2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Meh, this is still the [much] better team, needs to lose two more for any of these losses to matter, and Cleveland's pitching staff is running on fumes the rest of the series. You've got Kluber with a career high workload throwing on 3 days rest, then Jah knows what. This site got souped last week when the Dodgers totally definitely had the Cubs on the ropes last week. Notice we only hear from certain posters when the Cubs lose, and even then they're hedging because facts are facts and the Cubs are that good.

I'm happy the series is extended because Game 3 was the game I could not watch all the way through. I watched 3 innings before I had to cave and sleep. 

I still think the whole "no garauntees" is a bit corny and cliche btw. This team was already head and shoulders above everyone else without anything like luck, with injuries and down years from significant talents, and no one even close to a career season except Fowler. It's going to take monumental sh*t to take this franchise down, and two WS losses out of 4 still aren't it. I'll be shocked if they lose this series even, but still fully expect them to shown up at least twice more before the decade closes.

I was just making a ferris bueller joke because the movie is set in a chicago suburb and they go to a cubs game in the movie.  hell I was nervous and I watch 10 baseball games a year, lol

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Winning championships are hard.  The Cubs are only 3 wins away from winning their first tile in 108 years.  There's no guarantee that this Cubs team, even with this young talent, will get back to this point again.

Live for today

Exactly.

Experienced, real, baseball fans know this tenet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

No, not that I can think of and this really does not matter anyway. 

Black cat of '69

Bull Durham ground ball

Choke in Bartman NLCS

June swoons

Those are just a few. Like you mentioned, those have nothing to do with this year,  but that does not mean the Cubs are not known for some memorable gags. The Mets have the same type of history, but have also come through a few times.

Just saying. 

50 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Black cat of '69

Bull Durham ground ball

Choke in Bartman NLCS

June swoons

Those are just a few. Like you mentioned, those have nothing to do with this year,  but that does not mean the Cubs are not known for some memorable gags. The Mets have the same type of history, but have also come through a few times.

Just saying. 

Yeah, cats and some fan trying to catch a ball aren't major catastrophes that throw a franchise off for years. The young pitching blowing up last decade would be a more real example. That is what young pitching does more often than not historically, so they went in a much more stable direction this time and developed high end hitters. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Black cat of '69

Bull Durham ground ball

Choke in Bartman NLCS

June swoons

Just saying. 

Hard to really grasp that stuff when you're not from the town and only started rooting for the team a few years ago.

5 hours ago, The Troll said:

Since everyone else is showing nothing but bravado, I guess I'll be the one that states unequivocally that I am ******* terrified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah on understanding your pre-game jitters but it's still nice to have a Saturday night prime time WS game with your team involved.

Besides Kluber in game 4, the Cubs SP pitching has the edge and it's not even close. Bats are due as well.

Met fans went though the same nerves last year with the lead in much of those WS games only to watch the pen and defense cough it up.

Enjoy and good luck!.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hard to really grasp that stuff when you're not from the town and only started rooting for the team a few years ago.

Harder to grasp them as explanations when they don't actually explain anything.

I do enjoy that the narrative shifted in this direction once it become obvious and easy to the casual baseball fans/Mets homers of this forum that everything I've said about these Cubs is true. Like if *that's* the best the little group's self designated leader can come up with then I'm good for some time.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Harder to grasp them as explanations when they don't actually explain anything.

I do enjoy that the narrative shifted in this direction once it become obvious and easy to the casual baseball fans/Mets homers of this forum that everything I've said about these Cubs is true. Like if *that's* the best the little group's self designated leader can come up with then I'm good for some time.

Dierking wanted the job actually, but the committee felt he wouldn't be able to be impartial after you insulted his kid.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dierking wanted the job actually, but the committee felt he wouldn't be able to be impartial after you insulted his kid.

Welp, can't always get what we want right? It doesn't seem being impartial is a requirement THO. If anything impartiality would be working against the cause. My impression was that the role was created to attempt to funnel and mold the butthurt into something a little more coherent and cohesive than the previous 5 months of hackery.

The two seamer that was killing the Cubs the other night does not appear to be there tonight. I saw 91 without much against Fowler. The wind got the Zobrist fly and kept it in, but they're not struggling here to make contact.

This Kluber - on short rest well past his career high in IP - looks nothing like the one the other night. Already leaning on his breaking ball, which is neither as hard or crisp as the other night....Fastball velocity looks down, movement definitely isn't there...Thanks, Indians!

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This lineup really chokes at home in the playoffs. They couldn't put up any runs in the NLCS either. 

Nothing but sympathy to the people who paid thousands for tickets the past two days. I know what it's like to splurge for WS tickets and it doesn't work out. It sucks. 

On the other hand, prices for game 5 are dropping like a rock.  Might be worth a  trip over there tomorrow if they keep falling.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Still $750 for SRO. If prices plunge and I can get my butt in a seat for $250 I just might have to. 

I was thinking the same.  I will check it out in the AM.  Planning to be in Lincoln Park to watch the Jets anyway.  Couple of stops on the red line to Wrigley.  But not at $800 a ticket.

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Like you said, everything you have said has been right

Well, certainly among the things you tried to fight Scotttttaaaaay. Believe me buddy, I'm fully aware you need this more than me. 

Trevor Bauer, Josh Tomlin, and more Kluber on short rest coming up