2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

33 minutes ago, NJ said:

There's a good chance that Heyward may have had as much to do with the Cubs winning game 7 as anybody else in the equation.

He pulled everyone together for the team meeting during the rain delay (something Madden doesn't believe in and therefore doesn't do) which many of the Cub players see as the key factor in the comeback and win.

Intangible? perhaps, but not Chad Pennington intangible. It meant something.

He was virtually useless at the plate in the WS  and had a well below career avg season, but he was career +.360 OBP when he came here and there's no facts to state he cant get back to that.

His DWAR was tops for right fielders and #3 overall for all OF's.

I'm looking forward to see what adjustments he makes this winter for next year before I get anxious about throwing him out with the bath water.    

I heard about that, huge moment for him.

IF Zobrist never gets another hit, worth every penny.   Congrats to you Cubs fans.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NJ said:

There's a good chance that Heyward may have had as much to do with the Cubs winning game 7 as anybody else in the equation.

He pulled everyone together for the team meeting during the rain delay (something Madden doesn't believe in and therefore doesn't do) which many of the Cub players see as the key factor in the comeback and win.

Intangible? perhaps, but not Chad Pennington intangible. It meant something.

He was virtually useless at the plate in the WS  and had a well below career avg season, but he was career +.360 OBP when he came here and there's no facts to state he cant get back to that.

His DWAR was tops for right fielders and #3 overall for all OF's.

I'm looking forward to see what adjustments he makes this winter for next year before I get anxious about throwing him out with the bath water.    

He played a role on a championship. That's a good thing. He's a fine RF and can play CF. Offensively he's trended down over the years. But in that lineup that's okay, you would think he could have done better tho within thatlineup.

We'll see if he can get back to his early career, but on that team it's okay if he doesn't. If you win a championship who cares what the contract is? And so what if you don't have a fantasy league hof lineup at every position?

The contract may be prohibitive in making moves, idk tho how Theo approaches that. But there's other options for them. The pitching staff needs to hold up.

From BA's Hotsheet:

1. Eloy Jimenez, of, Cubs

3ds_cubs79
Team: Mesa
Why He’s Here: .455/.500/.909 (5-for-11), 2 R, 2 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 BB, 1 SO

The Scoop: Sure, the Cubs’ major league roster is young, gifted and controllable, but their farm system has a few gems left. Jimenez, who also starred in this year’s Futures Game, put together a fine week in the AFL following an excellent year in which he was named the MVP of the Midwest League. The 19-year-old clubbed his third home run of the fall to pull into a logjam for second place behind Twins catcher Mitch Garver. 

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/arizona-fall-league-hot-sheet-nov-4/#w0yfAvfQUfvGtq9c.99

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

He played a role on a championship. That's a good thing. He's a fine RF and can play CF. Offensively he's trended down over the years.

Trending down requires a trend. When his power numbers fell, coincidentally after taking a fastball to the face, his OBP, whiff, and overall contact rates started going up. 2015 was one of his best all around seasons. 

One major positive this season is that his batted ball profile, at least as far as FB/GB/IFFB/LD, went back to his power days. One major negative is that he wasn't hitting hitting the ball hard enough - lots of contact on pitches outside the zone - for this to matter.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Trending down requires a trend. When his power numbers fell, coincidentally after taking a fastball to the face, his OBP, whiff, and overall contact rates started going up. 2015 was one of his best all around seasons. 

One major positive this season is that his batted ball profile, at least as far as FB/GB/IFFB/LD, went back to his power days. One major negative is that he wasn't hitting hitting the ball hard enough - lots of contact on pitches outside the zone - for this to matter.

That's great. Maybe the face guard on his helmet threw his head off balance?

Tho there was no production he did register some otherwise meaningless numbers, possibly because his bat level on his swing was askew and he fouled some balls off?

I'll check some tweets, and metrics, for a bat level analysis that incorporates a head tilt graphic. I think Juan Lagares had similar metrics with a mean statistical projection, if I remember correctly. I might've dreamed that tho.....

31 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That's great. Maybe the face guard on his helmet threw his head off balance?

Tho there was no production he did register some otherwise meaningless numbers, possibly because his bat level on his swing was askew and he fouled some balls off?

I'll check some tweets, and metrics, for a bat level analysis that incorporates a head tilt graphic. I think Juan Lagares had similar metrics with a mean statistical projection, if I remember correctly. I might've dreamed that tho.....

You somehow keep topping yourself on dumb. There's not even a coherent thought in this post. For a guy who was all about non-fantasy numbers when it seemed like it might be convenient, it's flooring how easy it was to pass this kid.

24 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We all know how much you love dongs. 

Everyone knows the more dongs the merrier. 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You somehow keep topping yourself on dumb. There's not even a coherent thought in this post. For a guy who was all about non-fantasy numbers when it seemed like it might be convenient, it's flooring how easy it was to pass this kid.

Everyone knows the more dongs the merrier. 

Lol. Hominy grits

coño

Cubs World Series celebration ranks as 7th largest gathering in human history

FOX 32 NEWS - Officials estimate that 5 million people showed up to the Chicago Cubs parade and rally Friday, making it the 7th largest gathering in human history.

The Cubs celebration crowd even beat out the 3.5 million people who went to Rod Stewart's 1994 concert in Rio.

The following are the largest human gatherings in history:

Top fox32chicago.com Searches

14958193_10155485935278289_620339328_o_1

1. Kumbh Mela pilgrimage, India, 2013 - 30 million

2. Arbaeen festival, Iraq, 2014 - 17 million

3. Funeral of CN Annadurai, India, 1969 - 15 million

4. Funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran, 1989 - 10 million

5. Papal gathering in the Philippines, 2015 - 6 million

6. World Youth Day, 1995 - 5 million

• Upvote 1

The post-WS victory silence in this thread is golden. You might think it's 2012-2015 again in this thread it's so quiet. Wild guess is that this silence would not exist had they lost.

Eloy putting up an .890 OPS in the AFL with a sub-20% K rate is great. Throwing in a walk rate over 10% is a sweet cherry on top, hope he carries this over into next year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/795388112599941120

Somewhat surprising....I thought they might pick up the option and shop him around this offseason. Either way, the stage is further set for some kind of significant trade for pitching this offseason.

The Rangers declined the option on Derek Holland. I wouldn't mind picking him up for some depth. I also like Jordan Walden as a possible NRI or something extemely low commit and Greg Holland in general for the bullpen.

Lester and Hendricks are two of three three finalists for the CY a year after a Cub won it. Remember the nonsense from the local trolls about how the Cubs didn't have elite pitching?

Bryant a finalist for the MVP because duh. He should probably win it. Maddon a finalist for MOY. 

11 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Lester and Hendricks are two of three three finalists for the CY a year after a Cub won it. Remember the nonsense from the local trolls about how the Cubs didn't have elite pitching?

Not sure why anyone would say that.  When the previous year's Cy Young winner is your # 3 starter, you know you have elite pitching. 

It's rare to find someone so bitter after a WS win.  Probably because the Cubs fans who were there for decades, through some really rough years, can simply bask in the win, whereas you seem to be on a campaign to prove how smart you are and act like you belong with those true fans.  Sad.

This is the right way to do it:

On 11/6/2016 at 8:14 PM, vanDoug said:

As a 40+ year Cubs and Jets fan, just stopping in to congrat the other Jets fans that are happy with the WS win. Still numb about it but quite happy. Cheers!!!

But of course we all know you'll respond to this with a heavy dose of sarcasm, accuse me of being a troll, and continue doing what you do. 

Lol Troll effectiveness at a hard zero. The decades narrative is dead buddy, sorry to break it to you. You'll have to gain RJF's favor some other way. I have no idea why you ninnies felt you can troll for 6 months and expect silence and graciousness after the fact. Can't have AND eat the cake! In short:

raw

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure why anyone would say that.  When the previous year's Cy Young winner is your # 3 starter, you know you have elite pitching. 

It's rare to find someone so bitter after a WS win.  Probably because the Cubs fans who were there for decades, through some really rough years, can simply bask in the win, whereas you seem to be on a campaign to prove how smart you are and act like you belong with those true fans.  Sad.

This is the right way to do it:

But of course we all know you'll respond to this with a heavy dose of sarcasm, accuse me of being a troll, and continue doing what you do. 

Yeah 80, you don't remember all the masses that were here criticizing the Cubs pitching? Legions of tools.

Never argue with a schizophrenic who is delusional.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah 80, you don't remember all the masses that were here criticizing the Cubs pitching? Legions of tools.

Never argue with a schizophrenic who is delusional.

What an odd post from the guy who did these things more than anyone lol. Oh Scotty....you're a gem. I wouldn't delude myself into thinking a couple casual fans with minimal knowledge, maybe a couple recently seen HS games, count as legion THO.

https://mobile.twitter.com/darenw/status/795709420768493568?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Interesting

----

Rizzo and Heyward take NL Gold Gloves

----

Cubs are planning to look outside the box for the next Davis or Miller, but I still expect them to land one of Jansen/Chapman. I still hage fingers crossed on Chapman as a SP. He has the size, health, repertoire, aptitude, etc for the role, I still think that even if it is highly unlikely.

----

D'Backs named the Cubs' director of pro scouting, Jared Porter, their Asst. GM and Senior VP.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20161107&content_id=205773734&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

MiLB's org All Stars:

First Base: Yasiel Balaguert (Myrtle Beach)
Second Base: Ian Happ (Tennessee)
Third Base: Jeimer Candelario (Iowa)
Shortstop: Gleyber Torres* (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Donnie Dewees (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Eloy Jimenez (South Bend)
Outfield: John Andreoli (Iowa)
Designated Hitter: Dan Vogelbach* (Iowa)
LH Starting Pitcher: Ryan Kellogg (SB)
RH Starting Pitcher: Preston Morrison (SB)
Reliever: Ryan McNeil (Myrtle Beach)

I still expect Kellogg to take a step forward in 2017, not exactly stiff competition as far as in-system pitching talent. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

What an odd post from the guy who did these things more than anyone lol. Oh Scotty....you're a gem. I wouldn't delude myself into thinking a couple casual fans with minimal knowledge, maybe a couple recently seen HS games, count as legion THO.

Show me exactly where I denigrated the Cubs pitching?

I will wait.