2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

Madden made his smartest move of the season thus far, in my book, by leaving Lester in to throw the 9th against P-burg tonite.

We've lost 4 games in the last week with the rubbish we have to close out ball games.

We're not going deep into any play-off with abominable relief pitching and 2 starters, but if we want any chance of having the wild card play-off game at Wrigley, Madden has to come off of the conventional wisdom of keeping your starters at >110 pitches and bringing in the pen for 8 and/or 9.

For me - that would be our play-off/WS for this year - getting that play-off game at home - have said from day 1 that it ain't soup yet and it sure ain't. But it's really looking good.

He's not going to throw anybodies arm out, if they're not stating they're sore, by letting them throw their last inning if they're on.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm scared to death of you guys, but as a pure baseball fan on top of being a Mets fan, I couldn't imagine a more promising, exciting series.  I think people underestimate how much Chicago and New York make natural rival partners.  Look no further than Knicks vs Bulls to see how much energy these two cities can produce.  With both franchises looking up this could be the start of something awesome.

• Upvote 1

I'm scared to death of you guys, but as a pure baseball fan on top of being a Mets fan, I couldn't imagine a more promising, exciting series.  I think people underestimate how much Chicago and New York make natural rival partners.  Look no further than Knicks vs Bulls to see how much energy these two cities can produce.  With both franchises looking up this could be the start of something awesome.

It promises to be one for the ages, 80.

Look at the defining numbers between the 2 teams - very close in almost all pertinent pitching and batting stats.

Baseball is dying and will be a thing of the past in 15 years .... yeah ...right.

• Upvote 1

It promises to be one for the ages, 80.

Look at the defining numbers between the 2 teams - very close in almost all pertinent pitching and batting stats.

Baseball is dying and will be a thing of the past in 15 years .... yeah ...right.

This has been one of the most entertaining seasons in a long, long time, with young talent flooding the league.  And that has shown up in a big way in the postseason.  The team with the highest payroll remaining are the Blue Jays, ranked 10th ( $152M less than the Dodgers), followed by the Cubs (15th), Royals (16th) and Mets (21st).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems the majority of Cub fans are happy with this offseason so far, but I can't lie. I'm not feeling it. We've just got older and whiter.

Cueto or Heyward would change my mind quick, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not feeling it either, dude.

Zobrist is obviously nearing fosildom and although he can cover a lot of positions and hit from both sides of the plate - youth is king.

He's a fav of Joe - so there you have it.

The Yankee deal could work if we Bosio works some magic on Warren. 

Brendan Ryan? WTF is he going to do? Rake the mound between innings?

I like the Lackey - leadership and solid innings. 

not feeling it either, dude.

Zobrist is obviously nearing fosildom and although he can cover a lot of positions and hit from both sides of the plate - youth is king.

He's a fav of Joe - so there you have it.

The Yankee deal could work if we Bosio works some magic on Warren. 

Brendan Ryan? WTF is he going to do? Rake the mound between innings?

I like the Lackey - leadership and solid innings. 

I expect Ryan to be DFA'd shortly. Since Yanks took on Starlin's entire contract, Cubs agreed to eat the $1 million on Ryan.

I get that Zobrist is versatile, but his defense was bad last season and the arrow isn't pointing up. Don't see how versatility makes much of a difference if he just plays a bunch of positions awfully.

It seems the majority of Cub fans are happy with this offseason so far, but I can't lie. I'm not feeling it. We've just got older and whiter.

Cueto or Heyward would change my mind quick, though.

Warren is a good pitcher he's going to be tremendous in the NL I like the trade for the Cubs.

• Upvote 1

Warren is a good pitcher he's going to be tremendous in the NL I like the trade for the Cubs.

26 year old three time All Star shortstop/second baseman for a 28 year old swingman?

Don't like it. I know Castro has lost value in the past year or two, but I can't believe this is the best we could do. Seems like a move to make a move so we could overpay an old sparky anklebiter.

Good players being paid like they are great players.

Heyward/Ellsbury: $23/$22 million per

Heyward/Ellsbury: .784/.768 OPS

Heyward being 4 years younger at the time of their signing certainly makes Heywards contract more digestible, I also interested in seeing the details of these 2 opt outs.

Edited by Tyler Durden

However, he can opt out not only once, but twice, per Gammons. ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers reports (also on Twitter) that the first opt-out clause comes three years into the contract, meaning Heyward can hit the open market entering his age-29 season if he chooses.

if Hayward does hit for more power like some think he's projected to he most certainly will opt out.

So it looks like he turned down two bids of 10 years/$200m from Cardinals and Nationals. Which is more guaranteed money, but less annually than the Cubs 8 year/$184m bid. With opt outs he turned down more guaranteed $ to position himself again for potential free agency before age 30.

Make your kids play baseball.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Gotta like a lefty with the porch what it is in Wrigley and especially one who's OBP is .353 lifetime and steals a bunch of bases.

When I heard we grabbed him I was thinking I'd have rather spent that kind of dough on another arm - then I saw where in the last 2 seasons he had 54 Defensive Runs Saved.

The most in Baseball. I knew the Cubs had lost 17 or 18 games last year by one run.

I'm glad Justin Heyward is a Cub and will maybe retire as one. 

Gotta like a lefty with the porch what it is in Wrigley and especially one who's OBP is .353 lifetime and steals a bunch of bases.

When I heard we grabbed him I was thinking I'd have rather spent that kind of dough on another arm - then I saw where in the last 2 seasons he had 54 Defensive Runs Saved.

The most in Baseball. I knew the Cubs had lost 17 or 18 games last year by one run.

I'm glad Justin Heyward is a Cub and will maybe retire as one.

It's Jason Heyward, but I'm sure you'll figure that out before he retires a Cub :D

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 2

Good players being paid like they are great players.

Heyward/Ellsbury: $23/$22 million per

Heyward/Ellsbury: .784/.768 OPS

Heyward being 4 years younger at the time of their signing certainly makes Heywards contract more digestible, I also interested in seeing the details of these 2 opt outs.

Heyward has better plate discipline and is arguably the best defensive OF in baseball.