2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

I have to admit that Javier Baez is my favorite part of the postseason so far along with David Ross:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SLGreenberg/status/786068813301288961

Also heard that some reporter asked him a question on how well rounded the Cubs are and he went on about he is an excellent fielder and is hitting well right now. 

Then there was this, yet another badass Baez tag this season:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBGIFs/status/786061267882635265/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/keithlaw/status/787037582488014848?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This guy has some nerve. Has he even seen a HS baseball game that he is commenting willy nilly on a prospect? 

This Eloy Jimenez really might be a thing. 20 years old next year and he's set up to play AA ball. He's walked 3 times with just one K in his first ~15 PAs in the AFL, along with that HR and a couple singles.

3 prospects in the Cubs' system (2B Happ, RF Jimenez, C Caratini) made up the 3-4-5 of the Mesa Solar Sox today. They went 5/12 with a HR, 2B, 2 BBs, 2 RS, and 0 Ks. Two are probably top 50 prospects in baseball, maybe Jimenez is higher, and then Caratini has a case for the top 100 as an age appropriate switch hitting C prospect that will stay a C.

14 hours ago, SenorGato said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/keithlaw/status/787037582488014848?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This guy has some nerve. Has he even seen a HS baseball game that he is commenting willy nilly on a prospect? 

This Eloy Jimenez really might be a thing. 20 years old next year and he's set up to play AA ball. He's walked 3 times with just one K in his first ~15 PAs in the AFL, along with that HR and a couple singles.

3 prospects in the Cubs' system (2B Happ, RF Jimenez, C Caratini) made up the 3-4-5 of the Mesa Solar Sox today. They went 5/12 with a HR, 2B, 2 BBs, 2 RS, and 0 Ks. Two are probably top 50 prospects in baseball, maybe Jimenez is higher, and then Caratini has a case for the top 100 as an age appropriate switch hitting C prospect that will stay a C.

I am pretty sure that Keith Law has scouted HS baseball players, and even saw the prospect he was just tweeting about.

My laughter comes from people that have never seen a player, then try to project that player based on others comments and numbers. A silly exercise at best. Regurgitating others opinions is one thing, saying and then rating those players based on someone else opinion, highly laughable. Just me. 

21 hours ago, chirorob said:

Congrats

Hope it's you and the Indians.  Some one's long standing pain goes away, someone's gets worse.

Blah. I kinda get tired of this. If you're in Chicago and you're under the age of 40 you have legit seen two dynasties. It's not like you have lived a tortured sports life.

That is unless of course you're a front running ninny that's not from Chicago, don't contribute anything to this community, and only started rooting for the team about 5-6 years ago. Then yeah, maybe you don't fall into that category. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Blah. I kinda get tired of this. If you're in Chicago and you're under the age of 40 you have legit seen two dynasties. It's not like you have lived a tortured sports life.

That is unless of course you're a front running ninny that's not from Chicago, don't contribute anything to this community, and only started rooting for the team about 5-6 years ago. Then yeah, maybe you don't fall into that category. 

The reality is, with 32 teams, the average fan is going to go 50-60 years between championships.  Especially considering they can go in bunches.  How many NFL teams still haven't won a SB?  In the last 20 years in baseball, the Yanks got 5, Red Sox got 3, Giants got 3, and the rest of MLB has 11.  (Cards have 3 as well?).

And basketball?  You only need that core, and keep it together, if you can start a run, it's there.  If you can't start one, you'll never get there.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

The reality is, with 32 teams, the average fan is going to go 50-60 years between championships.  Especially considering they can go in bunches.  How many NFL teams still haven't won a SB?  In the last 20 years in baseball, the Yanks got 5, Red Sox got 3, Giants got 3, and the rest of MLB has 11.  (Cards have 3 as well?).

And basketball?  You only need that core, and keep it together, if you can start a run, it's there.  If you can't start one, you'll never get there.

This x1000. Last year when the Mets beat the Cubs I had to hear the 100 years crap. Get out of my face with that bullish*t. You've gotten nothing but sports joy between the months of October and April for almost your entire life in some form or another.

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am pretty sure that Keith Law has scouted HS baseball players, and even saw the prospect he was just tweeting about.

My laughter comes from people that have never seen a player, then try to project that player based on others comments and numbers. A silly exercise at best. Regurgitating others opinions is one thing, saying and then rating those players based on someone else opinion, highly laughable. Just me. 

I'm at a loss as to what other peoples' numbers are. Other players' stats? Do you need to invent baseball stats to know prospects? Are these people who have never seen prospects, viewings reserved only for a select few on the planet and all, using the statistics of other players? Picked at random? That does seem laughable. Who are these people, I wonder, Scotttaaaay!??!

16 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I'm at a loss as to what other peoples' numbers are. Other players' stats? Do you need to invent baseball stats to know prospects? Are these people who have never seen prospects, viewings reserved only for a select few on the planet and all, using the statistics of other players? Picked at random? That does seem laughable. Who are these people, I wonder, Scotttaaaay!??!

I am assuming this made sense in your head. We will leave it at that.

Congrats on last night. Enjoy that.

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am assuming this made sense in your head. We will leave it at that.

Congrats on last night. Enjoy that.

16 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I'm at a loss as to what other peoples' numbers are

I mean, more relevant is whether what you said could make sense in anyone's head. I was just looking for answers and insight from the source, a seasoned HS baseball watcher of a couple years with super secret insider info. Hell, I only stuck to that hack job point when I could have broken down how nonsensical that whole post of yours was.

I did enjoy last night, same as all year, Scottttaaaaaay. This team is excellent.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I mean, more relevant is whether what you said could make sense in anyone's head. I was just looking for answers and insight from the source, a seasoned HS baseball watcher of a couple years with super secret insider info. Hell, I only stuck to that hack job point when I could have broken down how nonsensical that whole post of yours was.

I did enjoy last night, same as all year, Scottttaaaaaay. This team is excellent.

We all cannot have your insight based on your minor league experience. Great job Aec.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Ignoring the whole imagined based on minor league experienced thing, I'm thinking less all and more the guy who cites his expertise based on seeing some HS baseball recently. I will wipe the sweat off my forehead that I fall under imaginary minor league experience rather thooooose other people who rely on whatever the numbers of others are and regurgitated opinions from higher sources. 

-----

I noticed Lester looked annoyed when he got called back to the bench with ~80 pitches after an 89 pitch start, but I like that Maddon and the AL managers this postseason have been quick to pull their SPs. It's not a knock on Lester, I'd rather SPs not be worked like Boxer and more of a long game is played there. There are more pitchers in bullpens, more good pitchers in bullpens these days, and most of the best ones are former starters that have built significant arm strength and weren't worked crazy hard in season. The Cubs basically coasted and have been setting up their October pitching situatuon since August, so my guess is Lester will have a 100+ pitch outing this postseason if need be.

THAT said, I also understand why the Dodgers are using Kershaw like they are this postseason. He's a HOF caliber pitcher in his prime, he was injured this year and is therefore more likely to get hurt next year, and is entering a window at 29 next year where SPs stumble a little bit. This all kind of forces their hand here, and so far he's done what a great can do. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Ignoring the whole imagined based on minor league experienced thing, I'm thinking less all and more the guy who cites his expertise based on seeing some HS baseball recently. I will wipe the sweat off my forehead that I fall under imaginary minor league experience rather thooooose other people who rely on whatever the numbers of others are and regurgitated opinions from higher sources. 

-----

I noticed Lester looked annoyed when he got called back to the bench with ~80 pitches after an 89 pitch start, but I like that Maddon and the AL managers this postseason have been quick to pull their SPs. It's not a knock on Lester, I'd rather SPs not be worked like Boxer and more of a long game is played there. There are more pitchers in bullpens, more good pitchers in bullpens these days, and most of the best ones are former starters that have built significant arm strength and weren't worked crazy hard in season. The Cubs basically coasted and have been setting up their October pitching situatuon since August, so my guess is Lester will have a 100+ pitch outing this postseason if need be.

THAT said, I also understand why the Dodgers are using Kershaw like they are this postseason. He's a HOF caliber pitcher in his prime, he was injured this year and is therefore more likely to get hurt next year, and is entering a window at 29 next year where SPs stumble a little bit. This all kind of forces their hand here, and so far he's done what a great can do. 

Thing is, I never claim any expertise. Jut calling bull on your little chest thumping based on vapid regurgitation..

Have fun with the game tonight.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thing is, I never claim any expertise. Jut calling bull on your little chest thumping based on vapid regurgitation..

Have fun with the game tonight.

So am I regurgitating or pulling things out of my ass? How can it be both? It wouldn't work out. Why wouldn't your feeble attempts to call bull on the prospect stuff go like literally everything else I've said that you've tried to call bull on here lol? The only difference on this is that the prospect stuff is a slower burn than the stuff about the Cubs being, clearly, the best team in baseball this year that you kept swinging and missing on. Also, I think we both claimed expertise given what your standards seem to be as far as what counts towards making that kind of statement.

Scottttaaaaaaay, it's going to be a blasty blast as it's been all year. You enjoy the rest of the golf weather. Stay miserable, bud! I guess I will never be treated to an explanation of what "others' numbers" are, sucks because I bet it would be a doozy.

Funny how the guy who's been the Cubs fan the least amount of time (by far) on this forum is the one that talks the most junk, has the thinnest skin, and acts like a petulant child towards anyone who dares make fun of him or question his attitude.  Even Max had to tell him to chill but I imagine he'll spend this whole offseason seemingly hellbent on getting this thread closed. 

All the other Cubs fans on this forum are cool.  Sad that one has to be such a tool in the midst of a great postseason run.  I'm still rooting for the Cubs over the other teams remaining, for whatever its worth. 

I have to give these dummies credit for their camaraderie. I think it's adorable you're here to help your buddy 80, that's the most consistent thing about this little group, but it's very hard to take you seriously given your dramatic shift over time. Did you ever get that gig as RJF's RH here? I was rooting for you to land it.

I'm still devastated that I will never hear the gem of an explanation for what the numbers of others were or whatever that thing was. I just know it would be worth a couple hard laughs by itself. Circle the wagons!

----

What a strange first PA that just was by Contreras. I couldn't guess wtf the purpose was to that, definitely wasn't making him throw a bunch of pitches.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how the guy who's been the Cubs fan the least amount of time (by far) on this forum is the one that talks the most junk, has the thinnest skin, and acts like a petulant child towards anyone who dares make fun of him or question his attitude.  Even Max had to tell him to chill but I imagine he'll spend this whole offseason seemingly hellbent on getting this thread closed. 

All the other Cubs fans on this forum are cool.  Sad that one has to be such a tool in the midst of a great postseason run.  I'm still rooting for the Cubs over the other teams remaining, for whatever its worth. 

Remember when he ran off crying that he was never gonna post here again and then showed back up and insulted someone's family and didn't calm down until the site administrator had to threaten to ban him and then he stomped his feet about how he paid out money to go to a baseball scouting camp so we had to bow down to his opinions? Good times. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Remember when he ran off crying that he was never gonna post here again 

Yeah, that's not how it went down. Can any one of you actually hit a nail on the head, even once? It shouldn't be the pulling teeth process you dolts make it seem to get any detail right, ever. Even accounting for no one being as smart as they imagine themselves to be, particularly yourself, it's really as if some of you go full dumb when entering this thread.

Did 80 land the gig btw?!?!? 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, that's not how it went down. Can any one of you actually hit a nail on the head, even once? It shouldn't be the pulling teeth process you dolts make it seem to get any detail right, ever. Even accounting for no one being as smart as they imagine themselves to be, particularly yourself by many miles, it's really as if some of you go full dumb when entering this thread.

Remember when you ran off crying that you were never gonna post here again and then showed back up and insulted someone's family and didn't calm down until the site administrator had to threaten to ban you and then you stomped your feet about how you paid out money to go to a baseball scouting camp so we had to bow down to your opinions? Good times. 

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Remember when you ran off crying that you were never gonna post here again 

Yeah, that's not how it went down. Can any one of you actually hit a nail on the head, even once? It shouldn't be the pulling teeth process you dolts make it seem to get any detail right, ever. Even accounting for no one being as smart as they imagine themselves to be, particularly yourself, it's really as if some of you choose to go full dumb when entering this thread.

Did 80 land the gig btw?!?!? He's into black chicks, broseph. That's pretty edgy.

Having a thin skin is no way to go through life.  The team you've been a longtime fan for since the start of this decade is playing an NLCS game right now.  Hush now, go and have your supposed "blasty blast" and watch the game before you get this thread locked for actual Cubs fans who want to discuss their team.  Again. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Having a thin skin is no way to go through life.  The team you've been a longtime fan for since the start of this decade is playing an NLCS game right now.  Hush now, go and have your supposed "blasty blast" and watch the game before you get this thread locked for actual Cubs fans who want to discuss their team.  Again. 

Hey man, he spent an inordinate amount of time being incapable of delivering pizzas and memorizing quotes from 1984 before landing this gig. Respek the hustle.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Having a thin skin is no way to go through life.  

Tell me about it. One prod about dumb dumbs claimed ML draft expertise because he has seen HS baseball recently and I have to tolerate three of you softees trying your darndest. It's tedious but the baseball team I like being way better than the baseball team you like is srs bidness.