Matt Williamson says Jets 8-8 at best

stoicsentry

it boils down to people seeing the personnel we have on offense- the QB and the lack of guys that can make explosive plays.

Which is why I don't think it's that outrageous for some to think the Jets could have a disappointing season, but there's a difference between that and saying the best the team could possibly do is exactly the same as last year. It makes it even more comical when in the same breath all of the analysts keep talking about what an easier schedule the Jets have this year with facing the AFC South and NFC West.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones wasnt getting touched until 5 yards after the LOS

You're not helping your point. The efficacy of our running game is on the OL, not the RB. Jones was every bit an average RB, yet he put up big numbers. You're saying G&P can't work without a good RB. That's simply not true.

Horrendous = 13th in the league in scoring

Got it.

We'll see what happens with the ol' ground & pound this year. I think the Jets will go back to more of the committee approach at RB than they had last year. If Tebow gets 5 carries a game, he'll have more carries than LT had last year. I expect McKnight to have more than that, and that one of Powell or Ganaway will chime in with 30 or so carries, too. I also expect a lot more shots downfield with the new coordinator and added speed at WR keeping defenses honest.

This sounds like the logic from 2003 when 3 scrubs were supposed to make up for Coles production when we let him go to Washington.

Is Curtis Conway available?

Which is why I don't think it's that outrageous for some to think the Jets could have a disappointing season, but there's a difference between that and saying the best the team could possibly do is exactly the same as last year. It makes it even more comical when in the same breath all of the analysts keep talking about what an easier schedule the Jets have this year with facing the AFC South and NFC West.

Of course. We have an easy schedule...if the Jets cut down the turnovers and one of the backs we have steps up and creates some explosion plays...and Hill can keep defenses honest...the Jets could surprise on offense. Its more of a question mark than anything.

This sounds like the logic from 2003 when 3 scrubs were supposed to make up for Coles production when we let him go to Washington.

We used a mid-2nd round pick on a 6-3 WR with 4.3 speed. That's hardly Curtis Conway. He may not work out, but you can't argue we aren't trying.

EDIT: Just noticed you were trying to use this analogy on RB's. Not a valid comparison but OK.

it boils down to people seeing the personnel we have on offense- the QB and the lack of guys that can make explosive plays.

Yeah, a WR who averaged over 29 yards a catch in college doesn't offer much explosion. Neither does last year's top KOR getting more touches on offense. Or Tim Tebow, he offers no big play potential, either.

Or, winning a Super Bowl in recent years requires a great QB and a great pass rush, neither of which the Jets have.

Let's wait and see how Coples and Year 2 Wilkerson work out on the same DL before we throw pass rush out the window.

QB? No argument there. But we're not even close to the only team with that issue.

We used a mid-2nd round pick on a 6-3 WR with 4.3 speed. That's hardly Curtis Conway. He may not work out, but you can't argue we aren't trying.

EDIT: Just noticed you were trying to use this analogy on RB's. Not a valid comparison but OK.

I know. It's just when you're predicting production from unknowns...you never know. McKngiht could end being a 3ypc guy like he's been and be out of the league next year.

Powell is a complete unknown.

I know. It's just when you're predicting production from unknowns...you never know. McKngiht could end being a 3ypc guy like he's been and be out of the league next year.

Powell is a complete unknown.

This is true. But I prefer our strategy of using mid-round picks on RB's. Investing high draft picks and the subsequent heavy extension $$$ just doesn't pay off in the NFL.

Hopefully the O-line improves by default with Sparano's simpler scheme.

Yeah, a WR who averaged over 29 yards a catch in college doesn't offer much explosion. Neither does last year's top KOR getting more touches on offense. Or Tim Tebow, he offers no big play potential, either.

We drafted Hill on his combine numbers, period. Every one of his catches is available on youtube...he's running wide open down the field on 80% of them. He's a complete unknown right now. The numbers dont always translate to on the field....as a Jet fan you know we've been bruned on that before(Robertson...)

McKnight got benched on KOR duties last year.

Tebow is a big play guy? Really? He's a short yardage back.

IMO, I don't think a lot of media/analysts ever bought into Rex as a big-time coach, thinking that once his defensive scheme is figured out the whole program would collapse. Another part of it is that so many of them were put off by Rex's guarantees and general bloviating that they can't wait to write the "Rex was a buffoon who mocked the establishment and got rolled" story. Thirdly, the Jets roster is largely filled with guys that are difficult to root for. Even Tebow is a lightning rod for fan hatred, and he might be the most perfect human ever.

Or maybe it's just the simple fact that this is an offensive league and our offense sucks big fat hairy balls.

And ultimately all that needs to change from last year is less turnovers.

Pretty much. Turnovers are what sh*t the season away during the last 3 games. I think everyone hear would sign up for a similar year from Mark if he had less turnovers. I could do with less 3 and outs too, but I dont think the offense isnt fixable. I think the new system will help.

LOL @ comparing losing Coles in his prime coming off a 90 catch, 1200 yards, 5 TD season to a 35 year old Plaxico Burress

Who are we making up for? Seriously? LT rushed for 20 yards a game last year. Yeah, I think three scrubs can do better than that. Go figure.

Pretty much. Turnovers are what sh*t the season away during the last 3 games. I think everyone hear would sign up for a similar year from Mark if he had less turnovers. I could do with less 3 and outs too, but I dont think the offense isnt fixable. I think the new system will help.

LOL @ comparing losing Coles in his prime coming off a 90 catch, 1200 yards, 5 TD season to a 35 year old Plaxico Burress

I wasnt. I said his logic sounded the same.

Who are we making up for? Seriously? LT rushed for 20 yards a game last year. Yeah, I think three scrubs can do better than that. Go figure.

If they felt McKnight could have done it LT wouldnt have been on the team last year....he could still make plays in space, something McKnight hasnt shown he's been able to do.

Watch the Raiders game from last year...LT on screen passes still had wiggle, still had solid instincts...McKnight hasnt shwon that yet

We drafted Hill on his combine numbers, period. Every one of his catches is available on youtube...he's running wide open down the field on 80% of them. He's a complete unknown right now. The numbers dont always translate to on the field....as a Jet fan you know we've been bruned on that before(Robertson...)

McKnight got benched on KOR duties last year.

Tebow is a big play guy? Really? He's a short yardage back.

Hill was drafted because he has significant big play ability, as well as the humility to block in the running game. It's a position littered with a$$holes, and he appears to be a hard working, stand up guy with incredible athletic ability. Somehow, I think he's gonna do okay.

McKnight got benched? Really? He led the NFL in KOR last year, and was Westoff's best returner in at least a decade.

You haven't seen the Virgin's highlight reels?

If they felt McKnight could have done it LT wouldnt have been on the team last year....he could still make plays in space, something McKnight hasnt shown he's been able to do.

Watch the Raiders game from last year...LT on screen passes still had wiggle, still had solid instincts...McKnight hasnt shwon that yet

Well, it could be that last season, with a shortened camp, that McKnight wasnt ready and LT was good insurance but now, in his 3 season, with a full camp maybe he is? I dunno, all I know is LT retired. lol

Hill was drafted because he has significant big play ability, as well as the humility to block in the running game. It's a position littered with a$$holes, and he appears to be a hard working, stand up guy with incredible athletic ability. Somehow, I think he's gonna do okay.

McKnight got benched? Really? He led the NFL in KOR last year, and was Westoff's best returner in at least a decade.

You haven't seen the Virgin's highlight reels?

I hope Hill does good too. We need him to be productive from the start.

Cromartie took over for McKnight last season, you don't remember?

Tebow's longest run last year was 32 yards. I love Tebow the football player and his toughness in short yardage...but he isnt Lesean Mccoy.

If they felt McKnight could have done it LT wouldnt have been on the team last year....

What they thought last year is irrelevant.

Since you seem to agree with these guys, please explain how we get from 8-8 last year to 8-8 at best this year. LT? Come on.

I hope Hill does good too. We need him to be productive from the start.

Cromartie took over for McKnight last season, you don't remember?

Cromartie was used situationally, McKnight wasn't benched. He led the league with a 31.6 yard average. Second place was four yards behind him. McKnight has explosive ability.

Didn't he get benched for the fumbles on the KOR? He is explosive though for sure.. if he can take care of the football he will be a weapon.

Cromartie was used situationally, McKnight wasn't benched. He led the league with a 31.6 yard average. Second place was four yards behind him. McKnight has explosive ability.

Based on what? His 3.1ypc career or a return against the Ravens where he wasnt touched?

and then was healthy and no longer on KR.

He wasn't healthy. He was limited in practice from the Chiefs game on and had his arm in a brace. Not exactly good form to put a guy with fumbling concerns on the field for full-time KR duty when his arm's in a brace, wouldn't you say?

I agree with this. Rex is everything that the "establishment" (good choice of words by the way) hates to see do well, but loves to kick when he is down. I can recall listening to the NFL channel on my Sirius radio during the playoff runs we had in both 09 and 10. Every single week , and on most shows, they would talk about how Rex would get out coached and how Sanchez was a fraud etc. This happened every single week. I even heard one guy say that Rex's mentor Marvin Lewis would show Rex exactly how to coach a real football team. LOL

Then after the Jets would win, they would make excuses.

It happened both seasons. What took place in 11 made so many people happy. There may have never been a more polarizing happening in NFL history as far as the blood lust of the media goes. It was mob mentality and they liked it. What we are seeing now is the continuation of that. They are all hoping Rex and the Jets fail. but not only fail. They want Chants of TEBOW in the crowd and will go to any lengths to get it. They want the best player (revis) to be reminded about his contract every 5 minutes. They want Coples to be a lazy slouch. They want Green to suck carrying the load, Holmes to explode on Sanchez, Tebow, Sparano and Rex. It goes on and on and on.

Brace yourselves. This is going to be the worst year for media coverage in Jets history. Last season was the right hook that staggered the younger challenger to the championship belt. Expect the flurry of blows to try and take us out.

100% accurate. i for one love it. doom and gloom, jets circus, team imploding, etc. REDEMTION

Its really no different than it was in 2011. Jets were SB contenders again, assuming Sanchez turned the corner. And then, even with a his inconsistency, the Jets were primed for the playoffs going into the 4th quarter of the season sitting at 8-5. Then Sanchez turned into pure sh*t even worse than before and the season went into the sh*tter.

I really dont get too wrapped up in this type of sh*t because all these media heads are morons and almost 95% of their predictions are wrong, but I dont get how you go from SB aspirations, have a disappointing season at 8-8, get better during the offseason and then a year later 8-8 is your ceiling. Its pretty illogical.

Yes and no. Lost in the season recap is that through the first 10-ish games, McKnight was averaging 40 yards per kick return. Makes scoring a whole lot easier when, on average, you get an extra 15+ yards to start every offensive drive. Hope that happens again this season, but it's about as likely to happen as Santonio Holmes winning a Classiest Athlete Alive award.

Archived