Training Camp Notes - Sunday 7.29.2012

The Gun Of Bavaria

ESPN.com: AFC East [Print without images]

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tebow takes reps, won't fret about scrutiny

By Jane McManus/ESPN New York

Rich Barnes/US PresswireHow did Tim Tebow feel about the start of Jets camp? Would you believe he was excited?

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Tim Tebow got his reps in as Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano looked on carefully. Sparano reminded the Jets' backup quarterback to work on his pacing and his rhythm, letting Tebow know when he got it right.

After one successful throw downfield, Sparano patted Tebow on the back of the helmet as he returned from the line of scrimmage.

Unofficial stats from practice

Team drills (11-on-11)

Player Comp/Att TD INT

Sanchez 7/8 0 0

Tebow 4/4 0 0

Passing drills (7-on-7)

Player Comp/Att TD INT

Sanchez 4/8 0 1

Tebow 4/6 0 0

In terms of time with the ball, there wasn't much difference between the backup and starting quarterback Mark Sanchez on the first day of Jets camp. Both got plenty of reps, and Tebow had the additional time working with the punt team.

Afterward, Sanchez and Tebow paused for media scrums about equal in size. But if you worry their relationship might strain under the constant scrutiny, Tebow said not to worry.

"I think that's something we honestly handle pretty well, just talking about it, and there's nothing we can really do," Tebow said. "It's who we are and where we're placed at and there's not a lot that we can control about it. I think our relationship really helps with that ... just knowing that we don't control anything that happens outside of the building."

Tebow completed all four of his passes, all short. Rex Ryan offered a mixed review of Tebow’s first day, and he talked a little about the options he presents in pass protection.

"The goal is to keep the punt return team off balance and not let them know what we're doing," Tebow said.

Whether there is any disappointment that, after taking the Broncos to the playoffs last season, he comes in as the backup to another team, Tebow didn't let on.

"Always the first day you're very excited,” said Tebow, using the description he gravitates to most. "I felt like because it was a new team I was probably a little extra excited."

Very true. What gets me more is the reports about offensive lineman looking good when they weren't wearing pad. Seriously? It is very hard to grade a lot of this if there is no chance of contact on any given play.

Did Coples get his customary six sacks today?

Maybin had two yesterday.

Ah, I do with JetNation was up at camp though.

Once I heard buses full of church groups were going to be there, I decided against going up this weekend. It was hard enough to get a good look at the practices pre-Tebow (they only make one sideline available). I can't imagine what it's like up there right now.

I might go up next weekend for the scrimmage, though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/Steiny31

Asked Hayden Smith if he sees himself as a blocking TE or a pass catching TE. He said both. I'm not betting against him. Great guy. #nyj

#Jets fans, get used to the name @EllisLankster26. This guy has absolutely killed it during camp. Can't stress how amazing he's looked.

Rex Ryan said @AustinHoward68 and @BigDame900 really stood out today. #nyj

Hope you guys enjoyed my updates today. Tried my best to bring the fans all the action. #nyj

Garrett McIntyre was very impressive today. Aaron Maybin as well. Maybin doesn't stop talking, very loud, very active.

https://mobile.twitt...com/#!/Steiny31

Asked Hayden Smith if he sees himself as a blocking TE or a pass catching TE. He said both. I'm not betting against him. Great guy. #nyj

#Jets fans, get used to the name @EllisLankster26. This guy has absolutely killed it during camp. Can't stress how amazing he's looked.

Rex Ryan said @AustinHoward68 and @BigDame900 really stood out today. #nyj

Hope you guys enjoyed my updates today. Tried my best to bring the fans all the action. #nyj

Garrett McIntyre was very impressive today. Aaron Maybin as well. Maybin doesn't stop talking, very loud, very active.

Awesome stuff Ryno. It's appreciated

"@Steiny31: I don't know what the hell got into Bilal Powell, but man, that kid was impressive. He got reps with the first team. Very impressed."

This is the best news of the day!

Can't be. JN has already deemed him useless.

"@Steiny31: I don't know what the hell got into Bilal Powell, but man, that kid was impressive. He got reps with the first team. Very impressed."

every position on offense is basically open so this is great to hear...we need someone to step up

If Powell becomes the 3rd back, Ganaway's only shot on the team is at the 2nd Fullback. That said, that is a decent stable of 5 backs. But it all remains the same, Shonn Greene has to stay healthy for that group to really be impressive.

I dont think anyone deemed him useless ...the only time we got to see him last year was with the second and thrid string OL which was a total disaster and a few carries during the regular season. He looked like he had some burst in the first pre season game last year then he got hammered. Cant really blame the kid hopefully he gets some reps with the first teamers this year during preseason or at the very least he gets to run behind a second team OL that at least pretends to be on the field.

Thanks for the update Ryno :)

i was impressed by chaz schilens. he didnt really make any amazing stand out plays, but hes fast as hell and just as tall as stephen hill. if he stays healthy, i think he can be a solid 3rd reciever. bilal powell was really quick and made some great plays. maybin got in on the action frequently and looks promising. I'm really excited about stephen hill. His first move after every catch came really quickly and should be due for a lot of YAC this season. Greg Mcelroy picked up where he left off last offseason, and was very consistent despite throwing a pick to antonio allen. I am hoping Travis baltz beats out t.j. conley for the punting position. I know its early to tell with kickers, but baltz's punts went farther and had way more hang time than conley's. But out of all the players, the one who i think improved the most is joe mcknight. He looks much bigger and hasn't lost a step to his quickness. his legs still look like toothpicks, but really big toothpicks. He found holes on kickoff drills and had some good runs in team drills. I am very excited to see how joe does this season, and if he can be the #2, or even #1 RB on this team.

^Far be it for me to disparage the work of a young Jets fan, but Steiny is the Jets version of the spastic kid from Almost Famous who follows Led Zeppelin around.

If he was ripping on the players, you would be the first one here pasting links to it. You just don't like anything positive being written about ANY player on the team, because that would mean that same player was brought in by Tanny and we all know you won't give him any credit for anything.

If he was ripping on the players, you would be the first one here pasting links to it. You just don't like anything positive being written about ANY player on the team, because that would mean that same player was brought in by Tanny and we all know you won't give him any credit for anything.

Nonsense. I'd cut and paste the full text and bold the areas that best suit my many anti-Jets agendas.

This dude, in his last handful of tweets, refers to no fewer than three different Jets as "my boy..." I smell a lack of objectivity there.

Uh-oh--the old tight "Gimme a new contract" hamstring is back.

Really don't think that was the case. He practiced, did all the individual stuff but sat out team drills. Don't think this was a message of any sort.

i was impressed by chaz schilens. he didnt really make any amazing stand out plays, but hes fast as hell and just as tall as stephen hill. if he stays healthy, i think he can be a solid 3rd reciever. bilal powell was really quick and made some great plays. maybin got in on the action frequently and looks promising. I'm really excited about stephen hill. His first move after every catch came really quickly and should be due for a lot of YAC this season. Greg Mcelroy picked up where he left off last offseason, and was very consistent despite throwing a pick to antonio allen. I am hoping Travis baltz beats out t.j. conley for the punting position. I know its early to tell with kickers, but baltz's punts went farther and had way more hang time than conley's. But out of all the players, the one who i think improved the most is joe mcknight. He looks much bigger and hasn't lost a step to his quickness. his legs still look like toothpicks, but really big toothpicks. He found holes on kickoff drills and had some good runs in team drills. I am very excited to see how joe does this season, and if he can be the #2, or even #1 RB on this team.

Were you at camp? Awesome....

This news excites me. He wasn't even a real consideration as far as my opinions f the team this season and I already felt pretty good about them. If he can step up and become something of an impact player, that would be a wonderful surprise. Very similar to a Sapp on defense. No one is really even considering him in their excitement for the D all that much, but if he could come on.... oh boy!

all of this maybin talk scares the hell out of me.....he's good but not great and that means hunter is sucking again.

Who says Maybin can't be great ? he is invigorated and excited at a real opportunity to get more playing time. Hope and opportunity mixed with speed and talent can be a great recipe for success.

I understand your fears, but why make Maybin having an impact into Hunter sucking? Why turn a positive into a negative so early in camp? That's called looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Nonsense. I'd cut and paste the full text and bold the areas that best suit my many anti-Jets agendas.

This dude, in his last handful of tweets, refers to no fewer than three different Jets as "my boy..." I smell a lack of objectivity there.

And did you find any Tweets from other people criticizing those same players?

Cimini - Sanchez and Tebow both 1-for-7 in team drills. Defense wins the day. #Jets

But wait! Mark is a so much better passer than crappy weak-armed and inaccurate Tim is,,,,

and Tim is getting the obvious advantage of working with the 2nd team offense,,,

instead of just being stuck in with the 1st team players.... :animal0029:

Archived