Jets Trade for Otah

JetsFanNick12

This might be just the Jets playing it safe so they can save themselves the 7th rounder. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything, but the Jets certainly have motives to side with extreme caution considering the trade was conditional. And nobody's really going to question it considering our med staff's reputation and Otah's history.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most positive report I read was from here: http://thejetpress.c...activepup-list/

It isn’t supposed to be long term, he should be fine in a few days, but was worth noting.

Maybe a conditioning issue? Dr. James Andrews already said the knee was good to go.

If he's the one saying it then it's hard to ignore.

I'm not worried. He and Landry are for the season moreso than TC.

Seems like a double standard. Wayne Hunter was physically unable to preform all last year and we still marched him out there every week

oops sorry DMC-I thought your post was brilliant and meant to vote it up but stupidly pressed the wrong button

hmmmmmmm. That's two draft picks, one of the big name FA's we got and a trade all on PUP. I'm not panicking of course, but that;s not fantastic news to start camp.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially when you are talking about later round picks. It's a reason not to count on those guys, but I think the Jets core team is fairly strong. Having another mediocre player isn't going to help much just because he is reliable. Eric Smith sucks, but just getting another almost adequate safety doesn't help - I am talking to you Brodney Pool! Better we take some chances with guys that can really add something if healthy. Boom or bust isn't so bad, especially when we are gambling with second and third day draft picks and lower dollar FAs.

The most positive report I read was from here: http://thejetpress.c...activepup-list/

It isn’t supposed to be long term, he should be fine in a few days, but was worth noting.

Maybe a conditioning issue? Dr. James Andrews already said the knee was good to go.

The part that should worry us is that I think in Carolina they claimed his kees were "structurally sound" or something, but he still wouldn't play. Pretty sure that supposedly soured the coaches and players on him a bit according to some reports.

The part that should worry us is that I think in Carolina they claimed his kees were "structurally sound" or something, but he still wouldn't play. Pretty sure that supposedly soured the coaches and players on him a bit according to some reports.

I agree 100%.

He's in the final year of his rookie deal. Either he gets his sh!t together right now, or he's out of football. It all comes down to how important that is to him, IMHO.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially when you are talking about later round picks. It's a reason not to count on those guys, but I think the Jets core team is fairly strong. Having another mediocre player isn't going to help much just because he is reliable. Eric Smith sucks, but just getting another almost adequate safety doesn't help - I am talking to you Brodney Pool! Better we take some chances with guys that can really add something if healthy. Boom or bust isn't so bad, especially when we are gambling with second and third day draft picks and lower dollar FAs.

I hear ya. I was all about letting pool go. I'm also of the same thought process that if we are afraid to get rid of "good enough" we will never make room for someone to rise to being dominant or elite. It's the Kyle Clifton syndrome. I loved him and he was the best Jets tackler for 10 years or so, but no one outside of Jetsville ever heard of him.

My whole fear is that it's never good news to have players, especially one's you're hoping will upgrade the position, starting camp on PUP. Silver lining is that at least it's now and not Aug 15th.

this guy hasn't been healthy for 2 years. what's gonna change in a week?

Pretty much. It's not a conditioning test, it's a physical. RJF mentioned the possibility of some shenanigans, but that notwithstanding, if his knee's not healthy now there's no reason to think it'll get healthy in time for the trade to stand up.

Pretty much. It's not a conditioning test, it's a physical. RJF mentioned the possibility of some shenanigans, but that notwithstanding, if his knee's not healthy now there's no reason to think it'll get healthy in time for the trade to stand up.

I'd imagine they'll pencil-whip a passed physical next week and hope they can get something out of him at some point down the road. If there's a 10% chance Otah becomes healthy and motivated, that's probably better than counting on Vlad Ducasse to be your Plan B at right tackle.

Rex was asked about Otah today:

On Jeff Otah being placed on the PUP list…

With Jeff, he has not met the terms of the trade agreement right now so we are not going to comment specifically on Jeff. I don’t feel comfortable doing that right now.

I'd imagine they'll pencil-whip a passed physical next week and hope they can get something out of him at some point down the road. If there's a 10% chance Otah becomes healthy and motivated, that's probably better than counting on Vlad Ducasse to be your Plan B at right tackle.

No I think it is just the opposite. If he can't pass the physical they will wash their hands of this. No reason to give up a draft pick if they can't get him on the field for camp.

this guy hasn't been healthy for 2 years. what's gonna change in a week?

But Bit, I'd like to think the Jets made this move after doing some homework.

I'm not convinced Otah is on the PUP due to failed physical yet, I think it could be conditioning related and want to get an extended look at him during the 7 day period, he's up at Cortland and moved in with the rest of the team, to me, this is a move the Jets have been working on for a little while, and believe he can be a reclamation project.

If healthy, and the Jets can get this player back on track, it could be a huge move.

But Bit, I'd like to think the Jets made this move after doing some homework.

I'm not convinced Otah is on the PUP due to failed physical yet, I think it could be conditioning related

it was reported 7/25 by ESPN New York that he failed his physical.

Isn't the conditioning drills part of the physical?

that's a good question but usually when a player fails the conditioning drills they say that. I think the Physical is purely a doctor's exam room thing. But i could be wrong.

that's a good question but usually when a player fails the conditioning drills they say that. I think the Physical is purely a doctor's exam room thing. But i could be wrong.

In this case, the Jets are being very quiet. Since we have reports of Dr. James Andrews claiming his knee is fine, I am hopeful that this is a conditioning issue. They have been very careful to not say anything since the trade isn't official yet, but if he flunked the knee part of the physical I bet we would have sent him back already. They are probably trying to prevent a media storm by pretending that he isn't just fat.

Archived