2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

You have to think that if this team sets their hearts and mind to it, really believe in each other, and play as one there is a chance this team will dominate.

I think they likely lead the NL's in regular season W's barring major injuries. I'm still not convinced the line-up on a whole handles big time SP in the post season.  Gotta love Theo for going all in. 

On 3/7/2016 at 6:33 PM, GimmeShelter said:

I think they likely lead the NL's in regular season W's barring major injuries. I'm still not convinced the line-up on a whole handles big time SP in the post season.  Gotta love Theo for going all in. 

I can agree that Bryant, Schwarber, Soler, Baez, and Russell might not have the all "eye tuning" necessary just yet and pitches that are mistakes are a more sparse commodity in the post season. 

It's going to take a good mix of vets and younger sticks to get it done. We'll see if Joe can come up with the recipe. 

Not going to get ahead of my ski's for 2016  - there looks to be more years of this talent wealth in our future.    

On 3/7/2016 at 6:33 PM, GimmeShelter said:

I know it's been said before.

But if Theo heads up beating the Curse of the Bambino.   Then heads up beating the Curse of the Billy Goat. 

Retire the next day and off to the Hall of Fame for him.

• Upvote 1

On March 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM, chirorob said:

I know it's been said before.

But if Theo heads up beating the Curse of the Bambino.   Then heads up beating the Curse of the Billy Goat. 

Retire the next day and off to the Hall of Fame for him.

I think Epstein goes for comissioner one day. It's nuts but he isn't even 50 until the middle of the next decade. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Troll said:

Great way to start the season. Absolutely dominant win over what should be a decent team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only guy in that w/DH line-up you might NOT have been afraid to pitch to hits a two run dinger  - I like it.

Cant pitch around any of them.

Wood for the mop-up - that Joe is always full of surprises. 

I was pretty crestfallen yesterday at the Schwarber news, but the more I think about it, the more I think we'll be alright. It will give more time to Soler, who was kind of unceremoniously cast aside after his disappointing rookie season. They are also talking about playing Bryant in left more, which could open up more time for Baez when he comes back. Montero is also above average offensively and well above it defensively. The Cubs have the depth for this to end up a blip, but it's certainly a discouraging start to a season that has otherwise begun exactly as we'd hoped.

On 4/10/2016 at 0:51 AM, The Troll said:

I was pretty crestfallen yesterday at the Schwarber news, but the more I think about it, the more I think we'll be alright. It will give more time to Soler, who was kind of unceremoniously cast aside after his disappointing rookie season. They are also talking about playing Bryant in left more, which could open up more time for Baez when he comes back. Montero is also above average offensively and well above it defensively. The Cubs have the depth for this to end up a blip, but it's certainly a discouraging start to a season that has otherwise begun exactly as we'd hoped.

• Also allows us to keep Szczur  - who plays all OF positions - on the squad and see over time if his bat is for real.
  • Will force a more veteran batting eye into a line up that will already have Soler, Bryant, Russell, and Baez fine tuning their own eyes to keep their K's down.
  • If Schwarbers surgery goes well and he can be repaired to like new - rest assured he will come back ripped from weight training and will be leaner and quicker. 

Horrible sophomore start to one of the purest swings I've ever seen, but KS has the make up to come back strong. Might keep him out of the catchers role too which I would prefer for a kid with this kind of bat.

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Oh my God, what a ******* win. Home opener, not a hit until two outs in the 7th. 0 hits, 3 runs, 7 outs. No ******* problem! Unbelievable.

Never a doubt, dude

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, vanDoug said:

Hi again fellow Cubs fans.

Little bump in the road last night, but a little 9-0 revenge game today has the boys back on track. Fun season so far.

good to see you Doug.

+68 run differential.. wait till they start hitting

52 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Right now (and it is early), they look like one of those special teams of destiny. Nationals do as well.

NL is going to be fun to play out this season

I was questioning the move of bringing back Fowler with all the OF talent log jammed in the minors - destiny wasn't. I think you're right.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015 at 11:24 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look, Durden talking down another non-Yankee acquisition without a clue of what he's talking about. Sweet.

Cubs have had a great offseason without sacrificing the farm system. Exactly what good teams do. Greatly looking forward to the Cubs-Mets battles next season.

On 12/11/2015 at 6:07 PM, GimmeShelter said:

Are you surprised?

Heyward is exactly who I thought he was.

Yeah, this team is going to pile put up runs whether Heyward hits like Heyward or not, but there's no real reason to think his slow start is permanent.

I want Richard out and Chapman in.

Two long term guys I'd target for the rotation are Pomeranz or Daniel Norris. I feel like one of those two guys can/will shake free with my preference being Norris. Norris reads to me like a reverse Rizzo trade candidate where the Cubs swap one of Almora or Contreras. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, Tyler Durden said:

Heyward is exactly who I thought he was.

Heyward's career numbers are better than this. The Cubs are all in this year and the Yanks have done the same countless times.

Besides your track record on players "being exactly who you said they were" has brought us gems such as Phil Hughes is better than Kershaw, Chase Headley is a good player... and I think you might have even compared Severino to the Mets young stud SP's last September.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Heyward's career numbers are better than this. The Cubs are all in this year and the Yanks have done the same countless times.

Besides your track record on players "being exactly who you said they were" has brought us gems such as Phil Hughes is better than Kershaw, Chase Headley is a good player... and I think you might have even compared Severino to the Mets young stud SP's last September.

I notice you keep specifying "this year" with the Cubs as if this is an old roster. 3 of their everyday starters are older than 26, Heyward himself is only 26. The best player on the team is only 24 and has actually gotten significantly better (mostly by going from a 30% K rate to <20% and improving his overall contact rate by nearly as much) from his unanimous ROY season. The Cubs have, at minimum, a 3 year window from 2016-2018 right now, and then media rights deals worth possibly multi-billions at the end of the decade. Basically, they have only just begun to be all in.

49 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I notice you keep specifying "this year" with the Cubs as if this is an old roster. 3 of their everyday starters are older than 26, Heyward himself is only 26. The best player on the team is only 24 and has actually gotten significantly better (mostly by going from a 30% K rate to <20% and improving his overall contact rate by nearly as much) from his unanimous ROY season. The Cubs have, at minimum, a 3 year window from 2016-2018 right now, and then media rights deals worth possibly multi-billions at the end of the decade. Basically, they have only just begun to be all in.

With a clever deadline and offseason -2017 and 2018 might be even better and more dominant than this team is shaping up to be. Prime Bryant is going to be the shiiiiiiit.

Which is basically exactly what I said....they went all in this year for perhaps the first time.  I think you're just looking for an opportunity to again tell me how wonderful the Cubs are. I agree. The Cubs are very good....world beaters and hopefully we can pick this up in the post season. You're gonna have to get that K rate down a little lower come October though if memory serves me right.^_^

13 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Which is basically exactly what I said....they went all in this year for perhaps the first time. 

There's not even a hint of perhaps about it. You guys won the day last postseason, congrats are in order I guess - even though you couldn't win it all - but the Cubs are better built for the long haul than any franchise out there. That's this year, the rest of the decade, and then into the next.