Jump to content

2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats to Troll and NJ.  Real fans even back during the tough times.  Hoping the Cubs win the WS for you guys. 

Ironically enough, in 1997, I was a 13 year old Indians fan. It wasn't my first baseball heartbreak. That would be whenever Albert Belle signed with the White Sox. That son of a bitch. It's tough to r

Thanks Rob - it was a phenomenal season. I think it gave  - truth be told - my favorite sport a shot in the arm too which just adds to the special nature of what happened here. I was at the first

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What a game. Maddon has some serious balls to leave in Chapman instead of pinch hitting Schwarber in the 8th.

Not saying he doesn't have balls -  but there were no choices there.

Strop, Rhondon, and Grimm throw great breaking hard stuff  - till they can't throw it for strikes which is pretty much every time they take the mound - then they serve up meat so as not to walk anyone. And we saw what Wood did last night.

Omar (my pet nickname for Chapman - as in Omar Little in The Wire) was the only choice here in my book  .. whenever Joe calls him in I look over at my lady and say "Omah commin"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJ said:

Not saying he doesn't have balls -  but there were no choices there.

Strop, Rhondon, and Grimm throw great breaking hard stuff  - till they can't throw it for strikes which is pretty much every time they take the mound - then they serve up meat so as not to walk anyone. And we saw what Wood did last night.

Omar (my pet nickname for Chapman - as in Omar Little in The Wire) was the only choice here in my book  .. whenever Joe calls him in I look over at my lady and say "Omah commin"

Oh for sure. Plus he was well rested. But you still have to choose between leaving a run on the board with him pushing him 3 innings. It was the right call. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NJ said:

Not saying he doesn't have balls -  but there were no choices there.

Strop, Rhondon, and Grimm throw great breaking hard stuff  - till they can't throw it for strikes which is pretty much every time they take the mound - then they serve up meat so as not to walk anyone. And we saw what Wood did last night.

Omar (my pet nickname for Chapman - as in Omar Little in The Wire) was the only choice here in my book  .. whenever Joe calls him in I look over at my lady and say "Omah commin"

It is great for baseball that this is a 6 or 7 game series and still a toss-up.

It has been a great postseason for the mlb.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the Cubs win last night. I am not ready for the baseball season to end.

I think the pressure now falls on Cleveland for game 6.  I would love to see the Cubs jump out early and take the crowd out of the game, make them a bit edgy and see if that negative energy starts to affect the Indians.

I think that is what I really love about this series. You have two teams that haven't won in over 60 years (Over 100 for the Cubs) and the fans (at least in my opinion) can have an effect on the series, good or bad. You saw it in the Cubs pretty much throughout the playoffs that their hitters seem to tense up when they have played at home. Now let's see if the Indians don't start gripping the bats a little tighter at home with two shots to close it out.

I love it !!!! I can't wait for game 6.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Glad to see the Cubs win last night. I am not ready for the baseball season to end.

I think the pressure now falls on Cleveland for game 6.  I would love to see the Cubs jump out early and take the crowd out of the game, make them a bit edgy and see if that negative energy starts to affect the Indians.

I think that is what I really love about this series. You have two teams that haven't won in over 60 years (Over 100 for the Cubs) and the fans (at least in my opinion) can have an effect on the series, good or bad. You saw it in the Cubs pretty much throughout the playoffs that their hitters seem to tense up when they have played at home. Now let's see if the Indians don't start gripping the bats a little tighter at home with two shots to close it out.

I love it !!!! I can't wait for game 6.

I think the crowd for game 6 is going to be similar to game 2. Lotta Cubs fans are traveling for this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is great for baseball that this is a 6 or 7 game series and still a toss-up.

It has been a great postseason for the mlb.

Exactly.  It would be awesome to go 7

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is great for baseball that this is a 6 or 7 game series and still a toss-up.

It has been a great postseason for the mlb.

Yes it has, especially when juxtaposed with how sh*tty the NFL has been overall.  True, the Jets awfulness has been part of it, but the NFL ratings are down as a whole for good reason. 

Hell, even the NHL has taken a nice boost in my mind as an alternative to the NFL.  And I'm not even much of a hockey fan. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes it has, especially when juxtaposed with how sh*tty the NFL has been overall.  True, the Jets awfulness has been part of it, but the NFL ratings are down as a whole for good reason. 

Hell, even the NHL has taken a nice boost in my mind as an alternative to the NFL.  And I'm not even much of a hockey fan. 

NFL is pretty much 3rd on my list now with a chance to fall to 4th if the Rangers are any good.  NFL can't sniff NBA and MLB for me and a lot of fans.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes it has, especially when juxtaposed with how sh*tty the NFL has been overall.  True, the Jets awfulness has been part of it, but the NFL ratings are down as a whole for good reason. 

Hell, even the NHL has taken a nice boost in my mind as an alternative to the NFL.  And I'm not even much of a hockey fan. 

I am a diehard fairweather Devils fan and have to concur here. Hockey has started to creep up on everyone's radar again. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a die-hard baseball (the sport, history, strategies, and 'game within the game' aspects), but casual MLB/Yankees fan, this series has been a lot of fun. 

I'm half-heartedly rooting Cleveland because even as a Yanks fan in the '90s, the Indians were always a ton of fun. In fact, as a kid, if I really needed to own one of my douchebag friends in Ken Griffey Jr or Triple Play on SNES, I played as the Indians.

So there's that. Otherwise, I just wanted to see a really fun series. And this has lived up to it so far.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lester....Bryant....Rizzo....and Chapman....What a spectacle, exactly what the folks at home want as media rights comes up at the end of the decade. They crushed the SNF ratings - no joke of a game either with Cowboys/Eagle. Now Schwarber is back in the lineup for 6, with Arrieta on the mound, and hopefully 7. I could not be more excited. I love that, of all the RHers available, Edwards Jr. got the call - short as that was. That says a ton about what this org thinks of him.

Chapmam was topping 100 40+ pitches in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Yep, Smoltz did call Schwarber the Cubs' Babe Ruth. That was real. He is not this club's best hitter nor is he really particularly close to a historic one, let alone a GOAT candidate.

I think that was a reference to the hype he's been getting, not a literal comparison

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this holds, the way this game is playing out is going to make for some awesome baseball. A blowout game means Cleveland's big 3 in the bullpen is going to be very well rested and maybe Maddon even gives Chapman an extra day. It's going to be cool to see both these teams at full strength (well at least playoff full strength for Cleveland) with their best pitchers on the mound. Perfect setup for a great game 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Larz said:

chapman up 5 in the 7th ?

that's insane

I agree dude - I know he's thinking he's got Lester and Lackey to throw tomorrow night - but that's also more of the Indians seeing his stuff if he does get into game 7. Hope it's not a regrettable move.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...