Jets To Retire #90

Maxman

The NY Jets announced today that they will retire # 90 in honor of Jets great Dennis Byrd.

At halftime of the Jets-Dolphins game on October 28, the Jets will honor Dennis Byrd with the retirement of his No. 90 jersey. Byrd, a defensive end, was selected by the Jets in the 1989 draft and recorded 27 sacks in his first three seasons, a number bettered by only two players in their first three seasons in Jets history. Byrd’s #90 jersey has not been worn since he suffered his career-ending injury and will be officially retired in this halftime ceremony. The Jets-Dolphins game is being presented by Toyota.

The NY Jets announced today that they will retire # 90 in honor of Jets great Dennis Byrd.

At halftime of the Jets-Dolphins game on October 28, the Jets will honor Dennis Byrd with the retirement of his No. 90 jersey.  Byrd, a defensive end, was selected by the Jets in the 1989 draft and recorded 27 sacks in his first three seasons, a number bettered by only two players in their first three seasons in Jets history.  Byrd’s #90 jersey has not been worn since he suffered his career-ending injury and will be officially retired in this halftime ceremony.  The Jets-Dolphins game is being presented by Toyota.

Dennis Byrd was injured in his 4th season with the Jets.  He had 27 sacks in his young career and for those that never saw Dennis play, he had a motor that never stopped.  He played with heart, energy and the Jets are honoring a true Jets great by retiring # 90.

From Wikipedia:

Byrd suffered a neck injury during an NFL game against the
Kansas City Chiefs
on November 29, 1992. During the play, he rushed in an attempt to sack Chiefs
quarterback
Dave Krieg
, but Krieg stepped up to avoid the tackle, and Byrd collided with Jets teammate
Scott Mersereau
. He ducked his head at the last moment before he collided with Mersereau’s chest.
[1]
The head-first collision resulted in a broken C-5
vertebra
that left him unable to walk for the time being. Eventually, after extensive physical therapy, he would walk again but he couldn’t go back to playing football.

You can read more about Dennis Byrd in our

di
di

1VLdNTM2y2A

View the full article

i am going to play devils advocate here and I know it's a deeply unpopular stance to take. Dennis Byrd. 4 seasons. No Pro bowls. This is a player best known for breaking his neck on the field, when his teammate crashed into him. Yes his career started well, Yes his off the field recovery was heroic. But I don't see why a player like Coples who wore 90 in college, has to defer respect to Dennis Byrd. When I see Jets fans wearing #90 I wonder what are we celebrating here? The ability to recover from a gruesome injury? At this point ya might as well retire #80 Wayne Chrebet too cause he's got a story that make people feel good. Or how about Al Toon #88 that dude couldn't even look at sunlight for a decade. THe lions should retire Mike Utley. I'm sorry for being such a dick. I know I'm a bastard for making this argument. Klecko pro bowl at 3 positions, Namath and Maynard are basically HOF caliber players. It seems the standards for what it takes to get a jersey retired are slipping.

i am going to play devils advocate here and I know it's a deeply unpopular stance to take. Dennis Byrd. 4 seasons. No Pro bowls. This is a player best known for breaking his neck on the field, when his teammate crashed into him. Yes his career started well, Yes his off the field recovery was heroic. But I don't see why a player like Coples who wore 90 in college, has to defer respect to Dennis Byrd. When I see Jets fans wearing #90 I wonder what are we celebrating here? The ability to recover from a gruesome injury? At this point ya might as well retire #80 Wayne Chrebet too cause he's got a story that make people feel good. THe lions should retire Mike Utley. I'm sorry for being such a dick. Klecko pro bowl at 3 positions, Namath and Maynard are basically HOF caliber players. It seems the standards for what it takes to get a jersey retired are slipping.

If this was the NY Yankees or even the football Giants, he wouldn't have his number retired. You say the standards are slipping but let's call the Jets history what it is, and the Jets aren't exactly running out of numbers here. But more importantly the Jets are celebrating how Dennis Byrd carried himself throughout adversity.

On the field he was a very good player. Was he going to be a hall of famer? Doubtful. But he was going to be a very good NY Jet for a long time. That is what it seemed.

So the Jets reward one of their one. They honor their history which they have just done a terrible job of.

That said the next #'s due to be retired will be in 12 years when Mangold and Revis retire. :)

At this point ya might as well retire #80 Wayne Chrebet too cause he's got a story that make people feel good.

You do realize 80 has been unofficially retired for the last 7 years, right? Just as Byrd's #90 has been for 20 years now. The team had already clearly made the decision they were never giving out his number again, what exactly is it accomplishing by not officially retiring the number? It's a nice gesture and really does no harm whatsoever, and it's a bit of a leap to compare Byrd's story to those other players you mentioned.

If this was the NY Yankees or even the football Giants, he wouldn't have his number retired. You say the standards are slipping but let's call the Jets history what it is, and the Jets aren't exactly running out of numbers here. But more importantly the Jets are celebrating how Dennis Byrd carried himself throughout adversity.

On the field he was a very good player. Was he going to be a hall of famer? Doubtful. But he was going to be a very good NY Jet for a long time. That is what it seemed.

So the Jets reward one of their one. They honor their history which they have just done a terrible job of.

That said the next #'s due to be retired will be in 12 years when Mangold and Revis retire. :)

Psssst, don't tell anyone, but just between you and me, I've got this crazy feeling #28 might also be retired before then.

Only one trip to Jersey this season, week #4 against SF. Going to the Seattle game, thats gonna cost a small fortune. 11 days in Oregon and Seattle.

When you get to NJ this time, if you decide to drink in a bar that is in my backyard, make sure you give me the customary 7 minutes notice. lol........

That made me laugh out loud for real.

Namath hasn't been a Jet for 40 + years yet is still the most recognizable face of the franchise. LOL WINNER = MAX

When you get to NJ this time, if you decide to drink in a bar that is in my backyard, make sure you give me the customary 7 minutes notice. lol........

I didn't know, I will ask from now on. Was a nice surprise, even if you did show up 5 mins before we were leaving.....

Archived