2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

I don't like paying guys who aren't great hitters to huge contracts like this. Nothing personal. I've voiced this before anyone signed him or Ellsbury.

Half of his WAR is based on defensive metrics. He's played 21 games in CF,  it's a hell of a gamble and if it pays off he opts out after 3 seasons as proven center fielder still under 30. He'll get $200 million then, despite being 3 years older. Some what of a lose-lose situation. Great contract for Heyward. Win the World Series before then it obviously all worth it.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Rattle off names of players in baseball you want on your team, how many get named before you get to Jason Heyward?

Don't get me wrong, Cubs lineup is stacked now. He helps them. He doesn't need to be a great hitter, they already have a few of them already in that lineup. That alone makes this a better match than Ellsbury did for the Yankees. He doesn't need to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 when Rizzo and Bryant will.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Rattle off names of players in baseball you want on your team, how many get named before you get to Jason Heyward?

Don't get me wrong, Cubs lineup is stacked now. He helps them. He doesn't need to be a great hitter, they already have a few of them already in that lineup. That alone makes this a better match than Ellsbury did for the Yankees. He doesn't need to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 when Rizzo and Bryant will.

Probably around the same amount as you do before you get to Starlin Castro but since the latter is now a Yankee, "upside" is the most often uttered word of the week from you except when it comes to another team obtaining a player of similar age , stats etc......then, it's a questionable move.

Your entire life of actually seeing Yankee WS titles first hand is largely based on winning via checkbook baseball. Now however, when the Yanks are saddled with some of the worst contracts in MLB history, thus preventing them from doing much in FA (if you believe Hal) , you now raise a pompous eyebrow when other teams (ones largely built from within) spend for those extra pieces that might put them over the top.

Give it a rest.

• Upvote 1

Probably around the same amount as you do before you get to Starlin Castro but since the latter is now a Yankee, "upside" is the most often uttered word of the week from you except when it comes to another team obtaining a player of similar age , stats etc......then, it's a questionable move.

Your entire life of actually seeing Yankee WS titles first hand is largely based on winning via checkbook baseball. Now however, when the Yanks are saddled with some of the worst contracts in MLB history, thus preventing them from doing much in FA (if you believe Hal) , you now raise a pompous eyebrow when other teams (ones largely built from within) spend for those extra pieces that might put them over the top.

Give it a rest.

Are you even reading my posts? I think Jacoby Ellsbury is overpaid and not worth his contract. I've said that since day 1.  Therefore you argument that I only knock other teams signing or trades make zero sense. I DO NOT THINK JASON HEYWARD IS A GREAT BALLPLAYER. End of story. Disagree with it all you want, doesn't make my views any less valid than yours. Btw, Castro who is arguably a similar hitter is being paid pennies compared to Heyward.

PS. Yankee checkbook baseball happened post 2000 with the signing of Mike Mussina and Jason Giambi. Wrong again.

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 1

Some interesting and intelligent blurbs on the Cub moves.

Heyward ranked as the sixth-most valuable outfielder in the game last season with a 6.0 WAR – outpacing perennial MVP candidate Andrew McCutchen, as well as Jose Bautista and Adam Jones.

Similar to Ben Zobrist, Heyward was brought onboard to reach base consistently. Last season with St. Louis, he was a .359 OBP player, the second-best mark of his young career. Over the course of six years, he’s averaged a .784 OPS to go along with a .353 on-base clip. He’s been the epitome of consistency in that regard, despite the ebbs and flows of his power output.

What Jason Heyward brings to the table is clear: above-average work with the glove, a consistent approach at the plate – and his contract only makes it more appealing.

Sure, $184 million is a lot of money. And although we don’t yet know exactly how Heyward’s contract is structured, knowing the three-year opt-out exists is a win-win for both the Cubs and the outfielder himself.

As Chicago’s core of Rizzo, Bryant and Russell, as well as Jake Arrieta, matures and thus becomes pricier, Theo and Jed will have decisions to make about payroll. Being able to cut ties with Heyward should he decide to look for another big payday in three years is an attractive selling point for the Cubs – as well as Heyward.

This helps the Cubs control costs long-term, while at the same time, adding one of the premier free agents on the market this offseason. For a team that struggled in terms of outfield defense and reaching base last season, Jason Heyward seems to be an intelligent way to spend resources as the team eyes that elusive World Series title.

Castro regressed in the first half of 2015 before a late-season rebound after his benching. He's not a great defensive player, of course, and has little power. He ranked 18th among 20 qualifying second basemen in WAR last year, and 16th out of 20 qualifying shortstops.

He doesn't have enough patience to draw walks, goes into slumps that can last for months, and doesn't steal bases as he did early in his career. Castro's OBP fell under .300 in two of the last three years (.284 in 2013 and .296 in '15), and after stealing 25 bases in 2012 he's swiped a combined 18 over the next three years.

Yes, Castro was capable of making big plays at short, but also made too many unforced errors, which ultimately led to the Cubs moving him to second for Addison Russell, which coincided with their prolonged hot streak in August and September.

It was only after that brief benching that Castro finally seemed to get it. He took the demotion well, settled in at second, started hitting the final two months and was a big factor in their late-season playoff push.

Whether Castro can keep that up with the Yankees remains to be seen. Joe Girardi will be the sixth manager he's played under already, following Lou Piniella, Mike Quade, Sveum, Renteria and Maddon.

Maybe Castro has turned a corner and will become "Lou Brock 2.0" to this generation of Cubs fans. Or maybe his rollercoaster ride will continue with more big highs and big dips.

As for the Cubs, Zobrist seems like the perfect fit for Maddon because of his versatility and patience in a strikeout-prone lineup. He can also play left when Kyle Schwarber sits against left-handers - as he should for now - and right when Jorge Soler sits.

Whether Warren is a better rotation fit than Kyle Hendricks is debatable, but he does give them more depth, and they didn't pay have to pay the ransom Atlanta was asking for Shelby Miller.

Trivia question; How many seasons out of the last 20 have the Yankees not led MLB in payroll?

• Upvote 2

Give it a rest.

Yankees will be fine the next great FA class won't be until 2018 and most of the bad contracts are off the books by then and between now and 2018 they are still a playoff team or at least competitive  anyway

Edited by drdetroit

I expect Ryan to be DFA'd shortly. Since Yanks took on Starlin's entire contract, Cubs agreed to eat the $1 million on Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T - did you see where they put Ryan on the 40 man roster? WTF  - who's cousin is he?

T - did you see where they put Ryan on the 40 man roster? WTF  - who's cousin is he?

I'd still be shocked if he's on the opening day roster. Maybe hanging on for a spring injury to swing him for a D-level prospect? Otherwise, I don't get it.

Things Kris Bryant can do to go from a 6 WAR player to an 8+ WAR player through his prime:

- Hit lefties better

> Bryant put up a .797 OPS against LHP and an .875 OPS against RHP, and also had a higher K rate against LHPs than RHPs. This is unusual because Bryant is a RHH.

- Play more 3B...

> Bryant at 3B (590 PAs): .902 OPS, 12% BBs, 29% Ks

> Bryant away from 3B (60 PAs): ~.600 OPS, 43% Ks, 10% BBs, and 0 HRs

Things Heyward can do to go from a 5-6 WAR player to put up a 7-8+ WAR season before his opt outs:

- Stay in CF

- Put more balls in the air

This team is going to be pretty sick, especially if they can add another impact pitcher and turnover the OF bench a little for more defense. This is from someone who is meh on both Schwarber and Soler overall, the lineup is just so loaded otherwise.

I'd still be shocked if he's on the opening day roster. Maybe hanging on for a spring injury to swing him for a D-level prospect? Otherwise, I don't get it.

Gone - probably had to eat his mil as part of absorbing Castro's ticket, maybe there was some technicality they were helping him out with by short term putting him on the 40 man.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and Bryant's going to walk more than he did. Kris Bryant is going to be ridiculously good.

He's got to catman. Even if its only 5% more, his first full season in the bigs will show a maturation. Don't see a sophomore slump with KB.   

• Upvote 1

He's got to catman. Even if its only 5% more, his first full season in the bigs will show a maturation. Don't see a sophomore slump with KB.   

Yeah, I see him getting better. Between he, Rizzo, and Heyward the Cubs have three guys I believe can take a leap to MVP caliber in one or more of the next three seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Future Cubs ace Shohei Otani is in AZ for ST because press. From MLBTR:

22-year-old righty Shohei Otani, a standout in Japan’s NPB, has been drawing plenty of attention lately as his Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters train in Arizona. It’s not hard to see why, as the power righty is coming off of a season in which he put up a 2.24 ERA over 160 2/3 innings, with 11.0 K/9 against 2.6 BB/9. Otani, who is also a productive hitter, says he’s always dreamed of playing in the majors, as MLB.com’s Barry Bloom writes. But it’s not yet clear when that chance will arise. As Eric Longenhagen explains for ESPN.com, his current team has little incentive to post him now, given that it is capped at $20MM regardless of when it does so. But he does add that some believe the Fighters would allow him to depart if a request was made. If and when that occurs, you can expect a bidding frenzy unlike many others. As Ben Badler of Baseball America puts it on Twitter, he rates Otani higher than any pitching prospects currently in MLB organizations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 11:55 AM, SenorGato said:

This team is so ******* loaded. Coghlan out for Fowler and a pitcher. 

56d3c8d906378_HeywardFowlerBryantRizzo.t

Here's Bryant, Fowler {going in to take swings) Heyward and Rizzo taking BP yesterday at the Sloan complex.

Sweet set-up - 4 practice fields and the guys walk in, out, and around them depending on what they're drilling on. 

Talked with Contreras for a couple minutes today after he took some swings - good kid - he's going to catch somewhere soon.

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

God, our offense is so bonerific.

This is going to be the most fun year of NL Baseball in my lifetime, I think.  Mets pitching vs Cubs hitting is going to be must-see TV every time.  With tons of other great matchups in every division.

• Thumb Down 1

This is going to be the most fun year of NL Baseball in my lifetime, I think.  Mets pitching vs Cubs hitting is going to be must-see TV every time.  With tons of other great matchups in every division.

Yeah, I just hope that turns out better for us this year than last.

And that the zombie Cardinals are finally vanquished to Hell where they belong.

• Upvote 1