2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

If I could have one of my ways the 2017 Cubs OF would be Who Cares - Heyward - Stanton with Arrieta-Lester-Fernandez in the rotation. Alas, a pipedream at best! In my head this series is their audition. Stanton is passing so far - crazy opposite field power.

Eloy Jimenez hit a double and a HR in the same inning. Gleyber Torres singled twice in 4 PAs without striking out. One of these guys is the top prospect in the system right now. Since Gleyber has a really solid shot at getting traded this deadline, Jimenez might win out by default since I see him surviving into the offseason at least.

Gotta love Contreras.

Montero injury may be a blessing. Kids hitting clean-up and he's been seeing some time at 1B while also being mentioned to see some time in Left which means regular AB's. Not that you could take him out right now anyway.  Big boost to a line-up that was going a little quiet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

This passive aggressive troll trying....There's no blessing in an injured starter, that's as dumb and uninsightful as this team being all in for just 2016 because they spent or that a near half dozen TJ surgeries was a good thing for the Mets' rotation long term outlook. Lineups tend to dip in performance when one of the better hitters slash leadoff guy hits the DL and gets replaced by a slap happy slapster like Almora. Even with a tiny stretch of mediocrity they've overtaken both the Cardinals and Pirates in RS, super huge deal, still have the division basically locked up, and still have some of the best periphs in the majors for this summer and moving forward in general.

One thing correct there is that you gotta love Contreras. Great approach as a hitter, already gives a high quality PA when up there, and has enough chops behind the plate.

---

I continue to buy into Teheran for his youth, health, durability, pedigree, track record, very wide range of skills, and cost certainty. The rearranged pre-ASB rotation with Hendricks pitching " third" behind Arrieta and Lester has me hoping they plan to add someone more established for that spot in the second half. Cervenka, a former Cubs farmhand, would be welcome to join him as the much needed lefty reliever add.

----

Some good pitching stuff on the farm the past couple days and nights, though they're all short season guys. Brailyn Marquez in the DSL, Jose Albertos in the AZL, and Dylan Cease in the NWL all flashed dominance in their outings. There's a high quality arm at the SS levels, just need to see who emerges in the next 3 years or so. 

Speaking of high quality short season arms...Triston McKenzie of the Indians is going to be a stud.

2 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Gotta love Contreras.

Montero injury may be a blessing. Kids hitting clean-up and he's been seeing some time at 1B while also being mentioned to see some time in Left which means regular AB's. Not that you could take him out right now anyway.  Big boost to a line-up that was going a little quiet.

I talked with him at spring training for a few minutes between drills - great kid with a great attitude.

Also the longest tenured Cub currently on the roster as Hendry signed him as a 17 year old.

I think he's going to stay up for certain as he had over a 100 games in the OF and can play first of 3rd (not like Baez -but ok)

The very good news for the Cub faithful is we're nowhere near done bringing up minor league close to ready for ML talent and will be able to use some of it to grab some pitching.

Seemed as good a place as any to post since the Cubs have been labeled as "far and away the best team in baseball" in this thread.

Fun Fact:

San Francisco, the World Series champions in 2010, 2012 and 2014, has won 12 of its last 13 games and 31 of 40.

I wonder if their staff has ever had any arm surgeries.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

imagejpeg

Hey look. another troll post made with the sole purpose of trolling by the baseball forum's resident troll! All that and they're STILL behind the Cubs for the best record in baseball? G'damn this Cubs team is awesome, far and away the best team in baseball.

More fun facts:

Giants pitchers give up nearly a full run per game than the Cubs.

The Giants score nearly a full run per game less than the Cubs.

The Giants still have three more losses than the Cubs, even with that run.

The Mets need that series way more than the Cubs do. Cubs can pretty much sleepwalk to the division and the playoffs. That said, given how sh*tty and trollish a few Mets fans have chosen to become on this site it'll be a little nicer than usual to win. For now it's just good the lineup gets two more looks at their staff, they'll face both Harvey and Syndergaard next week. The more PAs against the more the advantage moves away from pitchers.

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The Mets need that series way more than the Cubs do. Cubs can pretty much sleepwalk to the division and the playoffs. That said, given how sh*tty and trollish a few Mets fans have chosen to become on this site it'll be a little nicer than usual to win. For now it's just good the lineup gets two more looks at their staff, they'll face both Harvey and Syndergaard next week. The more PAs against the more the advantage moves away from pitchers.

All troll activity began with you and your Zobrist taunts in the Mets thread.

I don't even remember you offering congrats after last seasons post season series. Could be wrong but it would not surprise me if you did not as that seems to fit your MO.

Rough June for team dynasty eh?

All troll activity began with you and your Zobrist taunts in the Mets thread.

I don't even remember you offering congrats after last seasons post season series. Could be wrong but it would not surprise me if you did not as that seems to fit your MO.

Rough June for team dynasty eh?

That you not only considered those taunts but also are STILL trolling close to multiple months later only speaks to the level of pettiness and crazy behind your trolls. Now whether congrats was handed out is a thing too? This is legitimately pathetic. At least you've finally dropped all pretenses about being the troll you are, so there's that.

The Mets just split a series with the Braves after getting swept by them at home. It took 11 innings to score a run against them yesterday to get one of those wins. They sit in second place after failing to take any serious advantage of the Nats' recent slump. That takes all the air out of "rough June" troll taunt from one of their more unpleasant and clearly butthurt fans. Besides that it was a rough June only superficially - all it did was diminish hopes of 116+. I am not riding the same emotional roller coaster you are for a 162 game baseball season.

The Reds are kind of an under the radar trade partner for the Cubs so there's some intrigue to this series. With Bruce they are one of the few obvious sellers with a LHH OF to trade, and LHP Tony Cingrani checks alot of boxes as far as being the kind of reliever the team needs. He's LH, throws hard, is healthy, has a swing and miss pitch in his slider, gets GBs with the FB, won't crush in trade cost due to consistent underperformance, under control until 2020...FO last year said they were looking at RP with weird periphs for sleepers, Cingrani would fit that.

Also had three scouts at the Yanks series over the w/end. I think the Yanks need to trade one regardless of their position in the WC standings.

Three Cubs scouts attended the Yankees' series against Minnesota this past weekend.

They were scouting the dominant bullpen trio of Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances. The Cubs have been linked to Chapman and Miller for a while so their presence in New York this weekend shouldn't come as much of a surprise. The Yankees have incentive to trade both, especially with Chapman headed for free agency this winter. With that said, the Yankees probably won't pull the trigger unless they're completely out of the AL East race. Right now they trail first-place Baltimore by 7.5 games and are 2.5 games behind Toronto for the final Wild Card spot.
Source: New York Post  Don't report us.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I love me a bureaucratic troll falling back to pretense. That post undoubtedly just bought us 3 troll posts this week!

Betances is the one RHRP in baseball I'd give up anything serious for. That guy is a phenomenal talent.

Four if we kick some Cubbie ass this week.;)

32 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Four if we kick some Cubbie ass this week.;)

I don't doubt you'll somehow become more insufferable should the Mets even take a lead in this huge July series for them. I expect nothing less, which I believe trolls unfortunately take as a compliment to their general trollness. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I don't doubt you'll somehow become more insufferable should the Mets even take a lead in this huge July series for them. I expect nothing less, which I believe trolls unfortunately take as a compliment to their general trollness. 

Not my style or you would have seen such behavior last October.  I just like messing with you now and then since you decided (this season) to go all Tyler Durden on us when it comes to the Cubs.  

30 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Not my style or you would have seen such behavior last October.  I just like messing with you now and then since you decided (this season) to go all Tyler Durden on us when it comes to the Cubs.  

I've seen that behavior this whole season THO and across every active thread in the baseball forum. I started this thread 4 years ago and it was nearly 20 pages coming into the season. A significant chunk of the thread this year is responding to your trolls, other Mets fans trolls, or attempting to get the thread back on track while ignoring attempts to troll by Mets fans such as yourself. That is the whole difference between this year and the previous years - Mets trolls like yourself leaking butthurt all over the thread. I do applaud your Tx-like ability to so openly troll without any real worry. sh*t, it's happening right now! 

39 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

What a game for him. Monster night.

Massively good things happen when you hit the ball hard, have an top notch, discerning batting eye, and shave 8% off your previous season's K rate - this is basically the levee breaking on those periphs I've been talking about in between your trolls this year. Now consider that the Cubs lineup as a whole has done that as a whole to a lesser extent than the best individual hitter and you might start understanding why I speak do highly of this lineup.

Bryant's basically well on the way to establishing himself as a franchise level bat this season.

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Massively good things happen when you hit the ball hard, have an top notch, discerning batting eye, and shave 8% off your previous season's K rate - this is basically the levee breaking on those periphs I've been talking about in between your trolls this year. Now consider that the Cubs lineup as a whole has done that as a whole to a lesser extent than the best individual hitter and you might start understanding why I speak do highly of this lineup.

Bryant's basically well on the way to establishing himself as a franchise level bat this season.

You'd be discussing Cubs baseball with yourself if not for me so be careful what you wish for.

On a serious note per Rotoworld:

He scored four times and totaled 16 bases on the night, which was three shy of Shawn Green's major league record of 19. Dating back to 1913, no player had ever hit three homers and doubled twice in the same games:

54 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

You'd be discussing Cubs baseball with yourself if not for me so be careful what you wish for.

On a serious note per Rotoworld:

He scored four times and totaled 16 bases on the night, which was three shy of Shawn Green's major league record of 19. Dating back to 1913, no player had ever hit three homers and doubled twice in the same games:

Another "old world" component of his feat came form him playing 3 different positions tonight as well.

Really like him cutting the K rate by 25% over last year thus far. If he can get that into double digits a year - he will be working his way toward C-town.

I really wouldn't give half a dang if you finally stopped trolling this thread, but am just not holding my breath you stop. Trolls do what trolls do. Unlike yourself I am not going to play pretend over your intentions - you mean to do nothing but troll from what I've seen, once in a while making sure to drop some bit from some site to cover troll tracks. All you're doing now is laying the groundwork for a big troll should the Mets have any success this weekend. Like I said - this thread went 4 years problem free with quality discussion and #hottakes until you and a couple other Mets fan trolls decided to troll this year.

Down on the farm.....

Jesus Castillo, one of the two no longer teenaged arms from the Tony Campana trade, is having himself a start. He's had 2 baserunners all night while striking out 11 through 5 for SS Eugene. Castillo's got decent pro size with a good pitcher's build - long limbs, big hands - some arm speed, some ability to spin the ball, health, youth, an athletic delivery - basically a bunch of likeable physical traits. He seems to be one of those guys who has taken to the Cubs' PD program. Not a huge ceiling, but one of the many arms in the short season leagues showing some aptitude, tools, and skills. He turns 21 in August, hopefully pitches his way into South Bend by then because that is always nice. Between he and Erick Leal, there might be a ML in that Campana trade. Faustino Carrera is another short season arm, this one in the rookie DSL league, who threw today. These are a couple of the guys, among a bunch of others I've probably mentioned or will mention eventually, that will be putting the farm back into top tier territory by 2019 or so even after a trade or three. There's a couple dudes, MIF/IF Isaac Paredes, and C Miguel Amaya, that I think are going to be big. OF Jonathan Sierra is a little behind those guys but is another one I think has a woethwhile ceiling.

Vogelbach continues to mash to the point where I might stop ignoring him. He has no shot with the Cubs but could fit well with the Yankees and their LHH friendly park. Ian Happ's been tearing it up lately, staying hot after a promotion to AA, and is another guy who should be getting lots of attention from teams at the deadline, including the Jankees.

Kris Bryant facts:

- for the last calendar year he's 4th in fWAR, ahead of Bryce Harper and Manny Machado

- for his career he's playing at better than a 7.5-win pace

- he's on pace for 47 HR and 43 2B

- he's cut his K rate by a full 8% this year

- he's been a plus fielder at 3-4 positions

- he has the 3rd most value as a baserunner since his callup according to FanGraphs

- he is not FA eligible until after 2021