2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goes back to Abraham Lincoln vs. Stephen A. Douglas, I would think.  Half of Illinois was split over slavery in the 1850s/early 1860s.

Much more 20th century related and Chicago-centric. While the franchise rivalry began when Comiskey moved the team here in the early 1900s, the city divide over the teams began when the Daley machine geographically split the city between the north and the south (along with the west) on purpose in order to keep blacks out of the downtown loop. After white flight and suburbanization from the 50s to around the 90s, the old cliche used to be: More Sox fans in the city, more Cubs fans in the suburbs. But this has changed big time in the past 10-20 years as yuppies have been coming back to the city. Much of the West side is wholly Cubs territory now, and they're even creeping into the Southside a bit as older neighborhoods have become gentrified.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Much more 20th century related and Chicago-centric. While the franchise rivalry began when Comiskey moved the team here in the early 1900s, the city divide over the teams began when the Daley machine geographically split the city between the north and the south (along with the west) on purpose in order to keep blacks out of the downtown loop. After white flight and suburbanization from the 50s to around the 90s, the old cliche used to be: More Sox fans in the city, more Cubs fans in the suburbs. But this has changed big time in the past 10-20 years as yuppies have been coming back to the city. Much of the West side is wholly Cubs territory now, and they're even creeping into the Southside a bit as older neighborhoods have become gentrified.

Yea, my understanding was that the divide was more affluence/racially motivated.  

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yea, my understanding was that the divide was more affluence/racially motivated.  

Almost exclusively. One thing I always suggest to people who visit is try to get here when both the Sox and Cubs have homestands so you can check out both parks. The divide that exists between the compositions of both bases is astounding and it's a great way to get a feel for that. 

I said it initially, I'll say it again. You don't need to answer if you don't want to. Enjoy the win.

However, if you really want to keep going, I'll play. Your answer provided the response to, "how are you a fan of THAT team, when you're not from there". That's fine. I have cousins in bumble**** South Carolina; brothers actually. One is a Mavs fan, one is a Raiders fan, and both are USC Gamecock fans. I get that when you're not from a place with a major team, you latch on to what you want.

My question was how that changed. I just don't understand how you can be a fanatic - going through the highs if there are any, and dreadful lows of which there are plenty; including something like the '90s Indians, and then just say, 'well, I'm done. I think I'll move on to another team, and not just that, but as a teenager, I'll take over their burden of 108 years too."

Again, it's clear from this thread that at least for the past 3-4 years, you've been a loyal cubs fan. So good on you. Enjoy the win. I'm not trying to take away from it....I'm just asking because I don't understand. 

Let me go hop in my time machine and ask 13 year old me what makes him tick.

You know, actually, nevermind. I already told you. The Indians lost my favorite players. I discovered I can watch the Cubs almost every day. No time machine needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Troll said:

You know, actually, nevermind. I already told you. The Indians lost my favorite players. I discovered I can watch the Cubs almost every day. No time machine needed.

13 year old you should have realized you were only allowed to be a New Orleans Zephyrs fan and that one day you'd get questioned about your Cubs fandom the day after your team wins the damn WS after a 108 year drought.  DUH

10 minutes ago, The Troll said:

My bad. Didn't realize the Cubbies and the Jets were local TV down in La. 

I'm done with this. Genuine curiosity turned into something else completely.

Enjoy your win. 

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My bad. Didn't realize the Cubbies and the Jets were local TV down in La. 

I'm done with this. Genuine curiosity turned into something else completely.

Enjoy your win. 

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Cry for him. 

And his 13 year old self. 

Go get your f*ckin shinebox. 

No cars flipped, no fires. No looting and no violence. Just some reports of drunken fans falling off curbs and whatnot. There will probably be some disappointing murder stats from the Southside as there always is when resources have to be concentrated North, but that is the way you celebrate a sports championship. Well done Cubs fans. 

• Upvote 1

I am loving this The Troll reveal and the dump it takes on yet another cornball troll narrative from this thread's 2016.

----

What else....On the Cubs/White Sox fans things...I have to admit that a couple things that bother me is how happy so many yuppy white people are today and the obviously invigorated, aggressive process of gentrification around Wrigley and in Chicago. Seems very similar to the process NY went through when the Yankees were doing their thing, I say ignorantly.

---

Last but not least....dual fronts:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/793466240606044160

He's hitting .256/.347/.512 with an 18.4% K rate as a 19 YO in the AFL. He will play in the AS game this Saturday.

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Soooo.....no numbers and more nonsensical rambling? I'm putting on my shocked face. 

Knock yourself out Mr. Fantasy baseball....Practice in the mirror for when you understand you're blowing the wrong guy

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Knock yourself out Mr. Fantasy baseball....Practice in the mirror for when you understand you're blowing the wrong guy

What does any of this even mean? Is there a point being made? What is it about this Cubs team that sends some of you off the deep end for no particular reason?

Where are these OBP, contact, walks, base running, and defense based fantasy leagues Heyward dominates? 

----

I like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliGieryna/status/789297756464553984?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

2 hours ago, The Troll said:

For what it's worth, I spent a tick rooting for the Braves when I was "mad" at the Mets in the late-80's, early-90's because they got rid of my favorite players. Nobody explained how the unwritten rules of adult fanhood worked to me. They let me root for who I wanted. I'd walk around rocking a Braves jersey and a Mets hat like I was in a Tribe Called Quest. 

My buddies from childhood still give me sh*t about it. I don't care. You shouldn't either. We all walk a different path, and if sports matters to you, different teams can accompany you through different parts of your life. You develop a soft-spot for them. If you're lucky, you have that one team from "home" that is your team forever... but everyone has their own experience. It is what it is.

As long as you don't jump on the Patriots bandwagon. Then you deserve to have your dick slammed in the door.

Just now, SenorGato said:

What does any of this even mean? Is there a point being made? What is it about this Cubs team that sends some of you off the deep end for no particular reason?

----

I like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliGieryna/status/789297756464553984?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It means that as soon as you resort to ad hominem insults you prove you're a pussy. And indeed an antagonizing ****. And that you're a wannabe baseball internet guy that wants to believe he knows some sh*t. Dude you're a baseball grasshopper. These tweets and links you put up just show you're in la la land.....

I am now part of the Mets fan conspiracy persecution of your tired, angry butt hurt ass...that obviously goes beyond baseball and your presence on this website. Lol

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

It means that as soon as you resort to ad hominem insults you prove you're a pussy. And indeed an antagonizing ****. And that you're a wannabe baseball internet guy that wants to believe he knows some sh*t. Dude you're a baseball grasshopper. These tweets and links you put up just show you're in la la land.....

I am now part of the Mets fan conspiracy persecution of your tired, angry butt hurt ass...that obviously goes beyond baseball and your presence on this website. Lol

Have you never posted with Gato before? LOL, I mean... 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

More unreadable rambling.....You literally said the numbers agree with you on their careers, cannot provide anything that actually supports that, and keep repeating the phrase ad hominem as if you know what you're saying there as well (if anyone of us is guilty of that it would be you, futilely at that). It's been six months of dealing with clearly clueless and hapless Mets posters trolling this thread because because, move onto something you might know a thing about. 

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Not really, thankfully. I get it all now tho...... He's a good guy tho :ph34r:

I am, hence the impatience with posters who don't know what they're talking about and get angry over it. You've literally said nothing but wrong opinions, completely without support despite your claim of alllll this evidence, and are upset about it like some dumb teenager for no reason but to be mad. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I am, hence the impatience with posters who don't know what they're talking about and get angry over it. You've literally said nothing but wrong opinions, completely without support despite your claim of alllll this evidence, and are upset about it like some teenager for no reason but to be mad. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Announcer Voiceover- "So, SenorGato, the team that you root for has just won its first World Series in 108 years. What are you going to do now?"

SenorGato-"I am going to prove my superiority over others who have opinions on the internet, and tell them that their opinions are wrong."

The world-Groan

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Announcer Voiceover- "So, SenorGato, the team that you root for has just won its first World Series in 108 years. What are you going to do now?"

SenorGato-"I am going to prove my superiority over others who have opinions on the internet, and tell them that their opinions are wrong."

The world-Groan

Wannabe pussy cat

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

The world-Groan

This might be breaking news to you Scotty D, I don't doubt it actually given your year in the baseball forum, but opinions are not sacred and can be wrong. This is particularly true when some nut claims things that clearly aren't true, says the numbers back him when they don't, and is so aware of it that he goes full troll (the MO of this little group all season) and throws an adult internet forum temper tantrum. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

This might be breaking news to you Scotty D, I don't doubt it actually given your year in the baseball forum, but opinions are not sacred and can be wrong. This is particularly true when some nut claims things that clearly aren't true, says the numbers back him when they don't, and is so aware of it that he goes full troll (the MO of this little group all season) and throws an adult internet forum temper tantrum. 

The irrational gift that keeps on giving. You are our message board treasure.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The irrational gift that keeps on giving. You are our message board treasure.

I really don't think you guys know what your insults actually mean. It's hilarious to see real life adult men who legitimately think they're so much smarter use words like irrational and phrases like ad homenim so improperly on such a consistent basis. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You even suck at insults. Wtf is a wannabe pussy cat? Why are you so happy to be insufferably dumb? Because it's fashionable for Mets fans to be so in this thread this year and you're popular for 5 minutes? 

Wah wah.....

Image result for troll