2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

On 3/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, NJ said:

One guy really does hurt though .... fk'ing Adam Warren ... couldn't keep the ball in the park at Wrigley and goes back to the Yanks and continues with his Walter Johnson imitation. Boy that stings - really, really, could have used him in a pen that I still believe is very suspect. Oh well

I love Warren on the Yanks.

Good 1st pitch of the season for you guys.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I love Warren on the Yanks.

Good 1st pitch of the season for you guys.

I was excited when he came here after what you guys told me about him. Never really got his bearings then but we could sure use him now. Cashman knew exactly what he had in him and how desperately we needed Chapman.

Opposite Day for the Cubs opener - Lester sh*ts the bed early and badly. The pen looks like they'll all be standing at the podium in Cooperstown.

I'll take every win they get and love it.

So far the bullpen I was so dreading to be put into action has a .061 ERA - 16.1 innings pitched with one run allowed

Brandon Morrow faces one batter as a Cub and gives up the hit to allow the pens only run to score.

meanwhile ...  a third of the Cubs that come to the plate whiff,  and they're 2 - 22 with RISP. 

Crazy start

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, NJ said:

First pitch of the MLB season - Ian Happ goes Yard

Yeah baby! 

What centerfielder was it you wanted to trade for again Catman?

After I totally put The Maloik on Happ he finally got another RBI  - 6 games and 17 strikeouts later.

Chili has to stress some things other than launch angle on Ian and a couple of his teammates as the inability to drive in runs with RISP will keep this young team from a deep run again.

My prediction of a marginal pen is eating sh!t too ... couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, SenorGato said:

Aaaand he's employed again, ML deal with the Royals. Grimm's got a hot ass gymnast wife, just want to toss that in.

Speaking off the Royals...Soler might be getting his act together. Hope so, I like the Royals forever for sh*tting on that loser second team in NY back during the 2015 WS. 

I feel bad for Grimm and worse for the Royals who's pen was horrible enough without help from him.

He's now sporting an 18.9 ERA and could only get 1 out tonight after letting in 6 earned including Granderson's 9th career Slam.

One of the KC posters said it best .... Grimm indeed. Wish I would have thought of that one when he was our problem.

But ... we have enough of our own issues and concerns in this young frostbitten campaign.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, chirorob said:

I was curious what you guys thought of the deal.

He's pretty good when healthy, he's thrown 200 innings exactly once.  At this point he is almost exactly a 6 inning pitcher.   He does have good stuff, gets strikeouts, but he's 30 now, and 6 years is a long deal.

I'm kind of on the fence on it.   #1, I'm neutral on the Cubs, don't really like or dislike, so I'm not stirring the pot.  #2, I live in Fort Worth, I've seen Darvish pitch plenty of times, he just seems like a guy who should be better than he really is.  Short term, it should help, longer term..   in 3 years this might be a deal you really wish would just go away.

It's not nearly as bad as Ellsbury on the Yanks, but I don't like it, and I don't know who you were really bidding against that you had to give that many years.

Dude is never healthy.   I hope he turns it around for you guys, but that contract may be an albatross.

MLB needs to learn.  Do not give "decent to good" pitchers a 6 year deal when they are 30 or over.   A Cy Young guy, whatever, you do what it takes.   A solid #2 to #3.  No

On 5/8/2018 at 10:34 AM, chirorob said:

Dude is never healthy.   I hope he turns it around for you guys, but that contract may be an albatross.

MLB needs to learn.  Do not give "decent to good" pitchers a 6 year deal when they are 30 or over.   A Cy Young guy, whatever, you do what it takes.   A solid #2 to #3.  No

Didn't like the 6 years when we did it and like it much less after we've had a chance to see how mentally weak he is.

Heard Theo interviewed on why they chose Yu over Arrieta and he said "you take the guy who has the best stuff" if age, money, and all else is equal.

Turns out they offered Jake 6@$20m and Yu signed for 6@$21m.

The guy has 6+ often unhittable pitches when he can throw them - and the mental strength of a 6-year-old whose parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce.

I'd rather attempt to help a guy with how to bolster his mental strength than attempt to teach a guy how to throw hi-90's with Yu's repertoire of pitches for sure. But they need to do something and quickly.

If I was calling the shots - I'd find our currently unemployed old buddy John Lackey and make him a coach that is essentially Darvish's Siamese Twin with the explicit instructions to do whatever Lackey tells him to do - or else.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tyler Durden said:

Any regrets over Torres? Looks like a better player than Addison Russell. 

Cubs won a Championship because of that trade.  There will never be a regret over trading Torres.  Theo would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.  It worked out for both teams. 

The only party who got screwed is Sterling Castro.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, Tyler Durden said:

Any regrets over Torres? Looks like a better player than Addison Russell. 

Lots of them, dude. He has all the makings of an all-star and has hit the street running.

I still make that trade 100 times out of a hundred as we don't have a chance of winning the WS without Chapman

I think it's a little too early to say Addison Russell has peaked at the plate at the tender age of 24. Had a substandard year last year and now Chili Davis has all those young guys trying to use more of the field when they're at the dish instead of focusing on launch angle which I support wholeheartedly.

If Gleyber has 9+ RBI's in a WS before he's 23 we can certainly revisit the conversation.

Defensively - Torres is a special talent, but I'll still keep Russell

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Cubs won a Championship because of that trade.  There will never be a regret over trading Torres.  Theo would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.  It worked out for both teams. 

You get a ring and you never look back.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, NJ said:

Didn't like the 6 years when we did it and like it much less after we've had a chance to see how mentally weak he is.

Heard Theo interviewed on why they chose Yu over Arrieta and he said "you take the guy who has the best stuff" if age, money, and all else is equal.

Turns out they offered Jake 6@$20m and Yu signed for 6@$21m.

The guy has 6+ often unhittable pitches when he can throw them - and the mental strength of a 6-year-old whose parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce.

I'd rather attempt to help a guy with how to bolster his mental strength than attempt to teach a guy how to throw hi-90's with Yu's repertoire of pitches for sure. But they need to do something and quickly.

If I was calling the shots - I'd find our currently unemployed old buddy John Lackey and make him a coach that is essentially Darvish's Siamese Twin with the explicit instructions to do whatever Lackey tells him to do - or else.

That's the thing with him I noticed out here.

He can be dominant.   With his stuff, he should be.   But, he just isn't

6 hours ago, SMC said:

Agreed - and love Starlin Castro as an individual and at the plate - but he doesn't have the motor in the field or on the bases to be Russell or seemingly Torres.

Proved it again last night - Starlin is playing 2nd for the Fish - score tied 3-3 - Bryant on 3rd with go ahead run and 1 dead -  a sharp 2 hopper is hit to him - he shuffles a couple steps before he releases the ball, throws wide and late. Bryant scores and Cubs go on to win the game. Torres, Russell, Gregorious, and certainly Baez have that throw off in one fluid motion and Bryant is dead meat at the plate. 

Yanks won big on that move especially when you figure they have Chapman back.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, NJ said:

Agreed - and love Starlin Castro as an individual and at the plate - but he doesn't have the motor in the field or on the bases to be Russell or seemingly Torres.

Proved it again last night - Starlin is playing 2nd for the Fish - score tied 3-3 - Bryant on 3rd with go ahead run and 1 dead -  a sharp 2 hopper is hit to him - he shuffles a couple steps before he releases the ball, throws wide and late Bryant scores and Cubs go on to win the game. Torres, Russell, Gregorious, and certainly Baez have that throw off in one fluid motion and Bryant is dead meat at the plate. 

Yanks won big on that move especially when you figure they have Chapman back.

When you watch Castro day to day, he is not a good infielder.   Not always errors, but stuff like you just said.  He's a good hitter, but not so good to overcome his fielding. 

As for the trades, you get your first ring in going on 100 years, you trade whatever you have to.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NJ said:

Lots of them, dude. He has all the makings of an all-star and has hit the street running.

I still make that trade 100 times out of a hundred as we don't have a chance of winning the WS without Chapman

I think it's a little too early to say Addison Russell has peaked at the plate at the tender age of 24. Had a substandard year last year and now Chili Davis has all those young guys trying to use more of the field when they're at the dish instead of focusing on launch angle which I support wholeheartedly.

If Gleyber has 9+ RBI's in a WS before he's 23 we can certainly revisit the conversation.

Defensively - Torres is a special talent, but I'll still keep Russell

We're in agreement that Theo would make that trade every time for Chapman and it won the Cubs a ring.

The interesting thing is that, the true discussion is not about Russell vs. Torres.  The actual discussion is Russell vs. Schwarber.  Cashman initially asked for Schwarber, but Theo said no so Cashman started looking at the lower minor leagues (Torres was still far away) and settled on Torres as the centerpiece. 

If you asked Theo today, in hindsight, would he have rather included Schwarber in the Chapman trade rather than Torres, I think he'd say yes. 

• 1 month later...

@The Troll @vanDoug 

Yo Dudes - our famed and fabled thread author - SenorGato -  has literally been given the bums rush from the site and won't here to share his wisdom and insight. If his presence was a deterrent in any way to your weighing in - please feel free to drop in and discuss the current campaign as it might bring better results than 2017. 

NJ

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Cub Killer now a Cub.

Daniel Murphy's bat was just bought for the home stretch and whatever October baseball the Cubs can eek out. 

Defense will take a big hit but if you score more than 1 run you can give up a few with a lost a step or 2 2nd baseman.

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Yu Darvish..... not yet.

Darvish is next year if at all. 

New MRI discovered a pre-fracture so this whole sh*t-bit has stemmed from legit injury.

Fans here are torn between hoping he comes back strong and hoping he retires and kicks back the dough.

Pitching  - at least starting pitching - might be enough for a decent Cubs run, but the inability to score runs will ice their cake quickly in the next 45 days unless something gets figured out. 

They have scored one run or less in almost a quarter of their games. 

10 hours ago, NJ said:

Darvish is next year if at all. 

New MRI discovered a pre-fracture so this whole sh*t-bit has stemmed from legit injury.

Fans here are torn between hoping he comes back strong and hoping he retires and kicks back the dough.

Pitching  - at least starting pitching - might be enough for a decent Cubs run, but the inability to score runs will ice their cake quickly in the next 45 days unless something gets figured out. 

They have scored one run or less in almost a quarter of their games. 

But the MLB union screams collusion that owners weren't lining up to give him 100+ million.

That's a bad break for you guys.   Make the playoffs, anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NJ said:

Cub Killer now a Cub.

Daniel Murphy's bat was just bought for the home stretch and whatever October baseball the Cubs can eek out. 

Defense will take a big hit but if you score more than 1 run you can give up a few with a lost a step or 2 2nd baseman.

His at bats, even recently, are some of the best that you will find from a hitter. As noted, his mobility and defense are a deterrent, but to stick him in the 2 hole (my idea) would do wonders for the Cub offense.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hear you bro - I'll be in Scottsdale in 5 weeks to yell at Theo in person. If they don't pick up some solid relief pitching at a minimum - we will struggle mightily.

Show up and chat dude- without the kitty man here we actually have decent baseball discussions.

• Sympathy 1

I hear you bro - I'll be in Scottsdale in 5 weeks to yell at Theo in person. If they don't pick up some solid relief pitching at a minimum - we will struggle mightily.
Show up and chat dude- without the kitty man here we actually have decent baseball discussions.

It’s a little bittersweet to know he’s gone. Was really looking forward to continuing our discussion about how the Mariners didn’t regret that Cano contract at all.
  • Sympathy 1

• 4 weeks later...

@The Troll

On 1/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, The Troll said:

@NJ

It would be pretty sweet if we would stop pretending we're a small market team and ******* DO SOMETHING.

It's very frightening they've done nothing about the pen. 

Duensing and Kintzler defy description.

Edwards "getting it back" is terrifying as he barely ever "had it"

Montgomery back to the pen without a swing and miss pitch in his repertoire, Morrow coming back when? And in what kind of shape?

Stropie as the trusted closer? I am finally a fan after his courageous work last season when we had no where else to turn - but come on.

The host of AAA guys, some with promise but not ready to play in October.

Love 5 of the 6 starters - truly an embarrassment of riches. But in today's game they only throw half of the innings - WTF?     

On an aside - have you been checking out this kid? http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2018/10/end-of-season-prospect-review-dakota-mekkes/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Kimbrel - good start at shoring up the crap pen the Cubs have had since '16. 

Still need another lefty arm actually a couple as Montgomery is lousy as a fireman.

Not going to bitch tho - keep'em coming Theo.   

• 1 year later...

Ok - who's around ... Troll? Doug? <trembling> Gato?

That POS Ricketts has cut the budget to nothing and is crying poormouth after buying up 70% of Wrigleyville before running into Covid.

But there's still some decent ball being played on the Northside - at least until he sells off Bryant, Kimbrel, and whoever else he can get half a buck for.

Actually - the pen is pretty damn solid and if they keep Duffy and Horner in the lineup they can score some runs.

Haven't been to Clark and Addison yet but with loosened restrictions I hope to get a couple games soon.

Lucked out and went with some Sox fan buddies to see them play the Indians the night Rodon threw the no-no.

Just feeling great and blessed to have MLB back as part of life ... don't want to get any hopes up just yet for the possibility non-embarrasing Jet football - but who knows?