2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

That was insane. Madden went nuts move wise and I guess with the results you have to tip your cap to him for now.

I think the "moving the good jock pitcher to an outfield slot" on righty/lefty or certain spots in the order trick can be very effective. 

It's worked for us every time he's done it thus far. 

Saving a bench bat for later when you're chasing 6 after 2 and a half and the top coming up after aint smart ball in my book. 

11 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Thank you A.J. Ramos!  Marlins pen suffered a complete meltdown there.

All I gotta say is we'll take it.

All pens are capable of that on a given day, but the likelihood of our pen doing it with any regularity went down appreciably within the last 10 days.

Now its about further development of young batting eyes and getting as many quality starts as we can. 

1 minute ago, NJ said:

All I gotta say is we'll take it.

All pens are capable of that on a given day, but the likelihood of our pen doing it with any regularity went down appreciably within the last 10 days.

Now its about further development of young batting eyes and getting as many quality starts as we can. 

I think Baez has improved so much in that area. He looks like he's going to be a star.

2 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think Baez has improved so much in that area. He looks like he's going to be a star.

Dude - I don't know if you saw the 2 plays he made in the 9th yesterday - but Chapman should have transferred the save over to him.

His defense is already jaw dropping, but his batting eye is really starting to mature.

I think as long as Madden's around he's untouchable.    

On August 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM, NJ said:

CatMan - where are you? Get in here and give us some reason to be optimistic

What are they at? 11 in a row? 100% shot at the playoffs? Highest WS odds in the sport? Clear best team in baseball still? I know you don't care about that stuff, even I think the WS odds from Fanzgraphs, BP, and 538 are fodder, but I resent that even the more active Cubs fan here besides myself does not appreciate how good this team is. An offense where the non-pitchers have kept the difference between the best AL offense all BABIP and DH based with one of the younger lineups in the sport? TWO top ten hitters in Rizzo and Bryant? Best defense and baserunning in the sport? This team's ******* amazing, and they've only just started on a multi-year, possibly multi-decade, run of awesome.

On August 2, 2016 at 9:23 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Lol what a tool

The pot calls the kettle black! Tell us more about how the Daredevil TV show is a masterpiece, numb nuts! 

On July 29, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Scott Dierking said:

i will remind you that it was my efforts that had the thread re-opened, after YOU childishly decided to "report" every thread.

Talk about "butthurt" LOL

Ah, the delusional bullsh*t from Scotty D had one more. Your efforts got the thread closed, you slimey, weasely know nothing twat of a troll, and I got it reopened. I hilariously reported, you trolls have a troll pass ala Tx in the foozeball forum, and that's really that. 

Not surprised to see the dipsh*t Mets trolls have cleared out as this team does what they were always going to do this year. Dumb **** cunts like Scotty D can't even talk football in a football forum, let alone baseball in a football forum 

Just wanted to drop by and say all that. I suspect the cunty Mets trolls will enjoy it, **** those white bitches. Scotty D is never not wrong in the football part of the football board, I have no idea why that dipsh*t thinks he could hang talking baseball. GimmyShelter's marginally more competent relative to Scotty D's near nothingness, and RJF's a comics, TV, and movie fan who wandered onto a pro football fan forum for a local team where he figured he had a shot at being the smartest guy around. He's built a small following out of it, I can respect that. Anyway, I'll try to come back for the playoffs - stay wet ya cunts.

Oh, this season is so fun that I will only be a little tiny bit annoyed that Bryant won't win the NL MVP since Murphy has a high batting average and people with say still think that way.

--- 

Down on the farm - 19 YO Eloy Jimenez is at .336/.375/.534 in full season ball, he'd be young for short season, with a K rate ever so slightly over 20%. He's on a path to be everything Jorge Soler (showing a pulse lately btw) was hyped to be early on. 

So let me get this straight.  Gato reports 5 posts for, in his words, "faggotry", pisses off Maxman, nearly gets the thread closed, then calls everyone here "c*nts".

Yeah, us Mets fans are the problem here.  Everyone is a toolbag troll EXCEPT for Gato.  Sore winners are soooo fun to talk baseball with.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

but I resent that even the more active Cubs fan here besides myself does not appreciate how good this team is.

Dude - i was just asking you to come in and throw out some optimism.

11 game streak and you're no where around.

I very much appreciate how good this team is and this last streak was some solid proof. 

Best era by starters in MLB - and 3rd in runs scored.

That's a pretty formidable combination.

Now incorporate a reorganized pen that's certainly top 5 in the game - there's no arguing how very good this team is.

The only reservation I have on them smashing the Curse Of The Billy Goat in 2016 is the fact that 5 of the 9 at bats in NL post season play are going to be guys that haven't even played a full season in The Bigs yet and the 6th out of 9 will be coming often (hopefully) from a pitcher. 

The aforementioned rooks have ALL made tremendous strides - but post season pitching is usually the best around at the time and these guys still chase a lot of stuff.

Thats all - not concerned going forward - the abilities of this team will only get better - probably much better.

I've waited a long time for this. If it's another year before I'm sobbing like a 5 year old at whatever park they clinch the WS at - so be it.

I know it will come - this year would be great - but if it isn't I can finally say with FULL confidence, wait till next year.  

On August 13, 2016 at 9:37 AM, SenorGato said:

Ah, the delusional bullsh*t from Scotty D had one more. Your efforts got the thread closed, you slimey, weasely know nothing twat of a troll, and I got it reopened. I hilariously reported, you trolls have a troll pass ala Tx in the foozeball forum, and that's really that. 

Not surprised to see the dipsh*t Mets trolls have cleared out as this team does what they were always going to do this year. Dumb **** cunts like Scotty D can't even talk football in a football forum, let alone baseball in a football forum 

Just wanted to drop by and say all that. I suspect the cunty Mets trolls will enjoy it, **** those white bitches. Scotty D is never not wrong in the football part of the football board, I have no idea why that dipsh*t thinks he could hang talking baseball. GimmyShelter's marginally more competent relative to Scotty D's near nothingness, and RJF's a comics, TV, and movie fan who wandered onto a pro football fan forum for a local team where he figured he had a shot at being the smartest guy around. He's built a small following out of it, I can respect that. Anyway, I'll try to come back for the playoffs - stay wet ya cunts.

For the sake of accuracy, I will respond. YOU got this thread closed. I, actually attempted to get it re-opened YOUR actions and the childish reporting, because you can't deal with people who don't 100% agree with you in a civil manner. You are just unable.

If I had 1 tenth of the childish bones that you have, I would report this post, and you would be gone from this site for good. Do everyone a favor.

To clarify again:

- This thread was closed because of a few Mets fans trolling for multiple pages. Scotty D saying otherwise is just another example of the level of scumbag he is. He also said he was done a couple times early on, yet 10+ pages later the Mets trolls including himself were still going strong without impediment. He is not what he deludes himself into believing he is - a civil poster. He is a dishonest, slimey, weasely little troll who gets away with it because he stays inside arbitrary lines while trolling and roots for the local franchises.

- On the cunts thing....It is a casual insult among bros in some circles, bros. If you were women I would understand the phony sanctimony, but all in all - especially in the case of Scotty D, I am fine with my use of the word.

- As far as 80....You went from a decent enough seeming guy over the years to someone who talks about how into black girls you are like some meathead knockoff of an Always a Sunny character and desperately, desperately wants to be RJF's RH. Max wasn't pissed, your dramatic narrative aside, and most definitely the Mets trolls were and are the problem here - none of this is possible if these slimey scumbags were civil, decent people who had any clue of what they were talking about.

- I will frequent much less - obviously - just becasue sh*thead trolls like Scotty D have any sway here. This is a guy who has almost literally never been right about anything on this site, is always uncivil about it, and is consistently incapable of even making decent cases for his poorly thought out opinions. If I am not banned, yay - see you in the Fall/Winter. If I am, so be it and I will just talk baseball on some other site where casuals like a Scotty D or GimmeShelter aren't around to pretend baseball stats and prospects are magic and witchcraft. Scotty D should be a little happy about this since that's one less poster who consistently, for years, schools him on sports, football and baseball, on this football/sports forum. 

- Apologies to the Cubs fans here for biting the troll bait during the season, but these were just such sh*tty, sh*tty people allowed to be sh*tty, sh*tty people. 

<3 XOXO

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

To clarify again:

- This thread was closed because of a few Mets fans trolling for multiple pages. Scotty D saying otherwise is just another example of the level of scumbag he is. He also said he was done a couple times early on, yet 10+ pages later the Mets trolls including himself were still going strong without impediment. He is not what he deludes himself into believing he is - a civil poster. He is a dishonest, slimey, weasely little troll who gets away with it because he stays inside arbitrary lines while trolling and roots for the local franchises.

- On the cunts thing....It is a casual insult among bros in some circles, bros. If you were women I would understand the phony sanctimony, but all in all - especially in the case of Scotty D, I am fine with my use of the word.

- As far as 80....You went from a decent enough seeming guy over the years to someone who talks about how into black girls you are like some meathead knockoff of an Always a Sunny character and desperately, desperately wants to be RJF's RH. Max wasn't pissed, your dramatic narrative aside, and most definitely the Mets trolls were and are the problem here - none of this is possible if these slimey scumbags were civil, decent people who had any clue of what they were talking about.

- I will frequent much less - obviously - just becasue sh*thead trolls like Scotty D have any sway here. This is a guy who has almost literally never been right about anything on this site, is always uncivil about it, and is consistently incapable of even making decent cases for his poorly thought out opinions. If I am not banned, yay - see you in the Fall/Winter. If I am, so be it and I will just talk baseball on some other site where casuals like a Scotty D or GimmeShelter aren't around to pretend baseball stats and prospects are magic and witchcraft. Scotty D should be a little happy about this since that's one less poster who consistently, for years, schools him on sports, football and baseball, on this football/sports forum. 

- Apologies to the Cubs fans here for biting the troll bait during the season, but these were just such sh*tty, sh*tty people allowed to be sh*tty, sh*tty people. 

<3 XOXO

Bye.

Have fun taking your ball and going home. too bad you can't converse in an adult way, when someone does not buy into your sanctimonious opinions.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, SenorGato said:

Apologies to the Cubs fans here for biting the troll bait during the season, but these were just such sh*tty, sh*tty people allowed to be sh*tty, sh*tty people. 

Actually all the other Cubs fans have no issues talking baseball and responding to the Mets fans you childishly attack because they don't worship your re-blogged info. 

No one will miss you sport. The one person who inquired about you in a friendly manner was attacked by you despite being a Cubs fan. .

You're like Jason Heyward....overrated and not worth the debate. 

16 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Actually all the other Cubs fans have no issues talking baseball and responding to the Mets fans you childishly attack because they don't worship your re-blogged info. 

No one will miss you sport. The one person who inquired about you in a friendly manner was attacked by you despite being a Cubs fan. .

That's really not fair to Heyward. He's just having a rough year. I'm still ecstatic that he's a Cub.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Baez cost us a run on a mental mistake tonight. 

Unfortunately it was the only run in the ball game giving us an L.

I think he learns from it and continues to be the guy Joe sticks where (pitcher dependent) they are likely to hit the ball to most.

Phenomenal ball player that we were smart to pick and develop.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Big Cubs fan this week.  We need you guys to take care of Pitt and SF for us.  Just got my tix for the Friday afternoon game at Wrigley.

Go Cubs Go!!!

I'm going Sunday bro -

I think Joe will throw a small amount of priority at rest - but obviously these are 2 teams we can see in the post season and we have a lot of September games with the Reds, Brewers, and Astros. We need to play SF, Pitt, and the Sh!tbirds like it was the WS to get confidence up going into October.

2 hours ago, NJ said:

I'm going Sunday bro -

I think Joe will throw a small amount of priority at rest - but obviously these are 2 teams we can see in the post season and we have a lot of September games with the Reds, Brewers, and Astros. We need to play SF, Pitt, and the Sh!tbirds like it was the WS to get confidence up going into October.

I am not too worried about Joe resting regulars this early - may be a little more predisposed to give a guy an occasional day off and watch pitch counts for starters and innings for relievers.  I don't often get to go to Wrigley and root for the Cubs, will be a different experience being with the majority this week -- doesn't happen often.

You ever make it to Country Club anymore?  Haven't seen you there in years.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I am not too worried about Joe resting regulars this early - may be a little more predisposed to give a guy an occasional day off and watch pitch counts for starters and innings for relievers.  I don't often get to go to Wrigley and root for the Cubs, will be a different experience being with the majority this week -- doesn't happen often.

You ever make it to Country Club anymore?  Haven't seen you there in years.

Johnno (slomoe57) and I have been kinda hanging at BWW's in the burbs for the last 2 seasons  - but that's all over now that he's moved downtown to a high rise.

i guess one of the reasons I never made a huge effort to come down was the bar changing to a Country genre. 

That sh!t makes my skin crawl and as much as 30 seconds of it is objectionable to me. Do they play it at halftime or have it on before the game? 

I'll absolutely be down this season  - I can (and will) go outside and partake in the craziness of Clark Street if they crank up the yee ha crap.

Look forward to seeing you and being with the other Gang Green faithful in a few weeks - the D's going to look tough.  

11 hours ago, NJ said:

Johnno (slomoe57) and I have been kinda hanging at BWW's in the burbs for the last 2 seasons  - but that's all over now that he's moved downtown to a high rise.

i guess one of the reasons I never made a huge effort to come down was the bar changing to a Country genre. 

That sh!t makes my skin crawl and as much as 30 seconds of it is objectionable to me. Do they play it at halftime or have it on before the game? 

I'll absolutely be down this season  - I can (and will) go outside and partake in the craziness of Clark Street if they crank up the yee ha crap.

Look forward to seeing you and being with the other Gang Green faithful in a few weeks - the D's going to look tough.  

Yeah, the country music sucks, but I would still rather watch a game with a bunch of Jet fans who know how I feel during the highs and the lows instead of sitting by myself in BWW, in front of a TV with no sound and hundreds of streaming Bear fans in the background.  I used to do that every Sunday with my son before he went off to college and then moved to Iowa.  Look forward to seeing you sometime this season.

Back on topic.  Nice win last night.  Great night of baseball, right after Ces walked off in our game, I tuned in just in time to see Contreras and Soler tie the game.  Didn't see your guys win it.  Extra innings after a rain delay was a little too late for me with the alarm going off at 5:15 AM the next morning.  But thanks, we need the help.

On August 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM, GimmeShelter said:

You spent 10+ pages trolling, you dumb ****, because I made you upset about your sh*tty team. Clearly I - like Heyward - was worth plenty. Like my comments on the Cubs, Heyward's value will bare out in the long run. Beyond dipsh*ts like yourself out for a troll, sensible/non-casual fans weren't looking for a $184 million dollar season, which is not superstar money in today's MLB.

80 - did you get the gig as a Jr. RJF  yet? Bag a black chick, you sly dog you? Rooting for you big guy! 

I see that ****boy Scotty D responded to me in my notifications, but I will almost definitely never see that post. Gooooo **** yourself Scotttaaaaay

-----

Kris Bryant:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17430087/mlb-viewers-guide-september

There are excellent cases to be made for Daniel Murphy, Nolan Arenado and Corey Seager. But the NL MVP award feels like it's Kris Bryant's to lose. The Cubs' mad masher is on pace for 44 homers, 39 doubles, 136 runs scored, 188 hits, 81 walks and very close to a .300/.400/.600 slash line. For the best team in baseball. The only men since 1900 with a season like that were Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. Whoa.

It's sick how this guy has gotten his K rate down so much this season. That makes him a threat to pull this feat off once or twice in the next few years. The lineup has a whole, at least non-pitchers, has shaved nearly 5% off the K rate from last year. Just a sick, sick offence that hasn't even peaked yet.

----

Not that this hasn't been the case all year, but especially for the past couple weeks the ~exact difference between the Cubs' non-pitcher lineup and the Red Sox's lineup has been the % of balls that happen to fall in for a hit (Cubs' BABIP .306, Sox's .325 or so). Otherwise the Cubs get on base more, have a little more power, walk more, and generally go about their business without what generally boils down to luck on balls in play. Jah pray for the MLB if this Cubs' lineup as a whole were to generate a .320+ BABIP over the course of a full season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

To expand....The Cubs' offence stacks with the best offense in the AL and this is with:

- Schwarber out for almost the entire season

- Heyward having a season way below his career numbers

- Russell being only 22, starting pretty slow (.795 OPS in the second half)

- Contreras not being the primary starter at C all year 

Cub hitters outperforming their peripherals this year: Fowler and Baez

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheCCO_Minors/status/772179218004254720

17 YO killed it in the AZL this year and was a pretty major IFA signing from Mexico. Not sure if I talked about him here, but on the Cubs site I post on he was one of my favourite follows this year just behind Jimenez. The Cubs scout who signed him, Sergio Hernandez, called him a potential five tool talent. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a 17 YO with such an outside stateside performance and debut in Cubs history. Paredes is on a pretty badass career track if he can keep it up, and the periphs suggest he can/will/might.

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheCCO_Minors/status/772179218004254720

17 YO killed it in the AZL this year and was a pretty major IFA signing from Mexico. Not sure if I talked about him here, but on the Cubs site I post on he was one of my favourite follows this year just behind Jimenez. The Cubs scout who signed him, Sergio Hernandez, called him a potential five tool talent. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a 17 YO with such an outside stateside performance and debut in Cubs history. Paredes is on a pretty badass career track if he can keep it up, and the periphs suggest he can/will/might.

How often did you watch him play?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1