugs: Like I said, guess that throws off the team’s extremely vital $/run or wins. Pretty sure he was a major part of the 2016’s historic defensive performance anyway. 

On 12/27/2017 at 9:18 PM, Tyler Durden said:

No thanks to Heyward who couldn’t possibly of been any worse in that postseason 

Except for when he wasn't .. like when he pulled the team together in the rain delay (because thats something Maddon doesn't do) and got their heads on right to come back out and win game 7 which, as you may be aware, was The World Series Championship Game. Yep, totally intangible but totally necessary.

Just like giving up "too much" for a rental like Chapman - all those pieces won the Cubs the WS in 2016.

That was a bad contract for the Cubs based on year 1 - .259/.326 with only 67 K's in year 2 is trending back to his .365 + OBP when he joined the team.

His defense makes that money solid if his plate number keep trending up.   

2 hours ago, NJ said:

The Cubs will rue the day they let Wade Davis walk and didn't better the 3 years @ $17mm from the Rockies - you heard it here first.

I actually have inside info on this. He was never going back to Chicago. He didn't like it there. He's a country boy who likes to hunt. He's married to my co workers niece. I knew he was going to the Rockies 2 days before it was announced. 

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthread.php/137545-2017-2018-Hot-Stove-Thread?p=8434017&viewfull=1#post8434017

Cubs got a stud reliver and now a 3rd round draft pick out of the goose egg that is Jorge Soler so far, and I am liking this upcoming draft. 

I appreciate Davis, badass reliever, but had no serious interest in bringing him back. There are too many FA and trade targets coming up that make committing $17+ over multiple years to a 30+ reliever less than desirable. Next when Kimbrel, Britton, and Miller hit FA and I think the Cubs get one of those to solve the closer “issue” for multiple years. I really really like Kimbrel. 

OTOH really like what the Rockies are doing. The bullpen is deep, the lineup is loaded, and they have baseball’s more well hidden stud SP coming back in Jon Gray. It’s still a pretty liquid roster should everything go to heck or worse. 

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I actually have inside info on this. He was never going back to Chicago. He didn't like it there. He's a country boy who likes to hunt. He's married to my co workers niece. I knew he was going to the Rockies 2 days before it was announced. 

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthread.php/137545-2017-2018-Hot-Stove-Thread?p=8434017&viewfull=1#post8434017

Thats good info  - thanks dude - makes me feel better about our guys making decisions.

All the talk here in town was that the club would not have a problem with 17 over 3 for him so I was major bummed when the news broke.

Cubs picked up some good pieces with Morrow and Cishek but needed 3 good relief arms going into the off season and lost their best.

So net net we're down one and a viable experienced closer. Grimm needs to be DFA'd and Strop is only safe with a few run lead - would be elated if we could get a 5th rounder for him.

I'm fine with them sticking with what they have starter wise but they better not be done shopping for pen help.

Today's game is a relief pitcher chess match and we dont have enough knights - yet.  

I think every great team needs an ace reliever but today’s game is most definitely not a battle of bullpens. Just this year LA’s bullpen was deeper and better, Jansen’s one of the two best relievers in baseball behind Kimbrel, and they still lost to Houston. Chapman gave up the game tying HR in game 7.

• 2 weeks later...

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/cubs-eyeing-own-network-after-2019-season.html

The Cubs’ TV contracts with NBC Sports Chicago, ABC-7 and WGN-9 expire after the 2019 season, which presents an opportunity to create their own regional sports network. As Gonzales writes, Cubs owner Tom Ricketts has been eyeing such a venture since he bought the team in 2009, eager to break away from sharing TV revenues with the White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks in Chicago. All four of the city’s teams currently own a 20 percent share in NBC Sports Chicago. But the Cubs prefer an arrangement under which they wouldn’t have to share anything.