2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

Check out this article that outlines just how awesome this team is. From Bill Simmons' new site and written by Rany Jazayerli, another former Grantland contributor who was ahead of the curve on the Cubs' rebuild:

https://theringer.com/chicago-cubs-2016-world-series-quest-jake-arrieta-kris-bryant-e68b07657df2#.t89562k7m

Lots of great tidbits...

Using baseball’s Pythagorean theorem, which estimates what a team’s win-loss record should be based on its runs scored and allowed, the Cubs should be 42–13. They’re on pace to win 115 games — and they’ve been a little bit unlucky.

Even more impressive is that the Cubs are doing this in the modern era. No other team on the above lists played after World War II, and for good reason: The game had considerably less parity before things like integration, the draft, and revenue-sharing made it a little harder for the best teams to dominate the worst. The Cubs are the only post–World War II team in the top 15 in terms of run ratio..... but even if we compare the 2016 Cubs to other squads at the 55-game mark, they’re still ahead of every team in more than a century... What the Cubs have done in the last two months is without precedent in the memory of anyone alive today.

While it would be logical to assume the Cubs won’t continue to play this well all year, there are no red flags screaming “regression!” in their lineup. Fowler (.303/.421/.515) and Zobrist (.326/.438/.500) are unlikely to maintain their batting lines, but Heyward probably won’t slug .299 all season, either. Rizzo is hitting exactly as well as he did in 2014–15, and Bryant (who has cut his strikeout rate by a third from his rookie season) and Russell are good bets to continue the steady improvement they’ve shown as sophomores.

The Cubs have drawn 250 walks in 55 games, an average of 4.55 walks per game. The average NL team has drawn just 3.23 walks per game, meaning the Cubs are on pace to draw 213 more walks than a league-average team. That would be, easily, a National League record:

But the best news of all for Cubs fans is that there’s no reason why Chicago won’t continue to dominate in years to come. This is a team built for the long haul. Five members of the starting lineup are 26 or younger, and the average age of the offense is 27.9; of the 12 teams since World War II that won at least two-thirds of their games, none had an offense this young. (This one is for that Mets fan troll)

Oh, and if the chatter about MLB shrinking the strike zone (by raising the bottom of the zone from the hollow beneath the kneecap to the top of the knees) is true, that figures to benefit the teams that use the strike zone as a weapon — and none do so more effectively than the Cubs.

21 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Check out this article that outlines just how awesome this team is. From Bill Simmons' new site and written by Rany Jazayerli, another former Grantland contributor who was ahead of the curve on the Cubs' rebuild:

https://theringer.com/chicago-cubs-2016-world-series-quest-jake-arrieta-kris-bryant-e68b07657df2#.t89562k7m

Lots of great tidbits...

I for one think that it is cute that we have found a replacement for Tyler Durden on this site in the role of unbridled boyish enthusiasm for his baseball team.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I for one think that it is cute that we have found a replacement for Tyler Durden on this site in the role of unbridled boyish enthusiasm for his baseball team.

I think it's adorable that Mets fans continue troll this thread, not even pretending to say anything worth saying, after the collective temper tantrums and tears in their own thread a couple weeks ago.

33 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I think it's adorable that Mets fans continue troll this thread, not even pretending to say anything worh saying, after the collective temper tantrums and tears in their own thread a couple weeks ago.

Right, tantrum tears < than unbridled enthusiasm. We are in agreement.

The Cubs are a machine.

19 YO SS/ 2B prospect Gleyber Torres in High A since after the first week of the season (213 PAs):

.288/.370/.478

10.8% BBs / 19.2% Ks

He's already doubled his HRs from last year despite moving up a level to the system's toughest home park for hittere. He's also hitting RHPing to the tune of .303/.383/.484 in 175 PAs.

Possibly the one underhyped Cubs prospect in the system despite taking the #1 spot in all the major system rankings. I was impressed to see BA slap potential 60s on all his tools except speed in their 2016 handbook. No one in this system is untouchable in the right trade, no one in the org but Bryant and Rizzo basically, but if there is a prospect I would be a little more uptight about it is him. 

^^ Seriously, Torres keeps it up and his season will be every bit as good as Russell's in the Cal at 19, if not better. 

The draft was meh on draft day, but that is to be expected. Hatch has a good delivery, good makeup, and throws strikes. His upside is in the mold of those pen/rotation swing arms. The next guy, Tyson Miller, had nice words from Pillerie's D1 site after throwing well in the Cape Cod League - chance for 3 plus pitches, better velocity, and an average or better 4th in his changeup. Only bat they took was a C because converts have been catching the SP in A ball (Amaya and Higgins) more often than they should. One guy - a 6'7" MSU RH struck out 96 in 57 without giving up a HR and only allowing 27 Hs. Another was a Duke arm who got 1-3 round talk waaaaaay earlier in the process, a funny arm action among other qualities makes him relief only. 

It would be nice to splurge tomorrow but I doubt it with these stupid draft rules. 

The Braves have a bunch of HS drafted arm talent that might be pret exciting if any of them survive. Allard and Anderson are possibly very fast movers once they get going, and Mullen, Soroka, and Wentz have very high ceilings themselves. 

White Sox killed the draft early with Collins, Burdi, and Hansen. I like 7th rounder Flores some too - 6'4" healthy lefty can hit 93 and spin a breaking ball without much experience.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/cespedes-heyward-debate-advanced-analytics-article-1.2667710

"This isn't witchcraft," Eppler said. "This is another methodology for evaluation."

Or as a team executive told me on Thursday, "The game is evolving. We're never going back to the way it was. There is more information now and if you don't use it you're not giving your team the best chance to win.

"When you're talking about signing a guy like Heyward, age and run-prevention is a big part of his value, and run-prevention is valued in the same way as run production."

In other words, the debate will go on over Heyward's value, no matter what he hits this season. Still, I had to ask the team executive whether, if given the resources, he would have signed Heyward for $184 million.

"No comment," he said.

I took that to mean: I'd rather have a slugger like Cespedes.

Ignore how dumb that conclusion of his is at the end, time will resolve that one. Even ignore how dumb the Jason Bay comparison is. What kind of baseball writer in 2016 still thinks stats vs. scouting is a thing? What stone age hack thinks it is either/or?

Heyward through 229 PAs (so not including today's 3-5 with a HR and 2B):

'15: 677 OPS with 5 HR, 18 RBI and 28 Runs
'16 .645 OPS with 4 HR, 22 RBI and 29 Runs

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/cespedes-heyward-debate-advanced-analytics-article-1.2667710

Ignore how dumb that conclusion of his is at the end, time will resolve that one. Even ignore how dumb the Jason Bay comparison is. What kind of baseball writer in 2016 still thinks stats vs. scouting is a thing? What stone age hack thinks it is either/or?

Heyward through 229 PAs (so not including today's 3-5 with a HR and 2B):

'15: 677 OPS with 5 HR, 18 RBI and 28 Runs
'16 .645 OPS with 4 HR, 22 RBI and 29 Runs

I still love the trade even at the $$ involved, Catman. I would be fine with him hitting down in the 7 or 8 hole though, don't know that he's earned or is doing us the best justice in the 2 slot.

At 42-18, it's a little tough to make the case that Heyward hitting second is holding this team back somehow. Sure, the pythag is 46-14(!!!!) and 44-16 by BaseRuns, but that's pennies compared to getting him the reps to get right and be normal or better Heyward.

-----

The Cubs’ Jason Parks was at Yankee Stadium this week to scout the Bombers’ all-world bullpen trio of Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances, reports George A. King III of the New York Post. Chapman, who’s in a contract year, could be a rental for the Cubs. Miller is under contract through 2018 at a palatable $9MM, while Betances is making the league-minimum salary of $507,500 and is controllable through arbitration for three more seasons. While Betances seems like the least likely of the three to go anywhere, the Yankees are willing to listen to offers for him, according to King. - MLBTR

giphy.gif

@ Kris Bryant's plate discipline this season

That Heyward-Bryant-Rizzo trio is going to be ferocious this summer, 2017, and 2018. Washngton's going to be a tough series coming up THO, plus the Pirates and Cardinals won't just lay down either right after.

Some Lester highlights:

- Already worth half a WAA over last season
- On pace for close to 7 WPA, he's 4th in baseball this year here
- Already has 2.6 rWAR (worth 3.1 last year)
- As a Cubs pitcher his FIP is below 3
- 5:1 K:BB this year
- His 2.10 RA9 is far and away the best in his career

Hilariously, Arrieta's mostly been better except in WPA IIRC....So basically the Cubs have two of the tippy top tier SPs in baseball this year to go with their elite lineup, and everyone expects them to add impact relief and/or SP this deadline. As a cherry on top they're in rumors for Jose Bautista if he shook free, and should add an OF anyway.

Cubs SPs in general are first in ERA, FIP, tied for first in xFIP, first in fWAR, 4th in IP, 5th in K/9, 3rd in K%, 3rd in GB%, 3rd in K-BB%....

Sounds great. Dynasty like. Why finish the season?

All that's left is that one little issue of handling elite SP especially as prone to the swing and miss (16 K's tonight) as they are when facing such pitchers.;)

On a serious note the staff is pitching lights out.....over their heads in some cases but every day  the box score shows they've pitched another great game. Sustainable?  For Jake and Lester probably. The rest of the starting five, time will tell. 

Lol this pathetic ******* troll - of course you're back the night of a loss. Not that this chump is worth responding too, he's begging for my attention in all the active baseball threads lately, but the Cubs have exactly the league average K rate as a lineup. In 2015 they struck out more than anyone else and did just fine. They are a little over a month removed from sweeping the Nats over 4 games, including beating Scherzer. In fact, they've hit 5 HRs and scored 8 runs against Scherzer in 12 innings this season. So no, handling elite pitching isn't some big worry or fear. In fact, any worry is less so than the typical team. 

Scherzer was straight up filthy tonight, that's all it was. One of his earlier Ks, against Russell who later homered, was 97 with 6 inches armside run to freeze him - unbelievable pitch.

On the farm CF/OF Eddy Julio Martinez, a 21 YO Cuban signee for $3 million and ranked the top IFA at the time, has significantly improved his plate discipline since April. After striking out in more than 25% of his PAs in April, he has shaved it down to 20% in the 147 PAs since May 1st. This June he is hitting .317/.404/.441 with a 17% K rate. 

Oh and on top of having arguably the best C prospect in the minors with Contreras, Victor Caratini is an emerging talent at the poisition in AA. 22 YO switch hitter with a nearly 15% BB rate, nearly 1:1 K/BB, and improving defense in his third full season as a C.

For a group of people who flooded the board with their tears at even the thought of being trolled, these Mets fans sure do a hell of alot of trolling. I know you guys are just the bottom of the barrell as far as the Mets crowd here, but what a petty, pathetic duo these two make. At least keep your passive aggressive faggotry to your own sh*tty thread. I understand you can take down all the strawmen you want in there. There's not even an attempt from these utter dipsh*ts to offer anything worth saying, they come in specifcially to troll.

Anyway, my favorite troll is an oldie but goodie from the meathead textbook:

58 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Even with the gobbledygook numbers 

Numbers - simply not as sensible to these wackjob dolts as "Cubs are a very good dream" or imagining some argument being made about some June championship. 

The Cubs definitely deserve to have their own thread in this forum.

They look to be a great team that is building toward something, and a great baseball story. It will be interesting to see how October can play out for them.

On a side note, I apologize for any contribution zI had to getting the other thread closed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Cubs definitely deserve to have their own thread in this forum.

They look to be a great team that is building toward something, and a great baseball story. It will be interesting to see how October can play out for them.

On a side note, I apologize for any contribution zI had to getting the other thread closed.

imagegif

Well, that didn't go as planned...Turns out reporting posts for "general faggotry" was not as hilarious as I imagined it to be, and boy did I imagine it was hilarious. Point well made, Max!

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

imagegif

Well, that didn't go as planned...Turns out reporting posts for "general faggotry" was not as hilarious as I imagined it to be, and boy did I imagine it was hilarious. Point well made, Max!

I think you're hilarious. I also think you have quite the imagination. Go Cubbies.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think you're hilarious. I also think you have quite the imagination. Go Cubbies.

Awww, that's adorable. You're must see yourself as a regular Cate Blanchett with the calm and cool post, so collected and demure. The sh*tty act would maybe hold some weight if you didn't go around begging for my attention throughout the baseball forum. Really you're still just a petty, butthurt troll who can suck a bag a dicks before promptly ******* off. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

I'm impressed at how good Taillon's looked for the Pirates, particularly his control. As archaic as getting cut open by a blade seems, teams seem to have a clue on how to handle it. Pitchers always have that initial advantage, but I do think his fastball is straight even now and can be smacked for some HRs later in the season.

Tonight's game is exactly why I am not satisfied with the Cubs' pitching. The LHP in the bullpen can be completely overhauled. Matusz MIGHT be a step in the right direction.

10 hours ago, SenorGato said:

imagegif

Reported posts send alerts to my phone. So you can imagine how unpleasant 5 of them in a row must be. Add in two more alerts for private messages and two more for profile posts and yeah....let's report posts that are real.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Awww, that's adorable. You're must see yourself as a regular Cate Blanchett with the calm and cool post, so collected and demure. The sh*tty act would maybe hold some weight if you didn't go around begging for my attention throughout the baseball forum. Really you're still just a petty, butthurt troll who can suck a bag a dicks before promptly ******* off. 

Okay, so you alerted me to this thread. Now I have to tell you that stuff like this isn't allowed on the board. So don't do that.

We are light on the moderation here by design. So it is ironic that we are now aware of your infractions because you reported others who actually didn't have any infractions.

Avoid the personal attacks.

41 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Okay, so you alerted me to this thread. Now I have to tell you that stuff like this isn't allowed on the board. So don't do that.

We are light on the moderation here by design. So it is ironic that we are now aware of your infractions because you reported others who actually didn't have any infractions.

Avoid the personal attacks.

To be fair - petty, butthurt troll is less a personal attack than an accurate observation and the last two bold are more a request or even suggestion. That guy, those guys really, have given up any and all pretenses of trying to talk baseball but just happen to be a little more bureaucratic in their trolls and attacks is all. 

• Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

To be fair - petty, butthurt troll is less a personal attack than an accurate observation and the last two bold are more a request or even suggestion. That guy, those guys really, have given up any and all pretenses of trying to talk baseball but just happen to be a little more bureaucratic in their trolls and attacks is all. 

Thanks again for inviting me into this thread.