Jets putting together a package for Cromartie to play receiver

Jetfan13

We all wish he would tackle like Revis, but he gets paid the big bucks to cover people. I'd rather have Cromartie than some scrub who loves to hit people and can't cover.

We've got one of those too, his name is Eric Smith.

Of course, even that love to hit only really works when he doesn't inexplicably trip and fall untouched.

I'm in favor of whatever can get Sanchez going to throw the deep ball already. I don't care if it takes Ducasse being sent on fly patterns. Whatever works, do it.

I thought you were going to say: "I'm all in favor of Cro at WR because Sanchez likes to throw to DBs anyway."

Don't mind me, I was just being a smart ass. You had to be there.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Story is here...

Antonio Cromartie proclaimed himself the Jets’ second-best wide receiver Tuesday, and Chaz Schilens isn’t happy about it.

Schilens said he felt slighted. “I think most of the guys did,” he said.

“I’ll let him think whatever he wants,” Schilens added. “I think he thinks receiver is a little different from what it actually is. He’s unbelievably talented and he plays cornerback.”

Rex Ryan, who admitted that he lost the pulse of the locker room last season, made it clear that this will not fester.

"I’m going to say this right now," Ryan said after practice on Wednesday. "Listen to me when I tell you this: I’m aware of what was said. I’m on top of it. I’m telling you that right now and it will not be a problem. That’s all I’m going to say about the whole thing."

I like Rex's approach this year.

Either way, Cro didn't need to say what he said. Why get people riled up already?

Why not? Let the receivers prove they can do the job. If it riles them up enough to beat Cro in practice, the comments will've been well worth it.

Why not? Let the receivers prove they can do the job. If it riles them up enough to beat Cro in practice, the comments will've been well worth it.

Don't get that mentality. The receivers have all the competition they need. They're competing to be on the roster of an NFL team and competing for depth chart position. Pissing people off isn't a good way to motivate people. Competition is and it inherently exists in a training camp.

Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano plans to build a select set of plays for cornerback Antonio Cromartie at wide receiver.

“They’re trying to make up a ‘Cro Package,’” Cromartie told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News after a rain-soaked practice in front of 2,588 fans on Saturday. “So I’ll see what goes in there.”

On Friday, Rex Ryan revealed that Cromartie might see some playing time at wide receiver, but the details of how he will be incorporated remain uncertain. Cromartie, who lined up at wideout for five snaps last season (with no receptions and one rushing attempt), according to Pro Football Focus, is eager to be a situational two-way player.

Cromartie’s athleticsm, wingspan and great hands make him an intriguing offensive option.

“I believe I can do it,” Cromartie said. “You got to pick your spots. You got to figure out what routes I can run, what routes I can’t run. That’s what we’re going to do.”

Cromartie said that he caught passes from Mark Sanchez during Organized Team Actvities in the offseason. Although he admitted that he’ll likely be asked to run a few specific pass patterns, he was confident in his ability to execute just about all of them.

“I can run every route in the route tree,” said Cromartie, who also revealed that his coaches at Florida State had designs of using him at receiver before a knee injury derailed the plan.

More stupid crap.....I think Sanchez should play the O Line and Tebow play LB.....Give me a break.

Antonio Cromartie didn’t address the media after practice, but Chaz Schilens said that he’s fine with the cornerback after he said that he was the second-best wide receiver on the team.

“I was probably a little agitated,” Schilens said on Thursday. “I probably said some stuff I shouldn’t have. Everything’s taken care of. No problem with Cro and do what’s best for the team and go from there.”

“Antonio Cromartie is a hell of an athlete,” Schilens added. He could play wide receiver if he wanted to.”

Schilens said that he spoke to Cromartie and have moved on.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/08/mark-sanchez-is-fine-with-getting-substituted-out-for-tim-tebow-near-the-goal-line

Archived