Man of Steel 2013

GATA

Dude, Jesus is God.

I know that, jack, but there is absolutely no religious or political discussions allowed on JN. A rule you just violated, BTW.

So, you've been reported to G.O.B.

I'm sure everyone remember Schumacher's Batman ... the black sheep of the Batman movie's ... I'm also positive that, it must have dismantled your illusions of a good Batman movie in the future. However, Batman Begins changed all that .... and here's hoping Man of Steel can do that same.

They didn't. Batman is a great character to bring to the big screen and the Burton ones were excellent examples of that.

The only Reeves Superman still tolerable to me is the 2nd one. The good thing is that this movie is using the same badass villain.

Alex Ross' Justice was also awesome.

Alan Moore created his own characters for Watchmen because DC wouldn't let him use real old characters from their library. Wouldn't it be cool if Moore was allowed to reimagine Watchmen using main DC characters like Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, etc?

Call it "Watchmen: Justice League" or something and have the same basic storyline, but with these main characters. Have it fit in with the Elseworlds line at DC.

That's pretty creative ... I also wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Alternate universe Comics come to life like the Batman black lantern.

By the way, why aren't there more superhero movies about the villains themselves? I mean, I suppose it doesn't necessarily even have to be a movie about some supervillain who successfully destroys the world, but what about someone who starts out bad and becomes good? Instead of the whole "realizes power --> some conflict about this newfound power or how it relates to someone close to the superhero --> resolves conflict to save day", you start off with someone who realizes their power, ****s sh*t up, and then matures and comes to the good side. It'd be like an epic bildungsroman, but as a superhero movie.

Or you could make a supervillain movie that's a social critique--maybe the dude starts off in the ghetto, discovers a power and proceeds to revolutionize the world. But then he grows power-hungry and the movie ends with America winning. Because yay America. (I purposely made this "social critique" Hollywood-friendly.)

Or for all I know all that's been done and I just haven't cared enough to look at it.

By the way, why aren't there more superhero movies about the villains themselves? I mean, I suppose it doesn't necessarily even have to be a movie about some supervillain who successfully destroys the world, but what about someone who starts out bad and becomes good? Instead of the whole "realizes power --> some conflict about this newfound power or how it relates to someone close to the superhero --> resolves conflict to save day", you start off with someone who realizes their power, ****s sh*t up, and then matures and comes to the good side. It'd be like an epic bildungsroman, but as a superhero movie.

Or you could make a supervillain movie that's a social critique--maybe the dude starts off in the ghetto, discovers a power and proceeds to revolutionize the world. But then he grows power-hungry and the movie ends with America winning. Because yay America. (I purposely made this "social critique" Hollywood-friendly.)

Or for all I know all that's been done and I just haven't cared enough to look at it.

Like they did in Spiderman 3 with the Hob Goblin?

Like Megamind ?

Or like The Dark Knight

Because the Dark Knight was literally over-shadowed by the Joker in that film

Like Megamind ?

Or like The Dark Knight

Because the Dark Knight was literally over-shadowed by the Joker in that film

Damn, I don't even know who megamind is. lol

I suppose no movie goes as deep into the development of a supervillain--you know all the origins and conflicts of superheroes, but not the inner thoughts and ideas of supervillains, which you seem to get (at least sometimes) in super-people movies.

Yeah, that's kind of my point, that's not really the modern take Superman. Like Batman in the 70's, the character has largely been rewritten for the better. Now, it's generally a huge struggle for him in the comics. Like SMC's pointed out, the God complex, Luthor constantly trying to prove that he's more a threat to humanity than its savior, and really it's more the fact that he's an alien trying to find his way in this world...etc. Would highly suggest reading books like Kingdom Come or Earth One if you're curious.

Kingdom Come is available on my iPad, and that's apparently very important to me in a comic book. So I'm taking your recommendation here despite your strong personal feelings about Kevin Costner.

Kingdom Come is available on my iPad, and that's apparently very important to me in a comic book. So I'm taking your recommendation here despite your strong personal feelings about Kevin Costner.

If by strong personal feelings you mean the fact that Kevin Costner is AWESOME.

Spawn has been there and done that, and he rocked the f-ck out of it. Movie sucked, but there's a reason why McFarlane is a god.

Aside from that, it's been done in a few contexts along what you're describing for comics translated to movies. Road to Perdition, History of Violence...etc.

It's probably too early for a Barack Obama movie

It's probably too early for a Barack Obama movie

I don't care about the politics behind this joke, this was hilarious.

I want another Spawn movie. That 1997 one is actually one of my favorite superhero movies. That cape flowing scene CAPTIVATED the young Gato because until then I didn't know that a cape could be badass onto itself (just one of the things badasses wore). Fun fact: A Spawn comic is the only comic book I've ever actually bought because the concept = mindblowing. It's literally just one comic. Kills the ice cream man or something...pretty sick sh*t.

Archived