Revis and Cromartie coaching Hill

Ranick10

Receiver Stephen Hill will start in the Jets' offense right from the start of the 2012 season, so a few savvy Jets veterans are making sure he has everything he needs.

Hill was selected by Gang Green in the second round of April's draft, and he's been working opposite Santonio Holmes at the No. 2 receiver spot.

Throughout the first part of training camp, Holmes, cornerback Darrelle Revis and cornerback Antonio Cromartie have been in Hill's ear after every drill, sharing words of wisdom and trying to get the young wideout up to NFL speed as quickly as possible.

"They're always on top of me, because these guys want to win,"

Hill told NewYorkJets.com's Eric Allen. "I'm right here with them."

Hill is getting a crash-course going up against Revis, considered the best cornerback in the NFL.

"He was very physical with me, and also Cromartie," Hill said. "Those guys right after we were done with that, they come right in my ear, tell me what I need to do."

Having the former Super Bowl MVP Holmes around to offer advice doesn't hurt, either.

"'Tone, every time he's not in, he watches my every move," Hill said. "Even how I walk to the line, how I carry myself. He's just trying to police that up, and make sure I come out here looking like a professional, and running routes like a professional as well."

Link

It's nice to see the veterans taking time out to help get Hill up to speed. The quicker he starts understanding pro offense and defense the better he'll be. He's already showing a lot of promise, so let's hope this gets him where he needs to be.

Going up against Revis, Cro and Wilson daily should help him get used to getting jammed at the LOS. Since we do a lot of man press, it should help Hill get over any issue's of getting off the line fast.

Definitely a good point. That goes for the offense as a whole. They should benefit tremendously from going up against such a tough defense.

Definitely a good point. That goes for the offense as a whole. They should benefit tremendously from going up against such a tough defense.

Though it hasnt in the past....j/k.

The thing they've all been saying that I think should help is the tempo because of Tony S. Reports are, they are doubling the amount of reps they're getting this season compared to last couple.

Though it hasnt in the past....j/k.

The thing they've all been saying that I think should help is the tempo because of Tony S. Reports are, they are doubling the amount of reps they're getting this season compared to last couple.

And they announced today that Tebow and Sanchez are getting buzzers cause they're holding on to the ball too long. Curious to see how each responds. Especially Tebow.

And they announced today that Tebow and Sanchez are getting buzzers cause they're holding on to the ball too long. Curious to see how each responds. Especially Tebow.

They should do that, and not give them a check down option cuz Mark will go straight to it, right away. lol

You would think, but I've heard in the past few offseasons that the defense being super aggressive and just dominating all summer long has actually stunted the offense's growth. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I have no idea.

I still say Hill will be better than Edwards, you'll all see.

I think so too. Sanchez got comfortable lofting things up to Edwards when he was unsure where to throw. I wonder if he'll build that trust with Hill too.

I think so too. Sanchez got comfortable lofting things up to Edwards when he was unsure where to throw. I wonder if he'll build that trust with Hill too.

I think he will / should build that trust in him. He's training with the best CB in the league. He's also quick so I already have butterflies.

I think he will / should build that trust in him. He's training with the best CB in the league. He's also quick so I already have butterflies.

The Calvin Johnson comparisons were likely a bit hyperbolic, but if he can be anywhere near that caliber that would be fantastic. Probably wouldn't happen for a couple seasons though.

They should do that, and not give them a check down option cuz Mark will go straight to it, right away. lol

So the buzzer will be the magic cure for Sanchez? I guess the air-horns they used last year didn't take. Maybe the buzzer is up his keester.

When was the last time the jets had a real deep threat- of course we have to have a QB that can get him the ball too.

I'm far from a huge fan of Sanchez, but I don't have nearly the level of concern in his ability in the deep passing game as a lot seem to. Last year was without a doubt an unmitigated disaster in that department, but I think you can't discount the issues with pass protection and perhaps more importantly, the complete lack of deep threat in the receiving corps. It says something when the longest catch of the year belonged to a backup RB in his 30s, and the second longest to a TE. I felt Sanchez's deep ball was actually one of his greatest strengths his first two years here, so I find it hard to believe that suddenly became something he's incapable of doing anymore. If Hill can play up to his potential, I think Sanchez will be more than happy to take his shots just as he did with Braylon. Of course that's not to say I think Sanchez doesn't have some other serious issues in his play that need to be resolved, I just think there are far greater areas of concern than his deep ball.

When was the last time the jets had a real deep threat- of course we have to have a QB that can get him the ball too.

Any QB can throw the bomb, its Hill becomming that WR that can run a 15 yard square in and make catches over the middle of the field, while getting separation. Sanchez's accuracy has sucked with those types of passes as well....many times they sail.

I mean the Jets are long over due...we havent been able to consistently pick up those 15-25 yard chunk passing plays down the middle of the field since Vinny's been here.

All this buzzer, and horn stuff does is hinder Mark's, and any other QB's growth it puts unneeded thoughts in his head, how they can't see this is beyond me. Can anyone else think of a succesful NFL QB that had all these crazy drills put on them to perform better, and actually be succesful?

Regardless if you think Mark is a good QB, or is a waste of time, all this is doing is confusing the kid more, he needs to learn how to be an NFL QB by playing with in HIMSELF, and either can, or can't do it, no gimmick like these drills will bring out some untapped skill, it will only cause him to think unnessasarry things while already trying to make a split decision with the football in an already confusing situation.

he needs to learn how to be an NFL QB by playing with in HIMSELF

a horn is not perfect but at least it's something. Telling a guy to play within himself isn't gonna work. If you tell a man to play with himself that might work.

The Jets got Hill right where he should have been picked up, outside of the first without using the 16th pick. For that alone I think he will be a monster. Getting tips from guys who know how to beat WRs with his size is only going to help him.

Best draft for them since '07. Put it in the muhfckin bank.

The Jets got Hill right where he should have been picked up, outside of the first without using the 16th pick. For that alone I think he will be a monster. Getting tips from guys who know how to beat WRs with his size is only going to help him.

Best draft for them since '07. Put it in the muhfckin bank.

The thing that's funny about it, and I know I will probably catch me some heat for saying it, but I think actually having Cro in particular could be extra helpful for a player like Hill. Before anyone gets pissed, I'm not even beginning to say that he's the better CB of the two, that honor clearly belongs to Revis. However, of the two, Cro is the one who is literally built to cover the exact type of WR that Hill is supposed to be. Revis can surely have tons to say and help with as far as technique and all of that goes, but Cro is the one who Hill is never going to get away with trying to simply outleap and crap like that, which a lot of WRs built like him tend to get into the bad habit of relying on. I think getting to experience both types of that play from two very different CBs (in terms of play style) is good, the fact that it's from two of the best man cover corners in the league doesn't hurt either.

a horn is not perfect but at least it's something. Telling a guy to play within himself isn't gonna work. If you tell a man to play with himself that might work.

Every single QB to ever play the game did it their way, the greats, the mediocre, and the terrible. If Mark doesn't get rid of the ball in the pocket quick enough for the Jets liking, I can understand that, but at the same time they need to understand who Mark is as a QB, he is not gonna throw the ball until he see's the read, he likes to stretch out plays, and move with the ball to bye himself some time, he has not perfected the art of the "pocket presence" like some other QB's who are succesful with this style example Aaron Rodgers. so maybe the Jets should be more focused on drills to help Mark be better at who he is as a QB, and help him TRY, and learn this skill so Mark can have a chance at reaching the potential the Jets thought they saw when they drafted him as early as they did, he is not a check down QB, it is not natural for him, and you can see that, the Jets forced him to think this way last year, and he completed almost as many check down passes to the DL then the actual check down options.

Once just once I would like the Jets coaching staff to get out of their comfort zone, and let Mark get into his, then, and only then will you find out if he is capable of being a good NFL QB. The Jets will never find the awnser if they keep trying to turn Mark Sanchez into Chad Pennington, if that is what they want, then they should just start McLroy from week 1 this year, and trade Mark to the highest bidder. I still believe Mark will be a good NFL QB some day, but unfortunatly I don't think it will be with the Jets, my prediction is he is the replacement for Matt Schaub in 2014 maybe sooner, and he will excel in the Kubiak offense in which he already has had a ton of success in at USC.

All this buzzer, and horn stuff does is hinder Mark's, and any other QB's growth it puts unneeded thoughts in his head, how they can't see this is beyond me. Can anyone else think of a succesful NFL QB that had all these crazy drills put on them to perform better, and actually be succesful?

Regardless if you think Mark is a good QB, or is a waste of time, all this is doing is confusing the kid more, he needs to learn how to be an NFL QB by playing with in HIMSELF, and either can, or can't do it, no gimmick like these drills will bring out some untapped skill, it will only cause him to think unnessasarry things while already trying to make a split decision with the football in an already confusing situation.

The Packers use the same buzzer system. seems to work pretty well.

Agreed. I never liked this type of thing and have to think that when he backs up to pass he is thinking about the buzzer from the first second. Silly nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Although that color code that Rex pulled mid season in 09 seemed to work. Who knows?

Archived