Make or break years?

RyanBe_Tweetin

Wilson and Ellis aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Wilson may not yet be what they hoped, but he's still a valuable part of this defense. And a guy with the size and potential of Ellis you simply do not give up on that quickly, just look at Pouha for no more perfect of an example of that.

McKnight will probably last throughout his rookie contract without any issues.

Conner? Who the hell knows. He could end up not even making it this year.

Greene is almost a sure-fire goner after this year barring a hugely impressive breakout season. My prediction all along has been they'll run Greene's ass into the ground then let him walk since his deal is up.

Vlad is in an absolute make or break year. His excuses have run out, so this is his year. They're clearly giving him every opportunity in camp this year by moving him between Brick and Mangold and letting him compete with Slauson.

Sanchez is in sort of a make or break year, but not quite. He won't be gone after this year simlpy because it's impractical for the Jets to even try to get rid of him given his contract. He'll get this year to prove he's the guy, and if he doesn't convince the Jets this year that he's the future, I'm guessing they'll be hitting the draft early for their next QB and possibly giving Sanchez one last run at the start of next year before finally benching his ass for the rook at some point (while maybe wasting some of our time with Tebow at some point in there). If he doesn't get it done this year, the only way Sanchez has a chance of sticking around after the 2013 season is if he gets lucky enough to manage to pull a Brees/Rivers type situation out of his ass.

I was gonna make this really long but I'm too lazy so I'll make it short:

Kyle Wilson

Kenrick Ellis

Joe McKnight

Jon Conner

Shonn Greene

Vladimir Ducasse

Mark Sanchez

Is this make or break years for any of these guys?

Wilson played really well last season and I think he'll only get better and they will take their time with Ellis.

McKnight has a huge opportunity this year, but dont think its a make or break season.

Connor probably is in a make or break training camp.

Greene will be a FA and will almost certainly have a suitor after the season.

Vlad is hard to tell, he's likely a back up but of any of these guys he's probably the one.

Sanchez is going to have a break out season.

My liver

That obviously

Sanchez

McKnight might not even make it past training camp

Powell

Ducasse

Greene already sucks so he's gone anyway after this year

pretty much everyone on offense besides Brick and Mangold...and Holmes bc we have no choice

That obviously

Sanchez

Powell

Ducasse

pretty much everyone on offense besides Brick and Mangold...and Holmes bc we have no choice

This. It's easier to list who isn't in a make or break year for the offense. Hill, the two franchise OLmen, and Holmes.

That obviously

Sanchez

Powell

Ducasse

McKnight has a guaranteed roster spot, and will be the primary KOR and #2 RB. He will push Greene for for playing time all season.

Greene is almost certainly gone after this season. It's up to him to put up a contract year performance. I'm not as convinced as Bleedin that the Jets will run him into the ground. I expect McKnight to steal carries from him between the 20's, and Tebow to steal some in the redzone.

Powell's not in a make or break year, either, especially with the assumption that Greene is gone in 2013. He's facing an uphill battle to see much playing time at all this year behind Greene, McKnight, and Tebow. if anything, Powell could be in a make year by forcing the coaches to play him by having a great camp. But even if he can't do that, he'll still be here next season competing.

McKnight has a guaranteed roster spot, and will be the primary KOR and #2 RB. He will push Greene for for playing time all season.

Greene is almost certainly gone after this season. It's up to him to put up a contract year performance. I'm not as convinced as Bleedin that the Jets will run him into the ground. I expect McKnight to steal carries from him between the 20's, and Tebow to steal some in the redzone.

Powell's not in a make or break year, either, especially with the assumption that Greene is gone in 2013. He's facing an uphill battle to see much playing time at all this year behind Greene, McKnight, and Tebow. if anything, Powell could be in a make year by forcing the coaches to play him by having a great camp. But even if he can't do that, he'll still be here next season competing.

McKnight is currently battling Powell for the 3rd down back position. Every position is up for grabs on offense, except for Holmes spot essentially. If he loses, I can see him being cut....they wont keep him around to just return kicks if he cant do anything else.

McKnight's been my surprise cut for a while now. I dont get the sense they think he's very good.

(Thanks to Jason for cap #'s, saving a ton of looking up as always)

Make or break (on paper anyway):

Aaron Maybin

(high motor and great pre-season press notwithstanding, he may be too expensive to

re-sign if he's still not an every-down player)

Vladimir Ducasse

(roster spot more than money is the factor)

Bilal Powell

(or unless he becomes a ST demon he'll leave with Greene)

Wayne Hunter

(since most would consider
mediocre
to qualify as "make")

Sione Pouha

(indirectly, so don't laugh; if Ellis suddenly lives up to his hype or is even starter-worthy

then in 2013 they're not carrying 34 year old Pouha's $6M+ cap number)

Jeff Cumberland

(if he can stay on the field they may decide Keller isn't worth the long-term $$$ he

would command; otherwise Cumberland's a FA in '13)

Greg McElroy

(Other than the obvious, which is him seeing significant playing time and doing not badly,

Sanchez having a breakout season actually could save him. He's cheap enough and they could

use draft picks on other positions. Otherwise look for the Jets to use his roster spot on Sanchez's

real 2013 competition or 2014 heir apparent)

John Conner

(needs to start busting up LBers and safeties like he teased us with as a pre-season rookie

because one-dimensional blocking-only FBs come out every year as low-round picks or UDFAs)

Shonn Greene

(only putting his name here on the miracle-chance he turns into Michael Turner. I'd be

surprised if he's back in '13 when he won't cost only $600-800K on the cap anymore).

Any or all of the 6th-7th rounders (especially since there were so many this year)

Also based on this year Jets will have to decide which, if any, of these guys (and their increased cost) fit their future plans:

Matt Slauson

(FA)

Brandon Moore

(FA)

Dustin Keller

(FA)

LaRon Landry

(FA)

Bryan Thomas

(FA) - I only mean whether or not to bring back on a 1 year vet min contract again

Would take a miracle superstar season or a enormous pay cut to bring back any of:

Calvin Pace

(saves $8.5M to cut)

Bart Scott

(saves $7.1M to cut)

Eric Smith

(saves $3M to cut)

Barring an unforseen collapse, or something tragically career-ending, these guys others have mentioned are 100% safe given the draft or FA/cap cost to replace:

Sanchez

(though he'll get more competition than Tim Tebow if 2012 is no better than his first 3 seasons)

Wilson

Kerley

These low-cost guys can easily be justified to return in '13 even without a breakout season:

Ellis

McKnight

McElroy

(see above)

McKnight is currently battling Powell for the 3rd down back position. Every position is up for grabs on offense, except for Holmes spot essentially. If he loses, I can see him being cut....they wont keep him around to just return kicks if he cant do anything else.Sparano hasn't shown any interest in him up until this point, it wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in me if the Jets picked him up at this late stage.

McKnight's been my surprise cut for a while now. I dont get the sense they think he's very good.

Huh?

LG and RT are somewhat up for grabs, everything else is pretty much set. Powell winning the 3rd down back job would be a major upset, but it still wouldn't result in McKnight being released. McKnight would still be valuable as the KOR and backup RB.

The only other place where there might be a minor competition is at WR, but Hill will almost certainly start, and Kerley will almost certainly keep his slot position - despite the uncharacteristic public swipes at him from Rex and Tanny.

Huh?

LG and RT are somewhat up for grabs, everything else is pretty much set. Powell winning the 3rd down back job would be a major upset, but it still wouldn't result in McKnight being released. McKnight would still be valuable as the KOR and backup RB.

The only other place where there might be a minor competition is at WR, but Hill will almost certainly start, and Kerley will almost certainly keep his slot position - despite the uncharacteristic public swipes at him from Rex and Tanny.

How?

WR #2 sure isnt

Anthony Lynn said yesterday that the #2 back is completely up for grabs. If McKnights role is only KR....he's certainly on the bubble....especially if they bring in someone like Benson.

Brick, Mangold, Holmes, Sanchez, Keller are your only definites.

I'd even say RB #1 is up for grabs if Greene looks like dogsh*t again. Or at least I'd hope it is.

How?

WR #2 sure isnt

Anthony Lynn said yesterday that the #2 back is completely up for grabs. If McKnights role is only KR....he's certainly on the bubble....especially if they bring in someone like Benson.

Brick, Mangold, Holmes, Sanchez, Keller are your only definites.

Greene also as starting RB. Brandon Moore also as starting RG. Kerley as slot if you start 3 WR.

But besides Holmes, Sanchez, Ferguson, Greene, Mangold, Moore, Keller, Kerley, etc. there's really no 100% locks on offense.

Then again, that's 8 out of 11, and even the positions where there are "battles", the battles are minimal: Slauson will likely retain LG, Hill will likely start WR #2 unless hurt, and Hunter will start RT, unless someone is brought in to replace him.

Greene also as starting RB. Brandon Moore also as starting RG. Kerley as slot if you start 3 WR.

But besides Holmes, Sanchez, Ferguson, Greene, Mangold, Moore, Keller, Kerley, etc. there's really no 100% locks on offense.

Then again, that's 8 out of 11, and even the positions where there are "battles", the battles are minimal: Slauson will likely retain LG, Hill will likely start WR #2 unless hurt, and Hunter will start RT, unless someone is brought in to replace him.

Kerley is a lock? How? What has he ever done?

The locks youre listing were part of a sh*t unit last year. We couldnt throw the ball more than 10 yards, Greene cant get past the LOS without tripping over hiw own feet...if the Jets have locks on offense on day 4 of camp then we're looking at another sh*tty year from the unit.

Would take a miracle superstar season or a enormous pay cut to bring back any of:

Calvin Pace

(saves $8.5M to cut)

Bart Scott

(saves $7.1M to cut)

Eric Smith

(saves $3M to cut)

I think here you've found the money they'll need to keep Maybin if he can keep up, or improve upon, his 2011 performance - even if he's not an every down player. I think you're right about Pouha as a potential cap savings, too.

Cool thread. Great analysis above, Sperm.

I would say from a non-dollars and cents perspective, I agree with most of Matt and Ryan's list:

Sanchez

Every RB on the roster

Ducasse

Wilson

Maybin

Keller

Conley

Thanks!

I just don't think Kyle Wilson needs a breakout season to justify bringing back. Entering 2013 he'll still be a 26 year-old first round pick who sees the field a ton and costs more cap space to cut than to keep. So unless he shows himself to be of Matt Mulligan's level of uselessness or some GM on a crack bender offers us a 1st-2nd round draft pick, there's no way in hell he's going anywhere. If he's only mediocre and even if he takes a slight step backward in 2012 he's still coming back in 2013. This is absolutely not a make or break season for Wilson.

Kerley is a lock? How? What has he ever done?

He was good for a rookie, and has value on both offense and STs. Certainly a promising player in 2011, he'll be young and dirt cheap with a couple years of NFL exposure. Replacing him with a minimum-salary undrafted rookie - who likely would see the field far less than Kerley anyway - saves an insignificant $200K on the 2013 cap.

What do we have, so many great and proven long-term solutions at receiver or something that we couldn't justify his roster spot as a 5th or 6th WR for 1 more year?

Kerley would need to be stupid-awful, as in no longer being worthy of a roster spot on any NFL team, to get cut after only his 2nd season.

He was good for a rookie, and has value on both offense and STs. Certainly a promising player in 2011, he'll be young and dirt cheap with a couple years of NFL exposure. Replacing him with a minimum-salary undrafted rookie - who likely would see the field far less than Kerley anyway - saves an insignificant $200K on the 2013 cap.

What do we have, so many great and proven long-term solutions at receiver or something that we couldn't justify his roster spot as a 5th or 6th WR for 1 more year?

Kerley would need to be stupid-awful, as in no longer being worthy of a roster spot on any NFL team, to get cut after only his 2nd season.

I wasnt implying he was going to be cut. He's going to make the team, but not having an open competition for the slot WR...which I thought stoic was implying, would be idiotic considering how bad this offfense was last season.

And as a sidenote I like Kerley. I think he'll be pretty good.

Thanks!

I just don't think Kyle Wilson needs a breakout season to justify bringing back. Entering 2013 he'll still be a 26 year-old first round pick who sees the field a ton and costs more cap space to cut than to keep. So unless he shows himself to be of Matt Mulligan's level of uselessness or some GM on a crack bender offers us a 1st-2nd round draft pick, there's no way in hell he's going anywhere. If he's only mediocre and even if he takes a slight step backward in 2012 he's still coming back in 2013. This is absolutely not a make or break season for Wilson.

Agree on Wilson not needing to breakout in order to stick around. What I mean for some of these guys is that they need to have big years this year, and if they don't, they will probably just be mediocre players forever. Examples...

Sanchez... this is year 4. Training wheels are off. Kid has a lot of damn talent (albeit, not a lot of talented weapons around him this year). If he doesn't shine this year, I just don't think he will with the Jets. He might be good elsewhere later in his career, but not with the Jets.

Greene has been talked about ad nauseum. Unless he breaks out this year, he will be nothing more than a better version of Lamont Jordan-- a good backup. And again, not for the Jets.

Dustin Keller... still don't know what to make of this Mr. Potato Head look and think-a-like. Super skill set for a pass catching tight end (he might catch 90 balls with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning). But he does stupid crap and falls down too easily, and even though his blocking hasn't gotten better it's still bad enough that we had to roster the worst Jet football player in recent memory last season. That being said, Keller is Sanchez's best pal in the passing game and we desperately need him to catch 60-70 balls and score some touchdowns this year.

I think here you've found the money they'll need to keep Maybin if he can keep up, or improve upon, his 2011 performance - even if he's not an every down player. I think you're right about Pouha as a potential cap savings, too.

As with any FA, it depends on his demands. Have to consider not only whether they can fit his demands, but whether or not he's worth that much.

But if Ellis really steps it up this season Tannenbaum can clear some $22-23M of 2013 cap space from just those 4. Incidentally, this is where a bunch of Revis's new money in 2013 will come from. Principle shminciple: while I agree with not tearing up his 4-year contract after only 2 years and $33M pocketed, Tannenbaum could/should certainly do something with Revis with all that extra space next offseason.

I think Maybin stays. This coaching staff is versatile enough to find a place for a guy with his speed and work ethic. Sanchez isn't going anywhere. If he plays like sh*t who is going to take on that kind of contract? I think it's definitely make or break for Shonn Greene. The fanbase and coaches are growing tired of waiting for this guy to look how he did against the Chargers a couple years ago in the playoffs.

I wasnt implying he was going to be cut. He's going to make the team, but not having an open competition for the slot WR...which I thought stoic was implying, would be idiotic considering how bad this offfense was last season.

And as a sidenote I like Kerley. I think he'll be pretty good.

It's not about whether we're having an open competition or not... it's about Kerley vs. the crowd. Let's break it down:

Holmes - suited to the slot, but will be on the outside as one of this team's top 2 WR's.

Hill - big guy, good speed... could be #2, could be #4, but either way this is the type of guy you put outside the numbers

Chaz - see Hill

So who else has a shot to come and take the slot from Kerley? Because none of these three will. Scotty McKnight? Doubt it. Patrick Turner? No.

Maybe we have different definitions of lock. If you're presuming they bring a FA in to compete with him, that's cool.. but with the roster we have now I don't see how he isn't the slot receiver.

Good points, and I don't disagree at all that McKnight will get his carries. My belief in Greene getting ran into the ground has more to do with the change in offensive philosophy, which is sure to be upping the Jets' rush attempts this year, and Greene being the primary recipient of those. I have no doubt McKnight will be picking LT's load from last year, but I think as their only power back (as I don't expect to see much, if anything, from Ganaway this year), Greene will see all of the carries he had last year and plenty more in a more run-heavy offense. Top that off with the fact that the Jets have no reason to be even slightly worried about keeping him healthy or fresh, and the only real incentive to spread out the carries more would be if one of the other RB's really stands out. After all, if McKnight or Powell breaks out this year, than the rest of this is all meaningless. The one x-factor could of course be how much Tebow gets worked into the regular rushing offense.

I was gonna make this really long but I'm too lazy so I'll make it short:

Kyle Wilson

Kenrick Ellis

Joe McKnight

Jon Conner

Shonn Greene

Vladimir Ducasse

Mark Sanchez

Is this make or break years for any of these guys?

I dont think its a make or break year for WIlson. I think he's progressed rather well.

Ellis hasnt really played much so I wouldnt say its a make or break year for him either. He must show flashes though.

Joe McKnight was multiples better last year than his rookie year. He's okay.

This is a make or break year for the terminator, Ganaway is trying to make this team and its possible that he can make it as a fullback or special teams. If Ganaway looks good at fullback Conner better watch out.

Greene is in a make or break year though I feel that its a bit unfair. He had a better year than people give him credit for. He ran for over 1,000 yards with 4.2 YPC with that atrocious O-line last year. He only has 6 TD's though that number needs to be double digits this year. His numbers are similar to Bush and many people felt that this was Reggie Bush breakout year.

This is make or break for Vlad. No need to even explain that one.

Mark Sanchez is not in a make or break year. This however IS an important year. He needs to produce now that Schotty is gone and he has weapons on the outside again. He also needs to cut the pick 6's out of his game and throw for atleast 4000 yards/30TD's. I think that if he can produce 5 300+ yard games which I believe he certainly can, he'll be able to throw for 4000 yards. I'll also add that Matt Stafford has put pressure on Sanchez as well. What Stafford did last year was ridiculous.

Greene is in a make or break year though I feel that its a bit unfair. He had a better year than people give him credit for. He ran for over 1,000 yards with 4.2 YPC with that atrocious O-line last year. He only has 6 TD's though that number needs to be double digits this year. His numbers are similar to Bush and many people felt that this was Reggie Bush breakout year.

I think it's a tad excessive to call last year's OL atrocious. Certainly a disappointment, but I assure you there were far worse in the league.

That said, this HAS to be a make or break year for Greene. It's his contract year and outside of Sanchez completely blowing everyone away and turning into a top notch passer this year, this is going to be a heavy running team again next year, which means the Jets will be expecting plenty out of their running backs. Greene either needs to impress enough to earn himself a new contract as the Jets' starting HB, or it'll be time for him to move on.

That would be shocking. I expect him to continue to be pulled in the redzone, this year for Tim Tebow. I really don't think there's a chance that Greene is with the team beyond this season.

Mark Sanchez is not in a make or break year. This however IS an important year. He needs to produce now that Schotty is gone and he has weapons on the outside again. He also needs to cut the pick 6's out of his game and throw for atleast 4000 yards/30TD's. I think that if he can produce 5 300+ yard games which I believe he certainly can, he'll be able to throw for 4000 yards. I'll also add that Matt Stafford has put pressure on Sanchez as well. What Stafford did last year was ridiculous.

That ain't happening, either. The Jets haven't had a 4000 yard passer since Joe Namath was the first to ever throw for that many yards, and that trend will continue this season. Mark Sanchez and the Jets will be in great shape if Mark has the same numbers as last season, 3500 yards/26 TDs, but cuts turnovers by half. That, combined with an improved rushing attack, would give the Jets a top 10 offense, and that would be more than enough if their defense lives up to the hype.

Remember that the Tebow platoon effects Sanchez, too, especially if there's any truth to Timmy becoming the redzone QB (a mistake, IMHO). But even with Tebow, I don't expect the Jets to throw for 4000 yards as a team.

I think it's a tad excessive to call last year's OL atrocious. Certainly a disappointment, but I assure you there were far worse in the league.

That said, this HAS to be a make or break year for Greene. It's his contract year and outside of Sanchez completely blowing everyone away and turning into a top notch passer this year, this is going to be a heavy running team again next year, which means the Jets will be expecting plenty out of their running backs. Greene either needs to impress enough to earn himself a new contract as the Jets' starting HB, or it'll be time for him to move on.

good point

I dont think its a make or break year for WIlson. I think he's progressed rather well.

Ellis hasnt really played much so I wouldnt say its a make or break year for him either. He must show flashes though.

Joe McKnight was multiples better last year than his rookie year. He's okay.

This is a make or break year for the terminator, Ganaway is trying to make this team and its possible that he can make it as a fullback or special teams. If Ganaway looks good at fullback Conner better watch out.

This is make or break for Vlad. No need to even explain that one.

I put Kenrick up there because a lot of people don't like him or think he's any good but I think he'll be fine and a good replacement for Pouha later down the road. I just don't know what everyone sees in Wilson though, I don't think he's really made much improvement. I agree with you on Sanchez he has the ability to be a very good QB and he's surrounded with enough talent to succeed especially with the addition of Stephen Hill. He's that big bodied deep threat our offense lacked last season.

(Thanks to Jason for cap #'s, saving a ton of looking up as always)

Make or break (on paper anyway):

Aaron Maybin

(high motor and great pre-season press notwithstanding, he may be too expensive to

re-sign if he's still not an every-down player)

Vladimir Ducasse

(roster spot more than money is the factor)

Bilal Powell

(or unless he becomes a ST demon he'll leave with Greene)

Wayne Hunter

(since most would consider
mediocre
to qualify as "make")

Sione Pouha

(indirectly, so don't laugh; if Ellis suddenly lives up to his hype or is even starter-worthy

then in 2013 they're not carrying 34 year old Pouha's $6M+ cap number)

Jeff Cumberland

(if he can stay on the field they may decide Keller isn't worth the long-term $$$ he

would command; otherwise Cumberland's a FA in '13)

Greg McElroy

(Other than the obvious, which is him seeing significant playing time and doing not badly,

Sanchez having a breakout season actually could save him. He's cheap enough and they could

use draft picks on other positions. Otherwise look for the Jets to use his roster spot on Sanchez's

real 2013 competition or 2014 heir apparent)

John Conner

(needs to start busting up LBers and safeties like he teased us with as a pre-season rookie

because one-dimensional blocking-only FBs come out every year as low-round picks or UDFAs)

Shonn Greene

(only putting his name here on the miracle-chance he turns into Michael Turner. I'd be

surprised if he's back in '13 when he won't cost only $600-800K on the cap anymore).

Any or all of the 6th-7th rounders (especially since there were so many this year)

Also based on this year Jets will have to decide which, if any, of these guys (and their increased cost) fit their future plans:

Matt Slauson

(FA)

Brandon Moore

(FA)

Dustin Keller

(FA)

LaRon Landry

(FA)

Bryan Thomas

(FA) - I only mean whether or not to bring back on a 1 year vet min contract again

Calvin Pace

(saves $8.5M to cut)

Bart Scott

(saves $7.1M to cut)

Eric Smith

(saves $3M to cut)

Barring an unforseen collapse, or something tragically career-ending, these guys others have mentioned are 100% safe given the draft or FA/cap cost to replace:

Sanchez

(though he'll get more competition than Tim Tebow if 2012 is no better than his first 3 seasons)

Wilson

Kerley

These low-cost guys can easily be justified to return in '13 even without a breakout season:

Ellis

McKnight

McElroy

(see above)

That was a great breakdown of the money behind things. Don't see Scott, Hunter, Smith, Pace, Thomas, or Conley back next year. Greene could possibly come back if he has a breakout year this season

I think all the RBs fit for one reason or another. Greene needs a big year to get a contract - here or elsewhere. He'll be playing, but how much will he make? What will his role be? Powell was a horror last year, but he had no camp. He needs to rebound to show that he belongs in a rotation. McKnight needs to show that he belongs in the rotation for carries and is more than just a returner. Ganaway has the most leeway being so new, but he is a later pick and doesn't have much wiggle room either. Same for Conner who they may be getting tired of if he doesn't start adding something. With Greene likely gone, these guys have to step up to keep the team from adding a valid FA or higher pick that will keep these other guys down the depth chart. It's not that they will all be out of the league, but every one of them is auditioning for 2013. More than guys at most other positions, except maybe guard.

Archived