2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-hitter-contact-quality-report-nl-third-basemen/

As previously indicated, Javier Baez is our Cubs’ 3B qualifier; we’ll see Kris Bryant in LF. Baez’ all-around tools remain exceptional. He can hit it out of sight…when he hits it. He has traded some authority for more contact frequency, and in the short term, the results have been mixed. He whiffs less, but still never walks, and his Adjusted Contact Scores by BIP type (110 Fly Ball, 106 Liner, 104 Grounder) haven’t been good enough to dig him out of his K/BB hole. He was crazy lucky on the ground (.322 AVG-.356 SLG, 185 Unadjusted Contact Score), making his numbers look better than they should have. Don’t write him off; extreme glove guys have shown an aptitude for eventually figuring out the bat in the past. Think Ozzie Smith, Yadier Molina, or Omar Vizquel.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-hitter-contact-quality-report-nl-third-basemen/

As previously indicated, Javier Baez is our Cubs’ 3B qualifier; we’ll see Kris Bryant in LF. Baez’ all-around tools remain exceptional. He can hit it out of sight…when he hits it. He has traded some authority for more contact frequency, and in the short term, the results have been mixed. He whiffs less, but still never walks, and his Adjusted Contact Scores by BIP type (110 Fly Ball, 106 Liner, 104 Grounder) haven’t been good enough to dig him out of his K/BB hole. He was crazy lucky on the ground (.322 AVG-.356 SLG, 185 Unadjusted Contact Score), making his numbers look better than they should have. Don’t write him off; extreme glove guys have shown an aptitude for eventually figuring out the bat in the past. Think Ozzie Smith, Yadier Molina, or Omar Vizquel.

Keep reading and believing the "hi-end metrics" gurus. They're always right just like PFF is.

Baez will play 2nd base for the Cubs next year and possibly as an AS. 

1 hour ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Gonna be fun watching Senor Cat cry as his Cubbies head back to being the bitch of the Cardinals for the next 30 seasons

Make sure to be here so you can change to a different song when that doesn't happen.

• 3 weeks later...
On January 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM, NJ said:

First full workout @ Sloan Park Saturday 2/18 .. I'll be there on Tuesday the 21st - 5 weeks. Can't wait.

That is so cool. For the first time, I will get to be at Port St Lucie as the Mets open training camp. Conveniently, my son is playing a tournament at Vero Beach (Dodger camp) at that time.

Some nice things said about a guy who might be my favorite prospect in the system next year, Isaac Paredes, this offseason. Manuel from BA thinks he can hit in full season ball at 18 next year with a feel for the barreling the ball. Bill Mitchell mentioned that scouts think he can hit. FanGraphs gave him an above average starter ceiling and he drew some interesting KATOH+ projections nice and early. 

All I'm asking is that this guy keeps hitting and is somewhere between Kipnis and Pedroia eventually. Nothing too crazy...

Some nice things said about a guy who might be my favorite prospect in the system next year, Isaac Paredes, this offseason. Manuel from BA thinks he can hit in full season ball at 18 next year with a feel for the barreling the ball. Bill Mitchell mentioned that scouts think he can hit. FanGraphs gave him an above average starter ceiling and he drew some interesting KATOH+ projections nice and early. 

All I'm asking is that this guy keeps hitting and is somewhere between Kipnis and Pedroia eventually. Nothing too crazy...

----

This is very serious, the 2022 Cubs:

C: Contreras

1B: Rizzo

2B: Paredes

SS: Lindor

3B: Bryant

LF: Stanton

CF: Trout

RF: Sierra/Gutierrez

Otani

Kershaw

Who Cares

Who Cares

Who Cares

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2017 at 9:26 AM, Scott Dierking said:

That is so cool. For the first time, I will get to be at Port St Lucie as the Mets open training camp. Conveniently, my son is playing a tournament at Vero Beach (Dodger camp) at that time.

How did your son do Dierk?

Did you get to see many practices?

I always try to get down at least 4-5 days before the games start. 

It's neat to follow the non-roster guys and catch a lot of drills.

Below - just chatting with a couple of my homies - 

Image may contain: one or more people

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NJ said:

How did your son do Dierk?

Did you get to see many practices?

I always try to get down at least 4-5 days before the games start. 

It's neat to follow the non-roster guys and catch a lot of drills.

Below - just chatting with a couple of my homies - 

Image may contain: one or more people

That picture is a keeper.

Our boys went 3-1 down there, got to play one game at the Holman stadium, which is the main strum in Dodgertown. Cool experience.

Our hotel was in Port St Lucie and a couple of miles away from Traditions Field We went over for 2 college games and saw 2 Met practices. First time I was ever at a pre-season workout and so close to the players. Something I may do every year now. It is that much fun. Great for my son to see that the Big leaguers do the same routine workouts as his travel team. Nothing like the basics.

Thanks for asking. Big year for my son to get recruited (hopefully).

20 hours ago, vanDoug said:

I ask that Cubs fans remember who we are and what it took to win it last year. A lot of talent, luck and variables that worked our way. Expecting that again is a nice thought, but let's not turn into cards fans. Thanks.

Good to see you my friend.

We would have to gather a lot of conceit and delusion to be in the boat with Cardinal fans.

As I'm sure I've shared, I have a gaggle of them in many aspects of my life and it's sooo nice to be in the position of not saying a word - just giving them the "blow me" stare when they start singing Redbird praises. (which are not uttered a lot - at least in front of me - these days)

We have been beyond lucky with starting pitcher health. We have a healthy reserve of excellent trade bait to pick up additional contributors if we need to.

Relief pitching is very concerning to me. Should Davis go down again, we don't have reliable closing capability outside of Edwards who's still real young.

Defense will be superb - way above average.

The young bats will continue to be better bats this season - don't foresee any regressions in the guys we have but I could be wrong.

Heyward is still a big ? at the plate but will be a gold glove again defensively.

All things considered we should be in great shape.

Lets see what the baseball gods have in store for us. 

4 hours ago, vanDoug said:

Great to see you're still here, John.

The pen always concerns me. Schwarbs leading off? - not convinced but hoping I am wrong. Heyward's swing -Yikes! Those read like negatives but we have many positives. Should be fun.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe, on many days against righty pitching, lead Schwarbie off.

Then let him get 3 AB's and depending on the game situation sit him, move Zobrist to left (or right) and bring in Javey at second to enhance the D. 

I'm fine with having an embarrassment of riches and look forward to having it as long as we can.

19 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Really what happened with the Cubs in 2016.

Theo Epstein happened in 2012.

It took 4 seasons but we have the scouting and player development to boast the roster and farm system that won us a championship in 2016 and promises to keep us highly competitive for the near future.

Fine, I'm down to keep this thread going.

BOLD 2017 predictions:

- Cubs go from arguably the best offense in baseball to outright the best offense in baseball. 

- Rizzo beats Bryant to .300+/.400+ but Bryant hits more HRs.

- Heyward bounces back offensively and takes over starting CF in the second half.

- Cubs trade for a starting OF at the deadline as their big move. They also pick up a SP, but a post-hype guy still struggling like Trevor Bauer rather than a Chris Archer. 

- Lackey misses 10+ starts

- Lester/Arrieta/Hendricks combine for 75-80 starts rather than 93.

- Arrieta is not extended. 

- Cubs lose the NLCS to the Nats. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

BOLD 2017 predictions:

- Cubs trade for a starting OF at the deadline as their big move. They also pick up a SP, but a post-hype guy still struggling like Trevor Bauer rather than a Chris Archer. 

I'm not a total dis-believer in any of your prognostications Catman, cept the bolded one.

That one seems to be very heavily THC influenced. Unless you're thinking they're going to trade for a proven tablesetter to take Fowler's place. 

5 hours ago, NJ said:

I'm not a total dis-believer in any of your prognostications Catman, cept the bolded one.

That one seems to be very heavily THC influenced. Unless you're thinking they're going to trade for a proven tablesetter to take Fowler's place. 

Fowler was barely a proven tablesetter until he was. I think they go after a good hitter, if he keeps sets tables or washes dishes on the side then more power to him. He might be a CF, say Cain from the Royals, but for now I'll leave open to just OF. 

Basically what I'm gettIng at is that the whole Almora/Jay situation will have a pretty short leash. Slappy won't be able to hang without a high and unsustainable BABIP.

13 hours ago, SenorGato said:

BOLD 2017 predictions:

- Heyward bounces back offensively and takes over starting CF in the second half.

sorry - missed another one. 

Heyward is to physically big to cover all the CF turf.

Too much wear and tear on that defensive end size body.

Almora will hit, stay up, and be a gold glove some day.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:39 AM, NJ said:

sorry - missed another one. 

Heyward is to physically big to cover all the CF turf.

Too much wear and tear on that defensive end size body.

Yeah, you're know DEs are really badass athletes right? Heyward's been a top 3 or 5 defensive player in baseball this decade, and through 2015 he was the single most valuable defensive player of the decade. Wrigley is one of the smallest OFs in the league. Not even a little worried

Slappy Almora will settle into a Dyson-esque role once his BABIP comes down, probably with another team buying high for a pitcher for the Cubs want. 

13 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, you're know DEs are really badass athletes right? Heyward's been a top 3 or 5 defensive player in baseball this decade, and through 2015 he was the single most valuable defensive player of the decade. Wrigley is one of the smallest OFs in the league. Not even a little worried

Slappy Almora will settle into a Dyson-esque role once his BABIP comes down, probably with another team buying high for a pitcher for the Cubs want. 

Yes - DE's are baddass athletes. There are good reasons why they're DE's and not WR's.

Heyward is an exceptional defensive ball player and I'm still elated to have him in right field even if he stays > a .320 obp  - which I don't think he will.

The smaller surface area in the Wrigley outfield gets statistically swallowed up quickly by the large parks in the NL the Cubs play the other half of their games in.

I know it's fun and witty to be a contrarian, but there's a host of good reasons why Heyward's managers to date have only plunked him in CF for 28 of his 849 complete games in his 7 years in the bigs. (is he getting older or younger as well? .. I'll bet older)

On 3/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, NJ said:

Yes - DE's are baddass athletes. There are good reasons why they're DE's and not WR's.

Heyward is an exceptional defensive ball player and I'm still elated to have him in right field even if he stays > a .320 obp  - which I don't think he will.

The smaller surface area in the Wrigley outfield gets statistically swallowed up quickly by the large parks in the NL the Cubs play the other half of their games in.

I know it's fun and witty to be a contrarian, but there's a host of good reasons why Heyward's managers to date have only plunked him in CF for 28 of his 849 complete games in his 7 years in the bigs. (is he getting older or younger as well? .. I'll bet older)

You know that Heyward played and started more games in CF with the Cubs than his previous teams? That he completed the second most games of his career? The Cubs didn't play him there because DE size makes him a limited athlete for reasons, that you're correctly comparing his athleticism to a modern NFL pass rusher is a compliment and not a knock. They're paid more than everyone but QBs, it's not because they coast by on size. From there, he's got a half decade plus as an elite, rangy defensive OF with the arm for any OF spot and even great baserunning metrics behind that to further show we're not talking some lug athlete. 

It's interesting that you picked completed starts as the measure for what definitively proves he cannot play CF. Bryant only 75 CGs at 3B last year, does that make him not the team's 3B? A 3B in general? The Cubs move guys around, it's what they do. Heyward is their best all around OF, has the skills to play CF, has done it for the Cubs more than anywhere else, and the competition for that job is weaksauce. 

How I think CF and the OF goes for the Cubs this year: 

- Almora rides his ST into a hot start. Jay plays against tough and velocity RHs.

- Almora peters out by the AS break and his BABIP inflated line starts deflating. 

- Heyward takes over primary CF job. Almora slides into Jarrod Dyson late inning D and baserunning role. Cubs trade for another OF - I'm thinking Carlos Gonzalez or maaaaybe Lorenzo Cain. The big kahuna would be Stanton.