2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

Was certain we were going to see Schlitter toss away another one tonight - but no - he did what he's supposed to do by forcing a couple ground outs. 

Castro clutch again - great to hear from Madden that the kid isn't even close to thinking he knows it all after 5 seasons up.

it's nice to be on the right side of walk-off's more times than not.

Not used to it - but could get that way and enjoy it.

Well that's not why, it's because he can't play defense. Three passed balls in only 7 games as a C so far this year, three in his really short time in Daytona, one in his really short time at KC last year. I have no doubts that his bat can get him to the show.

Doubt no more - Designated Hitter for the Chicago Cubs National League Baseball Team  - Kyle Schwarber.

6 games only then he's down to AAA, but if he continues to hit - they're going to find something for him to do full time at Clark and Addison.

I want to see him play one of the corners during this callup. Great match ups for him with the high velocity RH heavy Indians SP staff besides Marcum, then some meatball fastballs from the Twins staff (looking at your Phil Hughes).

This old Epstein quote is awesome:

"We've studied the history of deadline deals. The ones that actually help you win are the ones where you actually acquire an impact player. Trading prospects we really like that have a bright future and are really going to help us for a spare part or two probably isn't the way to go. At the same time, I think the 25th player is a very important player."

The Cubs being buyers this year is extermely excitig.

The Cubs being buyers this year is extermely excitig.

And the fact that they have a lot of cash - but even more flesh to shop with -  is a great feeling.

Now it's just wise bartering necessary to get the remaining pieces.

I think we have the right minds to get it done. We will see. 

I'd love to see him get a shot at the one of the corners in the OF too

Don't care if he's the worst defensive player in baseball. He needs to stay up. Not like Coghlan is f*cking Jason Heyward out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and it's also not like Schwarber is David fk'ng Wells with his mobility.

I want Schwarber catching, otherwise he's much less believable as a special player. He's as susceptible as any LHH to the lefty/lefty matchup and his defense with more space to cover is probably terrible. The Cubs are a very rich team about to make even more money - buy or trade for a stud OF (or two since LF and CF both need filling moving forward) and move Coghlan to the bench.

Speaking of Heyward:

.307/.360/.489 over his last 192 PAs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing

no - not nothing - Schwarber up from Iowa for 2nd trip to the bigs. 

First game up he wears the tools of ignorance and gets a hit the first 3 times he comes to the plate.

This is good.

Are you dreaming of David Price right about now?

Awesome talent, I have little want to hand out the largest FA contract in history to a 30+ pitcher. They do that for Price and they could have close to 60 million tied into two pitchers before they land a media rights deal.

What about a Cueto rental?

I'm all about Hamels. Not into rentals - the Cubs don't have the luxury of being able to lose a high quality talent to FA with no compensation after giving up at least one quality prospect to land him.

FanGraphs' Enos Sarris pointed out something about Hamels that I've been saying for months:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cole-hamels-now-even-more-complete/

His curveball has become yet another high quality pitch for him. Higher velocity, bigger drop -  therefore more whiffs. He's also improved his fastball velocity, getting more groundballs with his sinker, still has the premier LHSP changeup in the game...I'd be highly disappointed if the Cub went in another direction unless they came away with a similarly high quality player under control beyond this season.

There's three outsider players I consider borderline vital to what the Cubs are doing:

Hamels this summer

Heyward in FA this year

Chapman either now, next year, or as a FA after 2016

Kyle Schwarber might be the single most overrated prospect in baseball, but if he helps land a top pitcher I will take it. He's a no glove player whose bat just might be overrated over the long term. My comp right now is Matt LaPorta. Cubs need to shoot for a Matheny/Ausmus type at C and hope they luck into a Yadier Molina.

gotta do it Catman - 

Discuss  ...

gotta do it Catman - 

Discuss  ...

Hoy sh*t even my eyes went wide on that opening line. Great game for him last night.

I'm still in the camp that would gladly trade him if he can't stick at C.*

*Preferably in the offseason for a young arm with upside like Daniel Norris or Kevin Gausman or Taijuan Walker

I'm all about Hamels. Not into rentals - the Cubs don't have the luxury of being able to lose a high quality talent to FA with no compensation after giving up at least one quality prospect to land him.

FanGraphs' Enos Sarris pointed out something about Hamels that I've been saying for months:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cole-hamels-now-even-more-complete/

His curveball has become yet another high quality pitch for him. Higher velocity, bigger drop - therefore more whiffs. He's also improved his fastball velocity, getting more groundballs with his sinker, still has the premier LHSP changeup in the game...I'd be highly disappointed if the Cub went in another direction unless they came away with a similarly high quality player under control beyond this season.

There's three outsider players I consider borderline vital to what the Cubs are doing:

Hamels this summer

Heyward in FA this year

Chapman either now, next year, or as a FA after 2016

YESTERDAY: The Cubs were among the first teams to express interest in left-hander David Price, multiple sources tell Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago

TODAY: Though Chicago is pursuing a starter, the team has no interest in “pay[ing] a premium price for a rental,” tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. There are several different ways to interpret that, of course: it could mean that the club prefers to go after controllable assets, that it is looking more at mid-tier arms, or just that it won’t part with its best young talent in a rental deal (but still might be involved)..

Price is the kind of rental I would understand, but Hamels still makes way more sense for the Cubs.

While the Cubs are indeed willing to consider including Starlin Castro or Javier Baez in a deal for Cole Hamels of the Phillies, a source tells Heyman that the team would not be interested in moving both to add the lefty.

Soriano needs to be gone.

Yeah, Hamels pitched lights out last Sat. when the stands were full of scouts. He'll sign somewhere and snooze. I don't want him on the Cubs.

I'm not wild for Hammels either Doug.

But WTF is with this douche bag Dallas Beeler? Who did he catch Theo or Madden in the arms of with his phone cam?

I can't believe they brought him up and gave him the ball again after his Red's debacle last week.

Sure as sh!t they do and he cant get out of the 2nd inning - again.

Make him stay away forever and add to his 6 point ERA in Iowa or DFA him this afternoon 

While the Cubs are indeed willing to consider including Starlin Castro or Javier Baez in a deal for Cole Hamels of the Phillies, a source tells Heyman that the team would not be interested in moving both to add the lefty.

Castro benched now. I was a big fan of the Mets trading for him last off season.

Wonder if the guy just needs a change of scenery as he appears to be in Madden's doghouse.

Castro benched now. I was a big fan of the Mets trading for him last off season.

Wonder if the guy just needs a change of scenery as he appears to be in Madden's doghouse.

He just wasn't producing and other kids were - don't think he's in Madden's doghouse. Matter of fact Madden likes him and says he has the thirst to learn like a kid in his first year up.

Although he just turned 25 in March he's just shy of 1000 hits in the bigs. He's shortened his swing in this seasons struggles and it's cost him a bunch of power as well.

A change of scenery would do him well and he'll probably get it as we're lucky to be rich in middle infielders.

He's got plenty left in the tank.

That was a fun streak and puts us in great position for a playoff spot. 46 games left and the Cubs can play .500 ball and still get 90 wins, exceeding many of our expectations. Looking forward to Sept 1st and an expanded roster. Maddon will have lots to consider.